Nvidia Shield Tablet

Matthew J Johnson

So I just bought a used Nvidia Shield tablet 32gb LTE and I wanted to know if I can play games like war thunder or hl2 WITHOUT Geforce Now or do I need to have it.  If anyone has any crazy ideas or 3rd party programs I can use then please do let me know.  

Edited by Matthew J Johnson
More details

Yeah, you can use GameStream through GeForce experience on your PC. I used it a few times with my Shield Tablet and it worked pretty well but I really only tested out visual novels and only over my network. It does support internet streaming though.

You can also checkout Moonlight which is an open source alternative that is based on GS from what I understand. I've never used it it looks promising.

Finally, you can use Steam Link. It only works with games installed through Steam AFAIK but it will also support streaming over the internet now.

If you are asking for a free alternative that doesn't require a PC or a subscription, then I'm not aware of any solution. 

Enjoy your shield btw. I also bought the 32GB LTE model back when it came out. If you could live with the heft, it was a fantastic tablet. Powerful and great speakers. I loved it. I actually still use it but now I game even less on my tablet than I used to since I don't travel for work anymore so I'm thinking of getting a new tablet that is much thinner and lighter. It's just a shame that you never knew if an update was going to mess up touch screen responsiveness in games.

2 hours ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

Yeah, you can use GameStream through GeForce experience on your PC. I used it a few times with my Shield Tablet and it worked pretty well but I really only tested out visual novels and only over my network. It does support internet streaming though.

You can also checkout Moonlight which is an open source alternative that is based on GS from what I understand. I've never used it it looks promising.

Finally, you can use Steam Link. It only works with games installed through Steam AFAIK but it will also support streaming over the internet now.

If you are asking for a free alternative that doesn't require a PC or a subscription, then I'm not aware of any solution. 

Enjoy your shield btw. I also bought the 32GB LTE model back when it came out. If you could live with the heft, it was a fantastic tablet. Powerful and great speakers. I loved it. I actually still use it but now I game even less on my tablet than I used to since I don't travel for work anymore so I'm thinking of getting a new tablet that is much thinner and lighter. It's just a shame that you never knew if an update was going to mess up touch screen responsiveness in games.

So I can't play/stream war thunder without a pc cuz I bought the tab to replace my old broken laptop 

29 minutes ago, Matthew J Johnson said:

So I can't play/stream war thunder without a pc cuz I bought the tab to replace my old broken laptop 

I don't know much about that specific game but without a proper port or streaming, no.

There was a port to the Shield TV. Some people transferred the APK to their Shield Tablet with mixed results. You could try that.

I think there was a proper Android port planned but it never seemed to materialize. It just landed on the Shield TV from what I can tell. 

EDIT: Btw, I don't even see War Thunder in the list of games on offer through GeForce now...

• 4 months later...
On 10/30/2019 at 9:19 AM, Kawaii Koneko said:

Wonderful explanation Koneko, Ive had an Nvidia shield portable for about 4 years now and its been a charm if you have a decent pc to stream games with a somewhat simple networking system, It's good.