Disk usage in windows 10 goes to 100%?

Amir93
Go to solution Solved by NelizMastr,

This is normal behavior for Windows 10. This is also why people use SSDs. Current gen operating systems are optimized for use with SSDs, HDD as a boot drive is something that belongs in the past.

Hi guys, i'm currently running windows 10 version 1809 with the latest updates and everything.

Now i want to ask about disk usage, when every time i start up my PC, during the 1st 5 minutes from starting, i can see my disk usage goes up to almost 100%, when i check the task manager, i find sysmain consume all the disk usage, it takes usually 1 min, then it goes down again to its normals.

Also i find this thing occurs in some other cases, like after completing decompressing big RAR archieves, or after exiting a demanding game (in some times not all times), disk usage goes up to 100% for 1 min then it goes down again.

My question: what's going on?? is this thing normal in windows 10??

My system specs:

CPU: Core i5 8400.

RAM 16GB(2x8GB).

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 ti Gaming 8GB.

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB (2 HDDs).

HINT: Disk usage only occurs at one of my HDDs, not both together, usually this is the one who contains C drive.

Thanks in advance.

This is normal behavior for Windows 10. This is also why people use SSDs. Current gen operating systems are optimized for use with SSDs, HDD as a boot drive is something that belongs in the past.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

4 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Thanks for this information, i thought there's something wrong with my system, but its ok as you said, will consider getting an SSD for myself later.

Sysmain is new name for Superfetch. So your system loading some stuff to memory for faster works and saves some files on drive for improve speed of your system in the future. You can disable sysmain service, but it's not recommended if you have only hdd.

And don't worry about 100% disk usage - its not that it works heavier than it should. Hard drives usually works as fast as they can, so with proper drivers, good hdd connection, fast cpu etc. it's normal that disk operations are not limited in any way and your hdd usage is 100%.

On 10/31/2019 at 10:18 AM, homeap5 said:

Sysmain is new name for Superfetch. So your system loading some stuff to memory for faster works and saves some files on drive for improve speed of your system in the future. You can disable sysmain service, but it's not recommended if you have only hdd.

And don't worry about 100% disk usage - its not that it works heavier than it should. Hard drives usually works as fast as they can, so with proper drivers, good hdd connection, fast cpu etc. it's normal that disk operations are not limited in any way and your hdd usage is 100%.

More useful information, thank you so much for this, really appreciate it so much.