Home Server

Hi,

Im thinking of building a server here at home, is it a good idea? or just stick to a tower and lappy?

Cheers

any computers can be a server, even smartphones.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Depends on your use case really. 

I personally run a server at home with around 5 VMs serving different functions. Part of it is for using as a test environment to learn, but it also has some very useful functions. 

Currently, I use it for my mass storage for my computers (about 16TB), VPN access to my network, network management, CCTV NVR, Windows Update server, Domain control, DNS, DHCP and a few applications that are always running. 

If you're in a technical role at work or want to move that way, I'd definitely recommend building one. If you have a specific use for it in mind, it can be useful. If you just want shared storage or something, you can really do that with a PC that's always on rather than a dedicated machine. 

its for a mix of everything really like Oshino's, and to see if i can do it.