[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

23 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

except that i'm highly questioning why you got about 3-4 times the wattage you're using in capacity here...

Probably muh "ideal efficiency at 50%", which isn't even true, nor is it 50% load ?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

42 minutes ago, Craxton said:

{ is this power supply one of which is DONT BUY on the list}

Even if you got the old version of the focus which had a problem with power spikes, you would probably get away with it because the 1000 watt rating means all the power spikes would still be far below the max rated output of the unit. 

Protip: don't buy 1000 watt power supplies for gaming PCs

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

25 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

this is the new (2019) focus GX, not the old one

except that i'm highly questioning why you got about 3-4 times the wattage you're using in capacity here...

as per anyone shooting over spec for wattage vs required..plud income tax money for the most part so....anyhow i have a cooler master master watt 650 bronze...worked flawelesly with this setup only with a 1660 super sc ultra, considering i changed my gpu i green screened upon stressing and gaming (dbz kakarot) so its either driver related  (not believing it was driver related) or powersupply related and as well checking the 12v 3.3v and 5v rails were all under spec (hwinfo or msi hwinfo monitors not using a multi meter) without being under load. which now they seem fine even under full load. anyhow this will suffice even if/when i choose to upgrade and get something to add with it. i wont have to worry about needing more power. i could have went with the cheaper 850platinum seasonic has to offer. but i had the money at the time and decided to just make it worth it so i would have options in the future. 

if i were to change my mind, i could still send this back and get a better cpu...but if this power supply is a decent one then i believe ill stay where im at atm. at least until i finish my old prebuilt setup which i swapped into my tower now. and took the cpu and ram back out. (r5 2400g) had 2x8 sticks of tLRED vulcan 2400mhz CL14 ram @ 3200mhz cl18.  putting the old pc mb into the tower i have now for my ol lady for school at home. 

5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Even if you got the old version of the focus which had a problem with power spikes, you would probably get away with it because the 1000 watt rating means all the power spikes would still be far below the max rated output of the unit. 

Protip: don't buy 1000 watt power supplies for gaming PCs

how would i know which version i got? the serial num starts with R19? is that how one would know? my house is old and isnt properly grounded thus im going to be running a surge protector.. didnt know this fact until yesterday when i was swapping some plugins. 

3 minutes ago, Craxton said:

how would i know which version i got? the serial num starts with R19? is that how one would know? my house is old and isnt properly grounded thus im going to be running a surge protector.. didnt know this fact until yesterday when i was swapping some plugins. 

The box says "Focus GX 1000", and you'll note that the Focus GX is tiered higher than the Focus FX

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

The box says "Focus GX 1000", and you'll note that the Focus GX is tiered higher than the Focus FX

the psu itself tho so this is why i came here to ask....

3.jpg

1 minute ago, Craxton said:

the psu itself tho so this is why i came here to ask...

The unit still says Focus GX, so you still know that's it's the new one

Primary PC:

The unit still says Focus GX, so you still know that's it's the new one

ok thanks for your time. btw one last thing, what would you have recommended the power usage total wattage needed for me to buy? no names just wattage??

Just now, Craxton said:

ok thanks for your time. btw one last thing, what would you have recommended the power usage total wattage needed for me to buy? no names just wattage??

550, honestly

4 minutes ago, Craxton said:

5700XT consumes less than 300 watts, the 1600 AF is about 85 (give or take) so at the very most you'd want a 650 watt PSU, and that's still a bit much.

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

550, honestly

so the power supply i had was fine then........ more or less driver issue is why i had crashes......

so the power supply i had was fine then........ more or less driver issue is why i had crashes......

if a psu cuts power it's actually a psu problem

otherwise generally driver issues

5700XT consumes less than 300 watts, the 1600 AF is about 85 (give or take) so at the very most you'd want a 650 watt PSU, and that's still a bit much.

with 10 120mm fans, the af @ 4.1 ghz, 3466 ram, an aio, ect ect...650...? what good are these ignorant calculators on all these brands websites if they over rate the system???? i can build i system but man o man do i got alot to learn about how power usage under max load ect works.... 

hat good are these ignorant calculators on all these brands websites if they over rate the system???

most terribly overestimate

what good are these ignorant calculators on all these brands websites if they over rate the system??

Power supply companies would rather like you to buy their more expensive power supplies, so they'll tell you that you need a lot more

Though I'm curious as to how you're getting 10 fans in one PC

Primary PC:

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

if a psu cuts power it's actually a psu problem

otherwise generally driver issues

the reason i said driver is bc since the new amd driver release for navi hit my psu is no longer hitting under 12 or under 3.3 12volt was 11.8ish and 3.3 was 3.28 yea still within spec but like i said the houses wiring isnt up to code. unless i didnt say it. i did now.

Power supply companies would rather like you to buy their more expensive power supplies, so they'll tell you that you need a lot more

Though I'm curious as to how you're getting 10 fans in one PC

sebray adv i have 7 ina mid tower now. push pull for aio 2 on top 1 at the back. 7 total. the adv has way more space. 3 can be used to blow towards the powersupply.

anyhow fellas im very appreciative all the help, but i gotta hang this tv on the wall, pull some base board from the wall, set up my nail gun, cut some...well yea and trace down these old wires in the attic to update it to code so i dont have an open ground circuit anymore.  i wouldnt have bothered anyone if this lineup on seasonics power supplies weren't so confusing. 

11 hours ago, Craxton said:

i have an option to return for full refund as well as they pay the shipping.

Don't return anything, FX is eol now anyway but it's a very good quality psu. The problems concerned small quantities of the first batches.
edit: You have new GX so don't worry.

Would Corsair CX550 be enough for Amd r5 3600 and Nvidia Rtx 2070 super

Or would need cx650.

What if overclock both cpu and gpu, even overclock ram and run like 5 fans and multiple ssds and hdds ?

2 minutes ago, Tim Serious said:

What if overclock both cpu and gpu, even overclock ram and run like 5 fans and multiple ssds and hdds ?

it would be

missing-image.svg

missing-image.svg

5 minutes ago, Tim Serious said:

Would Corsair CX550 be enough for Amd r5 3600 and Nvidia Rtx 2070 super

Or would need cx650.

I wouldn't recommend Corsair CX for this GPU depite 550W are enough per se, look at tier A, like Bitfenix Formula Gold \ Whisper, Corsair RMx, maybe TXm or RM if they're cheaper. Where are you buying from ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

9 minutes ago, Juular said:

I wouldn't recommend Corsair CX for this GPU depite 550W are enough per se, look at tier A, like Bitfenix Formula Gold \ Whisper, Corsair RMx, maybe TXm or RM if they're cheaper. Where are you buying from ?

India ..... No bitfenix is not available noone buys anything above Corsair cx here so prices are quite high for rmx txm or rm even cheapest rm doesn't start for less than 115$

Check this website 

https://www.theitdepot.com/products-PSU+(+Power+Supply+Units)_C14.html

10 minutes ago, Tim Serious said:

India ..... No bitfenix is not available noone buys anything above Corsair cx here so prices are quite high for rmx txm or rm even cheapest rm doesn't start for less than 130$.

I would recommend Antec HCG at least then.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

1 minute ago, Juular said:

I would recommend Antec HCG at least then.

Wait wasn't this at like tier d or something some time ago, now it's at A tier .... What changed ?