[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

10 hours ago, viceice said:

Hi; why did astro gd in tier D, is it a bad version?

It's for <=750W versions, it would be specified in next revision. (mixed it up with GD-F) Same platform as SPC Supremo M1 Platinum which performs terrible in Aris review, it may be already fixed but since both Astro GD (which is not equal to Astro GD-F V1 and V2) and SPC Supmore M1 Platinum are discontinued and i'm not aware of any other units based on this platform, so they would probably stay there anyway.

10 hours ago, viceice said:

is the consensus on high power performance gd is still the same?

Correct.

8 hours ago, Lian La-Fey said:

What dou you think about FSP Hydro, Hydro K, and Hydro Pro? I think Hydro and Hydro K can at least be on Tier D and Pro can be on Tier C, but I'd like to learn your thoughts.

Thanks for your suggestion. Hydro Pro is in tier B. I'll add Hydro K and Hydro (Bronze) in next revision to tier D since there are no crossloads data to know if it's qualifies for tier C or not (methodology has been changed a bit too, next version is in spreadsheet).

1 hour ago, Quadriplegic said:

Silentium L2 Gold units don't have OTP, so they shouldn't be on Tier A

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40/?do=findComment&comment=13434299

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

43 minutes ago, Juular said:

Hydro Pro is in tier B.

tenor.gif.70e467c0e71de3c10b19b27764ea7fbf.gif

I must have missed that memo.

"And when it's all over, what we'll remember is; not the words of our enemies, will be the silence of our friends."

Building a R5 3600 + Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC:

Due to the stock issues right now, I'm only able to purchase either a Tier A 550W vs a Tier B 650W.

Which one should I go for.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

34 minutes ago, Noyu said:

Due to the stock issues right now, I'm only able to purchase either a Tier A 550W vs a Tier B 650W.

tier A 550w

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

tier A 550w

got it. thanks! i'll try my hand with used ones first but if not I'll pull the trigger on a 550w

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

2 hours ago, Noyu said:

Building a R5 3600 + Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC:

Which one should I go for.

If my mind isn't out of control the Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w is still in stock. 

On 2/10/2020 at 6:25 PM, Juular said:

Focus Plus Gold :

Focus Plus Platinum :

As you see, they have nearly identical components set, aside for differences in APFC stage. And anyway, the PSU isn't only the set of components, it's entire platform, that's why there's a lot of different ones, performing good and not so much. And we can't possibly evaluate every every wattage of every PSU lineup\platform just because they have differently rated MOSFETS or filtering capacitors, simply because otherwise this tier list would be impossible to make since there aren't enough data. We have user data on issues with Seasonic Focus platform as a whole, GPU shutdowns where it shouldn't by any means (say GTX1070 Ti on 650W Focus Gold Plus), that one review with high overload ripple are just drop in the ocean.

Whether it was intermittent issue with some batches or some core issue in platform itself - doesn't matter, Seasonic acknowledged the issue, tried to fix it with users which had it and contacted support, discontinued the whole lineup and there are no reports (yet) of such problems with newer SKUs (Focus GX\PX, Phanteks AMP, XPG Core Reactor etc.), this doesn't mean that they were fixed but until it's proven that they weren't we tier it at tier A since there were apparenely some hardware changes which could've made a difference.

This whole tier list are mostly made based on reviews with assumption & guessing work, there are simply not enough data to strictly tier every unit available. And Focus GX were tiered the same as FX until review of Phanteks AMP showed up which passed overload ripple testing. Also there are no reports of problems with it (or other GX based units) yet so we make an assumtion that it's good. Before that, on older tier list, we made an assumption that FX\FM\PX were good too, it proved to be wrong because there are a lot of reports of GPU instability and Seasonic themselves acknowledged that.

Even looking at the pictures you can see that there are some difference, at least in the output filtering, which probably isn't the core cause because there were reports that issues persist even with shielded cables Seasonic supplied.

