[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

I was looking at the newer gigabyte power supplies (The PB500 and P650B) and I was wondering why the 500 watt psu is in tier C but the 650 is tier B? they both look like they were given decent reviews when I checked the sources. Could someone elaborate? Thanks

2 minutes ago, matusrules said:

I was looking at the newer gigabyte power supplies (The PB500 and P650B) and I was wondering why the 500 watt psu is in tier C but the 650 is tier B? they both look like they were given decent reviews when I checked the sources. Could someone elaborate? Thanks

500w is group regulated

650w is dc-dc

9 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

500w is group regulated

650w is dc-dc

Would you recommend the P650B for $65 USD then? other options are the EVGA BQ, BR, corsair CV >650W, thermaltake smart bx1, and seasonic S12III. I'm just iffy on it since it's gigabyte but it will be powering a mid range system that pulls like 350w~ that will be upgraded later

10 minutes ago, matusrules said:

Would you recommend the P650B for $65 USD then? other options are the EVGA BQ, BR, corsair CV >650W, thermaltake smart bx1, and seasonic S12III. I'm just iffy on it since it's gigabyte but it will be powering a mid range system that pulls like 350w~ that will be upgraded later

out of those I would indeed choose P650b, though cv650 (not 450/550) would do as well

gigabyte doesn't produce their PSUs themselves

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

out of those I would indeed choose P650b, though cv650 (not 450/550) would do as well

gigabyte doesn't produce their PSUs themselves

okay, thanks! I'm aware they don't but I just mean because of warranty and Customer service, gigabyte isn't exactly the best

@LukeSavenije is it possible to add a denotation for which ones are fully digital with some kind of internal data connection for monitoring power usage?

cTurtle98 - Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: i7 7700k

COOLER: Thermaltake - Water 3.0 Extreme S
MOBO: Asrock z270 killer sli/ac

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200

SSD 1: Intel - 600p Series 1TB M.2-2280 (Windows)

SSD 2: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME (POP_OS)

GPU: MSI - GTX 1070

PSU: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Fully-Modular

CASE: Thermaltake - Versa H26

cTurtle98 - Portable PC

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600

COOLER: NH-L9a-AM4

MOBO: ASRock - AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac

RAM: 16GB (2 x 8GB) Corsair - Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

SSD 1: Intel - 600p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 (Windows)

SSD 2: 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" (Manjaro)

SSD 3: PNY - CS1311 120 GB 2.5" (POP_OS)

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB MINI ITX OC

PSU: HDPLEX 400 AC-DC DC-ATX Combo

CASE: NFC Skyreach 4 mini

2 hours ago, cTurtle98 said:

@LukeSavenije is it possible to add a denotation for which ones are fully digital with some kind of internal data connection for monitoring power usage?

Only Corsair AXi IIRC are fully digital with interface exposed. Digital multirail units are already marked purple, most of them have power monitoring, adding yet another color proven to be too messy, we tried. If you just want power monitoring there's a few analog PSUs with digital interface like Corsair RMi/HXi. There's also a few non-multirail units with digital interface like like TT iRGB and DPS G.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

2 hours ago, Juular said:

Only Corsair AXi IIRC are fully digital with interface exposed. Digital multirail units are already marked purple, most of them have power monitoring, adding yet another color proven to be too messy, we tried. If you just want power monitoring there's a few analog PSUs with digital interface like Corsair RMi/HXi. There's also a few non-multirail units with digital interface like like TT iRGB and DPS G.

by the way u should drag down the riotoro enigma g2 to A- since as you can see they arent based on the new focus revision lol, hell mines from april 2018(the first batch of the v2 focus plus)

Does anyone know what type of cables are used with XPG Core Reactor?
For the last few days my PC has been shutting down and turning on even while doing not intensive tasks, so it seems like my PSU is starting to have issues  (either that or my graphics card). Found the 650w Core Reactor for roughly 70€ and that seems like a decent deal for this PSU. Buuuuuuuuuut if I ever want to go with custom cables, I might be out of the luck, that already happened with SP11

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

1 hour ago, NeptuneIX said:

by the way u should drag down the riotoro enigma g2 to A- since as you can see they arent based on the new focus revision

except that they're confirmed to be new focus to me, so they won't be moved any time soon

1 hour ago, NeptuneIX said:

by the way u should drag down the riotoro enigma g2 to A- since as you can see they arent based on the new focus revision lol, hell mines from april 2018(the first batch of the v2 focus plus)

New batches should be GX based. The only way to know that is to ask retailer for manufacturing date but still.

47 minutes ago, Yaxir said:

guys what are your views abour REDragon power supplies ?

No specifications on their site, nothing, absolutely, not even things like full range it is or not. No photos of the unit insides or even a fucking label i could found. 80+ certificates on PlugLoad are from 2008\2012 and links are expired. In short, avoid this shit. At the very most this is some old-ass group-regulated Andyson\HEC platform looking by what i see through the grille on these low-resolution photos i found.

Just for the sake of clarification - XPG Core Reactor would be A+ tier if it had multirail, right? Trying to decide between it and Deepcool DQ-M, 650w units so multi-rail isn't that necessary

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

10 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

Just for the sake of clarification - XPG Core Reactor would be A+ tier if it had multirail, right?

Pretty much. Both units are good, the only difference is rails configuration.

