[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

Update on my self-rebooting PC during gaming: I found a reliable way to trigger this behavior.

OCCT "Lagre data set / NoAVX" Benchmark + Any game for ~5 minutes = PC reboots. This can be done even without any kind of CPU overclock or GPU undervolting, and without any other software running, except benchmark/game and it's launcher. Running a game is crucial to trip over PSU, as OCCT "Power" test can't force my PC to reboot even after 8 hours straight. Also, any game can do it, even if I'm sitting in a menu (with 3D background) and GPU power draw is lower than OCCT "Power" test.

Is there anything else I should test before trying to RMA my PSU? Maybe BIOS settings like LLC (currently on Auto) or C-States (currently Off, because it helps with real-time audio production)? It will be a PITA to RMA it, since I bought it from Russia, "no questions asked" period is over and both my city and Moscow are on quarantine due to Coronavirus.

1 minute ago, Nlelith said:

Update on my self-rebooting PC during gaming: I found a reliable way to trigger this behavior.

OCCT "Lagre data set / NoAVX" Benchmark + Any game for ~5 minutes = PC reboots. This can be done even without any kind of CPU overclock or GPU undervolting, and without any other software running, except benchmark/game and it's launcher. Running a game is crucial to trip over PSU, as OCCT "Power" test can't force my PC to reboot even after 8 hours straight. Also, any game can do it, even if I'm sitting in a menu (with 3D background) and GPU power draw is lower than OCCT "Power" test.

Is there anything else I should test before trying to RMA my PSU? Maybe BIOS settings like LLC (currently on Auto) or C-States (currently Off, because it helps with real-time audio production)? It will be a PITA to RMA it, since I bought it from Russia, "no questions asked" period is over and both my city and Moscow are on quarantine due to Coronavirus.

So it wasn't the problem with previous PSU ? This just seems like CPU\RAM instability to me.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

4 minutes ago, Juular said:

So it wasn't the problem with previous PSU ? This just seems like CPU\RAM instability to me.

This never happened with previous PSU. RAM passed memtest86 recently, and CPU is on default settings currently, except C-States. I can try to disable XMP profile and test it once more, as well as leave only one stick at a time. Is there anything else I can do to test stability of CPU/RAM?

2 minutes ago, Nlelith said:

Is there anything else I can do to test stability of CPU/RAM?

Memtest and OCCT ...

The SILENTIUMPC Supremo FM2 from tier A doesn't have OTP and people have reported excessive fan noise problems. Without OTP it should be a tier B? 

13 minutes ago, alternxtive said:

people have reported excessive fan noise problems.

What does that mean ?

13 minutes ago, alternxtive said:

The SILENTIUMPC Supremo FM2 from tier A doesn't have OTP

It does. Here's quote from review for Modecom Volcano Gold which uses the same platform :

The combined limit for OPP was kinda problematic to achieve. Both lower rails being limited to about 20 A and having my +12V draw limit (in the meantime increased though), I could have only loaded the unit with about 950 W. It was close to shut down in the end though as the unit started cycling, which would suggest there is actually OTP present. As the supervisor had intermittent signal from OTP sensor (thermistor), it was showing this behaviour, as the unit cooled down, things returned to normal. So the unit can deliver the power and actual OPP (or +12 V OCP) limit is higher, but it has cooling problems when overloaded.

https://www.hardwareinsights.com/modecom-volcano-750-gold-review/6/#Crossloading-overloading

Hello,due to covid (i think) it's getting harder to find good PSUs with a fair price in stores on my country,so right now i think these are the best options in the price range i'm looking for:

Corsair CX650M 80 plus bronze

Seasonic 550w G-550 80 plus gold

XFX xtr 650w 80 plus gold

XFX xtr2 650w 80 plus gold

Based on the tier list seems like all models are kinda similar...the xtr2 is probably newer also full modular but i can't find good feedback/review about this model,the xtr and G-550 are old projects...so i have no idea which one i should get.

My PC is:

ryzen 1600 stock

16gb 3000mhz

GTX 660

500gb SSD + 1Tb HD

GA AB350 Gaming 3

But i will upgrade my GPU next month to probably a 2060 super or 5700 XT,Thanks for the help.

@Matheus642 Corsair CX-M isn't on the same level as the other ones. XFX XTR and Seasonic G are the same thing. XFX XTR2 are Seasonic Focus. But keep in mind that XFX are out of PSU business so there might be some problems with RMA \ warranty should the need for it arise. So if they're the same price i suggest Seasonic, it's older model but it's still quite good. Or you can give links to some local online stores for us to see if there's smth else. Better make a separate thread for that tho and ping me or Luke.

revisiting this thread after more than an year to see the updates. remember asking about the segotep gp-g and gp-t as it was best deal back then at around 50-60EUR. nobody knew too much about them except jonny guru who said they are solid, and some orion guy that had some insight. interesting too see them in tier A now

2 minutes ago, silverera99 said:

revisiting this thread after more than an year to see the updates. remember asking about the segotep gp-g and gp-t as it was best deal back then at around 50-60EUR. nobody knew too much about them except jonny guru who said they are solid, and some orion guy that had some insight. interesting too see them in tier A now

Enermax Platimax DF 500\600W uses Segotep\Fortech GP-G platform so it's indeed solid except for low-end capacitors but it would make a good budget PSU. There's only one review for GP-T and that platform isn't used anywhere else AFAIK but if we trust that one review it appears to be good too. And that Orion guy was actually a catalyst to why we added it.

