Hot, Steamy Microtransactions — EA to return to Steam

FezBoy
9 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

So ok Apex Legends on Steam (through Origin). 

Apex will run without Origin IIRC.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Back in the day I was impressed with how seamlessly i could transfer my Mass Effect 1 and 2 keys from steam to Origin.. run the games without steam.

Jedi Fallen Order should sell well on steam.

On 10/30/2019 at 7:56 AM, Ehmc130 said:

I wonder if some developers will delay their Steam release in favor of their own DDS first. Developers are also making users setup accounts and using their bloatware to help mitigate piracy. I understand wanting to protect their work but they'd be better off requiring a Steam account then their own account for purchase verification. 

Big publishers do think that Steam's anti-piracy is not aggressive enough. 

But that's not the whole picture. Developers like EA with Origin, and Ubisoft with Uplay want to make sure that the playerbase creates accounts and gets comfortable with their launchers. Even if the game is purchased through steam. Because they want the freedom to be able to step away from 3rd party digital PC stores at some point in the future and sell directly to the customer. For example Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 PC launched on steam. The franchise became massive and sold massively on steam. Which gave EA the ability to move Mass Effect 3 away from Steam onto Origin.

On 10/30/2019 at 2:13 AM, FezBoy said:

EA's will soon start selling their games on Valve's marketplace Steam, which many people are extremely loyal to and consider to be the best online marketplace.

While linking friends lists is good, I don't think that requiring EA accounts and the Origin launcher is the best idea.  People don't want to have to install another piece of bloatware, especially when this is being marketed as decreasing the bloat.

While I think that reducing exclusivity is definitely a good thing, requiring an EA account and the use of the Origin launcher makes no sense to me, especially for singleplayer, purportedly micro-transaction free games like Jedi: Fallen Order. 

Source: Gizmodo

It's no different with Ubisoft either, you have to have Uplay installed or the games won't run... Firing the game up from steam simply fires up uplay.

As for EA... I wouldn't buy one of their games if my life depended on it... Acquiring it via other means on the other hand... sure.  :P

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.