Samsung outdo itself by dropping profits over 50% this quarter compared to the last, according to its earning report.

williamcll

Samsung has reported their Q3 earnings, still profiting but not as much as they wish to at 6.7 billion USD.

n a challenging environment for chipmakers, Samsung Electronics on Thursday said its operating profit for the three months ending in September fell 56% versus the same period a year ago.

It is the fourth consecutive quarter where Samsung’s operating profit fell year-on-year. But, that number ticked up almost 18% from the previous quarter. It also beat guidance the company provided earlier this month.

Analysts say there could be a slow recovery in the semiconductor space, where chipmakers have struggled due to low prices and demand for memory chips, Samsung shares rose 1.59% in morning trade. Here’s what the company reported versus what it had reported a year ago:

• Operating profit: 7.78 trillion Korean won ($6.7 billion) vs. 17.57 trillion won a year ago
  • Net profit: 6.29 trillion Korean won vs. 13.15 trillion won a year ago
  • Consolidated sales: 62 trillion Korean won vs. 65.46 trillion won a year ago
  • Basic earnings per share was 899 Korean won compared to 1,909 won from a year ago.

Outlook

For the fourth quarter, Samsung said it expects “demand for components to turn sluggish in general amid weak seasonal effects, while marketing expenses are likely to increase to address year-end smartphone sales.”The tech giant added it expects memory chip demand to rise “slightly quarter-on-quarter on the back of inventory building by customers in response to global macroeconomic uncertainties.Memory components used in smartphones and data centers make up Samsung’s main profit-making business. Mobile displays are predicted to report weaker results next quarter as “demand falls short of initial expectations for certain premium smartphones and costs increase due to lower utilization in some production lines,” Samsung said. Fourth-quarter earnings for the mobile business is set to decrease from the third quarter due to rising marketing costs and a decline in smartphone shipments, the company added.

For 2020, Samsung said it predicted “solid” demand in the memory business but cautioned against lingering uncertainties in the external environment. It also expects growing sales for 5G products and foldable devices next year.

Analysts have said that 5G deployment should help spur the recovery in the semiconductor space starting next year. 5G refers to the fifth generation of high-speed mobile internet that aims to provide faster data speeds and more bandwidth to carry growing levels of web traffic.

Q3 breakdown

Samsung said continued weakness in the memory chip market weighed on stronger smartphone sales and improved utilization in mobile OLED screens in the third quarter. Organic light-emitting diode, or OLED, is a type of screen that provides sharper displays. Its semiconductor business, which includes memory components used in smartphones and computers, posted 3.05 trillion won in quarterly operating profit, down 77% from a year ago. The IT & mobile business posted 2.92 trillion won in profit, up 32% from the same period last year and 87% from the second quarter. Revenue was 29.25 trillion won. Samsung said its mobile earnings for the quarter improved due to “robust shipments of the flagship Galaxy Note 10, a better product mix and higher profitability in the mass-market segment.”

Source:https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/31/samsung-q3-2019-earnings.html

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/samsung-q3-profit-down-53-2019-10-30
Thoughts: My last samsung device was a galaxy S6+ before I went to motorola and then Oneplus. Very certain if they will profit again if they put the headphone jack back on the next note and fold phone. The orders from Nvidia should be helpful too.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

GhY3ctD.jpg.29448db816b35a904fbbb6058d4e53ba.jpg

The article says their mobile business profits are up, it's the semiconductor business that's down. So headphone jack is probably not the cause of this...

25 minutes ago, MichaelWd said:

The article says their mobile business profits are up, it's the semiconductor business that's down. So headphone jack is probably not the cause of this...

Yeah, and hence, consensus seems to be that it's a cyclical thing. Also, Samsung is freaking ENORMOUS. While phones and tablets are important to their bottom line, there's a whoooooole bunch of other stuff going on, much of which is of no particular interest to us tech nerds.

In any case, it doesn't even look like the stock is going to take a beating. (Which I appreciate, since I own some - even if I'm ticked off about their behavior toward my headphone!)

Spoiler

PSU: Cooler Master V1200 Platinum / MB: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming / CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x / RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) / GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 Gaming OC 24GB / OS: Windows 11 / Screen: Samsung CRG9 (5120 x 1440) / Case: DIY Bench built custom into a a cabinet / Case Fans: 4x BeQuiet Magicool 140mm Pure Wings / Rad: Magicool 180 Triple / Pump: Aquastream XT / Res: Aquacomputer aqualis PRO 450ml / CPU Block: EK Supremacy Clear Acetal / GPU Blocks: Bykski N-GV1080TIG1-X with VRAM Cooling via B-3090TC-X Water Block

DRAM market slump

My Current Build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/36jXwh

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO XT | Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X370-F GAMING | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 2x8Gb DDR4 @3000MHz | GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB AORUS XTREME Video Card | Storage: Samsung - 860 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 - Sandisk SSD 240GB - Sandisk SSD 1TB - WD Blue 4TB| PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | Case: Corsair - Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case | System Fans: Corsair - ML120 PRO RGB 47.3 CFM 120mm x 4 & Corsair - ML140 PRO RGB 55.4 CFM 140mm x 2 | Display: Samsung KS9000 |Keyboard: Logitech - G613 | Mouse: Logitech - G703 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

All this really means is that the memory market is saturated for now. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 hours ago, Bravo1cc said:

DRAM market slump

A slump back to what prices were before. They had massive gains for quarter upon quarter when the DRAM market was sky high just a couple years ago. I feel no sympathy

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Less price fixing on the DRAM market is hurting their bottom line, how awful.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

1 hour ago, melete said:

Less price fixing on the DRAM market is hurting their bottom line, how awful.

Don't worry, DDR5 is right around the corner and I'm sure they've got all sorts of fun and interesting strategies prepared to keep supply down and prices up. 

On 10/31/2019 at 7:52 PM, S w a t s o n said:

A slump back to what prices were before. They had massive gains for quarter upon quarter when the DRAM market was sky high just a couple years ago. I feel no sympathy

Trust me i don't either, i paid a fortune for my Ram. It is the reason though and that's how they will spin it to the investors.

My Current Build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/36jXwh

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO XT | Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X370-F GAMING | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 2x8Gb DDR4 @3000MHz | GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB AORUS XTREME Video Card | Storage: Samsung - 860 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 - Sandisk SSD 240GB - Sandisk SSD 1TB - WD Blue 4TB| PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | Case: Corsair - Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case | System Fans: Corsair - ML120 PRO RGB 47.3 CFM 120mm x 4 & Corsair - ML140 PRO RGB 55.4 CFM 140mm x 2 | Display: Samsung KS9000 |Keyboard: Logitech - G613 | Mouse: Logitech - G703 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro