[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

1 minute ago, dopedaf said:

hmm so does that mean in my case, the 12V4 connector has 4 "breakers", 12V3 has 3 such breakers? so wouldnt it be better to connect to 12V4 one than to connect to 12V1? 

Nope, each of the 4 rails are separate breaker, connectors grouped under say 12V4 label use rail #4 etc.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Just now, Juular said:

Nope, each of the 4 rails are separate breaker, connectors grouped under say 12V4 label use rail #4 etc.

ugh I cant make sense with this stuff. To quote @LukeSavenije "every rail is a "breaker", if i have 4 it's 25a"

So my Antec HCP has 4 rails right? How does the above analogy apply to 12V1, 12V2, 12V3 and 12V4 ?

3 minutes ago, dopedaf said:

ugh I cant make sense with this stuff. To quote @LukeSavenije "every rail is a "breaker", if i have 4 it's 25a"

So my Antec HCP has 4 rails right? How does the above analogy apply to 12V1, 12V2, 12V3 and 12V4 ?

Out of my head, i don't know what specific unit you has :

Rail #1 - Motherboard 24-pin & peripheral connectors, 2x CPU\GPU additional power connectors (12V1), total limit 40A

Rail #2 - 2x CPU\GPU additional power connectors (12V2), total limit 40A

Rail #3 - 3x CPU\GPU additional power connectors (12V3), total limit 40A

Rail #4 - 3x CPU\GPU additional power connectors (12V4), total limit 40A

36 minutes ago, dopedaf said:

hmm so does that mean in my case, the 12V4 connector has 4 "breakers", 12V3 has 3 such breakers? so wouldnt it be better to connect to 12V4 one than to connect to 12V1? 

To Keep things simple 

How your household circuit breaker is configiured is according to the wirings running through the walls connected to it  , as according to the thickness of the wires the suitable circuit breaker is chosen so that it would trip before reaching a current that is too high for the wires and would generate heat that could melt the insulation 

The same thing is done in the Multirail PSU , it has individual Over Current Protectors (the equivilant of  a houshold circuit breaker in this analogy) for each cable you connect to the PSU ,  that is set at a value of specefic current ( usually 40A) to prevent these cables from carrying too much current that would generate heat and melt the wires insulation 

Some Digital PSU take it a step further like the corsair AXi series and lets you control the trigger point of the OCP 

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

7 minutes ago, dopedaf said:

it means that you have 4 breakers in your house, to say it simply

so 12v1 is breaker 1, 12v2 is breaker 2 and so on

I see I see. It makes sense now I suppose. So each of the individual 12V1 to 12V4 are over current protected individually, that is, the total current for all the sockets in a particular rail (lets say 12V3) will not exceed 40A.

So in that sense, all of the 12V1 to 12V4 are identical and wont make a difference if I connect my GPU to #2 or #4.

What is said above it correct right?

So if thats how it is, what would be the benefit of connecting CPU, GPU, and mobo to different rails?

@LukeSavenije @Mezoxin @Juular

So in that sense, all of the 12V1 to 12V4 are identical and wont make a difference if I connect my GPU to #2 or #4.

Yep, as long as you connect all power connectors for each single GPU to their respective separate rails.

So if thats how it is, what would be the benefit of connecting CPU, GPU, and mobo to different rails?

No benefit really it's just that if you would connect everything to one rail it may trip with high power draw GPU\CPU.

if a user doesnt have multirail and connects lets say two 2080ti to a single cable , there is a chance that this cable will overload and melt since there is no OCP set point available that will protect this cable 

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

I see I see makes lots of sense to have multi rail on big PSUs. Thanks a lot people, I appreciate the help. 

BTW, I am building my first ever PC tomorrow, wish me luck! I hope it boots in the first try!

I see I see makes lots of sense to have multi rail on big PSUs

See Seasonic ? You've lost yet another customer.

I am building my first ever PC tomorrow, wish me luck! I hope it boots in the first try!

Good luck !

Just now, Juular said:

Good luck !

Thanks you. BTW its a 3950X beast ❤️ (i wanna show offf hehe)

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

not just seasonic, unfortunately

superflower only has single rails these days as well, and go to a shocking 2500w with it, all on a single 12v rail. in defense of seasonic they "only" go up to 1600w

but this all is why i'm a big fan of well configured multirail units, even if some don't agree with me

and some companies know that from me now

14 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

It's just that Seasonic are considered by some to be 'the best PSU manufacturer' out there, not far from the truth but it's really a shame to not have any multi-rail units for them and even those they have are far from perfect (way better than most of EVGA's product stack for example but still). And the main argument is that 'they make their own PSUs, therefore they're better', yeah, really ? I'm not even sure where all these Seasonic fanboys come from, might be some marketing campaign on YT \ Twitch \ whatever.

