HELIOS - ASSEMBLED 2015-SEP-06 - (Caselabs SMH10 | Black/Copper | EVGA SR-2 )

:wub:

Five dogs? Holy crap, that sounds like a lot of (adorable) work. :o:D

Hah, its the same as 1.. just times 5. I wouldn't mind, we are maybe getting another soon.

It's a lot more work than you would think, especially since they don't all go along with eachother. My girl has seen the light and only wants one or two dogs when she moves out of her father's home.

It's a lot more work than you would think, especially since they don't all go along with eachother. My girl has seen the light and only wants one or two dogs when she moves out of her father's home.

Yeah none in our family, including my dad's GF, would currently have the time to

properly take care of a young dog, let alone several. If you really want to correctly

train a dog, a rather significant effort will be required from what I've seen. And

that's not taking into account the time you should spend with the dog to actually

give it a good home, since it is after all very much a social animal (at least the

ones I've met) and will usually greatly appreciate having company and interacting

with you.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

(before anyone complains: my buddy is snoozing right besides me at the moment.) 

I have my buddy snoozing on me, its a cat not much of a dog person.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

I have my buddy snoozing on me, its a cat not much of a dog person.

Oh no worries, you can join the wub-animated.gif-fun too! :D

I grew up with cats and am still rather fond of them, but my current companion

isn't much of a fan and appreciates a cat-free home (he grew up with cats and

used to be bossed around by them when he was little).

EDIT:

Just noticed: This thread really has turned more into a general conversation

with some building pr0n sprinkled in between (not that I disapprove, it's

merely an observation). Good thing there's a table of contents, otherwise

this would probably be a rather frustrating experience for anyone actually

interested in the build. :lol:

Anyway, where were we? Ah right, our four-legged companions. :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Oh no worries, you can join the-fun too! :D

I grew up with cats and am still rather fond of them, but my current companion

isn't much of a fan and appreciates a cat-free home (he grew up with cats and

used to be bossed around by them when he was little).

EDIT:

Anyway, where were we? Ah right, our four-legged companions. :D

Mines is right next to me and being a sweet heart.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Unsolicited Dog picture attack!!

s1n7.jpg

Common Cat just a little closer. Here kitty, Kitty ,kitty

Unslicited Cat picture attack!

nJY5N50.jpg

Look in too my eyes.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Ha ha ha very good! Were takin over this place! You humans couldn't handle it now we will enact our Evil plan! Mahhaaaaaa Cough, cough, cough Fur Ball

:wub:

Haha, yes I know it's alot more work then 1. It was kinda a joke. But still awesome to have! <3

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

Unsolicited Dog picture attack!!

<doggie>

Common Cat just a little closer. Here kitty, Kitty ,kitty

Haha, (s)he actually does look ready to pounce. :lol:

Unslicited Cat picture attack!

<kitty>

Look in too my eyes.

Whereas this guy seems attentive, but not too worried. :D 

Cough, cough, cough Fur Ball

You need some help with that?

EDIT:

That's what I love most about the LTT forums. The random chit chat :)

I'd like to think that LTT is the most social PC hardware forum out there :) It makes every topic much more interesting when people begin conversing with one another :D

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

I'd like to think that LTT is the most social PC hardware forum out there :) It makes every topic much more interesting when people begin conversing with one another :D

We do have a nice thing going here. :)

And agreed, some random chit chat in a build log really adds to it IMO.

Although I must admit there are similar threads on OCN (the longest build logs

with a few thousand replies are mostly banter). I'd say it depends on the group

dynamics. If you happen to come across people you get along with well then good

conversations will usually come about, it's primarily a matter of getting lucky

and actually meeting those folks (so, right place right time).

I have also found it best to stay away from most threads in the off-topic section

and W/C. Threads in off-topic tend either to be too childish for my tastes (which

is fine if you like that sort of thing, so I won't begrudge anyone taking part, but

it's just not for me), random ranting or otherwise threads with a high risk for

flaming. I make exceptions if I see something that piques my interest, but for

the most part I stay away.

As for W/C... it's awesome how much it has gained in popularity in the past few

years. That means more awesome parts, more awesome builds etc. But there are just

way too many people spouting out half-truths, conjecturing without any basis in fact

or just simply making incorrect statements (this is not specific to LTT, and many

people are doing an awesome job giving excellent advice, but I've grown tired of

always trying to correct people or make them aware of their logical fallacies,

it gets old...). This is also not a new problem, it has always been part of the

W/C community ever since I first got into it ~2001, but with more and more people

doing W/C it has become much more common.

I'm certain this problem is not unique to W/C, but it's where I've noticed it most,

because that is actually a topic I know, and know well (at least as far as I can

make out, maybe I'm just an idiot wildly overestimating himself, I wouldn't be the

first :lol: ).

Anyway, this is starting to sound like a rant, but it's not. I've just largely stopped

giving advice on W/C unless either I get asked a specific question directly or it's

something that I can easily answer without there being much potential for flaming.

Luckily the W/C world does not depend on me and there are many competent people giving

good advice who have way more energy and are still willing to argue with ignoramuses,

so there's no need for me to do that anymore. :D

And before anyone thinks I don't actually like it here: I do! :)

</ramble>

</ramble>

This is true, however the half-truths are not only in the W/C section. They are spread around by 4 people:

1. Inexperienced people in a specific field
  2. Biased/Fanboys of a brand or ideology
  3. Those who rely on rumors and non confirmed things
  4. Trolls

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

This is true, however the half-truths are not only in the W/C section. They are spread around by 4 people:

• Inexperienced people in a specific field
  • Biased/Fanboys of a brand or ideology
  • Those who rely on rumors and non confirmed things
  • Trolls

Absolutely agree, it's just that in W/C I actually personally notice it.

I don't really have that problem with GPUs, for example, since I'm not really

up to date on the latest on-goings in that market. I know the Titan will be

useful for doing CUDA computing, and a few other tidbits here and there but

I have very little knowledge when it comes to benchmark results in general

(yeah, I know some stuff, but not nearly enough to give GPU advice in general,

especially when it comes to mid-range GPUs). Of course I looked at bench results

before I bought the Titan, but now that that is done I don't care enough

about the market to keep up with it. I'll catch up when I need to make my

next decision.

Difference being of course, I'm aware that I don't know enough to give advice

except for a few very specific questions. But yes, this problem is present in

every field, on forums and IRL, of course, and is very unlikely to vanish

any time soon (or ever, for that matter).

Anyway, it's not like I'm tearing my hair out over this or completely refuse

to give advice, it's just that I tend to let others do it unless I feel a real

itch to give my 0.02$. ;)

See what happens when you go to sleep! we go to work on your build log. ha ha your right about the chit chat logs, which is cool. some log's just seem to become a gathering place that people stop by to see what's happening. That would never happen if it wasn't good though. You like to talk and that is a great asset! Some people say here is a picture of my GPU here is a picture of my case , bla bla bla. We want some personality in there or how can we ever get to know each other. There is no person in the world that has a motherboard so cool that I want to be friends with them/ except that guy with 8 Titans in SLI. Hahaaaa

See what happens when you go to sleep! we go to work on your build log.

Oh that's cool. I can go to sleep, get up and check this log thinking

"I wonder what the guys have been up to..." doggies-copulation.gifhihi.gif

ha ha your right about the chit chat logs, which is cool. some log's just seem to become a gathering place that people stop by to see what's happening. That would never happen if it wasn't good though. You like to talk and that is a great asset! Some people say here is a picture of my GPU here is a picture of my case , bla bla bla. We want some personality in there or how can we ever get to know each other.

Hehe, thanks! And yeah, agreed.

There is no person in the world that has a motherboard so cool that I want to be friends with them/ except that guy with 8 Titans in SLI. Hahaaaa

8 Titans? Dat power bill! shocked.gif

But that would indeed be a pretty damn cool M/B.

Loop Planning

So, I thought I'd allow you folks to have a peak inside my head. I've been doing some

loop planning in the past few days (~20 hours since Friday, to be more exact), and

it's a bit of a head-scratcher, but I'm getting there. The most recent layout I'm at

currently is probably not too far from what I'll eventually go with.

I won't start trying to explain what's actually going on here and why I'm making

the choices I'm making, that would take way too long and will be much easier

explained with some actual work (which will have to wait until my neighbour gets

back from vacation and I get the fittings). If anyone has any specific questions I'll

gladly answer them of course, and I'll happily accept feedback, but this is more

for documenting the build process than anything else.

One thing you might notice is that I'm not much of a CAD guy. Sure, CAD is awesome,

but I have found pen and paper to be much more conducive to my thinking

process. I have several dozen A4 pages of drawings for a scratch build that was, well,

scratched, because the SMH10 came onto the market and made my concept

superfluous. So you are rather unlikely to ever see me go through the planning

stages of a project like @MetallicAcid with tons of CAD iterations (nothing

against that, of course, it's just not how my head works).

One thing I must note is that the tube I'm using is can't be bent, hence all those

angles. However, it does have an upside, which I will present once I actually get

to the building stage of this loop.

These are the iterations I've gone through so far, or at least the major ones.

The most recent one is bottom right.

(click image for full res)

aw--helios--2013-10-08--01--loop-plannin

And a close-up of that most recent stage:

(click image for full res)

aw--helios--2013-10-08--02--loop-plannin

So long

-aw

Interesting concept! But can you detail the RADs? I can't seem to find it...

Interesting concept! But can you detail the RADs? I can't seem to find it...

The rads are: XT45 up top (in the case, but at the pic's bottom), and the two SR-1's

(SR-1 0 and SR-1 1) in the bottom (of the case, but in the middle of the pic).

The rads are: XT45 up top (in the case, but at the pic's bottom), and the two SR-1's

(SR-1 0 and SR-1 1) in the bottom (of the case, but in the middle of the pic).

No RADS between CPU/CPU nor CPU(x2)/GPU?

I want those colors! And I want those drawing skills... :x and I want a lolly. 

halp..

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

I want those colors! And I want those drawing skills... :x and I want a lolly. 

halp..

Lol He has my father's handwriting! Alpen.. Are you...My?

I'm trying to visualise your loop, but am having a hard time mapping the blocks to the motherboard. Would it be possible to add a legend?

There is one on top.