Recommended 2070 Super aftermarket card

Anon7mous
Go to solution Solved by Stormseeker9,
Just now, Anon7mous said:

It's not the gaming x trio version. That one costs 50-60€ more than the cards mention. It's the ventus version with twin fans.

I’m giving you a recommendation here.  Ventus isn’t that good

is the 2070S armour available to you?

I can't seem to find a good overview or a recommendation. I'm looking for a reliable card with decent thermals and noise, basically good build quality. I don't mind dishing out a bit more to get a good card.

Where I live the following cards are the cheapest:

1. GigaByte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Windforce

2. MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Ventus

3. Zotac GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Twin Fan

4. Inno3D RTX 2070 SUPER twin X2

There are other variants that cost 20-30€ more and I can get one of those if it is worth it (Other cards from Zotac, Palit, Gainward etc)

Which one would you recommend?

MSI gaming X trio one of the better ones, without paying too much extra. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

3 minutes ago, Anon7mous said:

I can't seem to find a good overview or a recommendation. I'm looking for a reliable card with decent thermals and noise,

You pretty much just want the biggest cooler for the lowest price, assuming it has decent memory/VRM cooling as well.
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/tTCFf7/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2070-super-8-gb-windforce-oc-3x-video-card-gv-n207swf3oc-8gd

But, I'd just save a bunch and get an RX 5700/XT only ~360 EUR with 80-90% the same performance, or the nitro+ is just really nice.
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/NLPgXL/powercolor-radeon-rx-5700-8-gb-red-dragon-video-card-axrx-5700-8gbd6-3dhroc

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

You pretty much just want the biggest cooler for the lowest price, assuming it has decent memory/VRM cooling as well.
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/tTCFf7/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2070-super-8-gb-windforce-oc-3x-video-card-gv-n207swf3oc-8gd

But, I'd just save a bunch and get an RX 5700/XT only ~360 EUR with 80-90% the same performance, or the nitro+ is just really nice.
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/NLPgXL/powercolor-radeon-rx-5700-8-gb-red-dragon-video-card-axrx-5700-8gbd6-3dhroc

I'm actually returning my 5700xt tomorrow. I have nothing against AMD, I've been basically using their CPUs and GPUs since 2013 but ever since I got my 5700xt 2 weeks ago I'm having driver issues. Constant black screens, crashes etc and I'm just can't take it anymore.

I heard some people complaining about gigabyte having bad build quality... 

5 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

MSI gaming X trio one of the better ones, without paying too much extra. 

It's not the gaming x trio version. That one costs 50-60€ more than the cards mention. It's the ventus version with twin fans.

2 minutes ago, Anon7mous said:

I'm actually returning my 5700xt tomorrow. I have nothing against AMD, I've been basically using their CPUs and GPUs since

Did you already reinstall windows with the RX 5700? Pretty much every bug has been worked out in 19.10.1/2

and are you sure it's not the PSU? Or just a bad card with some crap memory that can't hit stock speeds?

What happens if you drop the power target to 50%?

And how much are used 1080tis compared to 2070 supers?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Just now, Anon7mous said:

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Did you already reinstall windows with the RX 5700? Pretty much every bug has been worked out in 19.10.1/2

and are you sure it's not the PSU? Or just a bad card with some crap memory that can't hit stock speeds?

What happens if you drop the power target to 50%?

I tried everything I could think of. I asked for advice here, on reddit and AMD forums.

I tried clean reinstalling my windows two times. I did GPU stress tests, CPU tests, memory tests, spend countless hours analyzing event viewer and nothing worked. I used multiple AMD drivers and I always experience crashes:

1382694251_AMDDriverProblem1.thumb.PNG.820542752db23a60f56de118f2f058fd.PNG

1781885067_AMDDriverProblem2.PNG.9aa5e7661daf854624df72481d0cd592.PNG

All of the components in my PC are brand new and the PSU is Corsair RMx 650W. I didn't swap it out to test how the system works with another PSU but it held good during hour long stress tests.

8 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Ah thanks. I thought you mentioned one of the ones from my list. I'm a bit confused picking a 2070 super because the prices for aftermarket models go from 480€ to over 600€. I don't mind spending around 500-520€. Unfortunately the card you mentioned is quite expensive.

2070S Armour is not available where I live. This is pretty much what I have at disposal: https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/ProductCategory/16073F1263426.html

edit: spelling, forgot to answer the question.

3 minutes ago, Anon7mous said:

It just sounds like a bad GPU that could use an RMA/exchange, only other thing would be flashing a fresh bios onto it if you have some way to recover from that.

the issue when you start to go for higher end 2070 supers is that you get into entry level 2080s, same for most GPUs really.

How much are used 1080tis compared to 2070 supers?

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

It just sounds like a bad GPU that could use an RMA/exchange, only other thing would be flashing a fresh bios onto it if you have some way to recover from that.

the issue when you start to go for higher end 2070 supers is that you get into entry level 2080s, same for most GPUs really.

How much are used 1080tis compared to 2070 supers?

Yeah, to be honest I've spent too much of my free time trying to find a solution for the problem and that frustrates me. I shoulda just spend the card back a week ago.

Used 1080ti's are affordable but I would prefer to get a new card. I've spent 430€ for the 5700xt and the 2070s cards are around 500€. I don't mind paying 70€ more for a new stable card that will perform well on 1440p / 144 Hz. I'm just not sure how big are the differences between 2070s cards and which ones have a good built quality.

I can choose between these cards: https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/ProductCategory/16073F1263426.html

20 minutes ago, Anon7mous said:

Ah thanks. I thought you mentioned one of the ones from my list. I'm a bit confused picking a 2070 super because the prices for aftermarket models go from 480€ to over 600€. I don't mind spending around 500-520€. Unfortunately the card you mentioned is quite expensive.

2070S Armour is not available where I live. This is pretty much what I have at disposal: https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/ProductCategory/16073F1263426.html

edit: spelling, forgot to answer the question.

So Germany based? Should be much more available to you

2 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

So Germany based? Should be much more available to you

Ah I found it. 510€. That actually looks perfect. Thank you!

13 hours ago, Anon7mous said:

Y

All of the cards will have the same performance, it just depends on how quiet you want the cooler to be.

Spoiler

Im also looking for a 2070 Super, and im also returning my 5700XT for the exact same reason. Constant black screens and i have tried everything, i even bought a new PSU, swapped ram, swapped PCIE slots, re-fitted all cables nothing works. The AMD forum is filled with complaints about the black screen of death so i dont feel that confident getting another one the only thing that worked for me was switching the 5700XT with my older card rx480 and no more black screens! Now im looking for a nVidia card because im tired of AMDs horrible drivers.

On 11/4/2019 at 9:37 PM, Tommil88 said:

Im also looking for a 2070 Super, and im also returning my 5700XT for the exact same reason. Constant black screens and i have tried everything, i even bought a new PSU, swapped ram, swapped PCIE slots, re-fitted all cables nothing works. The AMD forum is filled with complaints about the black screen of death so i dont feel that confident getting another one the only thing that worked for me was switching the 5700XT with my older card rx480 and no more black screens! Now im looking for a nVidia card because im tired of AMDs horrible drivers.

Don't know if you already ordered one but I got mine today and after a few hours I'm super satisfied. No crashes, lower temps and more FPS. If you can add another 70-100€ I can wholeheartedly recommend it.