One game to have

James Day
Go to solution Solved by Paul Rudd,
3 hours ago, James Day said:

yea i played around 100 hours on league but i found dota 2 to be more intricate and open with the choices of heroes and requires (to me) more skill to be good at ie: being able to kill your own creep to deny exp and gold from opponent, it has multiple objectives on the map other than just the towers such as shrines and roshan, and the items that you choose are also far more important on dota than it is on league (again personal opinion) as a lot of them are active items and can drastically tip the momentum of the game. so yea, this is why i chose dota 2 over league. oh and also all heroes are unlocked from start so it is much easier to get used to what your opponents heroes do as you can practice with all heroes

I see. Very informative. After reading all that, and recommending "good graphics arts" games, I think you might like games like Divinity Original Sin 2, possibly Pillars of Eternity I or II. As for third person games, gotta give The Witcher III a go as a given. Maybe Monster Hunter World or Skyrim if you've never tried them as well. Always remember to buy games when they're on sale as there's no reason to ever pay full price.

It's tough to know exactly what you'll enjoy the most based off the few things mentioned but I gotta recommend trying more than just one game and give random genres a go. Here's 10 completely random games I became addicted to very quickly upon first playing them...

• 7 Days To Die
  • Craft The World
  • Cuphead
  • Dark Souls(any of them, pick one and off you go)
  • Deaths Gambit
  • Demolish & Build Company(random, but fun)
  • FTL(this might be for you, not sure, it's... intricate)
  • Subnautica
  • Viscera Cleanup Detail
  • Volgarr The Viking(tough as can be)

I play hundreds of games so it's very tough to recommend all of them.

Hi guys, I am building my first pc, and is thinking of a game to go along with it. I used to have a mac so all i really played was dota 2, and have no experience with games other than watching it on twitch and youtube. I want something with good graphics art, and isnt pay to win. what is your single game of choice and why? 

Hey what kind of computer are you having? can you list it's specs?

So you want a single player game with plenty of eye candy... any preference with genre? first or third person?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I just started Outer Worlds yesterday and have already sunk more hours than I'd like to admit into it.

It's amazing, looks great and has some pretty funny dialogue. It's on Gamepass if you wanted to try it

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

I don't really have a single game of choice.

Of course I can judge the games I have played the most, which would be:

- Skyrim (Special Edition)
- Dirt 3 (not available on Steam anymore)

- Sonic Generations

The latter two only being interesting if you have a controller.

What kind of game you should get is really up to your personal preference. Personally I prefer singleplayer games, but maybe you would rather have multiplayer? Shooter? Fighter? Platformer?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

Hey what kind of computer are you having? can you list it's specs?

So you want a single player game with plenty of eye candy... any preference with genre? first or third person?

I have Ryzen 5 3600, 16gb ram, 1080p monitor, rx 5700xt gpu, and id prefer third person 

Just now, James Day said:

I have Ryzen 5 3600, 16gb ram, 1080p monitor, rx 5700xt gpu, and id prefer third person 

There's lot of great games to try out...

Hitman 2

Splinter Cell  Black List

The Witcher 3

Nier:Automata

GTA V

Assassin's Creed (any)

Just Cause 3 or 4

It depends what you're after really... genres varies plenty but all good games.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

If you want single player 3rd person, the Just cause games are pretty fun. The premise of the game is randomly blowing stuff up while zip lining and parachuting all over the place. They're often heavily discounted since they're a bit on the older side.

Though, these days I'm finding less and less time to game, so I only really play Insurgency Sandstorm and War Thunder. Insurgency is quick and easy to pick up if you've played FPS games at all, and is a good blend of arcade with some simulation elements, so you can feel like you're playing a much more complex FPS than you're actually playing.

War Thunder is a F2P tank/aircraft/boats/heli combat thingy that I've been playing since 2013 and I've already dropped big bux on it, so fuck, I'll play it until they stop updating it (which is probably in a pretty long time since the core player base seems to be relatively mature and people easily spend £50 on a virtual aircraft/plane/boat every month). They have 1000s of combat vehicles from the 1930s to the modern day in the game, which is pretty cool. The game looked pretty stunning back in 2013, and it hasn't aged too badly, but it's not the best in terms of graphics anymore. But this game is pretty heavily skill and meta based, so new players will have a hard time unless you really love these historical vehicles, and you have an interest in and are willing to learn advanced flying, tanking, sailing and driving tactics (which will differ depending on the particular update of the game, the game mode, map, and what particular vehicle you're using). I was actually at one point in the top 3% of players, I think a couple years ago, which makes War Thunder the only thing in life I don't completely suck at, which I must admit makes it more personally appealing as a game. Though the reason I mentioned WT at all, is that it's a mostly 3rd person F2P game that isn't (that) pay to win, is being regularly updated with new content (more or less monthly), is more or less unique in what it offers, and has a decent community with good people spread around US, European, and Russian servers (We don't talk about the AUS/SEA and China server, we pretend they don't exist).

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

29 minutes ago, ibabyslapper said:

If you want single player 3rd person, the Just cause games are pretty fun. The premise of the game is randomly blowing stuff up while zip lining and parachuting all over the place. They're often heavily discounted since they're a bit on the older side.

Though, these days I'm finding less and less time to game, so I only really play Insurgency Sandstorm and War Thunder. Insurgency is quick and easy to pick up if you've played FPS games at all, and is a good blend of arcade with some simulation elements, so you can feel like you're playing a much more complex FPS than you're actually playing.

War Thunder is a F2P tank/aircraft/boats/heli combat thingy that I've been playing since 2013 and I've already dropped big bux on it, so fuck, I'll play it until they stop updating it (which is probably in a pretty long time since the core player base seems to be relatively mature and people easily spend £50 on a virtual aircraft/plane/boat every month). They have 1000s of combat vehicles from the 1930s to the modern day in the game, which is pretty cool. The game looked pretty stunning back in 2013, and it hasn't aged too badly, but it's not the best in terms of graphics anymore. But this game is pretty heavily skill and meta based, so new players will have a hard time unless you really love these historical vehicles, and you have an interest in and are willing to learn advanced flying, tanking, sailing and driving tactics (which will differ depending on the particular update of the game, the game mode, map, and what particular vehicle you're using). I was actually at one point in the top 3% of players, I think a couple years ago, which makes War Thunder the only thing in life I don't completely suck at, which I must admit makes it more personally appealing as a game. Though the reason I mentioned WT at all, is that it's a mostly 3rd person F2P game that isn't (that) pay to win, is being regularly updated with new content (more or less monthly), is more or less unique in what it offers, and has a decent community with good people spread around US, European, and Russian servers (We don't talk about the AUS/SEA and China server, we pretend they don't exist).

what sort of pvp modes does war thunder have ?

1 hour ago, James Day said:

all i really played was dota 2, and have no experience with games other than watching it on twitch and youtube. I want something with good graphics art, and isnt pay to win. what is your single game of choice and why?

League of Legends because of your experience with DOTA 2 and no experience with other games.

Just now, Intransigent said:

League of Legends

played dota 2 cus i didnt want to play league lol 

Just now, James Day said:

played dota 2 cus i didnt want to play league lol 

But did you actually play League? I chose to play League and people tell me to play DOTA 2 all the time.

Just now, Intransigent said:

But did you actually play League? I chose to play League and people tell me to play DOTA 2 all the time.

yea i played around 100 hours on league but i found dota 2 to be more intricate and open with the choices of heroes and requires (to me) more skill to be good at ie: being able to kill your own creep to deny exp and gold from opponent, it has multiple objectives on the map other than just the towers such as shrines and roshan, and the items that you choose are also far more important on dota than it is on league (again personal opinion) as a lot of them are active items and can drastically tip the momentum of the game. so yea, this is why i chose dota 2 over league. oh and also all heroes are unlocked from start so it is much easier to get used to what your opponents heroes do as you can practice with all heroes

3 hours ago, James Day said:

I see. Very informative. After reading all that, and recommending "good graphics arts" games, I think you might like games like Divinity Original Sin 2, possibly Pillars of Eternity I or II. As for third person games, gotta give The Witcher III a go as a given. Maybe Monster Hunter World or Skyrim if you've never tried them as well. Always remember to buy games when they're on sale as there's no reason to ever pay full price.

It's tough to know exactly what you'll enjoy the most based off the few things mentioned but I gotta recommend trying more than just one game and give random genres a go. Here's 10 completely random games I became addicted to very quickly upon first playing them...

• 7 Days To Die
  • Craft The World
  • Cuphead
  • Dark Souls(any of them, pick one and off you go)
  • Deaths Gambit
  • Demolish & Build Company(random, but fun)
  • FTL(this might be for you, not sure, it's... intricate)
  • Subnautica
  • Viscera Cleanup Detail
  • Volgarr The Viking(tough as can be)

I play hundreds of games so it's very tough to recommend all of them.

7 hours ago, James Day said:

Hi guys, I am building my first pc, and is thinking of a game to go along with it. I used to have a mac so all i really played was dota 2, and have no experience with games other than watching it on twitch and youtube. I want something with good graphics art, and isnt pay to win. what is your single game of choice and why? 

Red Dead Redemption 2 when it releases in PC(Nov. 5th.) or GTA V single player 

Haven't played any of those (yet) but based on your posts I think those might be good choices:

Witcher 3

Divinity 2

GTA V

When watching Twitch, what games were you most into?

21 hours ago, PurplDrank said:

what sort of pvp modes does war thunder have ?

PvP in War Thunder is available in three difficulty levels and four game modes.

Difficulty levels are: Arcade, realistic and simulator. Most people on EU/RU/US play realistic.

Game modes are: Air (aircraft only), Ground (Tanks, Aircraft, Helicopters), Naval (Boats, Aircraft), and Helicopters only.

I spend most of my time on realistic ground, mostly to bomb tanks.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

2 hours ago, ibabyslapper said:

PvP in War Thunder is available in three difficulty levels and four game modes.

Difficulty levels are: Arcade, realistic and simulator. Most people on EU/RU/US play realistic.

Game modes are: Air (aircraft only), Ground (Tanks, Aircraft, Helicopters), Naval (Boats, Aircraft), and Helicopters only.

I spend most of my time on realistic ground, mostly to bomb tanks.

are they conquest objective modes, one life tdm modes? 

11 hours ago, PurplDrank said:

are they conquest objective modes, one life tdm modes? 

In arcade, I think you can spawn 3 times within your lineup of vehicles, while in Realistic you need to earn points by doing stuff to spawn in vehicles after you die in your first, though they increased the amount of spawn points you start off with to make matches longer in a recent update. I'm not sure about one life modes, I know that in air realistic you only have one life, I think this is also the case in air Simulator.

In terms of game modes, that's actually one of the main weaknesses of the game, and what the community is pushing the devs to work on next. I don't remember the names of the game modes we have now, so I'll just link you to a page on the War Thunder Wiki.