[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

13 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

in theory it should be fine, but there haven't been heavy transient tests with it that i know of. There are two reviews out so far, being the phanteks amp on tomshardware and the PX at Kitguru. There should be more coming soon.

if you want to play it safe with it, you grab something that has been wider tested with it, and i'm happy to help looking if certain PSUs have tripping issues, as 2080 ti is one of the more common cards to cause this

I brought my Rog Strix 2080ti O11g can Aerocool Project P7 850w  ( mentioned as Tier A too) 

Unfortunately it reboot during 3dmark fire strike extreme ( as well as Time spy ) 

Furmark and aida64 stress CPU+GPU seems fine

Btw, with GX series have it uncertainties,  what kind of PSU will you recommend  for 9900k + 2080ti build ? I did a little bit overclocking, but not going to much. 

Will a Thermaltake TOUGHPOWER GF1 850w ( non RGB) suit for this case ? I heard this basically the same as 2018 Rmx ( Cwt ) 

Thanks a lot 

@LukeSavenije

14 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

in theory it should be fine, but there haven't been heavy transient tests with it that i know of. There are two reviews out so far, being the phanteks amp on tomshardware and the PX at Kitguru. There should be more coming soon.

if you want to play it safe with it, you grab something that has been wider tested with it, and i'm happy to help looking if certain PSUs have tripping issues, as 2080 ti is one of the more common cards to cause this

I think the problem if I remember correctly that the FX had its OCP  with a bit of a too fast response time , which triggred on high transient spikes  with durations as low as 14 ms , am i right ?

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

2 minutes ago, Mezoxin said:

I think the problem if I remember correctly that the FX had its OCP  with a bit of a too fast response time , which triggred on high transient spikes  with durations as low as 14 ms , am i right ?

Base on my google result, yes. But not GX one.

3 minutes ago, Zxaoer said:

well yes it should be fine, because seasonic did communicate with gpu manufacterers to have a better understanding about their power draw behaviors and therfore optimise their protection features accordingly , and this was the only reason for this product refresh 

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

2 minutes ago, Mezoxin said:

seasonic did communicate with gpu manufacterers to have a better understanding about their power draw behaviors and therfore optimise their protection features accordingly 

Any source refer to ? The place i live does not have much choices. So would like to make sure that is fine. 

Just now, Mezoxin said:

i've never seen the exact times, but from what i know seasonic did report an oversensitive ocp, yeah

3 minutes ago, Zxaoer said:

Will a Thermaltake TOUGHPOWER GF1 850w ( non RGB) suit for this case ? I heard this basically the same as 2018 Rmx ( Cwt ) 

it's not... it looks kind of a combination of GPS and GPU. the dc-dc placement is similar to the GPU, but others seem a bit closer to GPS. so i can't say what the exact platform is. but it should work.

The only i've heard tripping were the lower wattage GPS and GPU units (450/550w), not ones like these

12 minutes ago, Zxaoer said:

second revision FX already had this fixed, but had heavy ripple at 120% overload, which they should've solved now with a secondary PCB with filter caps

Yo guys plz advise. I ordered Antec High Current Pro 1000W Platinum. Is that PSU fine? I ordered it coz it was at the top teir but later I came to know that it was released like 5-6 years ago.

1ab47611-7d23-43c9-bc5a-4201c3120b44.jpeg

1 minute ago, dopedaf said:

Yo guys plz advise. I ordered Antec High Current Pro 1000W Platinum. Is that PSU fine? I ordered it coz it was at the top teir but later I came to know that it was released like 5-6 years ago.

assuming it's the delta, it's the one placed very high. it's not the most efficient, but it was the absolute best at the time, and still is quite a decent PSU

It's based off the Delta GM design, which is also used in the current Cooler Master V-series platinum line

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

so i can't say what the exact platform is. but it should work.

The only i've heard tripping were the lower wattage GPS and GPU units (450/550w), not ones like these

So, is that means a GF1 850W looks fine to handle 2080ti ? (wont tripping) 

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

second revision FX already had this fixed, but had heavy ripple at 120% overload, which they should've solved now with a secondary PCB with filter caps

Is that means based on currently of two reviews, it seems that GX series will not failed like the fx one ?

Thanks a lot for the advise 

1 minute ago, Zxaoer said:

So, is that means a GF1 850W looks fine to handle 2080ti ? (wont tripping) 

in theory not

though i have to note, it's a single rail unit, and i'm generally a fan of multirail use after 650w

1 minute ago, Zxaoer said:

Is that means based on currently of two reviews, it seems that GX series will not failed like the fx one ?

yep, i currently use one as well, but i don't have the tools to properly test it myself. Aris did show that there are no weird ripple issues like FX rev 2 had though

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

i've never seen the exact times, but from what i know seasonic did report an oversensitive ocp, yeah

It was posted on their chineese website long time ago with the vega 64

I think overall no sensible builder  would ever overload his PSU by 20% this is a very rare case and unpractical  scenario  , The GX and FX have alot of advantages over other PSU's that would benefit the user in realistic everyday use scenarios 

PC Part Picker

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

assuming it's the delta, it's the one placed very high. it's not the most efficient, but it was the absolute best at the time, and still is quite a decent PSU

It's based off the Delta GM design, which is also used in the current Cooler Master V-series platinum line

How do I know its the delta?

I basically had the option between Corsair Rmx, HX, ANtec HCP and CM V Gold(slightly cheaper). I referred the Tier list went with HCP as all of them had comparable prices. 

I'll be fine right?

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

in theory not

though i have to note, it's a single rail unit, and i'm generally a fan of multirail use after 650w

Is multirail much better than single, can you point some models out so that I can check if it is available in my place ? 

Is the GX850 mulitrail ? 

Sorry for asking too much

Thanks a lot

Just now, Mezoxin said:

I think overall no sensible builder  would ever overload his PSU by 20% this is a very rare case and unpractical  scenario  , The GX and FX have alot of advantages over other PSU's that would benefit the user in realistic everyday use scenarios 

i never said it was a realistic scenario, but when it does happen 268 mV is stupidly high. I don't see it as a reason to replace it because it's a bomb. I'm just saying it's quite a big oversight in design, which they should've fixed with GX.

and with the many alternatives the market has to give, now including the GX, i don't see why you would buy it, honestly. and there are some other smaller issues i have with focus, but i won't get into those for now

5 minutes ago, dopedaf said:

How do I know its the delta?

it's just something i'm not 100% sure of, because i know they switched to andyson on the HCG

16 minutes ago, Zxaoer said:

Is multirail much better than single, can you point some models out so that I can check if it is available in my place ? 

Is the GX850 mulitrail ? 

Sorry for asking too much

Thanks a lot

Proper Multirail would provide protection against damage from resistive loads that wont trigger the Short circuit Protection 

You Can check the Corsair RM-i series and the HX-i series 

In addition it has monitoring options and gives you control over you fan profile 

I own the RMi 850w and although its an overkill Its the Cheapest PSU available with an optional Multirail Setup and OCP protections set at 40A for each individual power connector , which means in case a resistive load forms at one of the PSU cables which may not trigger the SCP , the OCP would trip before reaching a Current value that would generate enough heat to melt the wire's insulation . also the software gives you the option to switch from multirail to single rail setup which is always a good thing to be able to configure it to your prefrences

PC Part Picker

11 minutes ago, Zxaoer said:

Is the GX850 mulitrail ? 

i always explain rails as breakers in your house. see them as that

all tier a+ psus are multirail

17 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

i always explain rails as breakers in your house. see them as that

all tier a+ psus are multirail

is my Antec HCP multirail?

8 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

yes, 4 rails

Hey thanks a lot for you help. 

So I got another question, whats the difference between these different sockets on the Antec HCP : 12V1, 12V2, 12V3, 12V4 ? and which socket should I use to connnect to  my motherboard (MSI X570 Unify) and GPU (2070S FE)

product-gallery-hcp1000-5.jpg

13 minutes ago, dopedaf said:

whats the difference between these different sockets on the Antec HCP : 12V1, 12V2, 12V3, 12V4 ?

these are the rails i was talking about earlier

I'd connect one rail for cpu, one for gpu

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

these are the rails i was talking about earlier

I'd connect one rail for cpu, one for gpu

I'm noob at this so could you ELI5 what you mean by one rail for cpu, one for gpu?

btw, i just noticed in the specs that it is 190mm long(which is longer than most PSUs), will it fit in my case (NZXT H510) ?

23 minutes ago, dopedaf said:

whats the difference between these different sockets on the Antec HCP

All this info should be in the manual but okay. Top-left one are obviously for motherboard 24-pin cable (it's probably on rail #1). Top-right are peripheral connectors (SATA power\MOLEX), they're on rail #1. Lower ones are universal connectors for CPU power and GPU power cables. Connect CPU power cable to any socket on rail #2 (rail #1 would do too if you have 3xGPUs) and all GPU power cables from one GPU to rail #3, if you have second GPU then connect it to rail #4.

4 minutes ago, dopedaf said:

btw, i just noticed in the specs that it is 190mm long(which is longer than most PSUs), will it fit in my case (NZXT H510) ?

You'll need to move\remove HDD cage likely.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

All this info should be in the manual but okay. Top-left one are obviously for motherboard 24-pin cable (it's probably on rail #1). Top-right are peripheral connectors (SATA power\MOLEX), they're on rail #1. Lower ones are universal connectors for CPU power and GPU power cables. Connect CPU power cable to any socket on rail #2 (rail #1 would do too if you have 3xGPUs) and all GPU power cables from one GPU to rail #3, if you have second GPU then connect it to rail #4.

You'll need to move\remove HDD cage likely.

Thanks for replying. I checked the manual on Antec website but there was no information given about rails.

So I guess I sort of understand rails now. its 4 rails means the the 4 of them work sort of independently of each other? I'll connect motherboard to #1, CPU to #2 and GPU to #3. that much is sorted I guess, but I dont understand the whole multi rail business.

I was confused because previously I was looking at corsair's HX series PSU, those have a switch at the back to toggle between single rail and multi-rail mode, so I thought multirail mode would mean all the sockets/power connectors would run at multi-rail. 

6 minutes ago, dopedaf said:

So I guess I sort of understand rails now. its 4 rails means the the 4 of them work sort of independently of each other? I'll connect motherboard to #1, CPU to #2 and GPU to #3.

Yep, i'll just quote @LukeSavenije explaination :

On 12/10/2019 at 12:25 PM, LukeSavenije said:

i always give the idea of breakers in your house. every rail is a "breaker" that limits current on a certain point.

so if i have 1 rail for 100a, i can let 100a go through a single connector

if i have 2 rails that will be 50a

if i have 4 it's 25a

and so on

I.e with 1kW single-rail unit it has around 100A limit on entire 12V rail, that's a lot of current, it may not react fast enough should GPU or CPU\motherboard short and there will be components damage. With multi-rail unit you can split that current for multiple GPUs and CPU so if one of these components short with much lower current limit, protection might kick in just in time not to fry anything else. It's not a guarantee and it wouldn't work just by itself but it's yet another protection in place.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Just now, Juular said:

Yep, i'll just quote @LukeSavenije explaination :

hmm so does that mean in my case, the 12V4 connector has 4 "breakers", 12V3 has 3 such breakers? so wouldnt it be better to connect to 12V4 one than to connect to 12V1?