[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

4 hours ago, donut4490 said:

Isn't the EVGA G3 based on the Leadex II? Why are they in such different tiers? Trying to find a short 1000W+ PSU that won't catch on fire.

For what purpose ? If it's multi-GPU system then i assume you need short PSU because it's some cramped ITX\mATX case, you're doing it wrong then but look at be quiet Straight Power 11 maybe, it's just a bit lengthier than EVGA G3. If it's single-GPU system, you don't need 1000W for it unless you have OC'd TR 2990WX & RTX2080 Ti.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

@LukeSavenije, i don't see EVGA B3 in the tier list. According to this thread (external) and THG reviews, it has problems with OPP protection not kicking in when it should and thus frying the unit. So i assume it belongs in the tier D bin along with G3 & >1000W G5 ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

9 hours ago, Juular said:

If it's single-GPU system, you don't need 1000W for it unless you have OC'd TR 2990WX & RTX2080 Ti.

I have heard that you can do fine with a quality 850W unit even for that situation.  So I mocked up a crazy build with that CPU and GPU, added 8 DIMMs of RAM and 4x big 'ol HDD's , and it stands true.  If you consider that someone building one of these doesn't go as ham on the RAM and Storage, there's plenty of headroom to OC the CPU.  And even if they did have all that stuff I simulated, they'd really only need the 1000W for some extreme overclocking of the CPU and GPU:

What Full-HAM looks like in PCPartPicker

Also I added a G-Skill PSU as a comedy option.

5 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

I have heard that you can do fine with a quality 850W unit even for that situation.  So I mocked up a crazy build with that CPU and GPU, added 8 DIMMs of RAM and 4x big 'ol HDD's , and it stands true.  If you consider that someone building one of these doesn't go as ham on the RAM and Storage, there's plenty of headroom to OC the CPU.  And even if they did have all that stuff I simulated, they'd really only need the 1000W for some extreme overclocking of the CPU and GPU:

What Full-HAM looks like in PCPartPicker

Also I added a G-Skill PSU as a comedy option.

PCPP's wattage estimate doesn't mean anything. This is how they got to that number...

Spoiler

image.png.63b8206b89fa039d6f398d448af076be.png

:)

9 minutes ago, seon123 said:

PCPP's wattage estimate doesn't mean anything. This is how they got to that number...

-snipped image-

Yeah I know it's not super detailed but as rough math it seems logical.  What would you come back with as a list instead then as an "accurate" way to measure the power supply requirements of such a system?

Edit:  I hear that Outervision is known to over-estimate often, so here's what their calc comes out to:  https://outervision.com/b/oaewFg

Still not that much higher than PCPartPicker's based on TDP, and I even tweaked more dials like bumping the GPU voltage a smidge.

Edited by LogicWeasel

What about Cooler Master MWE V2? Does that include the white rating or only bronze and above?

21 minutes ago, Xirb said:

What about Cooler Master MWE V2? Does that include the white rating or only bronze and above?

it includes both, but it's an estimated position for now

Would you still rate the Gigabyte G750H at B?

Current rig

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X  | Cooling: Wraith Prism stock cooler for now, NZXT Kraken X62 soon | MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3000MhzCL16 g.skill Trident Z Neo | 

GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X | PSU: Corsair RM650(2019)   Boot:  500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD  | Storage: 1x 1TB WD Blue (WD10EZEX) HDD | Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 w/o ODD | Display: Acer Nitro XV2 XV272UP 1440p 144Hz | OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Old rig

CPU: Intel Core i5 7500  | Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock | MOBO: ASUS Prime Z270-K | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3000mhzCL15 Corsair Vengeance RGB with heatcage on top (predecessor of RGB Pro ram) | GPU: AMD Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB | PSU: Corsair TXM550 80+ Gold   Boot:  500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD  | HDD: 1TB 7200 RPM Seagate Barracuda  | Case: Cooltek TG-01 | Display: ASUS VX238H | OS: Windows 10 Pro.

1 hour ago, TsubasaLi said:

Would you still rate the Gigabyte G750H at B?

oh, i forgot to add that one back... it would be in tier b+, as it shares platforms with many others in the tier b+ list

Will i be alright with tier B+ psu?

And how much watt do you think i will need?

My build is :

Msi b450m pro vdh v2.

Ryzen 5 2600.

Msi radeon rx570 armor mk.2 8gb oc.

Corsair vengeance lpx 16gb 2x8 3200mhz.

Seagate barracuda 3.5" 1tb sata3

Please help.

8 minutes ago, Revalleria said:

Will i be alright with tier B+ psu?

And how much watt do you think i will need?

