HELIOS - ASSEMBLED 2015-SEP-06 - (Caselabs SMH10 | Black/Copper | EVGA SR-2 )

Mother of liquid cooling...what color coolant?

Clear. Not much point to coloured coolant with copper pipes, and if I use coloured

coolant the copperized reservoir can't really be shown off either. Plus clear coolant

makes much less of a mess when I spill something while tinkering with my loop. ;)

At least that's the plan at the moment.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

You've got it all backwards! Everyone is using two GPU blocks and One CPU block. Just because your GPU is faster than most all dual GPU's don't think that get's you off the hook. I'm watching you! he he he

I know this is a bit of a personal question, but what do you do for a living? I'm asking this because i know that you could earn a bunch if you started selling water-cooled computers with the insane skills of yours ! :D

I'm working on my first water-cooled build atm. but i don't have anywhere close to your talents or patience for sleeving the PSU cables. (neither the money xD)

This build is sick, it deserves to be on the MDPC site, every single WAN-Show because it deserves it! ;D

If you ever do it i'd pay you to sleeve my PSU cables! It's INSANE how good this build is, really talented Swiss!

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

Clear. Not much point to coloured coolant with copper pipes, and if I use coloured

coolant the copperized reservoir can't really be shown off either. Plus clear coolant

makes much less of a mess when I spill something while tinkering with my loop. ;)

At least that's the plan at the moment.

You should go with liquid copper ;)

You've got it all backwards! Everyone is using two GPU blocks and One CPU block. Just because your GPU is faster than most all dual GPU's don't think that get's you off the hook. I'm watching you! he he he

Haha, well I'd love to have a second GPU in there, but it just isn't very practical. For one

thing it would be pointless since I probably won't game on this rig, or at least not a lot.

Also my monitor is a 1920x1200, so the one Titan is already overpowered for my setup as it

is.

What I will be doing though is run this 24/7 for BOINC (both CPUs as well as the GPU). The

power bill would simply be too high if I added another GPU in there. Aside from that I need

to cap the budget at some point, and a second GPU is not a financially viable option at the

moment.

I do agree though, a second GPU card would look holy balls awesome! :wub:

I know this is a bit of a personal question, but what do you do for a living? I'm asking this because i know that you could earn a bunch if you started selling water-cooled computers with the insane skills of yours ! :D

I'm working on my first water-cooled build atm. but i don't have anywhere close to your talents or patience for sleeving the PSU cables. (neither the money xD)

This build is sick, it deserves to be on the MDPC site, every single WAN-Show because it deserves it! ;D

If you ever do it i'd pay you to sleeve my PSU cables! It's INSANE how good this build is, really talented Swiss!

I studied mechanical engineering until last summer when I had to drop out due to bad

health (couldn't work enough to keep up anymore). Over the winter I did some web dev

work to earn money for this build, and in September I'll be starting a degree in electrical

engineering.

I'm not yet quite sure if I'll have the time to do any modding from that point on, but

doing this sort of thing as a side project does sound appealing. But college comes first,

of course.

Either way, thank you for the very kind words, they are highly appreciated. :)

You should go with liquid copper ;)

Funny you should mention that, the Soviets actually had a nuclear reactor for submarines

which was cooled with liquid metal (I think it was Sodium). Turned out to be a bit finicky

since once the reactor cooled down all you had was a very expensive and radioactive solid

block of metal. :lol:

Mayhems Aurora in Copper, maybe? :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

You Know I'm Just poking at you :)  I think we all forget just how Incredible the hardware we have available today is!  There are already a lot of rigs with Three Titan out there with almost zero modding and there great for what they are.  But your building something memorable that people will want to see 5 years from now, when Titans are old news.  There is always the next hot thing but Craftsmanship lasts forever!

You Know I'm Just poking at you :)

I know, I know... ;)

I think we all forget just how Incredible the hardware we have available today is!

Totally agree. One of the things which actually attracted me to the Titan originally was the

sheer technical achievement it stands for. Sure it will be old and slow at some point, but

at least for a short moment (meaning right now) it really is the absolute pinnacle of what's

technically possible when it comes to silicon mass produced chips (AFAIK).

I think it's been quite a while since we've had such an impressive jump forward from one

chip generation to the next as we've had with the GK104->GK110 transition. I mean, the

Westmere Xeons I have in this build can still keep up quite nicely with newer chips as

long as the software I'm running is sufficiently multi-threaded, which speaks volumes

about how slow progress has been when it comes to raw performance on the Intel front (yeah

I know there have been other, maybe more important advances than sheer power).

