NVIDIA GeForce 3070/3080/3080 Ti (Ampere): RTX Has No Perf Hit & x80 Ti Card 50% Faster in 4K! (Update 6 ~ Specs / Overview / Details)

Cheaper? rip AMD
Significantly better? rip AMD

If either of those are true, rip AMD.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

10 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

Cheaper? rip AMD

14 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

Cheaper? rip AMD

It depends on how NVIDIA is going to position their midrange offerings where most people care about.

Sure people make noise at the high-end, but I don't think that's where the market is.

NVIDIA is not going to make anything cheaper. They were selling RTX cards for 1200€ and they were selling. Unless AMD smacks them in the face out of the blue with RX 5900 XT that beats RTX 2080Ti by 30% or more, I'm not seeing that scenario happening anytime soon.

I just hope the 3080 beats the 2080Ti, costs 600€ and my 1080 won't die until the release.

29 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

NVIDIA is not going to make anything cheaper. They were selling RTX cards for 1200€ and they were selling. Unless AMD smacks them in the face out of the blue with RX 5900 XT that beats RTX 2080Ti by 30% or more, I'm not seeing that scenario happening anytime soon.

Pricing will adjust to performance, with the bias for now that Intel and nvidia can generally charge more for the same performance than AMD due to better market recognition. We're seeing a shift in Intel, but AMD has to provide a competitive flagship GPU if we're going to see any significant downward price movement from nvidia.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, porina said:

Pricing will adjust to performance, with the bias for now that Intel and nvidia can generally charge more for the same performance than AMD due to better market recognition. We're seeing a shift in Intel, but AMD has to provide a competitive flagship GPU if we're going to see any significant downward price movement from nvidia.

Though at the same time, I look at the 1080 Ti and go "buh?"

20 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Ampere is the Volta replacement. It's probably a really good idea to keep that in mind.

With Turing being an offshoot? ?_?

3 minutes ago, thorhammerz said:

With Turing being an offshoot? ?_?

Volta would have been a terrible gaming GPU, as it was a massive die and very little to no gaming Performance uplift over Pascal. So this is the compute-focused architecture from Nvidia. Doesn't mean we won't see the 2000 series get something like 20x5 models in the process. But, the rumor mill has been pretty consistent this isn't Turing's full replacement. This is firstly for Nvidia's Server GPU business.

9 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Volta would have been a terrible gaming GPU, as it was a massive die and very little to no gaming Performance uplift over Pascal. So this is the compute-focused architecture from Nvidia. Doesn't mean we won't see the 2000 series get something like 20x5 models in the process. But, the rumor mill has been pretty consistent this isn't Turing's full replacement. This is firstly for Nvidia's Server GPU business.

Ugh a Turing refresh sounds awful, especially with rumors of PS5 having 5700 XT level performance. No one wants to pay $400 just for console parity.

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Ugh a Turing refresh sounds awful, especially with rumors of PS5 having 5700 XT level performance. No one wants to pay $400 just for console parity.

I don't know if Turing is getting a refresh. It would make a lot of sense to do it and replace the 2000 series while adding the 1700 series or something. Ampere should be on someone's 7nm node, and Nvidia takes a while to jump onto new nodes.

13 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Considering that some of the rumors involve Nvidia partners AIBs, I would say that there's a good chance that it will be both Turing and Volta replacement. Plus Volta was supposed to be both as far I know, it just didn't work out like Nvidia was probably hoping for.

10 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

Considering that some of the rumors involve Nvidia partners AIBs, I would say that there's a good chance that it will be both Turing and Volta replacement. Plus Volta was supposed to be both as far I know, it just didn't work out like Nvidia was probably hoping for.

If we're getting gaming GPUs out of Ampere, I'd expect it'd replace Turing RTX but have little to do with Turing GTX. Those would get a rearranged dies with updated media encoders, but otherwise just be a larger Turing.

literally just recived my 2070 SUPER, should i return it and buy the 3070 when it comes out?

2 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

If you want to gamble on the future, sure.

thx, i guess I'll keep the 2070 super! better be sure than gamble it.

7 minutes ago, CoutoSH said:

thx, i guess I'll keep the 2070 super! better be sure than gamble it.

Worst comes to worse, you can pawn off the 2070 Super to pay for a new card. Especially if you went with a company that has a "warranty stays with the product, not the person" policy like EVGA, which means you could pawn it off for a higher price than normal.

I would take all of this information with a HUGE grain of salt.

I mean there could be some truth in price drops, it just comes down to several things. First how much 7nm increase yields (this alone could be a huge cost cutter). Then you have competition with AMD which could make them try to be more competitive. Then the last big IF is where will intel be with their cards by the end of the year.

I mean this newest card will just be a refresh of sorts. It is just building on the current rtx lineup with a smaller node and potentially higher vram. The rest is the same... so there isn't any big r&d costs. Ray tracing had also been put for a bit now and the competition is bringing to the table to. That was another justification for the cost on the initial RTX launch.

I mean ultimately they should have a decent bit of cost saving this gen they could pass on to customer. It just comes down to if they will. Either way I will probably pickup a 3080ti since even if more expensive it is just a drop in the bucket to what I'll spend on the new pc I will build around it. 4th gen ryzen is coming later this year too it looks like.

3 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

You kinda had to before the 8th gen.

And yet even with the high prices I was still kind of temped to buy a 2060 Super or 2070 Super a week ago back when 1H 2020 looked amazing on PC with Cyberpunk 2077 and Dying Light 2 coming. Now that Cyberpunk is delayed to mid September and Dying Light 2 delayed indefinitely (so probably late 2020) that kind of makes new gpu vs wait for PS5 a pretty obvious choice. ?

Let's skip to the good part.  When can I order my 3080ti and who wants to buy my 2080ti FTW3 Hydro Copper???

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

> Cheaper

Heh good one.

Main stuff idk

Laptop: Macbook Air M1 2020

Desktop/Gaming PC

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x

MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F

RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 16GB DDR4 3200

STORAGE: WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD - WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM

GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC

PSU: Corsair TXM Gold 550W 80+

Other Stuff

VR Headset: Valve Index

Consoles: Nintendo Switch - Xbox Series X

Its very possible this generation can end up the same price or cheaper than the 20x0 series. As IF rumors are true and they moved on to Samsung they wont have a massive market of competition driving up their Dies like with TMSC who markets to a lot of companies and rivals. It also depends on if they are willing to try and be competitive and learn from the mistakes that they made with the 20x0 series launch.

I'm just hopinh this new architecture and such yields good improvement as for now there's just been no reason to upgrade from a 1080 ti in any capacity. RT still in infancy, even as cool as it is, and the very minor performance bump aint worth what they decided to charge. If the performance bump of this Ampere generation is just another small hip bump to the side then i doubt they'll see any real improvement in sales despite them discontinuing the 1080 ti series.