Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ninjapandanl

Building my first high end PC

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi all,

 

I want to make my first high end PC and with the ryze of AMD I want to make the comparison between an AMD rig or an intel rig.

Now I hear everyone saying I should go AMD cause its more bang for my buck. But when I make the comparison in the Dutch market the money I make from the cheaper CPU (3700x vs 9700k) I lose on having to get a more expensive mobo and more expensive RAM as you need faster RAM with tighter timings for an AMD setup. Am I missing something? I dont know much about PC building so any help is much appreciated.

My gpu is going to be the 2080 super.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ninjapandanl said:

Hi all,

 

I want to make my first high end PC and with the ryze of AMD I want to make the comparison between an AMD rig or an intel rig.

Now I hear everyone saying I should go AMD cause its more bang for my buck. But when I make the comparison in the Dutch market the money I make from the cheaper CPU (3700x vs 9700k) I lose on having to get a more expensive mobo and more expensive RAM as you need faster RAM with tighter timings for an AMD setup. Am I missing something? I dont know much about PC building so any help is much appreciated.

My gpu is going to be the 2080 super.

You would be good with a AMD 3700 coupled with that 2080 Super.  Personally I would go Intel and grab the 9700k with that 2080 Super and you will do just fine.  Can I ask what settings you plan on playing games at ? What resolution you using for gaming ?  Also with a AMD build youll have that nice fan sound of the x570 chipset.  You can go x470 with a 3700 grantid you flash the BIOS and what not.


Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can run a 3700X off something like MSI's B450 Tomahawk MAX, they're pretty cheap and come with a 3000 series compatible BIOS. 


X58-X79-X99-X299 lads: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread - Murica (But International) Parrot Gang

 

Current Main - i7 6950X (currently stock) - EVGA CLC 280 - EVGA X99 Micro 2 - 32 GB RAM [4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4] @3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 CR2 - Nvidia FE 2060 Super - 1TB 970 Evo - Corsair RM1000i - Fractal Design Meshify C Mini - 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 3000s + 1 Noctua iPPC NF-F12 2000
 

Bits - i7 5960X - undecided - EVGA X99 Classified - 16 GB RAM [4x4GB EVGA SSC DDR4] - undecided - 250GB 960 Evo - undecided - Corsair 750D

 

Mac Pro 1,1 - (EFI flashed to 2,1) - 2x 2.66Ghz Dual Core LGA771 Xeons (2x X5355s - 2.66Ghz quad cores - on the way) - 32GB 667Mhz ECC DDR2 - Nvidia 7300 GT (ATI HD 4870 512MB on the way) - 1TB + 2x 2TB HDDs (HDD sled on the way for a 4th drive) - 24" Apple Cinema Display (1920x1200 TFT panel)

 

2019 13" rMBP (i5/8GB/256GB) {work} - 2012 13" MBP (i5/16GB/1TB MX500 + 2TB Firecuda) {mine} - iPhone 11 Pro Max + Apple Watch S3 42mm - iPod Classic 6G 80GB running Rockbox + iPod Classic 5.5G Enhanced 30GB also on Rockbox 

 

whip and nae nae

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
19 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

You can run a 3700X off something like MSI's B450 Tomahawk MAX, they're pretty cheap and come with a 3000 series compatible BIOS. 

Hmm ok, I will look into that thanks :) I thought you needed one of the newer motherboards. Any idea about the memory?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
32 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

You would be good with a AMD 3700 coupled with that 2080 Super.  Personally I would go Intel and grab the 9700k with that 2080 Super and you will do just fine.  Can I ask what settings you plan on playing games at ? What resolution you using for gaming ?  Also with a AMD build youll have that nice fan sound of the x570 chipset.  You can go x470 with a 3700 grantid you flash the BIOS and what not.

I want to run the upcoming games as well as possible. currently on a 1440p screen. I was looking mostly at the 9700k i just dont want to exclude AMD just because iam not familiar with it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ninjapandanl said:

Hmm ok, I will look into that thanks :) I thought you needed one of the newer motherboards. Any idea about the memory?

3200Mhz CL14 - or preferably - 3600Mhz CL16 is the best. Both types are usually about the same as 3200Mhz CL16 or 3000Mhz stuff, thanks to dropping prices. I've seen some 3600Mhz CL16 stuff that's cheaper than slower RAM due to sales. If the market is similar in your country, it shouldn't cost much more. 


X58-X79-X99-X299 lads: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread - Murica (But International) Parrot Gang

 

Current Main - i7 6950X (currently stock) - EVGA CLC 280 - EVGA X99 Micro 2 - 32 GB RAM [4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4] @3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 CR2 - Nvidia FE 2060 Super - 1TB 970 Evo - Corsair RM1000i - Fractal Design Meshify C Mini - 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 3000s + 1 Noctua iPPC NF-F12 2000
 

Bits - i7 5960X - undecided - EVGA X99 Classified - 16 GB RAM [4x4GB EVGA SSC DDR4] - undecided - 250GB 960 Evo - undecided - Corsair 750D

 

Mac Pro 1,1 - (EFI flashed to 2,1) - 2x 2.66Ghz Dual Core LGA771 Xeons (2x X5355s - 2.66Ghz quad cores - on the way) - 32GB 667Mhz ECC DDR2 - Nvidia 7300 GT (ATI HD 4870 512MB on the way) - 1TB + 2x 2TB HDDs (HDD sled on the way for a 4th drive) - 24" Apple Cinema Display (1920x1200 TFT panel)

 

2019 13" rMBP (i5/8GB/256GB) {work} - 2012 13" MBP (i5/16GB/1TB MX500 + 2TB Firecuda) {mine} - iPhone 11 Pro Max + Apple Watch S3 42mm - iPod Classic 6G 80GB running Rockbox + iPod Classic 5.5G Enhanced 30GB also on Rockbox 

 

whip and nae nae

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ninjapandanl said:

I want to run the upcoming games as well as possible. currently on a 1440p screen. I was looking mostly at the 9700k i just dont want to exclude AMD just because iam not familiar with it.

 

The 9700k is right next to a 9900k pretty much similar in gaming performance.  What else do you do on the PC ?  If gaming is your main thing grab a 9700k with a 2080 and as far as RAM a 3200 or 3600Mhz will do just fine.  AMD desperatly wants faster and tighter latency RAM while Intel is not picky and gives same performance if not more.


Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
25 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

3200Mhz CL14 - or preferably - 3600Mhz CL16 is the best. Both types are usually about the same as 3200Mhz CL16 or 3000Mhz stuff, thanks to dropping prices. I've seen some 3600Mhz CL16 stuff that's cheaper than slower RAM due to sales. If the market is similar in your country, it shouldn't cost much more. 

Thanks, no such luck as far as I can see, 3600 cl16 is twice as expensive as 3200 cl16

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ninjapandanl said:

Thanks, no such luck as far as I can see, 3600 cl16 is twice as expensive as 3200 cl16

Oof, if 3200Mhz CL16 is the best bang for the buck then just get that. It'll still be fine, and you can probably tighten up the timings or OC it a bit too if you're down to tweak. 


X58-X79-X99-X299 lads: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread - Murica (But International) Parrot Gang

 

Current Main - i7 6950X (currently stock) - EVGA CLC 280 - EVGA X99 Micro 2 - 32 GB RAM [4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4] @3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 CR2 - Nvidia FE 2060 Super - 1TB 970 Evo - Corsair RM1000i - Fractal Design Meshify C Mini - 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 3000s + 1 Noctua iPPC NF-F12 2000
 

Bits - i7 5960X - undecided - EVGA X99 Classified - 16 GB RAM [4x4GB EVGA SSC DDR4] - undecided - 250GB 960 Evo - undecided - Corsair 750D

 

Mac Pro 1,1 - (EFI flashed to 2,1) - 2x 2.66Ghz Dual Core LGA771 Xeons (2x X5355s - 2.66Ghz quad cores - on the way) - 32GB 667Mhz ECC DDR2 - Nvidia 7300 GT (ATI HD 4870 512MB on the way) - 1TB + 2x 2TB HDDs (HDD sled on the way for a 4th drive) - 24" Apple Cinema Display (1920x1200 TFT panel)

 

2019 13" rMBP (i5/8GB/256GB) {work} - 2012 13" MBP (i5/16GB/1TB MX500 + 2TB Firecuda) {mine} - iPhone 11 Pro Max + Apple Watch S3 42mm - iPod Classic 6G 80GB running Rockbox + iPod Classic 5.5G Enhanced 30GB also on Rockbox 

 

whip and nae nae

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
12 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Oof, if 3200Mhz CL16 is the best bang for the buck then just get that. It'll still be fine, and you can probably tighten up the timings or OC it a bit too if you're down to tweak. 

