Apple Blows All Competition With Update to 4S

Urgent update for older iPhones before they lose vital functions

Source: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12280261

It appears Apple pushing update for the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5, making the support for these phones around 8 and 7 years, being released in 2011 and 2012 respectively. But why?

iPhone users still clinging to their seven-year-old iPhone 5 or eight-year-old iPhone 4S models need to update to the latest software this week, or risk losing access to GPS, email, iCloud, the App Store and other web services.

The flaw is caused by a strange tech phenomenon called GPS Rollover, which happens approximately once every 20 years.

The issue is caused by the way GPS technology keeps track of time.

Thats interesting, I wonder if Android devices need an update too? (Theres a joke there somewhere with Android and Updates). So why is this update necessary and how does GPS Technology keep track of time?

The system counts weeks using binary digits, which means it can only count up to a maximum of 1024 weeks.

This means every 1024 weeks, or around 19.7 years, the counter rolls over, which can cause problems for programs and devices that rely on GPS for the correct date and time but haven't been coded correctly to account for the rollover.

They could be fooled into displaying a date from 20 or 40 years ago, or just stop working all together.

Thats quite interesting, however it should be noted that the 5 will need to update to iOS 10.3.4, and the 4S to iOS 9.3.6. So great that these are still supported, great for budged-minded people holding on to still-capable (not really) iPhones. 

However older iPhones will not be updated, and iPad models with cellular connectivity up to the 4th generation, will also be depreciated. Which is fair enough as they are just hard to use now. So - as a reminder:

Affected Apple devices will rollover shortly before midnight on Sunday, November 3 and need to be updated before then to avoid a time-consuming back up and restoration process using a separate computer.

Make sure to update, there is probably an update for all Apple iDevices for this fix too.

My Opinion:

- Great work.  I'm sure these phones are probably hand-me-down to kids, and for people who bought them not too long ago on a budget. Excellent news that they are still able to be used to their full functionality after so long. 

- I wonder if Android devices will be issuing a similar fix for phones that are older, maybe not 8 years but you know.

This is funny because the iphone 4 and 5 were probably the last of the apple devices that could actually be used for this many years without issue.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

My uncle had a 4S that could barely function

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 hours ago, Juular said:

What GPS rollover has to do with losing access to anything besides GPS ?

My guess is because they say it will go to a random time 20 or 40 years ago if you do miss the update, certificates will be seen as expired or invalid because the time of the phone does not match the time window when the certificate is valid.

It's very likely the app store, icloud and whatever use certificates to allow an encrypted connection, if the certificate is invalid, you can't connect because you can't set up a secure connection so it stops working.

If you want to see it for yourself, put your clock a few years ahead or behind and visit an https website, it won't work anymore. Can be done on a PC btw. (basically every device that allows you to manually change the time and has a modern web browser)

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

An update is not special. Like, other companies will do one off limited "bug updates" or software updates that filter down (if seperate app etc). Is this only the GPS? In which case, yeah... :/

(IIRC my Note 3 got an actual software update in 2018, and was getting security certificates update up till I passed it on in march 2019... https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-note-3-lte/firmware/SM-N9005/BTU/ )

Yes this is good. But stop with the silliness. :P

Though no excuse for companies that do a phone/laptop etc and drop support updates after 1 or 2 years (smart TVs are the worst example!!!).

Oh, lol. I guess I'll be doing a lot of iMeme Support this week then...

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Once devices stop getting the latest major version updates, Apple seems to stop patching security issues and restricts updates to critical bug fixes like this. It is better than nothing, but it is not quite far enough to ensure the devices’ longevity. Anyone concerned about security will probably still need to go with newer phones when the security updates stop.

3 hours ago, floofer said:

The system counts weeks using binary digits, which means it can only count up to a maximum of 1024 weeks.

Have we learnt nothing from Y2K? Just use a 64bit unsigned integer and be done with it ffs

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

This is funny because the iphone 4 and 5 were probably the last of the apple devices that could actually be used for this many years without issue.

I have a 4s a friend gave me and the battery is dead.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

1 minute ago, ryao said:

without issue.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

13 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Have we learnt nothing from Y2K? Just use a 64bit unsigned integer and be done with it ffs

And that's common with all batteries. Its only an issue if the battery isn't replaceable.

