NVIDIA GeForce 3070/3080/3080 Ti (Ampere): RTX Has No Perf Hit & x80 Ti Card 50% Faster in 4K! (Update 6 ~ Specs / Overview / Details)

Why don't they just call it the RTX 2753 Ti Super X, RTX 2758 Super non-X, and the GTX 1013GT Ti? Their naming scheme seems too complicated being 3070 or whatever? kappakappakappa

CURRENT: intel i9-10900K ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero ROG Strix RTX 3090 32GB 3600MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RM1000i Lian Li O11-Dynamic

OFFICE: intel i5-3570K ASUS Z77 mITX EVGA GTX 970 SC 16GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP Silverstone SFX PSU Fractal Design Node 202

And I remember when 4GB on a GPU was a lot. Shit, my GTX570 has 1250MBs of VRAM.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

1 minute ago, Real_PhillBert said:

And I remember when 4GB on a GPU was a lot. Shit, my GTX570 has 1250MBs of VRAM.

I remember the GTX 970 coming out (doesn't seem 5 minutes ago?!) and there was the whole controversy of it having 3.5GB + 500MB but they had quoted 4GB

CURRENT: intel i9-10900K ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero ROG Strix RTX 3090 32GB 3600MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RM1000i Lian Li O11-Dynamic

OFFICE: intel i5-3570K ASUS Z77 mITX EVGA GTX 970 SC 16GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP Silverstone SFX PSU Fractal Design Node 202

1 minute ago, RhysMusique said:

I remember the GTX 970 coming out (doesn't seem 5 minutes ago?!) and there was the whole controversy of it having 3.5GB + 500MB but they had quoted 4GB

Yup. That was five years ago now!? Jebus, I'm getting old.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

3 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

A final "tapeout" is the final submitted silicon for implementation. They'll now get the first test parts back and work through them. Normally 4-5 months to get the first parts back, if everything is working well enough. Then you have to go through the testing process. How long the Tapeout to Launch takes isn't really predictable. If they have to "respin" a couple of times, it adds months.  We also don't know if Nvidia has all of the dies they're going to launch with complete, as some will come later in the process. 

In theory we could see a late Spring 2020 release for Nvidia, but, as I mentioned, Samsung is still in the Volume Ramp phase on their node. We also have no idea what a HPC GPU will look like on their node. Those clocks are going to matter a lot.

last yr they said mass production here

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13496/samsung-starts-mass-production-of-chips-using-its-7nm-euv-process-tech

and considering other tapeouts to release a yr seems normal but I get what you saying

@Taf the Ghost

part of me think samsung undercut tsmc for nvidias and licensed with amd is because they might possibly have their own gpu plans

lease one ip while making another for low price seems kinda off

maybe i'm just reading between too many lines

On 10/30/2019 at 3:27 PM, Jurrunio said:

let's see if the flagship will break the $2000 price level for the reference model at launch

GPU pricing is so far out of hand it's not even funny. 7 years ago flagships cost $499. Flagship prices are up something stupid like 400% now since the 500 series.

Hell, you could get 2 flagships STUCK TOGETHER for $699! (GTX 590)

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Just now, Vitamanic said:

GPU pricing is so far out of hand it's not even funny. 7 years ago flagships cost $499. Flagship prices are up something stupid like 400% now since the 500 series.

We've seen flagships going for $1000 (inflation adjusted) before. But yeah, it was a fluke before, and now it seems to be a standard

10 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

to be fair old flagships like that can blow up with stock firmware and has poor factory thermals

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

10 hours ago, Xilefian said:

if gta 5 can run on dx9 hardware then idk if the versions really justify whole new numbers yet

I still can't believe a dx9 console with 512mb of uma can run that game. Those people deserve a medal

On 10/30/2019 at 2:31 PM, emosun said:

people are so excited about raytracing and I still don't get why dx10 is better than dx9

There aren't even that many games around with Ray tracing. And sure there "updating" old games with it (or so they say), but I personally feel emmersion from high graphic games with out RT just fine. Despite this.... Imma still probably upgrade my cpu and gpu to this. Unless this launch makes the 2060 cheaper

Just here for some fun.

✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦

PC Build 1: Great Ape (Main Rig) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DJ_saiyanprince/saved/nKjHGX

CPU: Ryzen 3700X

GPU: ASUS GTX 1070Ti 8GB ROG STRIX
PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W

Mobo: MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI

Case: Corsair 4000D

PC Build 2: Piccolo (Emulation/ITX/Transportable) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DJ_saiyanprince/saved/tDBdHx

CPU: Intel i5-11400

GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 3GB SC
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA GM 550 W

Mobo: ASRock Z590M-ITX/ax

Case: Silverstone RVZ03

✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦

♪♫ "2-to the-1-to the-1-to the-3 I like good OC and RGB. Configure so much, you wouldn't believe. And I get more blue screen than a Walmart PC" ♪♫

2 hours ago, pas008 said:

@Taf the Ghost

part of me think samsung undercut tsmc for nvidias and licensed with amd is because they might possibly have their own gpu plans

lease one ip while making another for low price seems kinda off

maybe i'm just reading between too many lines

Samsung is up to something. They licensed a huge chunk of AMD IP and paying are for direct support from AMD. RDNA is pretty cool, but Samsung is definitely up to a lot more.

The move from Nvidia still seems strange. Nvidia may not want to be on the same nodes as AMD, though that was true in the past before the complete move to GloFo by AMD's GPU division. Most likely answer is that Samsung wanted another high-volume producer for their node, to cover costs, which lowers Nvidia's costs. Or there really is something going on with AMD's patents on the newer nodes and licensing issues.

2 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Samsung is up to something. They licensed a huge chunk of AMD IP and paying are for direct support from AMD. RDNA is pretty cool, but Samsung is definitely up to a lot more.

The move from Nvidia still seems strange. Nvidia may not want to be on the same nodes as AMD, though that was true in the past before the complete move to GloFo by AMD's GPU division. Most likely answer is that Samsung wanted another high-volume producer for their node, to cover costs, which lowers Nvidia's costs. Or there really is something going on with AMD's patents on the newer nodes and licensing issues.

Maybe they might do an Intel thing 

Intel had nvidia crosspatent which ran out then licensed amd

Now they releasing gpu lol

Maybe Intel sees that gpus are something bigger in the future besides just gaming

And maybe Samsung sees it too

Considering they can do much more shit now days with gpus and horsepower can be upped by adding another card in those areas

But I'm prolly reading in between the lines too much

Lol

9 hours ago, pas008 said:

Maybe they might do an Intel thing 

Intel had nvidia crosspatent which ran out then licensed amd

Now they releasing gpu lol

Maybe Intel sees that gpus are something bigger in the future besides just gaming

And maybe Samsung sees it too

Considering they can do much more shit now days with gpus and horsepower can be upped by adding another card in those areas

But I'm prolly reading in between the lines too much

Lol

When Samsung licensed RNDA, it wasn't just for patents. They were pretty clear about that.

https://www.amd.com/en/press-releases/2019-06-03-amd-and-samsung-announce-strategic-partnership-ultra-low-power-high

They're going to be using AMD designs in their SoCs and, more than likely, working with AMD on designs as well. This is really Samsung keeping up with Apple, as Apple already has a fully developed CPU and GPU infrastructure & IP. (Apple has been poaching people for the last several years, especially from Intel.)  But, still, Samsung is up to something bigger if they're buying designs from AMD.

That said, the Nvidia move to Samsung's nodes is strange. Nvidia has been with TSMC since the 90s, so the lack of discussion around the move is strange.

I expect the 3080 to be as overpriced expensive as the 2080 & Ti. There is no reason for Nvidia to cut prices when they domimate the high end market. The 3070 might get price cuts depending on what AMD releases.

The pricing of the 3080 TI will depend entirely on the performance of the AMD and Intel competition at that performance tier. nVidia has been able to charge what they are because the GTX 1080 TI and RTX 2080 TI had essentially no competition and were/are the absolute best in class. 

If Big Navi rofl stomps the RTX 2080 TI at $650 then, unless the RTX 3080 TI roflstomps the Big Navi, they'll have to bring the price back down to earth. If. 

As I understand it, the Samsung selection was simply capacity driven. TSMC is making a fton of chips right now and are massively expanding capacity but still can't keep up with demand for Navi, Zen and all of the other mobile chips. So it's a business calculation that either TSMC is going to have more gum than they can chew this generation, or they're going to have a bubble burst, and neither are spots you want to be jumping in to unless you've got no choice. 

• 2 weeks later...

Small, but significant update to this story (Geforce RTX 3000 Ampere arriving to Data centers in March and to Consumers June 2020):

NVIDIA is slowly, but steadily preparing the launch of their Ampere generation GPUs; allegedly starting March 2020, the first models will be out for data-centers. Geforce 3000-series for desktop PCs would then appear in June. This is reported by the Chinese website HKEPC, citing Chris Caso, an analyst with Raymond James.

This means around Computex, in June 2020, the first consumer variants with Ampere chips would see the light of day. The launch would involve the high-end cards first and slower models thereafter. Ampere is said to be manufactured at Samsung on 7nm - using its Extreme Ultraviolet (EUV) method 7nm+. In comparison to Turing, the clock rates could be increased by 200 to 300 MHz. 7nm makes transistors smaller, and that allows for more transistors to be placed on a chip. It is expected that Ampere will offer significantly more Raytracing cores than Turing did. 

Source 2: https://www.guru3d.com/news_story/geforce_rtx_3000_ampere_data_center_marchconsumers_june_2020.html

Source 3: https://www.techradar.com/news/nvidia-rtx-3080-graphics-card-could-be-powering-gaming-pcs-in-june-2020

16 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

wait, datacenters? is it for Geforce Now? also what's to happen to the Titan line? o_o

According to the translated article, it seems what they mean, is that perhaps, Tesla parts/products are coming out first (for Data Center). Also, this shouldn't have anything to do with the Titan line.

30 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

wait, datacenters? is it for Geforce Now? also what's to happen to the Titan line? o_o

Maybe the SKUs produced are going for the Data centers first. Also, cloud gaming/computing companies Shadow (for sure) and Stadia (Most likely) are going to use RTX3xxx gpus instead of Titans and Quadros for drivers reasons.

2 hours ago, tankyx said:

Maybe the SKUs produced are going for the Data centers first. Also, cloud gaming/computing companies Shadow (for sure) and Stadia (Most likely) are going to use RTX3xxx gpus instead of Titans and Quadros for drivers reasons.

There's almost no difference between consumer and workstation/datacenter GPUs aside from the drivers and possibly better binning on NVIDIA's end for reliability. So it's very likely going to be a Quadro.

6 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

There's almost no difference between consumer and workstation/datacenter GPUs aside from the drivers and possibly better binning on NVIDIA's end for reliability. So it's very likely going to be a Quadro.

Don’t Quadros also use ECC?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

24 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

The probem is more on drivers support