But considering 3200 cl16 is fine for an Intel build wouldnt it be better for me to go intel over amd? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
31 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

The 9700k is right next to a 9900k pretty much similar in gaming performance.  What else do you do on the PC ?  If gaming is your main thing grab a 9700k with a 2080 and as far as RAM a 3200 or 3600Mhz will do just fine.  AMD desperatly wants faster and tighter latency RAM while Intel is not picky and gives same performance if not more.

I mostly game yesl. so maybe going save with  the 9700k is better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ninjapandanl said:

But considering 3200 cl16 is fine for an Intel build wouldnt it be better for me to go intel over amd? 

If that come out the same/cheaper then yeah, especially if you're willing to get a beefy cooler and OC. At stock the R5 3600 is only 10fps or so behind in most games, down to 3 in some and up to 20 in a couple. The 3700X would be similar or slightly better than that, so stock vs stock unless Ryzen comes out more expensive it will win. If you're overclocking then I'd go Intel for higher headroom (but again, you need a good cooler). 


X58-X79-X99-X299 lads: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread - Murica (But International) Parrot Gang

 

Current Main - i7 6950X (currently stock) - EVGA CLC 280 - EVGA X99 Micro 2 - 32 GB RAM [4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4] @3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 CR2 - Nvidia FE 2060 Super - 1TB 970 Evo - Corsair RM1000i - Fractal Design Meshify C Mini - 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 3000s + 1 Noctua iPPC NF-F12 2000
 

Bits - i7 5960X - undecided - EVGA X99 Classified - 16 GB RAM [4x4GB EVGA SSC DDR4] - undecided - 250GB 960 Evo - undecided - Corsair 750D

 

Mac Pro 1,1 - (EFI flashed to 2,1) - 2x 2.66Ghz Dual Core LGA771 Xeons (2x X5355s - 2.66Ghz quad cores - on the way) - 32GB 667Mhz ECC DDR2 - Nvidia 7300 GT (ATI HD 4870 512MB on the way) - 1TB + 2x 2TB HDDs (HDD sled on the way for a 4th drive) - 24" Apple Cinema Display (1920x1200 TFT panel)

 

2019 13" rMBP (i5/8GB/256GB) {work} - 2012 13" MBP (i5/16GB/1TB MX500 + 2TB Firecuda) {mine} - iPhone 11 Pro Max + Apple Watch S3 42mm - iPod Classic 6G 80GB running Rockbox + iPod Classic 5.5G Enhanced 30GB also on Rockbox 

 

whip and nae nae

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

If that come out the same/cheaper then yeah, especially if you're willing to get a beefy cooler and OC. At stock the R5 3600 is only 10fps or so behind in most games, down to 3 in some and up to 20 in a couple. The 3700X would be similar or slightly better than that, so stock vs stock unless Ryzen comes out more expensive it will win. If you're overclocking then I'd go Intel for higher headroom (but again, you need a good cooler). 

Yeah iam going with an AIO so I think the cooling should be good enough to look into overclocking ( i would go aio for both amd as intel as i like the look a lot more)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Ninjapandanl said:

Yeah iam going with an AIO so I think the cooling should be good enough to look into overclocking ( i would go aio for both amd as intel as i like the look a lot more)

 

AIOs do look nice, but even the high end ones are slightly beat on performance by high end air coolers (that are usually around $90-100 vs the $130+ for a high end AIO) and have more failure points. If you get a high quality unit (ones from Corsair and NZXT are good, IDK many others but I can look into them individually if you have ones you're looking at) and keep the coolant temp under 40C, they should last the full length of the warranty though. 


X58-X79-X99-X299 lads: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread - Murica (But International) Parrot Gang

 

Current Main - i7 6950X (currently stock) - EVGA CLC 280 - EVGA X99 Micro 2 - 32 GB RAM [4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4] @3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 CR2 - Nvidia FE 2060 Super - 1TB 970 Evo - Corsair RM1000i - Fractal Design Meshify C Mini - 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 3000s + 1 Noctua iPPC NF-F12 2000
 

Bits - i7 5960X - undecided - EVGA X99 Classified - 16 GB RAM [4x4GB EVGA SSC DDR4] - undecided - 250GB 960 Evo - undecided - Corsair 750D

 

Mac Pro 1,1 - (EFI flashed to 2,1) - 2x 2.66Ghz Dual Core LGA771 Xeons (2x X5355s - 2.66Ghz quad cores - on the way) - 32GB 667Mhz ECC DDR2 - Nvidia 7300 GT (ATI HD 4870 512MB on the way) - 1TB + 2x 2TB HDDs (HDD sled on the way for a 4th drive) - 24" Apple Cinema Display (1920x1200 TFT panel)