Ok since my PSU is discarted at this point ( SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W)

I wonder if there is any good 550W (ryzen 9 3900x + GTX 1070OC Strix, and will update for a better VR card in the future) PSU for around 90-110€ (Italy EUR prices)

I alwasy looked at Enermax or SeaSonic because over time on forums I read them as 2 of the most reputable PSU brands but years later today Idk how much of that still holds true :(

2020 AMD Build:

Ryzen 3800x - Asus TUF x570 - Crucial Ballistix 16GB 3600cl16 - ROG Strix GTX1070 OC 8G - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W - Sabrent Rocket 1TB

2012 Intel Build:

Intel i5-3570k @4.0Ghz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866 - XFX HD7970 GHz - Enermax Revolution87+ 650w - Crucial MX500 500GB

7 hours ago, Trentonxx said:

Ok since my PSU is discarted at this point ( SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W)

It's not, it's Focus FX, we'll rename it to Focus Plus Gold in next revision to make it clear. Keep it, with most GPUs it would be okay and 550W is enough for gaming PC. If it wouldn't work with GPU you'll chose (like it would be some high-transient stuff again, like AMD Vega) then replace it.

6 hours ago, Juular said:

It's not, it's Focus FX, we'll rename it to Focus Plus Gold in next revision to make it clear. Keep it, with most GPUs it would be okay and 550W is enough for gaming PC. If it wouldn't work with GPU you'll chose (like it would be some high-transient stuff again, like AMD Vega) then replace it.

Yeah I admit some entry are confusing if they carry a similar name :( thanks for clearing it up! 

2020 AMD Build:

Ryzen 3800x - Asus TUF x570 - Crucial Ballistix 16GB 3600cl16 - ROG Strix GTX1070 OC 8G - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W - Sabrent Rocket 1TB

2012 Intel Build:

Intel i5-3570k @4.0Ghz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866 - XFX HD7970 GHz - Enermax Revolution87+ 650w - Crucial MX500 500GB

1 hour ago, viceice said:

which platform this psu based on? is it good?

It's Andyson, smth along the lines of Aerocool KCAS Plus / KCAS G, Xigmatec Cerberus S =>550W or EVGA BQ <=600W.

1 hour ago, MrIronGolem27 said:

Another day, another crapfest on SlickDeals about how this tier list sucks. :V

Luke, you wanna get in on this one?

Assuming that sillyrabbid is you, you've mistaken 2017 CX which is in tier B+ and which they were likely referring to with 2012 one.

4 hours ago, Juular said:

Assuming that sillyrabbid is you, you've mistaken 2017 CX which is in tier B+ and which they were likely referring to with 2012 one.

Why make that assumption?

And no, it's not me. 😑 Why the hell would I come here for that kind of drama, having previously left messages in here for the clear sake of learning, if I were only looking for drama?

Seriously, where did you get that I am sillyrabbid from any of that?

2 minutes ago, MrIronGolem27 said:

this is more common than you think, and most comes from previous versions of the list, which didn't have methodology, sources and such to back it up for these kinds of people

don't pay too much attention to it and just move on, people are allowed to have their own opinion

5 minutes ago, MrIronGolem27 said:

Why make that assumption?

And no, it's not me. 😑 Why the hell would I come here for that kind of drama, having previously left messages in here for the clear sake of learning, if I were only looking for drama?

Because you have a rabbit/hare on avatar lol. Sorry if i offended you.

22 minutes ago, Juular said:

Because you have a rabbit/hare on avatar lol. Sorry if i offended you.

Oh LOL well isn't that just the strangest coincidence 😅

16 minutes ago, viceice said:

https://www.teknobiyotik.com/donanim/psu-guc-kaynagi-power-supply/high-power-600w-80-bronze-eco-aktif-pfc-yuksek-verimli-guc-kaynagi-hpe-600br-a12s.html

another low cost high power unit. any ideas? (its abused and overused in pre-built oem computers here in turkey and one of my friends considering to buy it)

Can't find any internal shots of it but looking by the what i see through the grille on this video ...

... it's group regulated unit, smth very old, and i'm not very versed in old High Power platforms. But since it's group regulated it's smth for office/iGPU/APU systems at most.

Amazon has run out of everything, I managed to find these some PSU from the Tier A with Prime shipping but

Antec EA550G Pro for 103,45 € shp: tomorrow

Antec EA650G Pro for 89,99 € shp: tomorrow

NeoECO NE650M for 67,99 € shp: 30 April

EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W for 118,62 € shp: 30 April

Seasonic Focus 450W Gold for 80,90 €  shp: 30 April

is it ok to get the 650W version and save €€€? or it's best to stick as close as the Wattage value for the system?

I'm thinking of maybe getting whatever is ready and when the Plus Gold 550W (or another great PSU from the A tier) under 100€ comes back in stock I will ship it back to get the better one. but uhh.. idk if they might mark my account for this :(

I already got the CPU and Ram delivered tomorrow (23 April) but the Mobos are all Out of Stock so I'm tryint to grab all the other components I can find waiting for the first restock :(

immagine.png.3b72cf2a1e1b8c5573465dd57ca8f793.png

2020 AMD Build:

2012 Intel Build:

5 minutes ago, Trentonxx said:

Pretty sure this particular PSU is actually in Tier C, under Neo Eco M, which is why it's so cheap. Looking at the price, the Antec EA650G Pro is the best one to get.

7 minutes ago, Trentonxx said:

is it ok to get the 650W version and save €€€? or it's best to stick as close as the Wattage value for the system?

It's better to save the money. You can't have too many watts (well ok, you can, but a 100w difference isn't anything to worry about)

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

1 minute ago, MrBrightSyde said:

Pretty sure this particular PSU is actually in Tier C, under Neo Eco M, which is why it's so cheap. Looking at the price, the Antec EA650G Pro is the best one to get.

It's better to save the money. You can't have too many watts (well ok, you can, but a 100w difference isn't anything to worry about)

ugh! you're right! I was too hyped by the finding of another stocked PSU that I overlooked that one.

I think I will get the 650W then. I never got an Antec PSU and I have a personal bias towards Enermax/Seasonic for 10+ years of reliability but I'll just take what's listed in the A tier blindly as I don't have much choice anyway now :( 

I see the warning: GPU shutdown issues (1080 ti gaming x, vega 64/VII, 970 Strix, 2080 ti)  Since I will upgrade my GPU for a next gen one for VR down the line (powering a Valve Index, I'm doing fine now but I can't get higher refresh rates. and I want to see what's coming this year or the next instead of getting a middle card. so I presume it's going to be more power hungry like a 1080 or 2080...
Can I RMA the PSU in that case? like 2-3 years after the purchase?

2020 AMD Build:

2012 Intel Build:

4 minutes ago, Trentonxx said:

I see the warning: GPU shutdown issues (1080 ti gaming x, vega 64/VII, 970 Strix, 2080 ti)  Since I will upgrade my GPU for a next gen one for VR down the line (powering a Valve Index, I'm doing fine now but I can't get higher refresh rates. and I want to see what's coming this year or the next instead of getting a middle card. so I presume it's going to be more power hungry like a 1080 or 2080...

Can I RMA the PSU in that case? like 2-3 years after the purchase?

I don't know if you could RMA since it would be the same PSU with the same problems with those GPUs. It wouldn't fix the problem the PSU has with those GPUs. If you want to avoid those issues altogether, it would be better to wait for PSUs to come back in stock, though that depends on whether or not if you need a PSU at this moment.

If you already have a PSU that works, and if you can wait, I would wait until better PSUs to come back in stock, especially if you are going to upgrade to something like a 1080ti/2080ti/other high wattage card.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

1 minute ago, MrBrightSyde said:

I don't know if you could RMA since it would be the same PSU with the same problems with those GPUs. It wouldn't fix the problem the PSU has with those GPUs. If you want to avoid those issues altogether, it would be better to wait for PSUs to come back in stock, though that depends on whether or not if you need a PSU at this moment.

If you already have a PSU that works, and if you can wait, I would wait until better PSUs to come back in stock, especially if you are going to upgrade to something like a 1080ti/2080ti/other high wattage card.

mhn right, I have to get the same model back. well if it's a good PSU I can still keep it for other builds or give it to a friend anyway. now I have a 500W enermax but it's running in my current build so I can't take it off, I want a PSU by the next week so at least I can plug everything togheter, check if it all works fine and start using the system to pass time during this lockdown :(

I'll go with the Antec one then, thank you so much for your support!

2020 AMD Build:

2012 Intel Build:

2 hours ago, Trentonxx said:

Tier C.

Antec EA550G Pro for 103,45 € shp: tomorrow

Antec EA650G Pro for 89,99 € shp: tomorrow 

Would be in tier B+ in next revision, sleeve bearing fan.

EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W for 118,62 € shp: 30 April

Seasonic Focus 450W Gold for 80,90 €  shp: 30 April

Tier A. Hard choice, 450W should be enough if this is gaming machine and almost 120 EUR for EVGA G2 sounds a bit too much. I also see Focus GX 650W for 103 EUR at PCPP but not sure if that's right.