cheap build for video editing

goto10

years ago i build a pc for a friend to do some video editing, it is a amd a8 6600k, with 16gbs of ddr3 and  cheap motherboard with a gtx750ti, it has a 240gb ssd and a couple hard disks via sata

that a8 served very well, bt any laptop with a i5 is 10 times better when exporting video, i am planning on building a new pc, but i have rey little experience with intel pcs

these are the parts i will keep from the old build, microatx case, gtx 750ti, hard disks, ssd

i will change cpu, ram, motherboard, case fans and the old psu, not because i will need more power, just because it is old and i want to avoid problems with it

ram will be corsair or adata ddr4 266mhz kit or a couple of lpx modules, cpu i am trying to decide between i5 8400 and i5 9400, i need it to have the intel gpu for the quicksync feature on adobe

my biggest doubt is the motherboard, i am tempted between some microatx like gigabyte b360m ds3h and a 360m gaming, also a msi

my concern is with the out of the box support, these 360 are meant for 8th gen and 9th gen, but is this out of the box, does it need a bios update first?

9 minutes ago, goto10 said:

years ago i build a pc for a friend to do some video editing, it is a amd a8 6600k, with 16gbs of ddr3 and  cheap

What's the budget/country?

You can get used R7 1700s for really cheap ~$100

or just get an R5 2600 new for a bit more gaming performance.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Ryzen-7-1700-3-7GHz-4-Eight-Core-Processor-YD1700BBAEBOX/323956493153?epid=235133854&hash=item4b6d4fcb61:g:~5oAAOSwHfxdr7Z4

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Ryzen-7-1700-8c-16-thread-CPU-AM4-YD1700BBM88AE/254400317203?hash=item3b3b70c713:g:ooIAAOSwd0pds5IG

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

thank you for the reply, the bdget is low, around 400 dollars, the country doesn't matter, i am buying locally, because amazon charges alot for the shipping and transport costs

the machine is for video editing, so it has to be intel, because i need intel quicksync, so please don't fill up the post with ryzen entries that can't do what i need

5 minutes ago, goto10 said:

thank you for the reply, the bdget is low, around 400 dollars, the country doesn't matter, i am buying locally, because amazon charges alot for the shipping and transport costs

the machine is for video editing, so it has to be intel, because i need intel quicksync, so please don't fill up the post with ryzen entries that can't do what i need

Intel Quick sync only works for certain codecs and effects and at like 1080p it's not a huge deal, I take it that means premiere? Vegas sometimes appears on the humble bundle for $25 to avoid subscription fees.

As well if you have to use handbrake to re encode footage to a different format Ryzen wins there easily, like for preparing to upload to youtube.

Is there like a local i7 8700 at all? Because that would be a lot better than an i5.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

i know what it does and at what resolution it does it, and my friend uses that quicksync on those circmustances

yes, i can find that i7 and also a 9700, non k

the price is more than double than the price of the i5 8400 or 9400, i think he can't afford it

about my original question, the motherboard, do you think that those b360 will work out of the box with those i5 9th gen?

27 minutes ago, goto10 said:

i know what it does and at what resolution it does it, and my friend uses that quicksync on those circmustances

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#LGA_1150

B365 came out after the 9th gen launched, so that appears to be made for it and come updated out of the box.

Even if you have to wait a bit, it's easily worth trying to find an i7 8700(non K) for the multi-threaded advantage, rather than being stuck with only a 6 core 6 thread CPU.

And try to find a motherboard with a VRM heatsink, so you don't have to worry about that overheating ever.

Spoiler

well, about the heatsink, is a locked cpu, and i think i will use the stock cooler, so it will blow air over those vrms, the case will have some airflow, the lack of heatsink on vrm is not really that bet in my opinion, i used to overclock a old amd cpu without any vrm and those vrms never got hot

the problem with the i7 is the cost, is really expensive, more than double when compared to the i5

about the b360 vs b365, locally i can find this one

https://www.gigabyte.com/co/Motherboard/B365-M-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10#kf

is a bit more expensive than those i mentioned, but seems to fit the budget and the case, also has vrm heatsinks

thank you for your suggestions

t be honest, if it was for me, i would tell him to buy a r5 1600 from aliexpress, 16gbs of ram and a b450, to update it later to a 4700, best bang for buck and upgrade path possible but he does use the quicksync feature alot

4 minutes ago, goto10 said:

t be honest, if it was for me, i would tell him to buy a r5 1600 from aliexpress, 16gbs of ram and a b450, to update it later to a 4700, best bang for buck and upgrade path possible but he does use the quicksync feature alot

More than likely the cuda acceleration will be enough and should work for those codecs as well, or just the cuda versions anyways.

Spoiler

the gtx750ti he has is not much powerful and he plans to change it later, but he uses the quicksync, it is faster than cpu encoding, so it saves time, so i can't really complain

if it was for me i would buy a cheap gigabyte ds3h like mine that has heatsink for cpu vrms, a r5 and be happy but he does use the dam quicksync, and to be honest amd never pushed to do anything similar with their apus, so well, it is what it is, thank you

• 2 weeks later...

final update

i found a deal on a r7 1700x new, so we abandoned the idea of the intel build, it was even more expensive the i5 9400 than that r7 so it was easy to go the amd route and helped overcome the fear for not having quicksync

so we got 2 8gbs kingston ddr4 2667 ugly sticks with no heatsink, also a gigabyte b450m ds3h, even knowing this motherboard doesn't have the best vrm and vrm heatsink, i had to buy it because the rest of microatx available sucks even more

to power all we went with a evga 550watts model, it was cheap and decent, perfect to replace the old tr2 430 it had since 2013 i think, all installed on a old corsair 88r, 4 120 mm fans configured 2 pushing in and two pulling out

1 ssd as boot and 2 hard disks as game storage and as projects storage from the old build, i kept the gtx 750ti because budged was limited, might be updated to a 1060 or a 1650 later, money and availability will tell next year

the problem was the heatsink because i couldnt find any heatsink that could fit inside that case, that has a heatsink height clearance of 140mm maximum(in reality seems to be like 160mm), i didn't wanted watercooling for cpu because on that case the front mount for the waterblock is small and has poor airflow, the top one cannot be used really because the space is barely enough for the fans, so all i had really was space for a 120mm unit in the rear which i honestly find horrendous and might not have worked

i just reused a old hyper tx3 i had around, is just 95watts tdp, and the cpu is that or more, but having nothing else to work with i went with that

all went well, ram even used by itself the xmp profile and ran out of the box at 2667, the most effortless build i have ever made, all worked at first try, no need to adjust anything

under full load with cpu-z stress test the cpu went up to 62°c, vrms went up to 75°c more or less, cpu was overclocking itself to 3.6ghz more or less, so this motherboard can take up to 12 cores but no overclock for it, 16 cores might require undervolt and a fan over vrms, not ideal for such cpu definitively but should hold for a couple years if one is crazy and has limitations thanks to the case

the big concern was go with amd, no intel quicksync, we did a run test, ryzen ran a project in 3 minutes, same project on a i5 8250u laptop with quicksync ran it on around 14 minutes, so quicksync is great, but no match for such cpu power

what didn't improved much was the preview playback, it had to be set at half resolution, for some reason the 750ti doesn't help there, there are other reports of cuda doing nothing on that gpu and similar problems on the preview, the cpu under the project load never went over 45% cpu usage, some cores were not even being used, premiere pro is not the best tool definitively

thank you for your help and your time