 

2019 13" rMBP (i5/8GB/256GB) {work} - 2012 13" MBP (i5/16GB/1TB MX500 + 2TB Firecuda) {mine} - iPhone 11 Pro Max + Apple Watch S3 42mm - iPod Classic 6G 80GB running Rockbox + iPod Classic 5.5G Enhanced 30GB also on Rockbox 

 

whip and nae nae

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

AIOs do look nice, but even the high end ones are slightly beat on performance by high end air coolers (that are usually around $90-100 vs the $130+ for a high end AIO) and have more failure points. If you get a high quality unit (ones from Corsair and NZXT are good, IDK many others but I can look into them individually if you have ones you're looking at) and keep the coolant temp under 40C, they should last the full length of the warranty though. 

Iam thinking about getting the corsair 360mm h150i pro.

For memory I found these G.SKILL Trident Z Neo (For AMD Ryzen) Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin RGB DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C16D-16GTZNC which has timings of 16-19-19-39 If i get it from Newegg including the shipping costs its only moderatly more expensive than similar 3200 c16 (dont know the timings).

What you think?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ninjapandanl said:

Iam thinking about getting the corsair 360mm h150i pro.

For memory I found these G.SKILL Trident Z Neo (For AMD Ryzen) Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin RGB DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C16D-16GTZNC which has timings of 16-19-19-39 If i get it from Newegg including the shipping costs its only moderatly more expensive than similar 3200 c16 (dont know the timings).

What you think?

Those are loose-ish timings but it's still CL16, will be faster than RAM at a lower speed that's still the same CL rating. Would defo get that, and the Trident Z Neo stuff looks pretty damn good. I think the (for Ryzen) thing is just what they label 3600Mhz stuff, since it's the sweet spot for Zen 2. 

 

Corsair AIOs are solid, though keep in mind the 280mm ones perform on par with most 360s, and have one less fan so they're quieter. If the choice is between a 240 and 360 though, then get the 360. Or just get the 360 if you like the look. 


X58-X79-X99-X299 lads: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread - Murica (But International) Parrot Gang

 

Current Main - i7 6950X (currently stock) - EVGA CLC 280 - EVGA X99 Micro 2 - 32 GB RAM [4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4] @3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 CR2 - Nvidia FE 2060 Super - 1TB 970 Evo - Corsair RM1000i - Fractal Design Meshify C Mini - 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 3000s + 1 Noctua iPPC NF-F12 2000
 

Bits - i7 5960X - undecided - EVGA X99 Classified - 16 GB RAM [4x4GB EVGA SSC DDR4] - undecided - 250GB 960 Evo - undecided - Corsair 750D

 

Mac Pro 1,1 - (EFI flashed to 2,1) - 2x 2.66Ghz Dual Core LGA771 Xeons (2x X5355s - 2.66Ghz quad cores - on the way) - 32GB 667Mhz ECC DDR2 - Nvidia 7300 GT (ATI HD 4870 512MB on the way) - 1TB + 2x 2TB HDDs (HDD sled on the way for a 4th drive) - 24" Apple Cinema Display (1920x1200 TFT panel)

 

2019 13" rMBP (i5/8GB/256GB) {work} - 2012 13" MBP (i5/16GB/1TB MX500 + 2TB Firecuda) {mine} - iPhone 11 Pro Max + Apple Watch S3 42mm - iPod Classic 6G 80GB running Rockbox + iPod Classic 5.5G Enhanced 30GB also on Rockbox 

 

whip and nae nae

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Those are loose-ish timings but it's still CL16, will be faster than RAM at a lower speed that's still the same CL rating. Would defo get that, and the Trident Z Neo stuff looks pretty damn good. I think the (for Ryzen) thing is just what they label 3600Mhz stuff, since it's the sweet spot for Zen 2. 

 

Corsair AIOs are solid, though keep in mind the 280mm ones perform on par with most 360s, and have one less fan so they're quieter. If the choice is between a 240 and 360 though, then get the 360. Or just get the 360 if you like the look. 

Iam guessing the timings should be 16-16-16 right? What would you consider a normal price point for memory compared to cpu price. Maybe I should be looking at a different money slot if iam considering going for 300/400EUR cpu's 

 

I got the new Lian Li case which looks perfect with 360mm although iam pretty sure 280 would fit. seeing some test results on the 360 made me come to the conclusion its pretty silent?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×