ntfs + ext file systems together

TheBean
Go to solution Solved by Corrupt_Liberty,
7 hours ago, Saksham said:

I already have windows installed on my ssd. I want to install the linux on a hdd which already has files on it. Do I still follow these steps?

No.  You'll want to hit the custom option in the installer.  From there you'll be able to resize the partition manually.  I think you'll also have to define your / (root), /home (if you want it as a separate partition), and swap partitions (should be about twice your RAM).  A separate /home partition is nice that way if you have to reinstall the OS you can do so while leaving all your personal files and config files intact.

I want to install linux on my 2nd internal laptop drive. 

My boot drive is a windows ssd. I want to dual boot linux on my hard drive which is my second drive. 

Is it possible to install linux onto a partition of my hdd if I split the drive into 2? or do I have to use the entire drive. 

if I have to wipe the entire drive, can I just put the files that were there before I have to format and just put then back as they were onto the linux disk. I have games installed onto the hdd. also, I hope anti-cheat doesnt think im cheating if I do this

I hope this isnt confusing. lmk if I should clarify anything.

Edit: would windows and programs be able to put files onto en exFAT drive and use it normally?

Edited by Saksham

5 minutes ago, Saksham said:

I want to install linux on my 2nd internal laptop drive. 

My boot drive is a windows ssd. I want to dual boot linux on my hard drive which is my second drive. 

Is it possible to install linux onto a partition of my hdd if I split the drive into 2? or do I have to use the entire drive. 

if I have to wipe the entire drive, can I just put the files that were there before I have to format and just put then back as they were onto the linux disk. I have games installed onto the hdd. also, I hope anti-cheat doesnt think im cheating if I do this

I hope this isnt confusing. lmk if I should clarify anything.

Install Windows first using the entire drive.  When you install Linux you have the option to use the entire drive or do a guided install alongside Windows.  Do the guided option and the Linux install will automatically shrink the Windows partition and re-partition the remaining space for Linux.

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

1 hour ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

Install Windows first using the entire drive.  When you install Linux you have the option to use the entire drive or do a guided install alongside Windows.  Do the guided option and the Linux install will automatically shrink the Windows partition and re-partition the remaining space for Linux.

I already have windows installed on my ssd. I want to install the linux on a hdd which already has files on it. Do I still follow these steps?

Edited by Saksham

I have windows on a ssd and I plan to install linux on my hard drive. 

can I set up a way so that I can have my windows games be stored on the linux drive? I heard that there are issues with ext4 and ntfs but I dont really understand it. 

I want to do this because my ssd is small and my games are large. So i have my ssd as the main windows boot drive and then my games are installed on the hard drive which is the linux boot drive. 

You can make the partition that Linux is stored on very small, and then have a separate partition for a file volume.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 hours ago, Saksham said:

No.  You'll want to hit the custom option in the installer.  From there you'll be able to resize the partition manually.  I think you'll also have to define your / (root), /home (if you want it as a separate partition), and swap partitions (should be about twice your RAM).  A separate /home partition is nice that way if you have to reinstall the OS you can do so while leaving all your personal files and config files intact.

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

Create two (technically more) partitions on the hard drive, one for the Linux operating system in XFS or EXT4 or similar filesystem (and boot partition for that, but you do not need to create that manually) and other one for Windows games as NTFS.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

@Fasauceome @jj9987

but when installing an OS, I thought it requires that you wipe the drive and not the partition right? I tested this out on my usb drive. I created 2 partitions. When I wanted to burn the ISO onto it with etcher, it makes you select the drive (not the partition)

4 hours ago, Saksham said:

@Fasauceome @jj9987

but when installing an OS, I thought it requires that you wipe the drive and not the partition right? I tested this out on my usb drive. I created 2 partitions. When I wanted to burn the ISO onto it with etcher, it makes you select the drive (not the partition)

I have installed Windows 7 and Ubuntu on a single 1.5TB HDD, I had the ISO burned ona. Separate disc which lets you select a partition without Wiping the whole drive

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 hours ago, Saksham said:

@Fasauceome @jj9987

If you start a custom installation, you can manually create the partitions. But you know what needs setting up.

Or just install Linux first, then decrease the Linux / partition and use that empty space to create new partition for Windows with GParted or whatever is built into Linux.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Easy way to do this is to install Ubuntu, or your linux flavor of choice, first.. and windows last.  Windows is picky about where it goes.  If your doing more then a dual boot it gets a bit more complicated. 

*** Threads merged ***

Please don't post multiple times about same subject.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv