Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
James Day

One game to have

3 hours ago, James Day said:

yea i played around 100 hours on league but i found dota 2 to be more intricate and open with the choices of heroes and requires (to me) more skill to be good at ie: being able to kill your own creep to deny exp and gold from opponent, it has multiple objectives on the map other than just the towers such as shrines and roshan, and the items that you choose are also far more important on dota than it is on league (again personal opinion) as a lot of them are active items and can drastically tip the momentum of the game. so yea, this is why i chose dota 2 over league. oh and also all heroes are unlocked from start so it is much easier to get used to what your opponents heroes do as you can practice with all heroes

I see. Very informative. After reading all that, and recommending "good graphics arts" games, I think you might like games like Divinity Original Sin 2, possibly Pillars of Eternity I or II. As for third person games, gotta give The Witcher III a go as a given. Maybe Monster Hunter World or Skyrim if you've never tried them as well. Always remember to buy games when they're on sale as there's no reason to ever pay full price.

 

It's tough to know exactly what you'll enjoy the most based off the few things mentioned but I gotta recommend trying more than just one game and give random genres a go. Here's 10 completely random games I became addicted to very quickly upon first playing them...

  • 7 Days To Die
  • Craft The World
  • Cuphead
  • Dark Souls(any of them, pick one and off you go)
  • Deaths Gambit
  • Demolish & Build Company(random, but fun)
  • FTL(this might be for you, not sure, it's... intricate)
  • Subnautica
  • Viscera Cleanup Detail
  • Volgarr The Viking(tough as can be)

I play hundreds of games so it's very tough to recommend all of them.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi guys, I am building my first pc, and is thinking of a game to go along with it. I used to have a mac so all i really played was dota 2, and have no experience with games other than watching it on twitch and youtube. I want something with good graphics art, and isnt pay to win. what is your single game of choice and why? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey what kind of computer are you having? can you list it's specs?

 

So you want a single player game with plenty of eye candy... any preference with genre? first or third person?


Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0ghz  |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Dark Rock 4 |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3333mhz CL15 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 80Plus Platinum  |~| Boot: Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Acer Predator X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
 
Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900 @4.75ghz |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Shadow Rock Slim |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z390M Gaming mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3400mhzCL15 Viper Steel |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition RTX 2080 Ti |~| PSU: beQuiet! Straight Power 11 80Plus Gold  |~|  Boot:  Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2x2TB SanDisk SSD Ultra 3D |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Viotek GN34CB 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.


HTPC / "Console of the house":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just started Outer Worlds yesterday and have already sunk more hours than I'd like to admit into it.

 

It's amazing, looks great and has some pretty funny dialogue. It's on Gamepass if you wanted to try it


𝓗𝓲 𝓱𝓸𝔀 𝓪𝓻𝓮 𝔂a

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really have a single game of choice.

Of course I can judge the games I have played the most, which would be:

- Skyrim (Special Edition)
- Dirt 3 (not available on Steam anymore)

- Sonic Generations

 

The latter two only being interesting if you have a controller.

What kind of game you should get is really up to your personal preference. Personally I prefer singleplayer games, but maybe you would rather have multiplayer? Shooter? Fighter? Platformer?


"those times will never come back :("

"The greatest part of the brain is memory, the worst thing that comes from memory is nostalgia. We remember but we can never go back!"

 

"There's no such thing as perfect. You're beautiful as you are Courage. With all your imperfections you can do anything." - Bathtub Barracuda

"Wish i could find a way to stop the pain.         -         Besides the one that i keep thinking of."

My gear:                    

Spoiler

PC:

The brains: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 ||

The torso: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon ||

Short term memory: 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz ||

Pixel pusher: EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Gaming || 

Where I store memes: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB || 

Un-heater: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 ||

Carboard box: Thermaltake Core G21 TG ||

Power squid: Corsair RM750x ||

 

Peripherals:

Sound helmet: Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 Ohm ||

Clickity-clack (sadly not clicky :() : Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB ||

Return the (drawing) slab! : Wacom Intuos Pen Small (2015) ||

Rodent: Asus ROG Gladius ||

Cloth for rodent: CM Storm Swift-RX XXL ||

 

Old PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 255 || Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO || RAM: 4x2GB DDR3 || GPU: Nvidia Quadro 512MB || Case: Antec Sonata III || PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W Bronze

Setup: Current setup

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

Hey what kind of computer are you having? can you list it's specs?

 

So you want a single player game with plenty of eye candy... any preference with genre? first or third person?

I have Ryzen 5 3600, 16gb ram, 1080p monitor, rx 5700xt gpu, and id prefer third person 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, James Day said:

I have Ryzen 5 3600, 16gb ram, 1080p monitor, rx 5700xt gpu, and id prefer third person 

There's lot of great games to try out...

 

Hitman 2

Splinter Cell  Black List

The Witcher 3

Nier:Automata

GTA V

Assassin's Creed (any)

Just Cause 3 or 4

 

It depends what you're after really... genres varies plenty but all good games.


Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0ghz  |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Dark Rock 4 |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3333mhz CL15 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 80Plus Platinum  |~| Boot: Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Acer Predator X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
 
Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900 @4.75ghz |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Shadow Rock Slim |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z390M Gaming mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3400mhzCL15 Viper Steel |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition RTX 2080 Ti |~| PSU: beQuiet! Straight Power 11 80Plus Gold  |~|  Boot:  Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2x2TB SanDisk SSD Ultra 3D |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Viotek GN34CB 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.


HTPC / "Console of the house":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want single player 3rd person, the Just cause games are pretty fun. The premise of the game is randomly blowing stuff up while zip lining and parachuting all over the place. They're often heavily discounted since they're a bit on the older side.

 

Though, these days I'm finding less and less time to game, so I only really play Insurgency Sandstorm and War Thunder. Insurgency is quick and easy to pick up if you've played FPS games at all, and is a good blend of arcade with some simulation elements, so you can feel like you're playing a much more complex FPS than you're actually playing.

 

War Thunder is a F2P tank/aircraft/boats/heli combat thingy that I've been playing since 2013 and I've already dropped big bux on it, so fuck, I'll play it until they stop updating it (which is probably in a pretty long time since the core player base seems to be relatively mature and people easily spend £50 on a virtual aircraft/plane/boat every month). They have 1000s of combat vehicles from the 1930s to the modern day in the game, which is pretty cool. The game looked pretty stunning back in 2013, and it hasn't aged too badly, but it's not the best in terms of graphics anymore. But this game is pretty heavily skill and meta based, so new players will have a hard time unless you really love these historical vehicles, and you have an interest in and are willing to learn advanced flying, tanking, sailing and driving tactics (which will differ depending on the particular update of the game, the game mode, map, and what particular vehicle you're using). I was actually at one point in the top 3% of players, I think a couple years ago, which makes War Thunder the only thing in life I don't completely suck at, which I must admit makes it more personally appealing as a game. Though the reason I mentioned WT at all, is that it's a mostly 3rd person F2P game that isn't (that) pay to win, is being regularly updated with new content (more or less monthly), is more or less unique in what it offers, and has a decent community with good people spread around US, European, and Russian servers (We don't talk about the AUS/SEA and China server, we pretend they don't exist).


REMILIA Mk.IIIB: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240, RAM: 4 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: PowerColor RX5700 Dual 8G & Gigabyte GTX 950 2GB G1 Gaming, Storage: 512gb Silicon Power A80 NVME SSD, 512gb Kingspec "Halloween 2019 Special Edition" meme SSD, 512gb Hectron SSD, 6 hard drives of varying brand and age, PSU: Aerocool Project 7 P750, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons), Monitors: Samsung C27FG70 (144hz Quantum dot, Freesync, pneumatic stand), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands), Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220, Sabaj D3 DAC/AMP, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Creative Sound Blaster X G1, Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset), Takstar Pro82, a literal pile of chi-fi IEMs, Anker Soundcore Pro+, Mouse: Razer Basilisk, Keyboard: Ajazz AK60

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, ibabyslapper said:

If you want single player 3rd person, the Just cause games are pretty fun. The premise of the game is randomly blowing stuff up while zip lining and parachuting all over the place. They're often heavily discounted since they're a bit on the older side.

 

Though, these days I'm finding less and less time to game, so I only really play Insurgency Sandstorm and War Thunder. Insurgency is quick and easy to pick up if you've played FPS games at all, and is a good blend of arcade with some simulation elements, so you can feel like you're playing a much more complex FPS than you're actually playing.

 

War Thunder is a F2P tank/aircraft/boats/heli combat thingy that I've been playing since 2013 and I've already dropped big bux on it, so fuck, I'll play it until they stop updating it (which is probably in a pretty long time since the core player base seems to be relatively mature and people easily spend £50 on a virtual aircraft/plane/boat every month). They have 1000s of combat vehicles from the 1930s to the modern day in the game, which is pretty cool. The game looked pretty stunning back in 2013, and it hasn't aged too badly, but it's not the best in terms of graphics anymore. But this game is pretty heavily skill and meta based, so new players will have a hard time unless you really love these historical vehicles, and you have an interest in and are willing to learn advanced flying, tanking, sailing and driving tactics (which will differ depending on the particular update of the game, the game mode, map, and what particular vehicle you're using). I was actually at one point in the top 3% of players, I think a couple years ago, which makes War Thunder the only thing in life I don't completely suck at, which I must admit makes it more personally appealing as a game. Though the reason I mentioned WT at all, is that it's a mostly 3rd person F2P game that isn't (that) pay to win, is being regularly updated with new content (more or less monthly), is more or less unique in what it offers, and has a decent community with good people spread around US, European, and Russian servers (We don't talk about the AUS/SEA and China server, we pretend they don't exist).

what sort of pvp modes does war thunder have ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, James Day said:

all i really played was dota 2, and have no experience with games other than watching it on twitch and youtube. I want something with good graphics art, and isnt pay to win. what is your single game of choice and why?

League of Legends because of your experience with DOTA 2 and no experience with other games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, James Day said:

played dota 2 cus i didnt want to play league lol 

But did you actually play League? I chose to play League and people tell me to play DOTA 2 all the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Intransigent said:

But did you actually play League? I chose to play League and people tell me to play DOTA 2 all the time.

yea i played around 100 hours on league but i found dota 2 to be more intricate and open with the choices of heroes and requires (to me) more skill to be good at ie: being able to kill your own creep to deny exp and gold from opponent, it has multiple objectives on the map other than just the towers such as shrines and roshan, and the items that you choose are also far more important on dota than it is on league (again personal opinion) as a lot of them are active items and can drastically tip the momentum of the game. so yea, this is why i chose dota 2 over league. oh and also all heroes are unlocked from start so it is much easier to get used to what your opponents heroes do as you can practice with all heroes

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Best Answer
3 hours ago, James Day said:

yea i played around 100 hours on league but i found dota 2 to be more intricate and open with the choices of heroes and requires (to me) more skill to be good at ie: being able to kill your own creep to deny exp and gold from opponent, it has multiple objectives on the map other than just the towers such as shrines and roshan, and the items that you choose are also far more important on dota than it is on league (again personal opinion) as a lot of them are active items and can drastically tip the momentum of the game. so yea, this is why i chose dota 2 over league. oh and also all heroes are unlocked from start so it is much easier to get used to what your opponents heroes do as you can practice with all heroes

I see. Very informative. After reading all that, and recommending "good graphics arts" games, I think you might like games like Divinity Original Sin 2, possibly Pillars of Eternity I or II. As for third person games, gotta give The Witcher III a go as a given. Maybe Monster Hunter World or Skyrim if you've never tried them as well. Always remember to buy games when they're on sale as there's no reason to ever pay full price.

 

It's tough to know exactly what you'll enjoy the most based off the few things mentioned but I gotta recommend trying more than just one game and give random genres a go. Here's 10 completely random games I became addicted to very quickly upon first playing them...

  • 7 Days To Die
  • Craft The World
  • Cuphead
  • Dark Souls(any of them, pick one and off you go)
  • Deaths Gambit
  • Demolish & Build Company(random, but fun)
  • FTL(this might be for you, not sure, it's... intricate)
  • Subnautica
  • Viscera Cleanup Detail
  • Volgarr The Viking(tough as can be)

I play hundreds of games so it's very tough to recommend all of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, James Day said:

Hi guys, I am building my first pc, and is thinking of a game to go along with it. I used to have a mac so all i really played was dota 2, and have no experience with games other than watching it on twitch and youtube. I want something with good graphics art, and isnt pay to win. what is your single game of choice and why? 

Red Dead Redemption 2 when it releases in PC(Nov. 5th.) or GTA V single player 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't played any of those (yet) but based on your posts I think those might be good choices:

Witcher 3

Divinity 2

GTA V

 

When watching Twitch, what games were you most into?

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, PurplDrank said:

what sort of pvp modes does war thunder have ?

PvP in War Thunder is available in three difficulty levels and four game modes.

Difficulty levels are: Arcade, realistic and simulator. Most people on EU/RU/US play realistic.

Game modes are: Air (aircraft only), Ground (Tanks, Aircraft, Helicopters), Naval (Boats, Aircraft), and Helicopters only.

I spend most of my time on realistic ground, mostly to bomb tanks.


REMILIA Mk.IIIB: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240, RAM: 4 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: PowerColor RX5700 Dual 8G & Gigabyte GTX 950 2GB G1 Gaming, Storage: 512gb Silicon Power A80 NVME SSD, 512gb Kingspec "Halloween 2019 Special Edition" meme SSD, 512gb Hectron SSD, 6 hard drives of varying brand and age, PSU: Aerocool Project 7 P750, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons), Monitors: Samsung C27FG70 (144hz Quantum dot, Freesync, pneumatic stand), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands), Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220, Sabaj D3 DAC/AMP, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Creative Sound Blaster X G1, Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset), Takstar Pro82, a literal pile of chi-fi IEMs, Anker Soundcore Pro+, Mouse: Razer Basilisk, Keyboard: Ajazz AK60

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ibabyslapper said:

PvP in War Thunder is available in three difficulty levels and four game modes.

Difficulty levels are: Arcade, realistic and simulator. Most people on EU/RU/US play realistic.

Game modes are: Air (aircraft only), Ground (Tanks, Aircraft, Helicopters), Naval (Boats, Aircraft), and Helicopters only.

I spend most of my time on realistic ground, mostly to bomb tanks.

are they conquest objective modes, one life tdm modes? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, PurplDrank said:

are they conquest objective modes, one life tdm modes? 

In arcade, I think you can spawn 3 times within your lineup of vehicles, while in Realistic you need to earn points by doing stuff to spawn in vehicles after you die in your first, though they increased the amount of spawn points you start off with to make matches longer in a recent update. I'm not sure about one life modes, I know that in air realistic you only have one life, I think this is also the case in air Simulator.

In terms of game modes, that's actually one of the main weaknesses of the game, and what the community is pushing the devs to work on next. I don't remember the names of the game modes we have now, so I'll just link you to a page on the War Thunder Wiki.


REMILIA Mk.IIIB: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240, RAM: 4 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: PowerColor RX5700 Dual 8G & Gigabyte GTX 950 2GB G1 Gaming, Storage: 512gb Silicon Power A80 NVME SSD, 512gb Kingspec "Halloween 2019 Special Edition" meme SSD, 512gb Hectron SSD, 6 hard drives of varying brand and age, PSU: Aerocool Project 7 P750, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons), Monitors: Samsung C27FG70 (144hz Quantum dot, Freesync, pneumatic stand), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands), Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220, Sabaj D3 DAC/AMP, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Creative Sound Blaster X G1, Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset), Takstar Pro82, a literal pile of chi-fi IEMs, Anker Soundcore Pro+, Mouse: Razer Basilisk, Keyboard: Ajazz AK60

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×