4 hours ago, Juular said:

@Matheus642 Corsair CX-M isn't on the same level as the other ones. XFX XTR and Seasonic G are the same thing. XFX XTR2 are Seasonic Focus. But keep in mind that XFX are out of PSU business so there might be some problems with RMA \ warranty should the need for it arise. So if they're the same price i suggest Seasonic, it's older model but it's still quite good. Or you can give links to some local online stores for us to see if there's smth else. Better make a separate thread for that tho and ping me or Luke.

Thanks, i was close to get the xtr2 especially because it's slight cheaper than the rest...but now i'm kinda worried about the warranty,is it a common thing to have issues with this type of PSU ? also isn't having 100w more a nice thing for future upgrades ? Or should i just go for the safer option and buy the seasonic ?

9 hours ago, Matheus642 said:

is it a common thing to have issues with this type of PSU ?

Of course not, it's Seasonic you know, and they make the best PSUs ! /s

Seriously tho it should be fine, i'm not aware of some overwhelming issues with Seasonic Focus aside of tripping with AMD Vega.

9 hours ago, Matheus642 said:

also isn't having 100w more a nice thing for future upgrades ?

Depends. If you plan to slap 9900KS and RTX2080Ti there and render on it (not gaming which wouldn't draw more than 400W) then yes, otherwise 550W would be more than enough.

On 4/2/2020 at 3:24 PM, Juular said:

This just seems like CPU\RAM instability to me.

Turns out you were right. Disabling XMP profile eliminated my problem, guess my CPU or mobo are a bit old for 3200Mhz, though they technically support it. Funny thing is, several hours of OCCT CPU+Aida64 Memory stress testing couldn't force a reboot. I've been using this RAM for around 4 months without a problem, and first self-reboot just coincided with new PSU in the system, making me test all the wrong things first.

I'm happy it's not a PSU problem. Thanks for the help!

27 minutes ago, Nlelith said:

Turns out you were right. Disabling XMP profile eliminated my problem, guess my CPU or mobo are a bit old for 3200Mhz, though they technically support it. Funny thing is, several hours of OCCT CPU+Aida64 Memory stress testing couldn't force a reboot. I've been using this RAM for around 4 months without a problem, and first self-reboot just coincided with new PSU in the system, making me test all the wrong things first.

I'm happy it's not a PSU problem. Thanks for the help!

Did you update UEFI before that by any chance ? This could trigger it.

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

Did you update UEFI before that by any chance ? This could trigger it.

I did update last year, iirc, but that was even before getting new RAM.

Hey guys. My current PSU, a Corsair vengance 650m seems to be dying (pc restarts in games). I ordered a new PSU (Corsair RM750) as it was just 99,90€ on amazon.de. Then I read that the RM series is a tier 3 PSU (whatever that means) and not recommended. Is that true? I am running an i7 2600k with a 980 ti. Planning to upgrade to 2070 Super some time.

Thanks

3 minutes ago, reddevil1432 said:

Then I read that the RM series is a tier 3 PSU (whatever that means) and not recommended. 

You literally have a tier list here, it's tier A, if it's cheaper than smth like Corsair RMx or Seasonic Focus then it's a good pick 

1 hour ago, Juular said:

You literally have a tier list here, it's tier A, if it's cheaper than smth like Corsair RMx or Seasonic Focus then it's a good pick 

Sorry I misread the list to mean only RM 2013 is Tier A, and another comment that was talking about RM 2019 and Tier D. I am relieved it is Tier A. Thank you :)

11 minutes ago, alternxtive said:

Fan noise

That sounds more like coil whine to me but it could be bearing noise too. Either way, judging by the users feedback, i don't see any indications that it's very prevalent. Coil whine and fan problems could happen with any PSU, for example there are such reports for Corsair RMx and Seasonic Focus too. SPC PSUs are very popular in Poland and neighboring countries and there will be reports of such problems, it's completely different question on how prevalent they are. And we actually don't detier PSUs because of coil whine or fan noise problems, since this doesn't affect PSU performance.

I know that supervisor IC doesn't support OTP nor SPC claims it. Again, there's a lot of PSUs with supervisor IC that doesn't support OTP and\or where manufacturer doesn't claim OTP but it's still present, likely implemented through the fan controller. And again, as you see in that review i've linked before where reviewer actually made an effort to check for OTP, it is present.

15 hours ago, Juular said:

SPC PSUs are very popular in Poland

These "power supplies" are good as long as they work, the lower price does not come from anything for such less known brands - low quality control, frequent problems described on forums such as melted cables, loud fans, poor warranty service if something bad happens. It's better to spend more on something reputable and have peace and confidence.

8 minutes ago, Kaygooo said:

melted cables

Cables don't melt by themselves, usually that means a fuckup on user side, such as powering very high-end GPU with just one cable or using MOLEX to PCIe adaper and such. That would happen with any PSU.

loud fans

Again, we don't tier this, neither this problem usually considered to be a reason for RMA.

poor warranty service if something bad happens

We don't tier that either.

It's better to spend more on something reputable and have peace and confidence.

Sure, if you feel that you can spend more for Corsair\Seasonic\EVGA and such - why not. What's your point here specifically ?

If you're talking about some widespread problems with SPC PSUs specifically - sure, give some links to forums, user feedback on stores and such, we'll see.

5 minutes ago, Kaygooo said:

Sure, you can talk and ask a question about this topic for example on this group of enthusiasts https://www.facebook.com/groups/EHBastionPasjonatow/

There are little problem, i don't speak Polish, i can understand about 50% without Google Translate tho and honestly it's too much effort to that through translator. If anyone Polish here knows about any problems with these PSUs i'm open for discussion, and we do in fact have @OrionFOTL who doesn't seem to be aware of any major problems with these PSUs either.