Well, I won't use an AMD stock cooler again (pictures)

Just watching a Youtube video, and all of the sudden hear a loud noise in my case, so I shut down my computer and get a flashlight out. What do we find?

IMG_1869.JPG

IMG_1870.JPG

Has anyone experienced this before, or am I just that lucky? The computer has been together for months with no issues.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

you mean the mounting clip broke the plastic mounting frame on the board?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Just now, Jurrunio said:

you mean the mounting clip broke the plastic mounting frame on the board?

Yep, snapped the little "ear" right off the plastic bar screwed into the backplate through the board. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Well, that's bad luck but why was the wire "inside" the mounting clip ? It may have cause some stress over the plastic mounting because you had to force it inside the metal clip.

2 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

Well, that's bad luck but why was the wire "inside" the mounting clip ? It may have cause some stress over the plastic mounting because you had to force it inside the metal clip.

The wire was completely loose, had no tension on it at all. I fed it through there after the cooler was fully mounted on the board, it's the USB connector for the RGB on the Prism. The picture doesn't show it, but there's plenty of clearance above.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

1 minute ago, atxcyclist said:

The wire was completely loose, had no tension on it at all. I fed it through there after the cooler was fully mounted on the board, it's the USB connector for the RGB on the Prism.

Well then it's really bad luck :( 

really bad luck indeed.

But to be honest, i think it's more the plastic's fault than the cooler.

Gamesystem: X3700, 32GB memory @3200mhz, GTX1080 Hybrid

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti

1 minute ago, Plouffe said:

Well then it's really bad luck :( 

The most amazing part is, I have to sign up for health insurance Friday AM, and there's now no way to get a cooler in hand to get this computer running before then. The only local place that would have an AM4 cooler is Fry's, but they have cleared all their inventory out except a few custom water-cooling parts, so no way.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

1 minute ago, Caennanu said:

really bad luck indeed.

But to be honest, i think it's more the plastic's fault than the cooler.

For sure, but it's quite a drag. It also sucks that the plastic bar for AM4 is not compatible with AM3, because I have a few of those sitting around.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

1 minute ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

let me guess , msi mobo?

Ding ding ding, that is correct. Are their plastic cooler bits notorious? 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

You should probably learn how to install the cooler.  You didn't have that side in right. You had it on the edge and it broke.  The mounts and heatsinks are fine you just didn't install it right. I mean it happens but why blame the cooler when it's user error.  Those brackets take quite a bit of force to break and or crack. So anyone who has installed one would of felt how tight that was and remounted.  User error that's all it is. 

23 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

The plastic probably just had a defect in it that make it weaker.

you should be able to mount an AM3+ bracket in it's place with a bit of drilling though to make it have the same screw holes.

There's always PRIME Now shipping

You are just super unlucky.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, bignaz said:

You should probably learn how to install the cooler.  You didn't have that side in right. You had it on the edge and it broke.  The mounts and heatsinks are fine you just didn't install it right. I mean it happens but why blame the cooler when it's user error.  Those brackets take quite a bit of force to break and or crack. So anyone who has installed one would of felt how tight that was and remounted.  User error that's all it is. 

I've installed many of these AMD coolers with this style mount in the last few years, this one was mounted just fine. In fact I can see the mark on the piece that broke off, the clip was down in the groove like it's supposed to be. 

I realize this is the internet and some people know everything, but I've been putting computers together for over 25 years, and have built 50+ systems for myself and others during that time. I'm pretty confident that I can put a cooler on, and this one was double-checked before the first boot.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Yeah. Mmhmmmm. Keep blaming the cooler. The cooler had absolutely nothing to do with it. And when you have to list off your "credentials" it just confirms it. 

You blame the heatsink. Well it's not the heatsink. It has nothing to do with it lol. Again basic system builder stuff here 

Cheap mobo, cheap am4 bracket.   I never seen a soft bracket but I don't use cheap boards. Even then they don't break unless you have that clip on the outside of the mount and crank it down.

