[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

52 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

it's in the same tier as the platform it's based off, known as Seasonic's s12g

you mean the 2.52's? not currently taken into ranking. it does meet c6/c7 sleep states, if that's what you meant

it's not a bad psu, it's just rather outdated. if you're spending this much money and the psu is already 5 years old or so, you might as well, with this kinds of budget

Thank you for the swift reply Luke! 

I know the TS Gold supports c6/c7 sleep states, or "Haswell ready" as the marketing term goes. I meant 2.52's, although I did not know the exact term :D 

As far as I know based on my research, only the 2019 Corsair RM series support this feature. So I am currently looking at the RM 750 2019 model priced at around 115 US dollars here in Denmark. Or do you think a TXM 750 will work just as good? (priced at around 90 US dollars). Not sure if the new 2.52's sleep state is worth considering since the PC will be on 24/7.

This build is on a pretty tight budget actually and we already have the 2080 Ti in a machine running on the XFX TS 750 Gold. So buying a new PSU will probably mean lowering the amount of RAM to 64 GB instead of 128 to start with. If we do get a new PSU, will the XFX TS 750 Gold be able to reliably power up the following secondary build?:

Xeon E3 1245 v3

32 GB DDR3

GTX 1080

Ever since I've seen the TS Gold dropping so much on the Tier List, I am looking at it with skeptical eyes now. 

45 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

is this a new build? irrelevant to the PSU question, but id probably reconsider the hardware unless you are an avid user of avx 512. 

Everything is new except the 2080 Ti which we already have. The machine will be used to create and render large photo-realistic 3D environments using Blender and Unreal Engine 4, physics simulations and video editing. Do you think a Xeon and ECC memory is more appropriate for this use case? I have read that the new Core X line-up is just as focused on productivity work as their Xeon brethren. What would you recommend? 

Unfortunately we cannot go on the AMD route, as most of the tools and plugins we use are custom made for Intel and nvidia.

8 minutes ago, Visometric said:

As far as I know based on my research, only the 2019 Corsair RM series support this feature

some others do too, but i can't name many on the top of my head. i know my focus GX does for example.

9 minutes ago, Visometric said:

Not sure if the new 2.52's sleep state is worth considering since the PC will be on 24/7.

are they running on full load or a lot of idling? 2.52 only has a requirement for 2% load efficiency

16 minutes ago, Visometric said:

will the XFX TS 750 Gold be able to reliably power up the following secondary build?:

that'll be fine

16 minutes ago, Visometric said:

Ever since I've seen the TS Gold dropping so much on the Tier List, I am looking at it with skeptical eyes now. 

it's mostly due to changes in methodology between 3.0 and 4.0. tier B is still fine to use with modern systems, but it's more or less something more budget oriented

36 minutes ago, GreY2231 said:

or 2 days now whenever I'm playing a game the computer will randomly shut off completely and restart.

that's something more for the troubleshooting subforum, not this thread

powerwise it should be totally fine

33 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

some others do too, but i can't name many on the top of my head. i know my focus GX does for example.

are they running on full load or a lot of idling? 2.52 only has a requirement for 2% load efficiency

that'll be fine

it's mostly due to changes in methodology between 3.0 and 4.0. tier B is still fine to use with modern systems, but it's more or less something more budget oriented

Now that I think of it, the machine will probably end up idling alot during the night. We normally set up batch renderings over night, but in some cases it finishes the job around 2-3 AM and will not be used until 8 AM.

Thanks for the info Luke! Your advice is really helpful.

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

that's something more for the troubleshooting subforum, not this thread

powerwise it should be totally fine

Ok. I only posted it here since I was recommended this PSU in here. I will post it there then.

How can I tell if a Corsair RMx series is the 2015 or 2018? I am specifically looking at a Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold on Amazon.de for about 114€

Link to PSU on Amazon.de 

6 hours ago, GreY2231 said:

How can I tell if a Corsair RMx series is the 2015 or 2018? I am specifically looking at a Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold on Amazon.de for about 114€

Link to PSU on Amazon.de 

They have different part numbers, 2015 one starts with CP-902009 (as in designed in 2009) and 2018 one with CP-902017, aside of that they're difficult to distinguish externally, 2018 one are shorter but that's it and there's no telling if retailers will include right images. In any case it doesn't really matter, JG says that 2015 are better internally (since they're based on different platforms, with 2018 one being an attempt to make it cheaper to produce) but Aris says that 2018 are just a hair better performance wise so don't worry about that much.

Edit: Also, i think that Corsair officially refers to 2018 version as "Corsair RMX (2018)", i.e including the year so if you don't see the year it most likely 2015 version.

Edit 2: 2018 version also has in-cable capacitors but that's even less reliable way to distinguish them assuming that retailer even includes a photo of cables at all.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

2 hours ago, GreY2231 said:

Link to PSU on Amazon.de 

The 2018 version of the higher wattage models is 16cm long, vs 18cm on the older ones. Either model is fine, though the 2015 is arguably better.

:)

2 hours ago, GreY2231 said:

Link to PSU on Amazon.de 

You're trying to replace Xilence PSU ? Why 750W ? 550W will be more than enough. And again, the issues you've described don't look like PSU problem. And even if they are, did you contact Xilence support ?

21 minutes ago, Juular said:

You're trying to replace Xilence PSU ? Why 750W ? 550W will be more than enough. And again, the issues you've described don't look like PSU problem. And even if they are, did you contact Xilence support ?

just so i've said it... xilence is in germany, under the official name of Listan. but otherwise i fully agree

@GreY2231

I'm having problems with the Xilence 550w that I never had with my Sharkoon Silentstorm Icewind edition. I also swapped it out for another PSU with higher wattage and no problem. I just think either I got a bad one or the 550w is not enough (I'm also overclocking) So i will return the xilence and buy the Corsair. they even have a 10 year warranty, the Xilence does not and the seller even states only 1 year. It's also obvious that the Corsair is way better. I'd rather have too high Wattage and than dance on the limit. Plus from my Sharkoon that I sent back I'll get 83€ back (I bought it used on ebay for 40€ but the seller gave me his bill of sale and said I am allowed to return it) and I will use that to buy the corsair. 

45 minutes ago, GreY2231 said:

I'd rather have too high Wattage and than dance on the limit.

power-gaming.png

550W are enough.

46 minutes ago, GreY2231 said:

It's also obvious that the Corsair is way better.

It's true but that PSU you were recommended ain't particularly bad either. Again, your best bet are to work with Xilence support, RMA the PSU, shit happens, they should readily replace it because you've confirmed that your PC works on your old PSU but doesn't with this one.

Also, did you try to clear CMOS ? While unlikely, it worth a shot,

I also found out what my problem is with this PSU. My GTX 980ti is too power hungry. Listed on Palit my 980ti pulls alone 280W and they recommend at least a 600w. my 4690k OC'd to 4.2 pulls 180W. upon install I had a lot of problems with the 550. I did a cmos clear and that helped the contant hanging and no start up issues. I still have moments where it will freeze at the loading screen (Where you can enter Bios) and now I put my GTX 970 gaming back in since they are rated at 148w. I will try a test to see if it crashes again. I still do not think 550w is ok for my setup. 

11 minutes ago, GreY2231 said:

I also found out what my problem is with this PSU. My GTX 980ti is too power hungry. Listed on Palit my 980ti pulls alone 280W and they recommend at least a 600w. my 4690k OC'd to 4.2 pulls 180W. upon install I had a lot of problems with the 550. I did a cmos clear and that helped the contant hanging and no start up issues. I still have moments where it will freeze at the loading screen (Where you can enter Bios) and now I put my GTX 970 gaming back in since they are rated at 148w. I will try a test to see if it crashes again. I still do not think 550w is ok for my setup. 

1. PC doesn't pull it's maximum possible power draw at startup, it's barely about 100W there maybe.

2. Even at full load good 550W PSU are enough for 980Ti + 4690k, as you can see 280+180 = 460W (and even then it wouldn't draw nearly as much in gaming), there are still about 100W headroom for all other components.

3. The reason why GPU manufacturers tend to recommend PSUs with considerably higher power rating that needed are to accommodate for transient current spikes, with modern PSUs that's really not a problem, they have OCP set to 30-40% over rated values. Can't find real OCP values for Xilence Performance X but it should be on par too as it uses modern LLC resonant topology.

4. The only cause of the problems you're having are defective PSU, maybe it's outputting too much ripple or voltage are wildly out of nominal, either way, RMA it.

Yeah it's going back for sure. Under normal conditions it's fine. Once I start a raid in escape from Tarkov (best example) as soon as the raid starts, PC shuts off. While in the menus or character screen, it's ok. World of Tanks/Warships also ok. 

5 minutes ago, GreY2231 said:

Yeah it's going back for sure. Under normal conditions it's fine. Once I start a raid in escape from Tarkov (best example) as soon as the raid starts, PC shuts off. While in the menus or character screen, it's ok. World of Tanks/Warships also ok. 

But with 980 Ti it doesn't even startup right ? Dude, RMA it.

And these are problems I've only noticed using a lower wattage psu. The last 2 years I've been using my setup with a 750w psu I've never had any problems. 

1 minute ago, Juular said:

But with 980 Ti it doesn't even startup right ? Dude, RMA it.

It starts fine. Sometimes it hangs on bios startup but maybe once out of 5 start ups. And only started having these problems with this psu. The 980ti is fine.

2 minutes ago, GreY2231 said:

And these are problems I've only noticed using a lower wattage psu. The last 2 years I've been using my setup with a 750w psu I've never had any problems. 

You're not listening to me. It's not about wattage, 550W are enough. Your PSU are faulty, previous one weren't (at least to the same degree). RMA it. End of discussion. If you still want to buy a new one, Corsair RMx would be good, sure.

XFX Pro Black FM 750w is listed twice on this list:

Under Tier A: Pro Black FM 750w+
Under Tier B: Pro Black FM 750w

So is Tier A referring to wattage above 750 (not including 750)?

21 hours ago, Red8s said:

So is Tier A referring to wattage above 750 (not including 750)?

that's indeed my mistake, it should be 850+

fixing right away

How about the Thermaltake Smort RGB 500w that I'm currently using? It's been reliable so far, only complaint is that the RGB fan was hella loud so I replaced it.

11 minutes ago, ZzLy said:

How about the Thermaltake Smort RGB 500w that I'm currently using? It's been reliable so far, only complaint is that the RGB fan was hella loud so I replaced it.

from what i know the same thing as the normal smart, just with an rgb fan

Probably a redundant question but does  Coolermaster MWE White 230 V2 80+ belongs in the same category as " MWE 80+ V2" thats listed in Tier B?

The White suffix kinda throws me off and it has different model number than the mwe bronze v2 so just want to make sure if its considered as a decent psu

10 minutes ago, Urhen said:

MWE White 230 V2 80+ belongs in the same category as " MWE 80+ V2" thats listed in Tier B?

it does, the difference is as it says it only accepts 230v, not 110v for example

11 minutes ago, Urhen said:

The White suffix kinda throws me off

surprisingly, this is probably the best 80+ psu I've ever seen on consumer market