19 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

Just for the sake of clarification - XPG Core Reactor would be A+ tier if it had multirail, right? Trying to decide between it and Deepcool DQ-M, 650w units so multi-rail isn't that necessary

correct, but at 650w I would personally say you're totally fine with going on a single rail unit, so you can grab either

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

correct, but at 650w I would personally say you're totally fine with going on a single rail unit, so you can grab either

Yep. Not only XPG seems to be less noisy according to Aris, but it's also around 25€ cheaper. The only issue is availability, have to wait at least 2 weeks.. Ugh

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

I think the Tier A- labeling needs a renaming.  It's misleading to new users who get linked here to see a Seasonic Prime PX-1000 Platinum or Prime TX-1000 Titanium or their 1200W model only recommended for 650W or lower systems.  That really confuses people.  

7 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

I think the Tier A- labeling needs a renaming.  It's misleading to new users who get linked here to see a Seasonic Prime PX-1000 Platinum or Prime TX-1000 Titanium or their 1200W model only recommended for 650W or lower systems.  That really confuses people.  

1. Tier A- isn't about multi\single-rail, it's about units that have problems.

2. What's so confusing with "Recommended for <=650w high end systems" ? You have 650W system ? It's fine, go for tier A. You have 750W system ? I.e not any gaming PC - it's recommended to go for tier A+ due to these PSUs being multirail. Or rather it's not about a PC but rather about PSU. If you don't need high-wattage PSU and with gaming PC you don't need more than 650W in all cases, then don't get high-wattage PSU. If you do - get multi-rail one if you can. It doesn't matter if 1.3kW single-rail PSU is made by Seasonic or not, it's still single-rail and it can still pump 2-3x more energy than 550\650W PSU into a failed piece of hardware in a split second before OCP\OPP kicks in. Again, it's not requirement, it's a recommendation.

That's part of the problem here, @Juular

When Aris gives a PSU a strong review and you say it's not worth using compared to other options and the label itself on the tier is misleading, you and I may know what you mean but what about the average joe?

There have been many forum posts linking to this review tier.  And that wording is going to throw other people off.  I mean I already understand your reasoning but it still throws me off.

Things like this create confusion.  If the tier says "Higher Wattage 650W+units that are not multirail OCP are also included here" helps mitigate that, without people having to dig for an explanation.  I'm not disagreeing with the A-.  Just the vague label.

@Falkentyne Average Joe doesn't look at reviews, if he does, he probably knows what multi-rail OCP means. We can't fix every person who think that just because there are 1.3kW Seasonic and 2kW Super Flower PSUs - they're better than other PSUs that have multi-rail OCP. See, in my opinion, these labels on tier A and A+ are really redundant, tier A+ were called just as multi-rail PSUs tier before and that's enough. There are explanation in notes on what multi-rail means and why it matters. The only reason people think that we're wrong here with putting multi-rail above some other PSUs is because these other PSUs include Seasonic and Super Flower which have a fame of best PSUs out there, which is partly true but this is not a whole picture, this creates a cognitive dissonance in brains of some people and they just deny any reasoning, nothing would help if people don't want to learn.

1 hour ago, Falkentyne said:

When Aris gives a PSU a strong review and you say it's not worth using compared to other options and the label itself on the tier is misleading, you and I may know what you mean but what about the average joe?

I want you to read what Juular said again

1 hour ago, Juular said:

You have 650W system ? It's fine, go for tier A. You have 750W system ? I.e not any gaming PC - it's recommended to go for tier A+ due to these PSUs being multirail.

we've chosen to let tier A+ be of a similar quality to tier A, but with a requirement for multirail, due to how Multirail OCP will make a difference with high wattage PSUs, and of course there's always the famous names of Seasonic and Superflower who choose not to, due to the increased RMA rates a single rail unit gives, due to their more flexable configuration with cables. where you have to specifically look out with a multirail to not make it shut down on OCP because you have a high power GPU and connected both cables on a single vga rail.

and after all, it's a recommendation, if you want to grab a 2500w Superflower Leadex Platinum, be my guest. the tier list is a guideline, not something that should and will end proper research. all we do is transparantly show what PSU we would use with what system, with the full methodology and sources behind it so people can do their own research.

and to this day it surprises me that no-one has really talked about MIJ being there as well

I did read what he said dude.  Holy cow.  And I bought a PX-1000 two weeks ago.  Perhaps you didn't read what *I* said where I didn't criticize the grades.  I'm fully, 500% aware of where you guys stand.  It's your forum, your poll and you're entitled to your opinions.  But as this an open forum, you are also entitled to other people posting their feedback as well.  And I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THE GRADES, even though you seem to love picking on me and criticizing me.  I don't appreciate that.

And where is @jonnyGURU I haven't heard his feedback on any of this.

1 minute ago, Falkentyne said:

And where is @jonnyGURU I haven't heard his feedback on any of this.

Jon isn't a fan of the tier list concept itself, from what I know

and I mean... on the single vs multirail part there's always this:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?3990-Single-vs-Multiple-12V-rails-The-splitting-of-the-12V-rail

@Falkentyne I'm sure Luke didn't mean to sound this harsh, it's just we are really tired of discussing this matter all over and over again. We really can'thelp it that some people don't get the concept behind multirail. And the only way i could think of to make tier descriptions different (not sure if less confusing) is to revert them back to just multi-rail and single-rail, this way an end user would have to look up what that means and decide for themselves.