[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

12 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

seasonic, for some reason, is still very popular among people. 

back when I made my first pc it was one of the top brand for PSU alongside Enermax, I don't know if/when things have changed.. :(

2020 AMD Build:

Ryzen 3800x - Asus TUF x570 - Crucial Ballistix 16GB 3600cl16 - ROG Strix GTX1070 OC 8G - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W - Sabrent Rocket 1TB

2012 Intel Build:

Intel i5-3570k @4.0Ghz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866 - XFX HD7970 GHz - Enermax Revolution87+ 650w - Crucial MX500 500GB

2 minutes ago, Trentonxx said:

back when I made my first pc it was one of the top brand for PSU alongside Enermax, I don't know if/when things have changed.. :(

reputation wise, that really hasnt changed for seasonic. 

their top end products are good. lower end? not so much. 

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

lower end? not so much. 

that's something I couldn't explain from looking at this Tier list.
like... a brand like Antec has 1 spot on the Tier S, then one in B and finally all their lineup in the "Tier D - Potentially dangerous"

how is it even possible? like: "oh yeah we make cheap and low quality power supply but let's build one of the best with every right component in the right place"??

also some brands that only make Power Supplies are expected to have a better quality than brands who sell 20 different kinds of products from RAM to Cases

it also gets more confusing with brands like Corsair which has a complicated naming scheme, with refurbished or re-branded psu from other vendors.

I used to browse jonnyguru.com to get the last word on the quality of a PSU before adding it to the cart. but his reputation on here and reddit seems controversial lately :/

2020 AMD Build:

Ryzen 3800x - Asus TUF x570 - Crucial Ballistix 16GB 3600cl16 - ROG Strix GTX1070 OC 8G - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W - Sabrent Rocket 1TB

2012 Intel Build:

Intel i5-3570k @4.0Ghz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866 - XFX HD7970 GHz - Enermax Revolution87+ 650w - Crucial MX500 500GB

Hi just want to ask, is silverstone essential et550-hg good enough?

My rig 

R5 3600 stock

Msi rx 5600xt updated bios

2x8g team elite pc3000

Msi b450a pro max

1 ssd

2 hdd 

5 fan

Thx in advance

2 minutes ago, Trentonxx said:

how is it even possible?

because they dont make the PSUs. they contract people to do that for them. 

the top tier unit being a Delta GM. 

3 minutes ago, Trentonxx said:

but his reputation on here and reddit seems controversial lately :/

nah, jonny is still good. dont see why anyone would see him as controversial. 

4 minutes ago, Trentonxx said:

it also gets more confusing with brands like Corsair which has a complicated naming scheme, with refurbished or re-branded psu from other vendors.

corsair contract people to make their PSUs. and their current naming scheme is fairly good actually. if you know the names that is. 

and in terms of naming schemes, Corsair is by far not the worst. 

thanks!

2020 AMD Build:

2012 Intel Build:

53 minutes ago, Trentonxx said:

a brand like Antec has 1 spot on the Tier S, then one in B and finally all their lineup in the "Tier D - Potentially dangerous"

Because tier S one are manufactured by Delta and almost all other units are made by Seasonic, and most of their modern lineup are in tier D+ because of issues with the Seasonic platform, that's the topic for evergoing debate on this thread, look no further than the previous page and you'll see why. It's not like Seasonic are bad, but that particular platform (Focus FX) had issues, were replaced with newer revision (Focus GX) but people still freak out why we put it in tier D+ despite they wouldn't just make a new SKU out of thin air and discontinue old one if it were performing without issues. Until it would be confirmed that Antec (and other Focus FX rebrands) use Focus GX in newer revision, it doesn't make sense to move them back to tier A, there are a lot of other options, better to get a good PSU from other brand that would work reliably than one from 'respectable' brand - Seasonic, which possibly would cause you problems.

also some brands that only make Power Supplies are expected to have a better quality than brands who sell 20 different kinds of products from RAM to Cases

No idea why people think like that, it doesn't make any sense. Regardless, it's not about the brand but specific hardware in question. As you see, neither a PSU-only brand like Seasonic are safe from mistakes nor relatively unknown brands like Bitfenix or wide-spectre brands like Corsair and EVGA are bound to make trash.

Almost all units in this tier list aren't made by the brand-name, only Seasonic and Super Flower sell their PSUs under their own brand, but again, that doesn't mean anything, look at the performance of hardware, not the brand.

I used to browse jonnyguru.com to get the last word on the quality of a PSU before adding it to the cart. but his reputation on here and reddit seems controversial lately :/

Fist of all, he doesn't review PSUs for a long time already, all latest reviews there are from OklahomaWolf. I guess, because he doesn't have much free time now, working with Corsair, nor it's ethically right to review other brand PSUs if you work for Corsair and he understands that. So i have no idea where that came from. For the good source on PSU reviews, Aris is currently the man to go, he makes reviews for THG, TweakTown and tests them for Cybenetics.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

1 hour ago, Bramez said:

Hi just want to ask, is silverstone essential et550-hg good enough?

For this GPU - yes, it might whine with smth more powerful tho.

Question but how models like mwe v2 80+ who are not even bronze manage to be in the same tier as other products that even have gold certification?

4 minutes ago, Lucolate said:

Question but how models like mwe v2 80+ who are not even bronze manage to be in the same tier as other products that even have gold certification?

well... this does show 80+ rating doesn't equal quality

mwe v2 is one of the few LLC half bridges (or rather, the only one i've seen on consumer), except that it needs a fix on the 10% ripple which should be done in around a month according to cm, it might even go up to b+ for this

5 minutes ago, Lucolate said:

The 80+ rating only rates the efficiency. It says nothing about how good a PSU is. You can make a terrible PSU that's very efficient, and you can make an excellent PSU that's not very efficient.

:)

Thank you both for the heads up and i will probably sound weird for asking this but how such issues like:

30 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

needs a fix on the 10% ripple which should be done in around a month according to cm, it might even go up to b+ for this

can be fixed when the product is allready out in the wild?

5 minutes ago, ShoByte said:

What is the difference? Both are PX models. Are they the same just labeled differently?

the first is the 2017 model, the second the 2019 model

since the 2017 model had the ripple issues, hence it being in tier d+ currently, i would recommend getting the 2019 version of it, since it has those fixed

3 minutes ago, Lucolate said:

can be fixed when the product is allready out in the wild?

they're bringing out a second revision without semi-fanless mode, but yes, they can

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

the first is the 2017 model, the second the 2019 model

since the 2017 model had the ripple issues, hence it being in tier d+ currently, i would recommend getting the 2019 version of it, since it has those fixed

Only the FM and FX models are listed in D+ I do not see 2017 PX

2 minutes ago, ShoByte said:

Only the FM and FX models are listed in D+ I do not see 2017 PX

that's indeed an error from my side... the px 2017 did have those issues i mentioned

My choices are, because of my cable mods cables

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/VfM323

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/kjZzK8

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/DRVG3C/asus-rog-strix-650-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-rog-strix-650g

I didn't see any mention of monitoring software for the asus. I'm assuming you have it as either or. However, I don't see digital circuit documented anywhere.

The prime gold is $17 cheaper than the PX platinum. I'm leaning towards the prime gold unless there is a reason to get the asus or the seasonic GX plat.

There is phanteks, but i'm not paying $30 shipping.

Is Strix no longer old FX-based? It ought to stay on the same tier as FX if it is, unless it's an NZXT E situation, I would assume?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

Came to here because looking to get a new psu.

No sure why it under "TIER E - DANGEROUS" XDD

but I got myself Corsair VS650 back then in 2014 and it only started to occur problem (power on problem) last month after I changed RTX 2060

My system:

i7 4790, 16GB DDR3,

from GTX 650 > 950 > 1060 > 2060

PC powered on at least 6 hours per day now, back then 24/7 in my 3 years of college year.

Thanks "TIER E" psu for serving me for more than 6 years. XD

Anyone know where the Lepa G Series 1600w 80+ gold unit sits at? Its a pretty old psu but if the quality is decent enough, I want to pick it up for my torture bench for multi-gpu testing and overclocking.

20 minutes ago, Troika said:

Anyone know where the Lepa G Series 1600w 80+ gold unit sits at? Its a pretty old psu but if the quality is decent enough, I want to pick it up for my torture bench for multi-gpu testing and overclocking.

on the legacy-legacy list it is located at Tier A. dont know how that would translate to today. 

do you need 1600w? because you can go for higher end powersupplies that are a little less wattage around the same price. 

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

on the legacy-legacy list it is located at Tier A. dont know how that would translate to today. 

do you need 1600w? because you can go for higher end powersupplies that are a little less wattage around the same price. 

From what I remember about the unit it would probably be in somewhere around B+.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 hour ago, Troika said:

Full-bridge, complete protections set but can't find any info of whether it supports c6\c7 power states, probably not since it were released in 2013 but it may still be able to cope with c6\c7 crossloads, so if it does it would've been at tier A. Although, if you have any other options from tier A\A+ with maybe 1200W (enough for two RTX2080TI's with Threadripper) i'd recommend to pick them instead.

2 hours ago, huangorino said:

Thanks "TIER E" psu for serving me for more than 6 years. XD

It's not like tier E units are guaranteed bombs (some of them are tho), but they're definitely not capable of handling modern PCs properly (mainly because they're group regulated) and the fact that it doesn't go well with RTX2060 shows that. They may work well for years and then suddenly smth goes wrong because they emit shitload of ripple, voltage regulation may go wildly out of spec and this stresses every other component. Just don't use them in modern PC (post-Haswell CPU with any discrete GPU that has PCI-e power connectors) and even for low-tier PCs there's still very cheap but way better options like Corsair CX450 or maybe smth like Seasonic S12lll \ EVGA BR if you're really short of money.

8 hours ago, ShoByte said:

My choices are, because of my cable mods cables

I'd go with PRIME Ultra Gold. ASUS Strix isn't confirmed to switch for Focus GX so it's not clear if it really doesn't suffer from the issues with Focus FX platform and Focus PX are just more expensive.