Cracked am4 bracket.   Can happen. Random Mass produced crap plastic. Keep tension on that with a small crack, thermal cycles and it breaks.  Again not the heatsink.

Most likely and pretty clear what Happened. Clip for the heatsink was not seated right.  It was sitting on the edge and not "keyed" into it's spot. Put it on that little extra plastic at the edge puts a few more lb's of force pulling on the edge. Time, heat cycles it breaks. 

Like I said. It happens. Mounting it on that little edge happens more then most people think.  I bet a large number of people who put the heatsink in why the mobo was in the PC and did it sideways have it mounted like this. I never seen that part break. It's not a big deal it happens no need and try to make it look like you have the only am4 heatsink in existence that is so put of spec it snaps a mount lol.

If you need a AM4 mount let me know. I got about 30 sets of them. I'll send you a set. It sucks but who cares. It's a part that's cheap and anyone who water cools will give you one. Of you want one just sende message I'll send you a set.  Hell if you pay for shipping I'll sent you a brand new wrath prism. I got a ton of those laying around to. 

1 minute ago, bignaz said:

Yeah. Mmhmmmm. Keep blaming the cooler. The cooler had absolutely nothing to do with it. And when you have to list off your "credentials" it just confirms it. 

You blame the heatsink. Well it's not the heatsink. It has nothing to do with it lol. Again basic system builder stuff here 

Cheap mobo, cheap am4 bracket.   I never seen a soft bracket but I don't use cheap boards. Even then they don't break unless you have that clip on the outside of the mount and crank it down.

Cracked am4 bracket.   Can happen. Random Mass produced crap plastic. Keep tension on that with a small crack, thermal cycles and it breaks.  Again not the heatsink.

Most likely and pretty clear what Happened. Clip for the heatsink was not seated right.  It was sitting on the edge and not "keyed" into it's spot. Put it on that little extra plastic at the edge puts a few more lb's of force pulling on the edge. Time, heat cycles it breaks. 

Like I said. It happens. Mounting it on that little edge happens more then most people think.  I bet a large number of people who put the heatsink in why the mobo was in the PC and did it sideways have it mounted like this. I never seen that part break. It's not a big deal it happens no need and try to make it look like you have the only am4 heatsink in existence that is so put of spec it snaps a mount lol.

If you need a AM4 mount let me know. I got about 30 sets of them. I'll send you a set. It sucks but who cares. It's a part that's cheap and anyone who water cools will give you one. Of you want one just sende message I'll send you a set.  Hell if you pay for shipping I'll sent you a brand new wrath prism. I got a ton of those laying around to. 

I asked if anyone else had seen one fail, apparently it's uncommon. It was installed correctly, checked twice. I can clearly see the mark on this piece showing it was installed correctly. Your assumption that I installed it wrong is just that, and you know what is said about assumptions.

I agreed with someone that called-out the distinction between the mount and heatsink a few posts before your first response, the difference was that they didn't immediately start calling me inept.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

10 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Stock cooler is for keeping in original box.

not true, you still need to test for base temps before boxing it

16 hours ago, Streetguru said:

The plastic probably just had a defect in it that make it weaker.

you should be able to mount an AM3+ bracket in it's place with a bit of drilling though to make it have the same screw holes.

There's always PRIME Now shipping

You are just super unlucky.

Amazon had my back, now I have a Hyper 212 Evo in there.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

9 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

Amazon had my back, now I have a Hyper 212 Evo in there.

They finally added an AM4 bracket to the 212 evo box? I kept buying Hyper T4s since it just used the same clip on thing.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 hours ago, Streetguru said:

They finally added an AM4 bracket to the 212 evo box? I kept buying Hyper T4s since it just used the same clip on thing.

Yeah, they looked to have two items when I searched, the older revision, and the one with the AM4 compatibility.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R