PSU good enough?

congrey

I recently bought a new PC and I'm not sure if this power supply is sufficient. I asked on other websites and some say its ok and others say its not. The reviews on it seem to be pretty good but I'm still unsure. Keep in mind that I won't be overclocking with this system. Hopefully you guys can help me out. Thanks!

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16817438016?Item=9SIAFJ86WS2141&Description=evga 500 w1&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&cm_re=evga_500_w1-_-17-438-016-_-Product&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X

MBD: MSI X470 Gaming Plus

RAM: XPG 16 GB DDR4-3000 MHZ

GPU:  MSI GTX 1660 

SSD: Sabrent Rocket 256 GB

PSU: EVGA 500 W1 100-W1-0500-KR 80+ WHITE 500W Power Supply

I'd get a better power supply in my opinion.

The W1 is made for low-end or old builds; and it's fine for that. For higher-end builds, this power supply wouldn't exactly be great; it's non-modular, it has low efficiency, and it has poor performance. It'll work, but your system may not last as long, and it'll be harder to upgrade or cable-manage due to the non-modular cables (basically the cables are attached to the power supply, and are usually much more stiff.)

Pick up an EVGA GD, a SeaSonic FOCUS(+) or a beQuiet! Pure Power 11 (above 400W). They're good cheap power supplies that will do a much better job and are still quite nice. These power supplies aren't modular/semi-modular (except the SeaSonic) however. If you're willing to fork out some extra money for a much longer warranty and full modularity, you'll want a Corsair RMx or a SeaSonic Prime.

However, it'll be 'okay' and it'll work just fine; I'm not saying it won't. It's just that it's not exactly a good power-supply and you might want to fork out 50-100$ for a new one.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

32 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

I'd get a better power supply in my opinion.

The W1 is made for low-end or old builds; and it's fine for that. For higher-end builds, this power supply wouldn't exactly be great; it's non-modular, it has low efficiency, and it has poor performance. It'll work, but your system may not last as long, and it'll be harder to upgrade or cable-manage due to the non-modular cables (basically the cables are attached to the power supply, and are usually much more stiff.)

Pick up an EVGA GD, a SeaSonic FOCUS(+) or a beQuiet! Pure Power 11 (above 400W). They're good cheap power supplies that will do a much better job and are still quite nice. These power supplies aren't modular/semi-modular (except the SeaSonic) however. If you're willing to fork out some extra money for a much longer warranty and full modularity, you'll want a Corsair RMx or a SeaSonic Prime.

However, it'll be 'okay' and it'll work just fine; I'm not saying it won't. It's just that it's not exactly a good power-supply and you might want to fork out 50-100$ for a new one.

So would it be fine to use this power supply for a few months and then upgrade it later on? 

1 minute ago, congrey said:

So would it be fine to use this power supply for a few months and then upgrade it later on? 

Absolutely

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

that is the excact same specs as the PC I am running now and I when for a 600 watt power supply, but that one would work