Alternative to Discord?

Just looking for an alternate way to communicate with my friends. Text chat and voice chat.

Discord was great, back in beta... Now, just unable to use it pretty much, unless you have nitro. Apparently if you don't have nitro it will cut you off for a long ass time, which means whatever you say won't get across. I wouldn't believe such things if it wasn't such an obvious pain of asking your friend to repeat himself 5 times and hoping that one of those times he will be able to complete his sentence. Or your friend not hearing you at all. Also I don't fancy anything, but the voice and chat feature.

Currently found something called Overtone, it works... But something about that thing, that annoys me, but for now it will do as a voice chat, as it works great!

Just want to know if anyone knows other voice apps? You know ones that aren't from 10 years ago, because everyone hisses in those and sound horrible. Nostalgic, but not a great experience.

1 minute ago, WildStyle* said:

Now, just unable to use it pretty much, unless you have nitro. Apparently if you don't have nitro it will cut you off for a long ass time, which means whatever you say won't get across. I wouldn't believe such things if it wasn't such an obvious pain of asking your friend to repeat himself 5 times and hoping that one of those times he will be able to complete his sentence. Or your friend not hearing you at all. Also I don't fancy anything, but the voice and chat feature.

I have no issues at all with Discord and I don't pay for Nitro. Are you sure evreything is configured properly on you and your friends pc?

Other than that you can try good ol' skype or even steam chat

My life

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

I have no issues at all with Discord and I don't pay for Nitro. Are you sure evreything is configured properly on you and your friends pc?

Other than that you can try good ol' skype or even steam chat

I'm into audio, so it is really hard for me to fuck up, even if you use push to talk, discord just decides that nope you will be cut off here. It has been happening to my friend for a long time and he has tried every setting under the sun. I was fine until recently where my friend started to have the same issue with me. And Overtone worked fine, just adjusted some volume sliders here and there, end of story.

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

Hangouts, Skype, Slack?

Hangouts are pretty bad, Skype is a wind tunnel simulation, slack is freemium, so I am not entirely sure about that one at the moment.

sharing the discord pain here.. my discord "server" is actually forced to east-EU region to work around performance issues.

past that, i actually got back into teamspeak, and even gone as far to configure a 3CX server, but no voice activation was a killer there.

and when it comes to more "mom-friendly" applications.. skype does just fine most of the time, and the free tier of teams may be worth to look at as well.

unfortunately.. most "alternatives" either have some "hello this is 2007" drawbacks, or are about as bloated as a stereotypical american.

Telegram is amazing but unfortunately it only supports 1x1 calls what decreases it's usefulness.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

https://matrix.org/

It's FOSS and can be self-hosted, but it's slow, because it's federated and the only currently functioning server is written in Python.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

17 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

Telegram is amazing but unfortunately it only supports 1x1 calls what decreases it's usefulness.

I recommend steam, it's up most of the time and has scheduled downtime everyweek to keep it working