My build is :

Msi b450m pro vdh v2.

Ryzen 5 2600.

Msi radeon rx570 armor mk.2 8gb oc.

Corsair vengeance lpx 16gb 2x8 3200mhz.

Seagate barracuda 3.5" 1tb sata3

Please help.

It would be better for you to create your own topic with a request for PSU advice, specific to your planned build, your budget, and your location, which influences the availability and prices of different PSUs.

I wonder why my other GM Cooler Master Power Supply blew up in a shorter time than my “D tier” Power Supply (that has not even seen the slightest sign of failure) but okay whatever it can't run on “120v” OR it has “high temperature tolerance” which is actually just a statement that it doesn't work in America so there before it's TRASH. We have the other things like the efficiency or whatever look it's designed for the European market and it had been running fine so it's proven itself a better PSU that is BETTER like that Cooler Master or one according to this LIST won't help much if you had a wall socket that was not properly GROUNDED. And it shorted out the 24-pin on the motherboard which was a FIRST revision motherboard so duh it blew up by shorting it out in a chain reaction and it proves that Cooler Master is hot garbage in their cheap department. And the warranty on these things expire after 15 YEARS anyway and there is no way to perform a visual inspection if you don't know/don't have the equipment so just using common sense plugging things correctly grounding it whatever if your day is unlucky you'll die and if that day is for your computer that'll die and by the time that happens it served me okay just replacing the thing okay sure but what'll change then could've been a ripoff used or out of the manufacture faults DOA's too and you'll then be fucked anyways.... better stay the way it is until you see something fishy in HWmonitor Software or EUFI BIOS checks everyday of anything fishy and hope it doesn't blow up :D well by that time who knows i have on my wallet to go straight up to Tech Yes City again or something ;)

1 hour ago, Redicat said:

image.png.a0eb60f7c5efce9e06d8d0b5dd6a2e2d.png

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I hope someone could answer me this. In the Tier A list there is the Kolink Continuum, kolink being a rather unknown brand. Now, I'm looking for a power supply and their Core series seems rather cheap. For example this one
(Also I'm in UK so power supplies aren't so cheap like in US)

5 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

I hope someone could answer me this. In the Tier A list there is the Kolink Continuum, kolink being a rather unknown brand. Now, I'm looking for a power supply and their Core series seems rather cheap. For example this one
(Also I'm in UK so power supplies aren't so cheap like in US)

Never heard of that brand, but the Continuum and Core are two different series and probably quite different in quality.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

8 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

For example this one

tweakpc actually did a review on it

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tweakpc.de%2Fhardware%2Ftests%2Fnetzteile%2Fkolink_kl_c500%2Fs01.php&edit-text=

unfortunately 12v goes pretty high at 12.4 on crossloads, as well as the 3.3v doing a bit weird at high loads 

1 minute ago, MEC-777 said:

Never heard of that brand, but the Continuum and Core are two different series and probably quite different in quality.

Well it's quite a tight budget in all honesty and it's only going to power like a 3rd gen i5 no overclocking and I'm thinking of like a gtx 670 perhaps, however I haven't decided yet, and neither bought any parts.

Now there's also the Aero Cool Integrator OEM. This one has more reviews overall and they all seem to be positive except for one which just doesn't say much about the product. Both the kolink and the AeroCool have one year warranty.

Might as well consider an EVGA power supply, they're only like 40£ for a bronze PSU.

Also, I've just recently found an ad for an evga 500w 80+ white power supply for like 20£. Are they any good?

4 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

evga 500w 80+ white power supply for like 20£

evga w1? wouldn't consider it personally

if you want something decent, pay up

What is meant by ICP, listed under requirements for Tier C and above in the OP?

Tier C is required to have OPP, SCP, ICP, UVP, OVP and meet c6/c7 sleep states.

Tier D is everything that falls short of the other tier's requirements, but can only have a potential to be dangerous in certain situations.

I've checked manuals and datasheets for a number of PSUs, Googled "ICP", read multiple articles about how to buy a power supply, I can't find anything remotely relevant.

Seasonic Focus Gold 550W (Focus GX) is listed in Tier A, but makes no mention of ICP on the datasheet that lists all the other protections.

See here:

https://seasonic.com/pub/media/pdf/consumer/datasheet/FOCUS-PLUS-Gold-FX.pdf

Just now, Adreaver said:

What is meant by ICP, listed under requirements for Tier C and above in the OP?

inrush current protection

it's part of the list i need to change with a next big update anyways

Hey, I'm new here. Is SUPER FLOWER 650W LEADEX II good or Corxair Txm 650w or Corsair Rm650? Any recommendation??