27 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

superflower only has single rails these days as well, and go to a shocking 2500w with it, all on a single 12v rail. in defense of seasonic they "only" go up to 1600w

but this all is why i'm a big fan of well configured multirail units, even if some don't agree with me

and some companies know that from me now

Yeah that was one of the reasons why i got the Rmi 850w instead of the seasonic prime ultra 1000w although they were equally priced 

to be fair the only possible scenario for which a dangerous flow of high current through one of the "single rail configured "PSU cables would be pinched wires or broken connectors , other than that the manufacterers do design their cables to carry a maximum number of connectors that would force the user to use multiple cables for high power components , unless the user decides to daisy chain them using 3rd part extensions 

and although this is a very low probability scenario I see multirail OCP  far more important than spending extra money for meaningless increase in effeciency with titanium and platinum and all that nonsense

PC Part Picker

On 12/13/2019 at 1:42 AM, LienusLateTips said:

That's the new one. You can tell by the label colour.

Blue = old, gray = new.

thank you for the confirmation... as I have seen some are wondering why I buy the PSU so long in advance: its because the discount of 10% only is valid till end of this year.. and since corsair has a 10year warranty it wouldn't be any problem if I were to find out in june that the psu has a defect.

Regarding the 1000 wattage: I have taken the current equivalent parts as an example and used all psu calculators (from seasonic, be quiet  and coolermaster) and they all say an overclocked rtx2080ti + an overclocked 9900k + the fans + drives and 4x ram will consume 670-700W  (I know Ampere architecture  will use smaller , more efficient node but the performance will be much greater than 2080ti too so it's realistic to say 250w for the 3080ti..and since intel stays at 10nm and just adds 2 more cores from 9900 to 10900k its a sure thing that at 5.0ghz all core -which I want to reach-  it will also need about 250w.

For the guys making fun of me a few posts back:

I am willing to bet that Ampere's top card which will be released (or at least announced) in April will be called 3080ti.. Unfortunately such a bet would never take place since I know no one here is dumb enough to bet against such a highly probable thing.

And as far as Intel is concerned: the names have already been leaked..so it's not even a probability anymore..it's a sure thing. You guys should watch leaks and rumors more closely..then you would know..

2 minutes ago, SeasonicPSU said:

overclocked rtx2080ti + an overclocked 9900k + the fans + drives and 4x ram will consume 670-700W

That's 95% percentile OC (under air\AIO) in stress-tests and even then are close to peak power draw. But since you're already spending a shitton of money on these parts there's no arguing on buying 1kW PSU really even if it's an overkill.

@LukeSavenije why are SF Leadex III in tier D+ ? It has the same problems as EVGA G3 ? Close enough platform ? I've just heard that G3 are neither Leadex II nor III but smth in between.

2 minutes ago, Mezoxin said:

be fair the only possible scenario for which a dangerous flow of high current through one of the PSU cables would be pinched wires or broken connectors

and even then the OCP or SCP should be earlier than it burning, but you know... it's for that once in many cases

7 minutes ago, SeasonicPSU said:

You guys should watch leaks and rumors more closely..then you would know..

sorry, i don't read things people just make up

and for the notice: seasonic/outervision heavily overestimates on wattage from my experience and testing

1 minute ago, Juular said:

@LukeSavenije why are SF Leadex III in tier D+ ? It has the same problems as EVGA G3 ? Close enough platform ? I've just heard that G3 are neither Leadex II nor III but smth in between.

well... the G3 was the base of the Leadex III, but fixed the problems that G3 had with it's protections, even if still rather high set. it's more because it dropped down to 11.4v in review, but only the 650w

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

well... the G3 was the base of the Leadex III, but fixed the problems that G3 had with it's protections, even if still rather high set. it's more because it dropped down to 11.4v in review, but only the 650w

Oh, right, i've asked that before already. Are there some way to add notes to down-tiered entries to avoid these kinds of questions ? Like smth like [1] with hover-on comment or at least a link to inside the spoiler with notes ?

Just now, Juular said:

at least a link to inside the spoiler with notes ?

this would technically be possible, the others hardly to straight up not

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

this would technically be possible, the others hardly to straight up not

Gotta keep Luke busy !

"Luke are editing"

@LukeSavenije Another question, what are examples of modern multi-rail units with not-good configured OCP ?

17 minutes ago, Juular said:

@LukeSavenije Another question, what are examples of modern multi-rail units with not-good configured OCP ?

i mean... you have old ones that were simply too weak, but then you'd get waaay back

current ones would be minor things like what some GPS and GPU based units have with the 2080 ti, vega 64 and such with tripping, but the actual shutdowns because of high power gpus in general has been years ago

and you also have just false multirails, which are reported to be multirail, but with some fuckery just a single rail in the end

hey guys, im new here.

so, i wanted to buy a new psu

i have 2 choice. superflower golden green, or platinum king.

i cant find platinum king in the list,

are platinum king still a top tier psu , because in the older thread tier list, made it to the A list, some one help me :D\

sorry for my bad english. im from indonesia cheers