To put that in perspective: Around the time when the X5680 Xeon came out, the most

powerful Nvidia GPU was the GTX480 (it came a bit later, but more or less I tink that's

a fair comparison). I haven't been able to find any direct comparisons between the Titan

and the 480, but see this link for a comparison between the GTX580 and the Titan.

Googling around a bit shows the 580 to be roughly 10~20 % faster than the 480 still, so

just imagine how fast our CPUs would be today if progress had been as fast as on the

GPU front.

EDIT: For comparison, here's the direct jump from the GK104 to the GK110 (680 vs Titan).

So to me the GK110 represents one of those rather rare occasions when there really was

an impressive leap forward between chip generations (not just in performance, but also

in actual chip engineering), and for that I think it will make a nice museum piece down

the line when it's old and slow. At least for my museum. ;)

Anyway, as one can see I have thought about this quite a bit, so at least it can't be said

I didn't know why I was buying such an expensive card. Ramble, ramble, ramble... :lol:

There are already a lot of rigs with Three Titan out there with almost zero modding and there great for what they are.  But your building something memorable that people will want to see 5 years from now, when Titans are old news.  There is always the next hot thing but Craftsmanship lasts forever!

Very true. I said a few weeks ago in @F.A.T. 's build log that in my opinion the most impressive

builds are the ones which fuse great creativity with excellent craftsmanship and not really the

ones with the most powerful uber-hardware, and I still stand behind that.

If you have some great hardware to go along with an excellent build, then great, but not the best

and most awesome piece of kit can save a build from crappy building skills and horrible ideas I'd

say.

Besides, building a PC (non-modded) really is a rather trivial affair (make sure you buy compatible

components, stick them together, turn on and hope it all works), so as long as you're doing it as

a hobby where's the fun in that once you've built your first PC as an introductory hurdle?

Best example I can think of is the build which actually inspired this one, PrometheusCU (I'm sure

you know which one I mean ;) ). Even though it never got finished it's still one of the most impressive

and memorable builds I've ever come across many years after its inception. The hardware might be old,

but the build is still absolutely stunning IMO.

And the nice thing about it is that it doesn't even matter that much whether or not something caters

to our subjective tastes. I'm not usually one who goes for flash or the industrial sort of look (more

of an understatement kinda guy, at least for the most part), but holy hell I can appreciate the

shit out of your build nonetheless and use it as inspiration (because, of course, it is bloody awesome!) :wub:

Anyway, this concludes today's essay session, my apologies for the long ramble, but nobody's foced

to read it... :lol:

I agree with you. Technological advancement has gone far the past 5 years. Graphically, NVIDIA is pushing boundries for new technology while AMD is trying to deliver a similar technology at lower price points that are cheaper than the NVIDIA luxury price point.

Though looking at what CPU advancement, we see a similar change. With the introduction of the new PCIe generations, Hyper Threading technology, and lower lithography sizes. It does show we are changing rapidly from what we used to be.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

I agree with you. Technological advancement has gone far the past 5 years. Graphically, NVIDIA is pushing boundries for new technology while AMD is trying to deliver a similar technology at lower price points that are cheaper than the NVIDIA luxury price point.

Though looking at what CPU advancement, we see a similar change. With the introduction of the new PCIe generations, Hyper Threading technology, and lower lithography sizes. It does show we are changing rapidly from what we used to be.

Indeed. I do realize of course that there have been tremendous advances on the CPU front as

well, but I would guess (yes, pure conjecture ;)) that most of the R&D resources in the CPU

market have been focused on saving power and making tweaks rather than bringing about the

next great leap forward in raw computing power.

Which really makes much more sense anyway since CPUs have been powerful enough for almost any

application normal users throw at it for quite a few years now (I built my dad an office PC

some time around 2007 and it still does its job perfectly well; maybe it could use an SSD or

a RAM upgrade, but he hasn't complained yet ;)).

Of course there are people who could take advantage of big performance increases in CPUs

but I think that's probably a rather small chunk of the entire CPU market. And besides that,

the x86 instruction set is probably a rather big hindrance to progress as well at this point,

who knows where we could be with a truly new and innovative instruction set instead of this

~35 year old dinosaur. But alas...

I do have to admit that I'm extremely curious about AMD's next GPU generation and how it

will compare to the GK110. I seriously hope it's competitive and puts some pressure on

NVIDIA.

For say, I am only fifteen years of age and i've seen many advancements during my experience with technology. Yes, the instruction set of x86 is useful but we want more. I would like for Intel to focus on the consumer needs and build a true generation which sets the course for a new set of technology that give out raw power with many things cut back such as voltage needed, power efficiency, and lithography. Skylake and Broadwell are in the start of revision and making and I really hope they make new advancments for mobile computing and desktop advancement. Hyper Threading is already a very well done technology that was introduced and I would love for it to push foward for the future of mobile computing as the market is growing. What I want to see is that Intel and AMD learn from each other. Fix architectural problems for AMD and put out preformance CPUs at a low cost rate. Both neeed to improve the silicon purity as for many of us were unluck (not for me though ;P).

I do realize we are now on the verge for an EXTREME graphics overhaul when it comes to AMD and NVIDIA. The new introduction of OpenGL 4.4 and DirectX 11.1 will now push boundries when it comes to graphics technology. I have seen the many advancements between generations and i have lived in an era in which ATI and 3DFX live and NVIDIA were growing to meet demand for this market. Now we see NVIDIA has gained the market share due to 3DFX's collapse. What this implicates that SLI saved NVIDIA. What would be the next technology to revolutionize graphics? We will have to see. 6-way SLI? 9 monitor EyeFinity support with all monitoers being of a 4K resolution? We won't know until it hits us like Fermi or the 7000 series GPUs came. For us, time has been good and bad.

Lets hope for a greater tomorrow and lets improve today's technology.

-Bluejay0 

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Ah yes, 3dfx. Poor bastards never had a chance, done in by their own hubris (over-engineering

a card until it was too late instead of punctually bringing something not-so impressive to

market which would have actually earned them money). Ah well, such is life.

I'm not really sure if SLI saved Nvidia, they were pretty much kicking 3dfx' asses simply

because 3dfx had such huge delays bringing their last cards to market. From what I recall,

the impression I had back then of the market was that Nvidia kept pumping out new GPUs one

after another (TNT, TNT2, Geforce 256, Geforce 2), each noticeably improving on its predecessor,

while 3dfx kept promising new awesome things that would blow everything out of the water.

By the time 3dfx finally delivered the goods (and they took their sweet goddamn time), they

were simply not very impressive anymore (some would even say obsolete, although I'm not completely

sure on that one).

As far as I can tell (it's been a long time, so my memory might be a bit hazy), Nvidia simply

out-competed 3dfx into the ground, and 3dfx very nicely helped them along by focusing on their

halo product instead of mid-range stuff which would have earned them money (which, by the way

is why I think it's quite smart of AMD to focus on midrange CPUs for the time being). Pure

old-fashioned capitalism. :D

To me, 3dfx is sort of like the Duke Nukem Franchise of graphics: They used to be awesome,

then they got too ambitious and started to promise things on which they were never able to

deliver and got left in the dust by the competition. I doubt we'll ever get the full story,

but at least that's the impression I have gotten over the years.

Anyway, we definitely live in exciting times, and I'm very curious what the future holds. :)

I do completely agree. 3DFX didn't have a chance as they were delayed. Thats what happening for next gen cards. AMD boasts a sooner launch date than NVIDIA which worries me. I am in love with Nvidia's products, and I have never been let down. AMD does seem to control this generation as fo the next gen consoles are running the AMD side of the road. 

What do you expect from the future Alpen? 

Hope to see a new update on HELIOS!

Gosh alpenwasser, less typing more working :D 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

AMD boasts a sooner launch date than NVIDIA which worries me.

Well, keep in mind that with the Geforce 700 line being launched this spring Nvidia are actually

more or less one generation ahead (I'm counting the AMD 7000 series and the Geforce 600 series as

one generation), so it's all a bit out of sync now anyway.

AMD does seem to control this generation as fo the next gen consoles are running the AMD side of the road.

I'm actually very happy that AMD got the console contracts TBH. The APU concept is a pretty awesome

one, and AMD could really use the money to stay at least slightly competitive with Intel when it comes

to CPUs. Nvidia will be fine I think, even without those contracts. AMD needs them much more from what

I can tell (just guesswork though).

What do you expect from the future Alpen?

Bills and work (well, college). :D

Seriously though, I'm not really enough up to date on the latest tech chatter anymore (too much

work to keep up), so my approach is much more akin to "wait and see" than trying to guess what's

next. It's also much less stressful. ;)

Hope to see a new update on HELIOS!

I got some more testing materials for the copper tubes and will experiment around over the

weekend, so maybe I'll finally have a solution next week.

EDIT:

Gosh alpenwasser, less typing more working :D

Hey, I love typing, it's why I got a mechanical keyboard!

Anyway, next: dinner! :wub:

Well, keep in mind that with the Geforce 700 line being launched this spring Nvidia are actually

more or less one generation ahead (I'm counting the AMD 7000 series and the Geforce 600 series as

one generation), so it's all a bit out of sync now anyway.

I'm actually very happy that AMD got the console contracts TBH. The APU concept is a pretty awesome

one, and AMD could really use the money to stay at least slightly competitive with Intel when it comes

to CPUs. Nvidia will be fine I think, even without those contracts. AMD needs them much more from what

I can tell (just guesswork though).

Bills and work (well, college). :D

Seriously though, I'm not really enough up to date on the latest tech chatter anymore (too much

work to keep up), so my approach is much more akin to "wait and see" than trying to guess what's

next. It's also much less stressful. ;)

I got some more testing materials for the copper tubes and will experiment around over the

weekend, so maybe I'll finally have a solution next week.

EDIT:

Hey, I love typing, it's why I got a mechanical keyboard!

Anyway, next: dinner! :wub:

What you eating? :P

What you eating? :P

Spätzle, raclette cheese, Cervelat (delicious when roasted) and a bit of bacon for added flavour.

Spiced up with paprika, pepper (chili pepper as well as black and white) and a hint of curry.

It ain't healthy, but goddamn it is delicious. :wub:

Hold on, water's cooking... :)

EDIT: The sausage is cut up and roasted and the cheese is melted and then it's all

mashed together. It's a bit like mac and cheese if I understand correctly.

EDIT 2: Älplermagronen (de) is what it's usually called around here, although most

versions of it add potatoes and onions and use different sort of pasta than Spaetzle.

I tought about buying a GTX770 with the reference/titan cooler just for the looks :D

I don't really need the power afterall ...

PS.: E-Tech auf der ETH? Alles Gute für den zweiten Start ;)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I tought about buying a GTX770 with the reference/titan cooler just for the looks :D

I don't really need the power afterall ...

I'm actually seriously considering something like that. Since I'll be doing computing it

won't matter if I can't SLI the cards (although the 780 would probably be a better investment

regarding computing power per Watt). But first it's back to college, then I'll see how my

finances are looking...

PS.: E-Tech auf der ETH? Alles Gute für den zweiten Start ;)

Jo merci, wird sicher amüsant. :D Selbst auch in den Gefilden tätig?

Hey you can ramble on anytime.  You had me jealous with all this Copper work so I'm working on a small piece, Just to get my File back out he he . I need to get back it full form, before I take on this big window emblem. I'm kind of dreading that one! my hands hurt just thinking about it. I do really love to work with Copper. Your build  Is perfect for what you want to use it for. My friend Sam that did the Renders would have a hay day with a rig like your building.  

Hey you can ramble on anytime.  You had me jealous with all this Copper work so I'm working on a small piece, Just to get my File back out he he . I need to get back it full form, before I take on this big window emblem. I'm kind of dreading that one! my hands hurt just thinking about it.

Hehe, I smell something ambitious on the horizon. :D

I do really love to work with Copper.

As do I, it's just such a lovely material.

Your build  Is perfect for what you want to use it for. My friend Sam that did the Renders would have a hay day with a rig like your building.

Yeah I think it will fit my needs rather well (well, needs is relative ;)). And indeed it

would make for a pretty nice rendering rig. Not the most powerful one you could get nowadays,

but still pretty jealousy-inducing for most folks. :D

Experiments take time, my friend, experiments take time. I have just epoxied something

together, need to wait at least 24 hours before I can test it. It's all trial and error

(well, mostly error up to this point :lol: ), which takes a huge amount of time (obviously).

In the meantime, have this:

brownie_tart.jpg

Experiments take time, my friend, experiments take time. I have just epoxied something

together, need to wait at least 24 hours before I can test it. It's all trial and error

(well, mostly error up to this point :lol: ), which takes a huge amount of time (obviously).

In the meantime, have this:

brownie_tart.jpg

Yummy yummy yummy yummy !

Oh and, You wouldn't have all your problem/errors with a 12OD hard pipe ! :D

Oh and, You wouldn't have all your problem/errors with a 12OD hard pipe ! :D

Haha, very true. But I actually enjoy this kind of trial and error stuff, so it's OK. :D

Ok, i'm subbing to this. My god Alpenwasser, that's one hell off an eatable thread you got going here. Can I sign up for a brownie? 
​I am absolutely blown away by the cable management.

I am very glad to see you make that Tutorial, it's awesome you put time into it! 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua