I'm literally loling at my laptop right now

It's making me extremely mad so I'm laughing out of frustration, if that makes sense.

https://www.upload.ee/image/10675707/pic.png

All the programs were closed about one minute before this picture was taken and the Maximum Frequency is still above 100% lol. So why the bloody hell is it so high when there's nothing using my laptop? Not to say that this makes the fans run faster, the temperatures fluctuate a lot and get up to 80-85 even more for a second, but also VID #0, VID #1 under Voltages fluctuate a lot, from 0.700V for example to 1.215V.

When I plug the laptop out, Frequency gets back to 45-50 and VID values stop fluctuating so much.

So what the hell is going on with this laptop?

It's an ASUS TUF FX504GM and sometimes I wish I never bought it.

Is this a clean install or does it still have bundled software from Asus?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

Is this a clean install or does it still have bundled software from Asus?

What do you mean?

1 minute ago, kristalshards said:

What do you mean?

clean OS install (as in you replaced the OS install in there when you first got it)

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

clean OS install (as in you replaced the OS install in there when you first got it)

Yes it’s a clean Win10.

3 hours ago, kristalshards said:

Maximum Frequency is still above 100% lol.

For Intel mobile CPUs, the Resource Monitor calculates the Maximum Frequency percentage based on the CPU's base frequency.  Mobile CPUs have a low base frequency and uses lots of turbo boost to reach their maximum speed.  Based on this, it is normal for the Resource Monitor to report Maximum Frequency percentages way over 100%.

LBbrgVB.png

The base multiplier for the 4700MQ is 24 and the maximum turbo multiplier is 36 so the Resource Monitor reports that the CPU is running at almost 150% of its base frequency.  That number might look stupid but it is correct.  

3 hours ago, kristalshards said:

why the bloody hell is it so high

I adjust my laptop so the Maximum Frequency percentage is as high as possible.  CPUs reach peak efficiency when they are running fast.  A fast CPU can process Window's background tasks quickly.  This allows the CPU cores to spend more time in the low power C7 state.  In C7, the core is disconnected from the voltage rail and the internal clock so it is running at 0 MHz and 0 volts.  That is how a modern Intel CPU saves power.

Here is a good paper from some smart guys at Berkeley that explains the "race to sleep" concept.

https://www2.eecs.berkeley.edu/Pubs/TechRpts/2009/EECS-2009-140.pdf

The important data to watch is how much time your CPU is spending in the C0 state working on tasks, and how much time it is spending in C7, consuming next to nothing for power. 

1qeib3x.png

When properly setup, Windows 10 can be very efficient.  Every time you install something new, you have to keep a close eye on how that new program changes the C0% and C7% residency time.  It only takes one poorly written program to screw up a lean system.  

When a computer with a 6 core CPU is idle, the individual cores should be spending 99% of their time asleep in C7.  Forcing a CPU core out of C7 where it was happily sitting at 0 volts and then immediately sampling its VID voltage will provide you with a meaningless number.  C state residency time is important.  VID voltage and the reported CPU MHz when idle are not.  

What you really need to be doing with an 8750H is under volting both the CPU Core and CPU Cache by approximately -125 mV.  You can use Intel XTU or ThrottleStop to under volt.  This is what most enthusiasts do to help control heat.

4 hours ago, unclewebb said:

For Intel mobile CPUs, the Resource Monitor calculates the Maximum Frequency percentage based on the CPU's base frequency.  Mobile CPUs have a low base frequency and uses lots of turbo boost to reach their maximum speed.  Based on this, it is normal for the Resource Monitor to report Maximum Frequency percentages way over 100%.

LBbrgVB.png

The base multiplier for the 4700MQ is 24 and the maximum turbo multiplier is 36 so the Resource Monitor reports that the CPU is running at almost 150% of its base frequency.  That number might look stupid but it is correct.  

I adjust my laptop so the Maximum Frequency percentage is as high as possible.  CPUs reach peak efficiency when they are running fast.  A fast CPU can process Window's background tasks quickly.  This allows the CPU cores to spend more time in the low power C7 state.  In C7, the core is disconnected from the voltage rail and the internal clock so it is running at 0 MHz and 0 volts.  That is how a modern Intel CPU saves power.

Here is a good paper from some smart guys at Berkeley that explains the "race to sleep" concept.

https://www2.eecs.berkeley.edu/Pubs/TechRpts/2009/EECS-2009-140.pdf

The important data to watch is how much time your CPU is spending in the C0 state working on tasks, and how much time it is spending in C7, consuming next to nothing for power. 

1qeib3x.png

When properly setup, Windows 10 can be very efficient.  Every time you install something new, you have to keep a close eye on how that new program changes the C0% and C7% residency time.  It only takes one poorly written program to screw up a lean system.  

When a computer with a 6 core CPU is idle, the individual cores should be spending 99% of their time asleep in C7.  Forcing a CPU core out of C7 where it was happily sitting at 0 volts and then immediately sampling its VID voltage will provide you with a meaningless number.  C state residency time is important.  VID voltage and the reported CPU MHz when idle are not.  

What you really need to be doing with an 8750H is under volting both the CPU Core and CPU Cache by approximately -125 mV.  You can use Intel XTU or ThrottleStop to under volt.  This is what most enthusiasts do to help control heat.

Believe it or not but I undervolted in Throttlestop with absolutely no effect. Basically not a single less degree was reduced.

I am not sure what to do with this laptop, I'm getting 73-74 degrees while playing BF1 for both GPU and CPU despite undervolting, changing thermal paste and using overboost fan mode. I'm at lost right now. Is this how laptops temps are in full load?

74 degrees under load for a laptop really isn't bad. My laptop sits consistently in the high 80/low 90s if i'm gaming. All dust free and re-pasted and everything.

Laptops just have a whole lot less space for heatsinks and use tiny fans so yeah, obviously some are better than others but any laptop will be running insanely hot in comparison to a desktop with equivalent components

Ryzen 7 2700X  | Gigabyte RX5700 XT | ASUS TUF B450M | HyperX Fury 2x16gb 3200MHz |  CM MasterBox Lite 3 (Mesh Modded) | Corsair MP510 960GB | Be Quiet Pure Power 11 700w

Is windows updated? add this kind of issue with a laptop at work but with the HDD at 100% load all the time, updating windows solved the issue.

Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

If it ain't overclocked it ain't good...

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU

5 hours ago, kristalshards said:

Is this how laptops temps are in full load?

73°C to 74°C on an 8750H while playing BF1 is fantastic.  Many laptops with this processor are running at over 90°C when gaming.  

Intel considers any temperature under 100°C to be a "safe operating temperature".  That is the temperature that Intel sets for thermal throttling to begin.  Many individual manufacturers have decided to lower that number a few degrees so the CPU is extra safe.  Look at the main screen of ThrottleStop.  It will show you what temperature Asus set PROCHOT to. (processor hot)  

I believe that Asus set the FX504GM to 95°C so your laptop will start thermal throttling earlier than Intel recommends.  This will prevent the CPU from ever hitting the full 100°C that Intel rates these CPUs capable of.

14 hours ago, Mathieu9836 said:

Is windows updated? add this kind of issue with a laptop at work but with the HDD at 100% load all the time, updating windows solved the issue.

Yes, Windows is updated.

20 hours ago, kristalshards said:

I am not sure what to do with this laptop, I'm getting 73-74 degrees while playing BF1 for both GPU and CPU despite undervolting, changing thermal paste and using overboost fan mode. I'm at lost right now. Is this how laptops temps are in full load?

Those temps are perfectly normal for a laptop. Stop stressing.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

On 11/5/2019 at 9:22 AM, Skipple said:

Those temps are perfectly normal for a laptop. Stop stressing.

The problem is that these temperatures keep rising. Last night I played for about an hour and it reached 75-76 degrees on both CPU and GPU.

So I wouldn’t be surprised if I reach 80 degrees in the next few days which is quite annoying.

Btw maybe I should turn off Turbo Boost? Heard that it generates a lot of heat.

And one more thing - when I opened the laptop this morning, the Resource Monitor popped up and guess what - Maximum Frequency was exceeding 100% lol...

Edited by kristalshards

1 hour ago, kristalshards said:

The problem is that these temperatures keep rising. Last night I played for about an hour and it reached 75-76 degrees on both CPU and GPU.

So I wouldn’t be surprised if I reach 80 degrees in the next few days which is quite annoying.

Btw maybe I should turn off Turbo Boost? Heard that it generates a lot of heat.

And one more thing - when I opened the laptop this morning, the Resource Monitor popped up and guess what - Maximum Frequency was exceeding 100% lol...

80C is fine for a laptop, stop stressing yourself. Its an ASUS TUF, its a gaming laptop, I'd be more concerned if it wasn't boosting up.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

22 hours ago, BigRom said:

80C is fine for a laptop, stop stressing yourself. Its an ASUS TUF, its a gaming laptop, I'd be more concerned if it wasn't boosting up.

Ok but just because I say the temps are around 75-76 it doesn't mean they never exceed 90 degrees. What I mean is that if I open HWMonitor and leave it in the background and then start playing BF1, there are chances the max temps registered in HWMonitor are around 93 degrees. 75-76 degrees like I wrote are the constant temps shown in MSI Afterburner.

Ok so I think I found a solution to the fluctuating VID values.

I've changed the Power Plan to Power Saver and I've got these results.

pic.png

The CPU clocks are at 40% but it's enough for me to do my work. However, I'm curious if the laptop will turbo boost on this power plan when I'm gaming.

Also you can see the temps barely got out of the 50 degrees range which is good and also VID barely got higher than 0.650V which is good as I experienced even 1.200V on Balanced power plan.

This aside, I'm wondering what's changed between the two power plans and if I can create a hybrid between these two.

Cheers.