HELIOS - ASSEMBLED 2015-SEP-06 - (Caselabs SMH10 | Black/Copper | EVGA SR-2 )

How do you feel? Are you allright? Great to hear you are going to make stuff again! 

He's ok when it comes to health. But school is coming round the corner for him...

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Hope you're feeling 100% @alpenwasser. :)

I can't wait to see your build finally done...I can try to help you with hw (A student ;) )...but only good in math/CS :D

Anyway good luck!

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

Good to see it back on track :)

Thanks mate! :)

How do you feel? Are you allright? Great to hear you are going to make stuff again!

He's ok when it comes to health. But school is coming round the corner for him...

Hope you're feeling 100% @alpenwasser. :)

I can't wait to see your build finally done...I can try to help you with hw (A student ;) )...but only good in math/CS :D

Anyway good luck!

I still have some trouble sitting for extended periods of time (the coccyx is a really

inconvenient place to have a malfunction :( ), but other than that things are looking

good. And as Bluejay said, next week is the start of college. Luckily I can transfer

some of the credits from my previous degree to the new one, so at least in the beginning

I will have a somewhat reduced workload compared to those starting from scratch. Not

that that's an excuse to take things easy, but it does make things a bit less taxing.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Thanks mate! :)

I still have some trouble sitting for extended periods of time (the coccyx is a really

inconvenient place to have a malfunction :( ), but other than that things are looking

good. And as Bluejay said, next week is the start of college. Luckily I can transfer

some of the credits from my previous degree to the new one, so at least in the beginning

I will have a somewhat reduced workload compared to those starting from scratch. Not

that that's an excuse to take things easy, but it does make things a bit less taxing.

What are you majoring, if you don't mind me asking :P

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

What are you majoring, if you don't mind me asking :P

Mechanical Engineering before, now Electrical Engineering & Information Technology.

Before selecting my first major a few years back the decision was between those two,

and I initially went for ME because I'm quite interested in mechanics and manufacturing.

But during my studies I eventually came to find that the ET/IT side of things (of which

there is quite a bit in ME as well) started to interest me quite a bit more than I'd

originally expected so I think this will be a good fit. :)

And depending on how you select your courses there can actually be quite a lot of

common ground between the two (or you can take them in wildly different directions

of course).

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Mechanical Engineering before, now Electrical Engineering & Information Technology.

Before selecting my first major a few years back the decision was between those two,

and I initially went for ME because I'm quite interested in mechanics and manufacturing.

But during my studies I eventually came to find that the ET/IT side of things (of which

there is quite a bit in ME as well) started to interest me quite a bit more than I'd

originally expected so I think this will be a good fit. :)

And depending on how you select your courses there can actually be quite a lot of

common ground between the two (or you can take them in wildly different directions

of course).

I plan to studying Computer Science but I really want to work with the hardware side of things so I still have time before I realize what is correct for me :D

I plan to studying Computer Science but I really want to work with the hardware side of things so I still have time before I realize what is correct for me :D

Same here. Software can be very interesting, but the hardware itself is much too

fascinating to me to just leave it out. And besides, for programming things which

go really close to the hardware it's advantageous or even necessary to know

how things actually work deep down in their innards, depending on what you're

programming (at least that's what I've been told ;) ).

And as said, I'm still very interested in all things mechanical, so if I went with

something like robotics as my masters degree I could do it all: mechanics, hardware

and software (haven't decided on that yet though, there's lots of other interesting

stuff to consider). :D

Can't wait to see the end result please please please finish it :)

Going to check out your other build now, good job man

Can't wait to see the end result please please please finish it :)

Going to check out your other build now, good job man

Thanks man! I am eagerly awaiting progress myself, but as said it will be slow

for the foreseeable future.

And thanks for checking out ZEUS. :)

Electrical Engineering & Information Technology.

Same here. Software can be very interesting, but the hardware itself is much too

fascinating to me to just leave it out. And besides, for programming things which

go really close to the hardware it's advantageous or even necessary to know

how things actually work deep down in their innards, depending on what you're

programming

Don't you mean Electronical Engineering then?

