HELIOS - ASSEMBLED 2015-SEP-06 - (Caselabs SMH10 | Black/Copper | EVGA SR-2 )

No RADS between CPU/CPU nor CPU(x2)/GPU?

What for? As long as my flow rate is high enough the rise in temperature

from block to block will be inconsequential (not zero, of course, because

that's a thermodynamic impossibility, but negligibly small).

I'm a proponent of not just blathering on without supporting evidence,

so I recommend having a look at this image from this review of the SR-1 radiators:

hwlabs-sr1-360-th1.png?w=614

Now, as you can see, the water temperature difference between inlet and outlet

of the radiator was measured, and it was 0.71 C or less (the air, on

the other hand, gets warmed up rather significantly when cooling the radiator).

Assuming you have one radiator in your loop, that radiator will dump all the

heat the water has taken on from all the components, which means that the temp

rise over each individual components will be even smaller than the total water

temp drop over the radiator.

So, as you can easily see, putting radiators between components is not a

thermodynamic necessity (it doesn't hurt, it just doesn't really gain you much

either). . Priority should (at least IMHO) lie with making a clean loop, the rest

will sort itself out. :)

That is of course, provided I haven't made a fatal flaw in my thinking somewhere,

which I must admit is always a possibility. :lol:

EDIT:

I want those colors! And I want those drawing skills... :x and I want a lolly. 

halp..

Well, they're not that fancy. I'm shit at drawing anything else besides

technical parts. :lol:

Lol He has my father's handwriting! Alpen.. Are you...My?

Hm, let's think about that for a sec thinking.gif

Nah, I don't think you need to worry about that.

I'm trying to visualise your loop, but am having a hard time mapping the blocks to the motherboard. Would it be possible to add a legend?

Haha, that does not surprise me, it is rather abstract. But I'm not sure

what additional info a legend would contain, CPU0 PWR is the block for the

power distribution for CPU0 (the smaller one), and M/B is the second (larger)

block.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Looking like a good loop.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Haha, that does not surprise me, it is rather abstract. But I'm not sure

what additional info a legend would contain, CPU0 PWR is the block for the

power distribution for CPU0 (the smaller one), and M/B is the second (larger)

block.

I'm looking at this and trying to map the blocks in your drawing onto that, but I'm assuming now you're only watercooling the chip between the two CPU's?

Looking like a good loop.

I think I'm getting there ;)

I'm looking at this and trying to map the blocks in your drawing onto that, but I'm assuming now you're only watercooling the chip between the two CPU's?

Ah, I see. That is a very interesting block design, I'd never seen that before.

If you look at the pics of the MIPS block earlier in the thread you'll see that

it only consists of two pieces, the larger one being a combined block for the

power distribution for CPU 1, the M/B chips and the NF200 chips. I'm cooling the

same things as the block you've linked I think (can't really do much else, the

chipset for 1366 pulls almost 30 W as opposed to not even 10 W for its succesors

if I recall correctly, and the NF200's get rather hot as well from what I've heard),

just with two instead of three blocks overall.

EDIT:

One serious flaw I see in that block: The outlets for the large combo part

block the first GPU slot, do they not?

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

No he's water cooling everything in the diagram you linked + RAM and CPUs/GPU. He's using a different single block design instead of the two large MB blocks in that diagram (This one: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11201-helios-caselabs-smh10-blackcopper-evga-sr-2-geforce-titan-by-alpenwasser/?p=767445). It might help if you try to visualise the parts on one of his own pics (https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11201-helios-caselabs-smh10-blackcopper-evga-sr-2-geforce-titan-by-alpenwasser/?p=793926) that's what I did at least.

Looking at that image, he'll be snaking his way from the bottom (starting at the pumps) towards the right all the way to the bottom RAM slots, then up to the CPU and back all the way to the left and finally the big MB block, GPU and top rad.

Looking at that image, he'll be snaking his way from the bottom (starting at the pumps) towards the right all the way to the bottom RAM slots, then up to the CPU and back all the way to the left and finally the big MB block, GPU and top rad.

