Making a custom USB-C cable?

Recently I have really gotten into building custom keyboards. I have begin to think that the next step is to make my own braided cable.

Anyone have brands or methods they'd recommend for buying semi bulk USB-C cable?

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Have you ever made any kind of cable before?

Do you know how small the pins are on the UCB C connectors??

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 hours ago, KhakiHat said:

Recently I have really gotten into building custom keyboards. I have begin to think that the next step is to make my own braided cable.

Anyone have brands or methods they'd recommend for buying semi bulk USB-C cable?

Making custom cables is possible but as said your main difficulty is your ability to solder the the connections, given the correct tools and a steady hand it's not impossible to create USB-C custom cables. Of course you will need to source USB cable stock and the correct size sleeving to thread over before putting on the connectors at the end, most are just calm shell types that snap together. It is good practice to strain relieve the ends by adding a potting compound or essentially hot melt glue into that clam shell which will also secure the sleeving.

18 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

you'd have to resolder, and there are a lot of connectors

I know, I'm looking to challenge myself a little.

18 hours ago, SenKa said:

Looks perfect, could the quality be lesser though based on the price or is that price for the male and female connectors in that state generally the same?

17 hours ago, Enderman said:

Have you ever made any kind of cable before?

Do you know how small the pins are on the UCB C connectors??

I've never a made a USB-C cable before, but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

There are plenty of different tips for soldering irons and diameters of solder that could make it easier given some patience.

12 hours ago, W-L said:

Making custom cables is possible but as said your main difficulty is your ability to solder the the connections, given the correct tools and a steady hand it's not impossible to create USB-C custom cables. Of course you will need to source USB cable stock and the correct size sleeving to thread over before putting on the connectors at the end, most are just calm shell types that snap together. It is good practice to strain relieve the ends by adding a potting compound or essentially hot melt glue into that clam shell which will also secure the sleeving.

Would the glue and say a heat shrink tubing work similarly or am I thinking about it the wrong way?

2 hours ago, KhakiHat said:

Would the glue and say a heat shrink tubing work similarly or am I thinking about it the wrong way?

It will help but ideally you want to secure it with something more to give it some strength. In production they usually inject a hot melt plastic and then the hard plastic over molding, in this case you would be using a clam shell that you snap together over the connection area. 

A section of heatshrink out the end of the clam shell is not a bad idea for strain relief. 

Personally I wouldn’t solder to make a USB-C although is possible with snap on connectors and hen correct cable if visual aesthetics isn’t a issue try a breakout board much easier to wire.  

16 hours ago, W-L said:

It will help but ideally you want to secure it with something more to give it some strength. In production they usually inject a hot melt plastic and then the hard plastic over molding, in this case you would be using a clam shell that you snap together over the connection area. 

A section of heatshrink out the end of the clam shell is not a bad idea for strain relief. 

Ah, I see what you mean.

14 hours ago, VishTech said:

Personally I wouldn’t solder to make a USB-C although is possible with snap on connectors and hen correct cable if visual aesthetics isn’t a issue try a breakout board much easier to wire.  

Unfortunately, I am going more for the degree of aesthetics. 

Do you not recommend soldering the connectors because soldering itself is more difficult?

Piping in in case this has not been mentioned already

You want to use a 4-pin 2.0 USB-c connector, not what was linked before. Some keyboards do not like USB C to USB C cables anyway.

USB-C 2.0 Gold Connector

This is the kind that Zap Cables sells. It's a little expensive, but they also have everything you would need to make a cable. Grab one of those, a usb A connector, some cable, some paracord, heatshrink, and get ready to solder

It'll be a lot easier if you get some helping hands or anything else to keep the cables clamped into place

If you have any other questions, let me know :) 

14 hours ago, alittlepeace said:

Piping in in case this has not been mentioned already

You want to use a 4-pin 2.0 USB-c connector, not what was linked before. Some keyboards do not like USB C to USB C cables anyway.

USB-C 2.0 Gold Connector

This is the kind that Zap Cables sells. It's a little expensive, but they also have everything you would need to make a cable. Grab one of those, a usb A connector, some cable, some paracord, heatshrink, and get ready to solder

It'll be a lot easier if you get some helping hands or anything else to keep the cables clamped into place

If you have any other questions, let me know :) 

Awesome!

What do you mean by some keyboards don't like USB C to USB C? I haven't had any issues with pre-made USB C cables.

4 hours ago, KhakiHat said:

Awesome!

What do you mean by some keyboards don't like USB C to USB C? I haven't had any issues with pre-made USB C cables.

Some boards and microcontrollers don't like USB 3.1 usb c to usb c cables for some reason, they only work when using usb 2.0 usb c to usb a cables

8 hours ago, alittlepeace said:

Some boards and microcontrollers don't like USB 3.1 usb c to usb c cables for some reason, they only work when using usb 2.0 usb c to usb a cables

weird