As for the rather weired limit, well GPS is extremely old.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

My 6s Plus is still functioning like a new phone. Only downside is the camera is dated compared to modern phones, but it's fine for me. If they're not dropped, phones can last a long time, especially with Apple seeming to actually care about older devices 

That's an F in the profile pic

fwiw, my 5s also had an update to 12.4.2 tis weekend (or at least I upped it...it won't go to 13)

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

22 minutes ago, ryao said:

I wonder why iOS devices are only being affected now. Maybe they programmed it to start counting at a number other than zero.

from the OP article:

The rollover began happening for some systems in April this year, when widely used GPS components from US conglomerate Honeywell rolled over, leading to the temporary grounding of Bureau of Meteorology weather balloons and some Boeing aeroplanes.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

2 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

from the OP article:

The rollover began happening for some systems in April this year, when widely used GPS components from US conglomerate Honeywell rolled over, leading to the temporary grounding of Bureau of Meteorology weather balloons and some Boeing aeroplanes.

The numbers being broadcast already rolled over though. iOS must have some offset below which the numbers are regarded to be from the next period. That is the only way it being affected now makes sense.

Just now, ryao said:

The numbers being broadcast already rolled over though. iOS must have some offset below which the numbers are regarded to be from the next period. That is the only way it being affected now makes sense.

I took the mention of "some systems" to mean it;s not universal at one time....which doesn't make sense now tat i type it out.... guess some implementations use an offset or such as you suppose.

52 minutes ago, Sauron said:

The system was designed before Y2K during the Cold War. The designers might have expected doomsday to come before the first 1024 week mark elapsed. It is not that easy to change something like this given all of the things depending on it. It seems that the first time it happened, nobody really seemed to care as far as I can tell. They only seem to care now with the second time because various devices that depend on accurate time get their time information from GPS.

Interestingly, iOS devices use aGPS, which uses cellular towers to do triangulation. The designers probably could have fixed the timestamp, but they did not.

The iPhone ought to talk to internet time servers like other Apple devices when internet connectivity is available (otherwise those without cellular connections would not have accurate time). Hopefully this issue only affects the devices that can only access aGPS for time.

3 hours ago, samcool55 said:

My guess is because they say it will go to a random time 20 or 40 years ago if you do miss the update, certificates will be seen as expired or invalid because the time of the phone does not match the time window when the certificate is valid.

It's very likely the app store, icloud and whatever use certificates to allow an encrypted connection, if the certificate is invalid, you can't connect because you can't set up a secure connection so it stops working.

If you want to see it for yourself, put your clock a few years ahead or behind and visit an https website, it won't work anymore. Can be done on a PC btw. (basically every device that allows you to manually change the time and has a modern web browser)

Not random, it'll start over Aug 22, 1999 while it's Apr 7 2019 in fact, it'll affect only GPS since this information is broadcasted by GPS satellites and phone need to know how to interpret it. It's nothing to do with phone's own time counting system, so it doesn't affect certificates either. Looks like they're forcing to update everyone with older software under disguise of losing access to everything while in fact it's just GPS and nothing else. And there's question why they're talking about this just now while it has occurred more than half a year ago.

Edit: I might be not aware of some other relation between the date GPS transmits and phone's own time counting system tho.

Edit: Maybe these older phones use GPS as main time synchronization system instead of internet time services ? Or in case they contradict each other they use GPS as seemingly more accurate.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

1 hour ago, ryao said:

The battery is a wearable component. Replacing it is not much different than replacing the tires on a car when they need to be replaced. I would not call that an issue.

What would you call an issue in this context? Cracked screens and dead batteries are the most common reasons phones stop working, I've never come across a device that had its logic board die spontaneously unless it had suffered liquid damage in the past (which would also kill a 4s). If batteries and screens don't count because they can be replaced then I could say that almost all devices can last "for this many years without issues".

1 hour ago, ryao said:

The system was designed before Y2K during the Cold War. The designers might have expected doomsday to come before the first 1024 week mark elapsed. It is not that easy to change something like this given all of the things depending on it.

Even if you can't change the standard (I doubt that's the case for an internal timer) you can easily implement a system that can tell when the rollover is going to happen and fix the problem automatically.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Yay. So if people don't update (rather quickly as well) to fix an issue that is literally only about GPS, their entire device risks becoming a paperweight? Loss of app store and web connectivity?

Please remind me to thank apple for their generosity.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, ryao said:

Seems exactly 6 months? So might have "+ 6 months" somewhere in code? As it's a clock rollover, it's not a problem until the clock goes "I'm full, stop" ;)

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

You just couldn't help yourself, could you? Any positive Apple news (however small it may be) you have to say something with no base or evidence whatsoever to colour the opinion of people who aren't as well informed as you and I.

Phones from back in the day used to last about 2-3 years max. Phones these days, especially iPhones can easily last about 4-5 years. I have experience in my own household. iPhone 3GS, had to upgrade to 4S, then 6S, and 6S is still going pretty good with 4S being the secondary phone whenever we need it while travelling. That's an increase of 2 years, to 4 years, to 4 years+ as of this September.

And even the battery health hasn't gone below 80% because there was a free battery replacement program by Apple for the 6S 2 years ago.