Extending my internet range with either a repeater or a secound router.

tiagorpint

Hello, 

Recently I have been having quite a problem in my house. Since it is a big house and my router is placed in the kitchen,, very far away from my room, I get really bad signal. To fix this problem I thought of buying a repeater to extend the signal. This improved my internet a LOT, but I still don't think it is enough specially for gaming. So 1 thing my house has is ethernet cables inside of it, connecting the router to certain parts of the house. This way, in my room I have an ethernet plug which I can just connect to my Computer to have good internet. Now the real problem is: I want to instead of having a cable (which looks kinda ugly) connecting to my PC, I thought of buying an internet extender which would take the Ethernet t and then make the signal wireless. This way I dont have a giant cable in my room.

Question: Should I get a repeater or a router for this task? I have been searching on the internet and most repeaters usually take a wireless signal and transform it into wireless or cable. But I cant find a repeater which transforms Wired internet into Wireless. Maybe a router could do this?

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, tiagorpint said:

But I cant find a repeater which transforms Wired internet into Wireless

What you're looking for is an access-point, not a repeater.

4 minutes ago, tiagorpint said:

Maybe a router could do this?

Yes, a router could also do it.

5 minutes ago, tiagorpint said:

I thought of buying an internet extender which would take the Ethernet t and then make the signal wireless. This way I dont have a giant cable in my room

Or, you know, you could just properly route the cable along the wall with a cable-runner, which would be the best option.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

the best way to do this is use a ethernet cable from your isp modem to your pc

if you really want wifi and goo signal, you can buy a router, connect it to that ethernet cable i mentioned, the router will give you 4 ethernet ports to connect 4 ethernet cables and also will let you create another wifi signal with another password, so you can have on your room your own wifi separated from the wifi the isp gives you

about the cable being ugly, you can install it properly, glued to the floor, walls, roof, it depends on how your kitchen connects to the rooom and what is the best path to hide that ethernet cable

also consider calling your isp and asking them to move the modem to another location, the kitchen is usually not in the center of the house, so they installed it on the wrong place and are providing a bad service thanks to that

Sadly route the cable along the wall would not work, but I will try this acess point. Thanks for the help!

the access point mentioned is basically the router, but without the ethernet ports i mentioned, usually needs the ethernet cable going from the modem to the location where you want to put that acess point

i would try first to contact the isp, so you don't buy anything, they should provide a good service in the first place, then if they move modem and things don't improve, you decide to buy a router, a access point, a repeater, or whatever you decide is best on this case

In my case, the kitchen is in the center of the house, which means the router cannot be moved. So ye I will have to go with either a 2nd router or acess point. But would you say the Router is better for this situation? The acess point only has 1 ethernet port right?

One thing to consider with adding an access point is you will effectively have to wifi networks in your house. This means that you constantly have to switch between them depending on which room you are in. I would recommend looking in to a Mesh wifi router. I have the cheapest netgear Orbing and it works amazingly. 

the access point has only one ethernet port, used to comunicate the access point to the modem

if you want also ethernet ports, you need a router with 4 ethernet ports

i personally prefer a router over a access point, offers more flexibility for the things i do, but sometimes a access point might have better wifi coverage