Pretty much. Starting at the pumps, it's down into the lower chamber, and

back into the smaller M/B block, then I do a snake-like route across the

M/B, into the GPU, the top radiator (which will have its ports at the case's

back, most likely), then back to the front into the res and the pumps.

EDIT:

One serious flaw I see in that block: The outlets for the large combo part

block the first GPU slot, do they not?

Yes, that design is flawed. It was just the first image I got from my Google Search, to see what parts needed watercooling.

Yes, that design is flawed. It was just the first image I got from my Google Search, to see what parts needed watercooling.

Hehe, no problem man. It was just that I'd never come across that design before

(and I'm not astonished why). The only blocks I've actually seen in builds are

the Mips, EKWB and Bitspower ones, along with nateman_doo's custom copper goodness

(a guy on OCN who makes custom blocks, sadly I learned of his endeavors too late

and had already purchased my blocks by then, but here's some pr0n of that block

for y'all)

(Credit to nateman_doo)

SANY0583.jpg

Yeah, I know, it's glorious! jawdrop.gif

EDIT:

@MG2R When did you become a mod? Congrats!

Nates block looks really good..but its no MIPS....

HcgMj1q.jpg

Pron.....just pure filthy pron..

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

Dayum!

Pretty much, yeah.

About 12 hours ago ;)

Came as a total surprise, but I'm very happy with the opportunity given to me.

Kewl! thumb.gif

Personally I must admit I wouldn't have the time to do that job properly, but it's

nice to have my own personal mod now. *evil laugh* :D

Nates block looks really good..but its no MIPS....

<MIPS pr0n>

Pron.....just pure filthy pron..

Hehe, I'm certainly not unhappy with my MIPS, especially now that is has those copper

bolts. And come to think of it, that massive copper block might have just overloaded

the build with copper and made it a bit too much. Nonetheless, the guy in me who has

a fetish for massive blocks of metal certainly gets a bit squishy in his knees when

looking at Nate's work. :D

Personally I must admit I wouldn't have the time to do that job properly,

I must admit, I'm scared I'll run into that problem as well, but I have talked about this with Slick and we'll see how things go.

but it's nice to have my own personal mod now. *evil laugh* :D

That's it, you're the first one to be ignored!

Unless, of course, there are some schnitzels, pizzas or bacon strips involved ;)

the guy in me

You might to watch out who you share this kind of information with ;)

Unless, of course, there are some schnitzels, pizzas or bacon strips involved ;)

We'll see ;)

You might to watch out who you share this kind of information with ;)

I meant the guy I'm in. No, wait, the gal I'm in? Aaargh, dammit! white-flag.gif

Excellent

<evil plotting>

Wait, are you the guy in me? How, why, when, where, I'm so confused now... seeing-stars.gif

Do all mods have access to me? Oh lord, must think nice thoughts, must think happy thoughts...

whip-2.gif

NO, not that! No, no, no!

Well, that derailed quickly...

Well, my head has a habit of finding scary places and then jumping there ASAP. 

We have all the access ;)

I'm not sure how I feel about that. thinking.gif 

except for admin-only sections of course...

I don't think I want to know what places they can go :lol:

Dat copper plate!

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

there are some schnitzels, pizzas or bacon strips involved ;)

Whassthis?

Im in,not sure what for for but bacon is hard to pass up.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

Hard? Mission impossible! :D

Congrats on the Mod! How did you even get it?

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Whassthis?

Im in,not sure what for for but bacon is hard to pass up.

Well, schnitzels bacon etc. are kind of a thing around these parts of the woods. devouring.gif

Dammit, now I'm hungry! Or maybe that's just because it's dinner time. Ah well,

off to the kitchen then. cooked-cook.gif

EDIT:

We even have a member called "Schnitzel", let's see if we can summon him: @Schnitzel!

@Slick can I have some pizza? :o 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua