HELIOS - ASSEMBLED 2015-SEP-06 - (Caselabs SMH10 | Black/Copper | EVGA SR-2 )

Yup, pretty much. I do it almost automatically now. I consider it much more

annoying when I have to switch to the mouse for something (which I try to avoid

as much as possible with Vi browser extensions and i3, a tiling window manager

which I've set up to Vi-style keybindings as well, so that I can use my GUI

practically without any mouse interference). As long as I can stay on the

keyboard I'm pretty happy.

That sounds pretty awesome. Like I said: I'm not much of a typist, so I probably won't be faster either way, but I'm all for less mouse usage! I actually should start practising my Vi(m) commands. Right now, I'm not really using it correctly, I think...

What browser are you on?

Edited by MG2R

That sounds pretty awesome. Like I said: I'm not much of a typist, so I probably won't be faster either way, but I'm all for less mouse usage! I actually should start practising my Vi(m) commands. Right now, I'm not really using it correctly, I think...

What browser are you on?

Yeah it really is very practical once you've gotten good at Vi(m). To be honest I'm

not that great at Vim but I did a website project in PHP last winter/spring while I

was ill (work at home, very convenient). I thought that would be a good opportunity

to learn some Vim and did the entire project in that. Simply using it on a daily basis

is extremely useful for improving one's skills, especially if you make a conscious

effort to take small steps towards learning additional skills/features.

I'd say I'm somewhere at the intermediate level at the moment. I don't use advanced

features nearly enough, but I'm comfortable enough with the basics that I can be more

efficient in Vim than in a normal text editor, and when I'm working on a larger project

I can quickly enough learn more skills as needed.

Are you familiar with Vimcasts? It's an excellent resource IMO. If you're not, see here.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, a decent .vimrc is crucial. Most important thing I learned

about in the last year when it comes to Vim is the leader key, very convenient stuff.

As for i3, it really is very awesome IMO. Being able to use your entire GUI practically

without the mouse is hella nice.

Currently I'm mostly using Chromium, but I've recently taken another look at Firefox,

and it has made quite some progress (at least on Linux) since I last had used it, so

currently I'm debating whether or not to switch back. In Chromium I'm using Vichrome

as a Vi extension, and in Firefox I've chosen Vimperator.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Gunter glieben glauchen globen  All right

You OK mate? :lol:

EDIT:

Nevermind, I got it. Google to the rescue. :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Sometimes there are just no words to describe how you feel! So you break out the german gibberish that even the germans don't understand. This is fun having a conversation over 2 build log's to confuse the innocent.he he he

I love German gibberish, it's especially hilarious to me as a native German

speaker (well, Swiss German, but close enough ;)).

One of my favourites is The Funniest Joke in the World by Monty Python:

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer?

Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

Gets me every time. :lol:

You know, if we really wanted to we could confuse the hell out of people by

always changing build logs when responding to previous posts (I have a devious

mind :D ). Those who follow both builds would get a combo bonus.

Are you familiar with Vimcasts? It's an excellent resource IMO. If you're not, see here.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, a decent .vimrc is crucial. Most important thing I learned

about in the last year when it comes to Vim is the leader key, very convenient stuff.

As for i3, it really is very awesome IMO. Being able to use your entire GUI practically

without the mouse is hella nice.

Didn't know Vimcasts. I do have access to a book about Vim (don't remember the name).

The thing is that, at the moment, I don't really have the time to spend on customizing, unfortunately. I don't have the time to sit down and learn vim, so I just keep using it like I'm using it now. It might not be the best way, but I get the job done in a reasonable time.

I've been wanting to install Linux on my laptop, but because of hybrid graphics, I can't run it out of the box. Right now, I need things that "just work". Nevertheless, I'm planning on diving into Archlinux and setting up a complete Linux installation from scratch on my laptop. If I ever find the time to actually do that, is another question.

FANtastic :D

I see what you did there. :D

Didn't know Vimcasts. I do have access to a book about Vim (don't remember the name).

The thing is that, at the moment, I don't really have the time to spend on customizing, unfortunately. I don't have the time to sit down and learn vim, so I just keep using it like I'm using it now. It might not be the best way, but I get the job done in a reasonable time.

I've been wanting to install Linux on my laptop, but because of hybrid graphics, I can't run it out of the box. Right now, I need things that "just work". Nevertheless, I'm planning on diving into Archlinux and setting up a complete Linux installation from scratch on my laptop. If I ever find the time to actually do that, is another question.

Definitely a valid point. Creating a good .vimrc which actually suits your

needs is a very personal thing and requires quite a bit of time to properly

set up, at least that's the way it's been for me.

I've had several "it should just work" phases in the past few years, but by

now I'm actually comfortable enough with Arch (with the help of some nice

installation video tutorials on Youtube) to almost make it "just work" when

doing a fresh install.

It's not actually that complicated to set up, although it will take more time

than just throwing Ubuntu on a machine (with which I see nothing wrong btw.),

especially if you're doing it for the first time.

I thought this warranted a separate update: @B NEGATIVE has posted his SR-2

build log here. For all those who are interested to know what on earth possessed

me to buy such a monstrosity of a M/B, they should check that out, because

besides PrometheusCU that build has been the main inspiration for this build. :)

Most of the drool which I expelled before making the decision to buy an SR-2

was dedicated to B Neg's rig.

Link

Seriously, go check it out!

I thought this warranted a separate update: @B NEGATIVE has posted his SR-2

build log here. For all those who are interested to know what on earth possessed

me to buy such a monstrosity of a M/B, they should check that out, because

besides PrometheusCU that build has been the main inspiration for this build. :)

Most of the drool which I expelled before making the decision to buy an SR-2

was dedicated to B Neg's rig.

Link

Seriously, go check it out!

Thanks Alpenwassser!!

Your build is pretty awesome,many lovely details,im humbled by your like of my SR2.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

Thanks Alpenwassser!!

Your build is pretty awesome,many lovely details,im humbled by your like of my SR2.

Happy to be of service.

I suppose we can consider ourselves mutually humbled, then. :D

I'm currently doing some slight modifications on the GPU block (painting);

hoping to have that done by Monday evening at the latest (another one of

those small details).

I've had several "it should just work" phases in the past few years, but by

now I'm actually comfortable enough with Arch (with the help of some nice

installation video tutorials on Youtube) to almost make it "just work" when

doing a fresh install.

It's not actually that complicated to set up, although it will take more time

than just throwing Ubuntu on a machine (with which I see nothing wrong btw.),

especially if you're doing it for the first time.

Yeah, it does take time. And unfortunately, I don't have any to invest in setting up an OS at the moment. I'll just stick to Windows on my work machines and Linux on my servers for now. Since Windows 7, I actually don't mind Windows so much anymore :)

Also, I'm kind of done with Ubuntu, they really are going in the wrong direction.

I don't actually think Win 7 is all that bad either, but whenever I need

to work at my dad's machine I start to miss all that nice Linux stuff

(mostly my terminal and my window manager).

As for Ubuntu: I switched to Arch when they introduced Unity, and although

it's definitely no longer for me, I am actually very curious to see where

they are headed. They might no longer be doing something that caters to me,

but they're definitely doing something. :D

As for Ubuntu: I switched to Arch when they introduced Unity, and although

it's definitely no longer for me, I am actually very curious to see where

they are headed. They might no longer be doing something that caters to me,

but they're definitely doing something. :D

Yeah, they are building the Linux variant of Windows, something the just works and has a pretty UI, and making the OS "bloated" on the way. I stopped using it completely when they built Amazon advertisement into the launcher. That was a BIG issue for me.

Yeah, they are building the Linux variant of Windows, something the just works and has a pretty UI, and making the OS "bloated" on the way. I stopped using it completely when they built Amazon advertisement into the launcher. That was a BIG issue for me.

Yeah, the Amazon thing has irked me as well. On one hand, I do accept

their desire and right to make money from something into which they

pour such an amount of resources. On the other hand, it's not really

in the spirit of free software (at least not so far). But maybe things

like that will become a lot more common in the future, who knows. I

would still prefer an open source O/S with sponsors to a closed source

product.

I very much hope that some good will come out of the Windows-y approach

Canonical are currently taking. They may be drifting away from what I

want in an O/S, but I'm hoping that they'll manage to push Linux a bit

more towards the main stream, which should help the rest of that scene

as well.

Just imagine if compatibility between MS Office and its open source

counterparts finally got to a point where you could actually deploy

Linux in an office environment without having to worry about a Powerpoint

presentation somebody has given to you properly working on your Linux

machine. That would really be something! Or if formatting between MS

Word and its alternatives was finally consistent (alternatively, those

wusses should just use LaTeX :D ).

Ah, one can only dream...

<snip snip>

Ah, one can only dream...

Well, yeah, I get that Canonical is company and thus has to make money. But you have to consider the fact that in Ubuntu, there are thousands of lines of code written by lots and lots of contributers, who don't get a penny. So in a way, Canonical is getting money for work they get done for free. (yes, I know that's a bit of a stretch, but still)

I also hope that Ubuntu is something that every mom (you know what I mean) likes. I know it has that potential, as my grandmother is running Ubuntu 10.04 on her el cheapo laptop. She always complained about the Windows XP installation that was on it. How it got so slow over time and yada yada yada. I just installed 10.04 LTS (best Ubuntu version ever) on there, switched the standard two panel GUI to a single bottom panel with three shortcuts on her desktop: Internet, Mail and Text Editor. She never complained since (now at least two years).

That scenario would be very nice indeed and honestly, we aren't very far off at this point in time. +1 on the LaTeX comment. Ever since I had to use it for college, I don't know why anyone would prefer Word. Yes, it's a bit of a learning curve, but well worth the little effort

Well, yeah, I get that Canonical is company and thus has to make money. But you have to consider the fact that in Ubuntu, there are thousands of lines of code written by lots and lots of contributers, who don't get a penny. So in a way, Canonical is getting money for work they get done for free. (yes, I know that's a bit of a stretch, but still)

I once read that the development which has gone into Debian is about the

equivalent of 8 billion USD if it needed to be paid. I'm not sure by how

much that amount has increased by now, but I definitely get what you mean.

TBH I think Canonical aren't all that sure about this themselves, at least

part of this was simply an attempt to gauge reaction and see if they could

get away with it. I'm not a fan of it (mostly because I don't think free

software should rely on being sponsored, because that could lead to financial

dependencies which might steer R&D into undesireable directions in the long

run), but I'm curios to see where this experiment is going, and if they

will cross any lines which shouldn't be crossed (whatever those may be).

I also hope that Ubuntu is something that every mom (you know what I mean) likes. I know it has that potential, as my grandmother is running Ubuntu 10.04 on her el cheapo laptop. She always complained about the Windows XP installation that was on it. How it got so slow over time and yada yada yada. I just installed 10.04 LTS (best Ubuntu version ever) on there, switched the standard two panel GUI to a single bottom panel with three shortcuts on her desktop: Internet, Mail and Text Editor. She never complained since (now at least two years).

thumb.gif

That scenario would be very nice indeed and honestly, we aren't very far off at this point in time.

We have definitely come a long way into the right direction. My dad is self-employed,

and he often needs to do workshops and presentations, for which he says he still can't

rely on anything but Powerpoint.

He has stated several times that he would love to switch to Linux and open source

office software, but even though he's pretty damn adept when it comes to computers

(he's the one who got me into PCs in the first place) he just doesn't have the

time to make it all work acceptably on a Linux machine, if it can be gotten to work

at all (often it can't, especially with animations and such, which can be quite

important in these sort of situations).

I should note that he often needs to interface with other company IT infrastructures

when visiting clients. If you just have your own IT setup I suspect you do have

some more liberties when it comes to this and you can tune it all to your own

needs, but he needs to be able to go to a client and have things work promptly

and nicely, which can still be a bit of a gamble when using free office software.

But things are getting better.

+1 on the LaTeX comment. Ever since I had to use it for college, I don't know why anyone would prefer Word. Yes, it's a bit of a learning curve, but well worth the little effort

You know, if I ever found a company, I think I will make that our motto.

EDIT:

Wasn't there a build log somewhere in this thread? candle.gif

Wasn't there a build log somewhere in this thread? candle.gif

I was actually wondering the same thing as I was writing the previous comment. We must be pissing of all the subscribers of this thread, I guess :P

I'm actually quite surprised that noone else has commented on this.

You know, if I ever found a company, I think I will make that our motto.

If you do use that phrase, I want a pizza delivered to me as means of copyright payment :P

On a more serious note: if you ever found a company, do let me know :D

TBH I think Canonical aren't all that sure about this themselves, at least

part of this was simply an attempt to gauge reaction and see if they could

get away with it. I'm not a fan of it (mostly because I don't think free

software should rely on being sponsored, because that could lead to financial

dependencies which might steer R&D into undesireable directions in the long

run), but I'm curios to see where this experiment is going, and if they

will cross any lines which shouldn't be crossed (whatever those may be).

If history is any reference on this matter, then I would say it WILL go wrong eventually. I'm keeping my fingers crossed nontheless.

I was actually wondering the same thing as I was writing the previous comment. We must be pissing of all the subscribers of this thread, I guess :P

I'm actually quite surprised that noone else has commented on this.

Maybe most have just given up and only pop in once every few weeks. :lol:

But hey, I'm passionate about this subject, and this is my build log, so

deal with it (seriously though: thanks for putting up with me, I'm sorry

guys! :wub: ).

If you do use that phrase, I want a pizza delivered to me as means of copyright payment :P

That can be arranged.

On a more serious note: if you ever found a company, do let me know :D

That, too.

If history is any reference on this matter, then I would say it WILL go wrong eventually. I'm keeping my fingers crossed nontheless.

I'd say I'm not pessimistic, but skeptical.

My one big argument for having a bit of faith in humanity is the cold war and the

fact that it stayed cold. If you'd asked my in 1950 whether or not I believed that

human civilization was still going to be around by the turn of the 21st century I'm

pretty sure I'd have answered with a stern "No."

But lo and behold: The nuclear holocaust has so far eluded us (knocking on wood here :D ).

Maybe most have just given up and only pop in once every few weeks. :lol:

But hey, I'm passionate about this subject, and this is my build log, so

deal with it (seriously though: thanks for putting up with me, I'm sorry

guys! :wub: ).

It's nice to have an actual conversation on the internet. You don't find that too often anymore on the intarnetz (*looks angry at YouTube*). The fun thing about this conversation is that it passes the time while I wait for a new update :P

Seriously: finish the thing already ;)

That can be arranged.

Oh man, if you actually get me pizza, I'll be the happiest dude around here! I freaking love pizza (or any other fa(s)t food for that matter, except hamburgers)

My one big argument for having a bit of faith in humanity is the cold war and the

fact that it stayed cold. If you'd asked my in 1950 whether or not I believed that

human civilization was still going to be around by the turn of the 21st century I'm

pretty sure I'd have answered with a stern "No."

But lo and behold: The nuclear holocaust has so far eluded us (knocking on wood here :D ).

Well, yeah, I don't have a lot of faith in humanity, to be honest. I consider "humanity" to be an empty word that only holds meaning when the one saying it isn't threatened or in a tough situation. In the end we all would do unspeakable things to save our own ass from some agonising and miseable death or torture.

But yeah, I still hope Canonical stays on the righteous path and doesn't screw their delicate situation up completely by making some very dumb decisions. In the meanwhile, I'm very happy with Debian :)

PS: you'd better be knocking on some copper, you ;)

What you need is a Cornish pasty !

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

It's nice to have an actual conversation on the internet. You don't find that too often anymore on the intarnetz (*looks angry at YouTube*). The fun thing about this conversation is that it passes the time while I wait for a new update :P

True dat! Luckily I'm not on Facebook, which keeps me away from some of the

stupid on the internet, but YT can be pretty damn horrifying as well. The

comment section on 9gag is also pretty disheartening (hey, don't knock me,

it used to be a decent place to keep up to date with current funny pics). From

time to time I stop by out of some sort of morbid curiosity, and holy crap

there are some ridiculously stupid people on this planet! :o

Yeah, I know, not everyone is stupid, and oftentimes, the ones who are

also happen to be the loudest, but still... stuff of nightmares and all that.

I also tend to stay away from "Off topic" sections on tech forums and such.

Even smart people can behave quite childishly in those places, and while I

completely respect their right to do that (we all have our interests, don't

have a problem with that), my time is precious and I have other things I'm

interested in doing. Not that I don't make an exception if something pops

my interest, but that's the general guideline.

Seriously: finish the thing already ;)

Waiting for the paint to dry...

Oh man, if you actually get me pizza, I'll be the happiest dude around here! I freaking love pizza (or any other fa(s)t food for that matter, except hamburgers)

Not too fond of Hamburgers either (or rather: all that funny stuff they put

in there that isn't meat :lol: ), but I share your ethusisam for pizza. wohoo.gif 

What you need is a Cornish pasty !

Hm, I looked it up, and if you leave out the veggie part I might like it. :D

(yeah, I have an issue with vegetables, sorry)

Well, yeah, I don't have a lot of faith in humanity, to be honest. I consider "humanity" to be an empty word that only holds meaning when the one saying it isn't threatened or in a tough situation. In the end we all would do unspeakable things to save our own ass from some agonising and miseable death or torture.

But yeah, I still hope Canonical stays on the righteous path and doesn't screw their delicate situation up completely by making some very dumb decisions. In the meanwhile, I'm very happy with Debian :)

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't have much faith in humanity, just some.

I'd say when the biggest accomplishment you can find is the fact that we're

still alive and haven't blown each other off the face of this planet yet I think

your standards are pretty low.

PS: you'd better be knocking on some copper, you ;)

Does that count, too? Ah well then...

Not too fond of Hamburgers either (or rather: all that funny stuff they put

in there that isn't meat :lol: ), but I share your ethusisam for pizza. wohoo.gif

Hm, I looked it up, and if you leave out the veggie part I might like it. :D

(yeah, I have an issue with vegetables, sorry)

Yeah, that's basically my point of view: give me the meat, not all the other stuff around it. Altough, with dürüm I don't mind.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't have much faith in humanity, just some.

I'd say when the biggest accomplishment you can find is the fact that we're

still alive and haven't blown each other off the face of this planet yet I think

your standards are pretty low.

What do you mean? I'm probably taking this the wrong way...

I also tend to stay away from "Off topic" sections on tech forums and such.

Even smart people can behave quite childishly in those places, and while I

completely respect their right to do that (we all have our interests, don't

have a problem with that), my time is precious and I have other things I'm

interested in doing. Not that I don't make an exception if something pops

my interest, but that's the general guideline.

That about sums up the topic :P

What do you mean? I'm probably taking this the wrong way...

Imagine this conversation when applying for a job:

"What would you say your biggest strength is?"

"Well, I haven't murdered anybody yet."

I'd say that's not a particularly high standard to have. And I'm just

applying that on a larger scale to humanity as a whole. Not having wiped

each other out is not a very big accomplishment IMHO, but it's at least

something, and when I'm really disheartened with mankind I cling to that.

(On another note: I would really like to be in such a comfortable position

to be able to waste a job opportunity and actually give that answer just

to see their faces once, but alas :lol: ).

That about sums up the topic :P

Haha, touché, my friend, touché. :lol: