Police Demand Google Maps Remove New ‘Speed Trap’ Feature

Flying Sausages
5 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Coming off the accelerator is a good thing. I've been in those situations before, you keep your wheel totally straight and come off the gas asap, and do not touch the brakes.

Backing off is fine, completely off is not. It is not recommended to just let off. Most instances last only half a second so it really makes no difference at all but in a more serious situation, which shouldn't happen, active engine drive is important to keeping straight and when traction is restored wheel speed matches forward speed as much as possible otherwise you will spin.

How about "no"? The people should be able to let each other know if there's a speed trap or similar situation in an area. If the police are hurting for tax revenue, let them get it from the rich, restructure themselves for less cost, or ask for donations. We shouldn't be paying these taxes and then get fleeced more by the police force. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

On 10/26/2019 at 5:20 PM, Salv8 (sam) said:

>be you

>be speeding

>another car heads right into you

>can't stop yourself because your going to fast...

> https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=seKAV_1571849886         (18+ video, kids, this isn't your YouTube car crash)

thats the reason why we have speed limits, don't be an idiot and follow your country's laws regarding vehicle operations and usage.

we have it for a fucking reason, yes it's stupid that you may get charged $100 USD (may be different in other places) for going 1 mile over the limit, but that mile can kill.

here in Australia the most popular ad to prevent speeding has a slogan with the text "An extra km can kill... don't speed" cause it may, and can happen!

if you want to drive at 200 miles an hr, go do it on a race track, not the roads, so if you spin out you don't hurt others...

To be a little fair, here in america, the speed limits for most roads has not been updated since the 60s-ish when cars were much less safe and much less nimble. First thing they need to do is re-evaluate the speed limits on most roads, but they wont cuz they'd rather make $$ and hand out tickets. It doesn't have to do with "X" speed will kill you, and "Y" speed will not... A 45mph accident in an average sedan from the 60s is way worse than in a modern car (or even one from the last 20 years). Cars can accelerate, brake, turn, and crash much better then they could 50+years ago, I'm not saying make all speed limits 100+mph. But there are a lot of highways here in the 50-60mph (80-95kmh) that are big 3-4 lane roads with minimal turns or anything that would be perfectly fine with a 70-80mph limit. Hell you can go to jail for driving over 80mph anywhere in the state of Virginia! lol

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

26 minutes ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

To be a little fair, here in america, the speed limits for most roads has not been updated since the 60s-ish when cars were much less safe and much less nimble. First thing they need to do is re-evaluate the speed limits on most roads, but they wont cuz they'd rather make $$ and hand out tickets. It doesn't have to do with "X" speed will kill you, and "Y" speed will not... A 45mph accident in an average sedan from the 60s is way worse than in a modern car (or even one from the last 20 years). Cars can accelerate, brake, turn, and crash much better then they could 50+years ago, I'm not saying make all speed limits 100+mph. But there are a lot of highways here in the 50-60mph (80-95kmh) that are big 3-4 lane roads with minimal turns or anything that would be perfectly fine with a 70-80mph limit. Hell you can go to jail for driving over 80mph anywhere in the state of Virginia! lol

Don't forget actually teaching people how to actually drive and control a vehicle.

Timestamped:

Finland knows how to teach people, we should implement their system.

Instead of letting some 70yr old who can't see past the steering wheel "teach" them, which is what I had. Luckily I had been driving golf carts, go karts, and 4 wheelers (ATV's... or if you're a northerner a "quad", btw you're wrong for calling it that lol) so I pretty much knew how to control a vehicle at high or low speeds on smooth or rough terrain.

I have taken golf carts places people would not think golf carts could go. And I'm talking electric ones, not gas.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

5 hours ago, kpluck said:

Why do you distort what people say?

-kp

..... You said 

Wouldn't having the police officers out and in plain view help that cause?

How could I have interpreted this any different? 

If you meant something different, that's on you for not getting your point across correctly

Unless your upset at my usage of the word "you" in which case I'm not referring to you specifically, more the collective you of people in general. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 minutes ago, Arika S said:

..... You said 

How could I have interpreted this any different? 

If you meant something different, that's on you for not getting your point across correctly

Unless your upset at my usage of the word "you" in which case I'm referring to you specifically, more the collective you of people in general. 

I think you forgot the "not" in that sentence, but regardless whether it was directed at one person or everyone, it is still true.  The absence or visibility of police should not effect how much of the law people obey.  If people need visible police as a determent then they actually deserve to be caught out and punished for that, the police should not have to be present to keep people from doing dumb things.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 10/27/2019 at 5:32 AM, Master Disaster said:

The law is actually pretty clear about this (at least here in Europe). While out in public you are deemed to have given up your expected right to privacy and there is nothing you can do to stop anybody from filming you, taking pictures of you or tracking your location. Obviously there are exceptions but generally theres nothing you can do (and yes that includes the police too).

That's exactly why it is called being out in public.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/national/article9411152.html i guess this judge agrees with you :P

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Backing off is fine, completely off is not. It is not recommended to just let off. Most instances last only half a second so it really makes no difference at all but in a more serious situation, which shouldn't happen, active engine drive is important to keeping straight and when traction is restored wheel speed matches forward speed as much as possible otherwise you will spin.

What you seem to be referring to is a large standing pool of water that comes up a few inches on a car. You are correct when talking about that. What I'm referring to is that one puddle that's a bit much that blends in with the road, a black puddle, if you will.

52 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

That's fucking disgusting.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

8 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

It's literally something can kill you if it's raining or the roads are wet. CC will not disengage when you hydroplane. Also I'm not talking windy as in the wind blows, I'm talking windy (i may be misspelling it) as in the road is twisty and curvy.

CC will disengage when you lightly touch the brake pedal (or you can hit a button on the steering wheel) so your hydroplaning argument is invalid. I use CC all the time, even on city streets, and I'm sure it has saved me from an accidental speeding many times. I haven't encountered hydroplaning in decades since I have the good sense to slow down when conditions can cause it. I also don't drive on worn tires.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

59 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

What you seem to be referring to is a large standing pool of water that comes up a few inches on a car. You are correct when talking about that. What I'm referring to is that one puddle that's a bit much that blends in with the road, a black puddle, if you will.

Is that racist?

16 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

CC will disengage when you lightly touch the brake pedal (or you can hit a button on the steering wheel) so your hydroplaning argument is invalid. I use CC all the time, even on city streets, and I'm sure it has saved me from an accidental speeding many times. I haven't encountered hydroplaning in decades since I have the good sense to slow down when conditions can cause it. I also don't drive on worn tires.

Here in Florida it's the drivers hydroplaning driving normally into as a digitally corrupt mess that you have to watch out for. For some reason everyone speeds in the left lane where all of the water ends up pooling. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

1 hour ago, TempestCatto said:

Yep which are the half second where the event is so quick what you do has almost no impact unless you slam on the brakes or swerve, which is why CC will have zero impact because there isn't a long enough time for it to have any effect.

The reason why it is generally advised to not use CC in wet weather on a surface at risk of hydroplaning actually has to do with improper usage of CC. People tend to set CC to the speed limit (or +5 of it) compared to if you are in control of the accelerator you adjust to the conditions and are driving below the limit, you can set CC to any speed you like and should be setting it to a safe speed according to the conditions, people just don't which is where the CC off recommendation comes from because the higher speed means you're more likely to hydroplane. 

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yep which are the half second where the event is so quick what you do has almost no impact unless you slam on the brakes or swerve, which is why CC will have zero impact because there isn't a long enough time for it to have any effect.

The reason why it is generally advised to not use CC in wet weather on a surface at risk of hydroplaning actually has to do with improper usage of CC. People tend to set CC to the speed limit (or +5 of it) compared to if you are in control of the accelerator you adjust to the conditions and are driving below the limit, you can set CC to any speed you like and should be setting it to a safe speed according to the conditions, people just don't which is where the CC off recommendation comes from because the higher speed means you're more likely to hydroplane. 

CC will also work to keep the proper speed and hydroplaning will force CC to increase power to the tires. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Well this is a simple breakdown:

• Police don't like it as it hinders their ability to write tickets, keep quotas, and add to their municipalities revenue potential. 
  • People like it as it helps to avoid costly tickets and it's something they've been using for some time on Waze (developed by Google) with no catastrophic affects on public safety as the police's poorly contrived argument would have you believe. 
  • If anything this is a win for both sides. People avoid speeding tickets and the speed traps have served their initial purpose of enforcing the speed limit. 
  • Much of the time when you pass a cop posted on your map they aren't even there, either the cop that was posted there has left (or see below).

Theory: This is all just a plan set in motion by law enforcement to promote safe driving. They pretend to be outraged at Google, more people use the feature in protest, they keep the roads safer for everyone.   

I was just reminded of a news item a few years ago when the Flagstaff, PD parked an unmanned cruiser on the side of a highway coming into town to act as a deterrent to speeders. During the day, someone slimjimmed the door of the cruiser and put a box of donuts on the passenger side front seat. 

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

On 10/26/2019 at 2:36 PM, OlympicAssEater said:

I am dead serious don't like the police officer. Every time a police car gets behind, I get nervous like the police officer waiting to pull the siren when I speeding 5mph over the speed limit.

We had something hilarious happen to us in New York recently, we noticed a cop was behind us so we slowed down a bit (~70 in a 65mph area) and the cop just rode our bumper for like a mile and a half. After that we noticed it was a construction zone coming up where the speed limit went down to 45, so once it started we slowed down to EXACTLY 45mph, after about 20 seconds of that the cop gave up and flashed his lights and siren at us to get us to move out of the way... (and he gave us this look like WE did something wrong too), like wtf...

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

As far as I'm aware, the police in Ireland actually have a site to show where all the speed Van's are. They actually WANT people to know :P. Different strokes I guess....

On 10/29/2019 at 12:33 AM, ARikozuM said:

CC will also work to keep the proper speed and hydroplaning will force CC to increase power to the tires. 

No it wont, CC measures speed at the same place as the instruments. One of the ABS sensors in most cases(or all of them, who knows)

On 10/28/2019 at 10:51 AM, Lowbuget said:

"If you  want to stop racism then stop talking about it." that is  what i just got to say in this topic.P.s i hope i did not  offend anyone : D 

This is... I don't even know what this is. This might be something easy for a random white person to say living in rural America, but it's absolutely ignorant to reality.

Ignoring the ingrained racism in this country is what has enabled it to continue to this day. 

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

On 10/26/2019 at 12:37 PM, wANKER said:

Okay, someone help me here. 

Speed traps are meant to deter people from speeding, therefore increasing the safety of the roads. Yes? 

So, If i know where a speed trap is, I'm going to slow down anyway..... 

Personally, I would admit to technically 'speeding' 70% of the time. 

Because if i don't, I have some total cunt right up my arse. 

And having been rear ended on a bike, it ain't fun 

The provincial government in Alberta (located in Canada) deemed that speed traps don't actually improve road safety and are a profit driven system. They gave police and municipalities a year to produce new evidence that support the safety aspect of them. Which means they have a year to try to come up with a lie.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

2 minutes ago, trag1c said:

profit

No shit its for profit. Our city is in a finacial mess, but the police keep the money pouring in to help. LOL. Hell back a few years ago the city used to pull about $100k USD in ticket revenue in 6 months with one of its speed traps. Which was directed at the Airports customers. Cause DUMB ass tourists cant read the damn speed limit signs. It got so bad the Airport Police would sit behind the Romulus police cars with their lights on. To let people know it was a cop. Mind you our cops drive dodge chargers that are only marked on the passenger side. State law says Traffic cops have to be in a makred car, so they bull shit their way arond the law. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

No shit its for profit. Our city is in a finacial mess, but the police keep the money pouring in to help. LOL. Hell back a few years ago the city used to pull about $100k USD in ticket revenue in 6 months with one of its speed traps. Which was directed at the Airports customers. Cause DUMB ass tourists cant read the damn speed limit signs. It got so bad the Airport Police would sit behind the Romulus police cars with their lights on. To let people know it was a cop. Mind you our cops drive dodge chargers that are only marked on the passenger side. State law says Traffic cops have to be in a makred car, so they bull shit their way arond the law. 

speed trap towns are common here in Louisiana too. have to be careful in some places.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

On 10/26/2019 at 1:36 PM, OlympicAssEater said:

I am dead serious don't like the police officer. Every time a police car gets behind, I get nervous like the police officer waiting to pull the siren when I speeding 5mph over the speed limit.

This is common.  It’s so common it’s part of the reason that police wear such visible uniforms and drive such visible cars.  It’s one more tool to be able to calm a situation without problems.

I suspect the speed trap app may actually turn into one of those tools.  This whole concept has been tried before with more primitive tech, and the police solution has already been found:  use the app to set fake speed traps.  The purpose of a speed trap is not to collect revenue. (Well, it’s not supposed to be, and isn’t over 90% of the time) it’s to reduce accidents and keep people alive by getting them to follow driving laws.  They’re expensive to run though and cops don’t like doing them.  There are more serious issues they could be spending time fixing generally.  A fake speed trap that exists only on the app would work like magic and require no officer present.  It’s worked before.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

12 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

speed trap towns are common here in Louisiana too. have to be careful in some places.

I support something like this when such things are being abused.  Abuse is a rare rare thing, though it does exist.  Weighing pros and cons becomes the question then.  It occasionally does good, but also is capable of doing harm.  Is it a net positive or negative?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.