Don't you mean Electronical Engineering then?

I know what you mean, but you can actually do other stuff than electronics if you

select the right courses. For example, power grid engineering, power plant design

etc. It's a very broad degree and you're quite flexible in your course selection

once you've passed the basics (calculus, linear algebra etc.).

But yes, at least for the time being I'm more interested in the electronics part

of things, although it will be a while until I actually have to make that decision,

so who knows in which direction I'll eventually go.

EDIT:

To be certain I just checked, and the official designation is indeed

Electrical Engineering + Information Technology BSc.

come on Alpenwasser...i want to see moar :D

OK:

Prototype: Bitfenix Spectre Pro Copper Edition

This is just a prototype. The fan is very annoying to take apart and before I do this

with all the rest of them I need to make sure the process doesn't damage the bearing

or anything like that. So: testing.

But, in the meantime, I thought I'd present you with this:

(click image for full res)

aw--helios--2013-09-14--03--spectre-pro-

aw--helios--2013-09-14--04--spectre-pro-

aw--helios--2013-09-14--05--spectre-pro-

OK:

Prototype: Bitfenix Spectre Pro Copper Edition

This is just a prototype. The fan is very annoying to take apart and before I do this

with all the rest of them I need to make sure the process doesn't damage the bearing

or anything like that. So: testing.

But, in the meantime, I thought I'd present you with this:

<sexy image>

<another sexy image>

<schnitzels>

OMFG. DUDE. THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is really nice...but i wouldn't paint the fan itself. I mean they look good enough in black :D

While you are at it why you don't sleeve the cables :D

OMFG. DUDE. THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! Now I'm just hoping the fan still runs OK. Ah well, time will tell. :D

this is really nice...but i wouldn't paint the fan itself. I mean they look good enough in black :D

You mean the impeller? Yeah, I'll stay away from that. For one thing I don't want

to introduce imbalances into the fan. Secondly I want copper to be an accent color,

not the primary (which is why I'm not painting the outer frame either).

It's really quite practical how the frame is made from two parts. :D

While you are at it why you don't sleeve the cables :D

Been thinking about that. I'm not yet sure how I will cable up the fan assemblies,

and it will mostly depend on that.

Thing is, absolutely none of the fan cables will be visible in the end, so I'm not

sure if it's worth the hassle (they are already black, after all).

We'll see...

EDIT:

@looney: Bonus points if you find the schnitzels on this page! :lol:

This looks sweet :)

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

This looks sweet :)

Thanks! :)

Those fans are sexy!

Have a schnitzel as a reward:

schnitzel.jpg

Hm, I wonder who this could be... :lol: *munch*

sigh..*unzip

*gives tissue*

Just curious, what camera do you use to take those sexy photos? ;)

I can cook minute rice in 55 seconds

Just curious, what camera do you use to take those sexy photos? ;)

A Canon 600D with an 28-135 mm f3.5-f5.6 USM lens. It's not the most fancy DSLR

in the world, but it's pretty damn good (especially for the price).

I also have bought some studio lights with a few umbrellas and am using

a tripod for the pictures. This allows for long exposure times, which

allows for low ISO, which gives better color rendition/less noise (although

TBH the macro shot of the fan is hand-held on high ISO).

Also, I use RawTherapee to do some colour correction, exposure compensation

etc. It gives me a bit of wiggle room if the pictures aren't perfect. If retouching

needs to be done I use GIMP when I have the time and patience (mostly retouching

dust particles out of the picture or removing the background).

Now that you mention it, I could actually make a few pics of my lighting

setup at some point. I would love to buy more photo equipment since that's

definitely something I'm interested in as well, but HELIOS has depleted my

funds rather significantly, so that will have to wait. :D

EDIT 2013-09-14, 23:54 UTC: Aaaand we've passed 40 000 views. Did not think

I would ever get this far. Thanks everyone! :wub: