Do you/can you drive a manual?

Founders
Message added by WkdPaul

Please keep the discussion civil and on-topic.

Do you/can you drive a manual?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What option best describes you?

• Yes, my primarily vehicle has a manual transmission.
    • Yes, my secondary vehicle has a manual transmission.
    • Yes, but I don't have access to a car with a manual transmission.
    • No, I don't know how to drive a car with a manual transmission.

5 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

The motorcycle is way less strenuous in traffic, I live in the suburbs as well and work in a little town outside my city, so my commute is not too bad. I really only drive the car when it's raining.

I ride but I've never used my motorcycle to commute. I'd rather save it for leisure, makes it more enjoyable to me I suppose. 

I know how to drive a manual transmission.  Also, have two motorcycles I drive.  The main vehicle is an automatic.

Personally, I don't prefer one above the other.  I just drive what every is at hand. 

1 hour ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

A lot of truckers live in metropolitan areas. Most people I know who live in metropolitan areas know how to drive manuals.

Plus, not hard to tow off a manual stick especially if the vehicle is RWD.  Just either smack into neutral which is not hard to do or lift the rear end up and tow it off.

Also, I would not dare think manual as theft security.  I have seen a good bit of manuals stolen around here just for the fact most of the older ones don't have screaming theft alarms on them.  Even big 1800cc motorcycles get stolen at times if those don't have hub or brake locks put on.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

I mean, have you looked at manuals that are sold in North America?

Most are the shitty entry level car with no A/C and hand pump friggen windows.  No wonder people don't buy them.  And that's on purpose.

Or they're a sports car which people already buy so few of.

That being said I drive a forester STi with the 6speed STi manual transmission

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

1 hour ago, TempestCatto said:

I mean I still stand by it. Most city people can't do what country people can, and visa-versa.

I suspect it's more of an age thing. Most passenger vehicles, including big pickup trucks, are now made with automatics so most younger people have never had the opportunity or need to learn how to drive a stick shift (let alone anything with crash boxes) whereas most older people have had the need or opportunity to drive a stick.

Also, don't sell country people so short. Most, especially the younger ones, are just as savvy about most things as city folk, if not more so.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

10 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

I suspect it's more of an age thing. Most passenger vehicles, including big pickup trucks, are now made with automatics so most younger people have never had the opportunity or need to learn how to drive a stick shift (let alone anything with crash boxes) whereas most older people have had the need or opportunity to drive a stick.

Also, don't sell country people so short. Most, especially the younger ones, are just as savvy about most things as city folk, if not more so.

It is indeed an age thing.

I'm not selling country people short? I'm a countryman myself. I honestly hate cities and tend to think lowly of the people who live within them.

Always preferred manual. Honestly, I get bored driving if I am not shifting gears. I do not like automatic vehicles because I see all my vehicles as toys and I like to be in control of them and have fun.

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue

Yessir, i can drive and my main vehicle has a manual transmission.

Here in Brazil its a requirement to take lessons in learning how to drive and operate a manual vehicle under normal city driving circunstances to get a license, but many like myself learn how to drive a manual vehicle before the lessons, usually by our parents.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

Learned how to drive a manual on a pick up, my first car was a manual. Now I have a truck that's auto. I honestly don't care about manual as much as I used too. The next vehicle I'll get will be an auto. When I get my weekend car I'll likely go manual for it

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

Yes, absolutely can drive manual and highly prefer it! First car was manual and converted the current project to a manual as well. Have had a couple others in the past as well, and my first job was working at a Chrysler dealer taking pictures and info for their website and database. Drove every vehicle that went through the lot in the 2 or so years I worked there, including many manuals.

In my first car, my current project and my buddies old truck I could/can shift without the clutch as well, both up and down rev matching. Always rev match my downshifts though, less wear on the clutch.

I go stir crazy driving auto, its just so boring!

49 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

I mean, have you looked at manuals that are sold in North America?

Most are the shitty entry level car with no A/C and hand pump friggen windows.  No wonder people don't buy them.  And that's on purpose.

Or they're a sports car which people already buy so few of.

That being said I drive a forester STi with the 6speed STi manual transmission

Car manufactures may only offer 20 percent of their cars with a manual option but to say "most are the shitty entry level car with no A/C and hand pump friggen windows" simply isn't the case. Here you'll find the cheaper cars listed first, sure, but there are plenty of other much nicer options available. 

49 minutes ago, TheVillageIdiot said:

Not rying to derail but what is up with the purple thing ?

I think you may be referring to the line that shows you where the new posts have started since you last viewed the thread. 

5 hours ago, Ehmc130 said:

In the US just 2 percent of all new vehicles sold in 2018 were manuals and only 20 percent of vehicles offer the option according to Edmunds. With the continued growth and development of electric vehicles the future is looking pretty bleak for the manual transmission as an option. As government regulations change in favor of electric vehicles for the masses the use of internal combustion and manuals in cars will eventually be a thing of the past. According to BP's Statistical Review of World Energy, global oil reserves at the end of 2012 were 1.7 trillion barrels. Given that the world consumes about 86 million barrels of crude oil per day, it would be easy to conclude we will run out of oil in 55 years.

With all that said I'm a sad panda, every car I've owned has had a manual transmission and I still prefer it as my daily driver. Don't get me wrong sometimes it's nice to hop in another car and not have to shift, but I feel if I ever gave it up I'd regret it immediately. I know that eventually it will no longer be an option at all so I prefer to enjoy it while I still can. I'm interested to hear what everyone has to say, thanks for participating.   

I have no desire to drive a manual at all. I just like getting in my car and driving at not having to worry about when to shift. I still feel in control of my vehicle and have plenty of fun behind the wheel.

My first two cars were automatic. When the latter was kind of at death's door, I bought a Mazda with a 5-speed manual. The test drive was my first time driving manual actually. Not terribly difficult. I don't really miss the automatics much. Even traffic isn't too bad, though I feel for the poor clutch a bit in stop and go traffic. I'd imagine the auto transmission failing in the first car probably instilled some ptsd in me. ?

Highway fuel economy is ok (probably owing to the gear ratios that let rpms run high more than anything), though city fuel economy was astoundingly good.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

My last automatic was I owned was a 1970 Pontiac Bonneville. That was in 1978. Since then I have only driven manuals.

The car I drive now is a 2019 WRX STI. The STI is the top of the line Subaru WRX and only comes in manual. I guess it bucks the trend.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

I would say that by far the most cars in Germany are manual.
Yes but I only drive once a year when I am visiting my parents. I don´t need a car in my current situation and can´t afford it anyways. 

I'm 30 and have never owned a car with an automatic transmission, both of my current cars are manuals, and so have my previous cars.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I have 3 cars with three different transmissions.  1 manual, 1 CVT, and 1 without. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Can I Drive a Manual?

Related image

Spoiler

Snapchat-1036323960.thumb.jpg.183ab5d0cef1bb03a942cce767c82686.jpg

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

14 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Me cahh has a manual. Here in the UK, at the moment, it is about a 60:40 split of manual-to-slushmatics but not too long ago, the ratio was more like 80:20. Since maybe 2014 or 2015, the number of autos sold increased drastically. 

I found that interesting so tried to look a bit further. Found link below which says in 2017 40% of new cars sold in UK were automatic. Factoring in the large number of older vehicles still on the road, the number in the wild is probably much lower, although increasing. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/news/automatic-gearbox-sales-increase-70-per-cent-since-2007/

Personally I've only owned manual cars. The only time I've driven automatics (in UK or US) were rental vehicles. I do like their ease of driving, especially in stop-start traffic. Don't know if it is still a thing, historically they're less fuel efficient and cost more to buy up front, like for like, compared to a manual. That could be a factor also. Then again, with electric cars, there is no need for one. Wonder how much that figures into the numbers.

I was a bit surprised when I was sent to California on a work trip last year, how many did have manual shift. One was less surprising when I found out he was a proper petrolhead and could identify any car if you so much as showed him a part of a light cluster. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

27 minutes ago, Velcade said:

I have 3 cars with three different transmissions.  1 manual, 1 CVT, and 1 without. 

Okay, first: F (CVT); and second: How do you drive without a transmission? I can't think of a single car in the last 100 years that didn't have a transmission. Wait, do Teslas have transmissions, or is that all in the electric motors?

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

I have driven manual my whole life and it's really fun, specially sporty driving.

On the other hand, I wish my current car was manual... All the higher tier powerful cars seem to head into the auto territory... 

19 minutes ago, The1Dickens said:

Okay, first: F (CVT); and second: How do you drive without a transmission? I can't think of a single car in the last 100 years that didn't have a transmission. Wait, do Teslas have transmissions, or is that all in the electric motors?

Ding Ding.  It's a tesla.

The CVT is the wife's car and it's not terrible.

I'll never understand those that believe MaNuAl OnLy Or YoUrE nOt A rEaL dRiVeR

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

1 minute ago, Velcade said:

The CVT is the wife's car and it's not terrible.  I love all three.  I'll never understand those that believe MaNuAl OnLy Or YoUrE nOt A rEaL dRiVeR

Well, you've got to admit that driving a manual sportscar on a circuit beats the auto option... 

1 minute ago, Velcade said:

The CVT is the wife's car and it's not terrible.  I love all three.  I'll never understand those that believe MaNuAl OnLy Or YoUrE nOt A rEaL dRiVeR

My last car was a CVT (1997 Honda Civic HX), and it was just so depressing to drive. I guess if you've got a newer one, they are more 'lively'? And yea, that bit about manuals is funny, because Porsche's PDK shifts faster than any human-operated manual transmission ever could, and does so consistently. Not to mention all the high-end "flappy paddles" used all the way up to F1.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

I mean...I'm not old enough to legally drive but I can drive a manual transmission and my first car will be a manual unless something bad happens to it like an accident that totals it.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