[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

33 minutes ago, alceryes said:

thought the only difference was the CorsairLINK integration.

not only, the deciding thing being the rmi having multirail

rmx would've had the same position if it was multirail

I'm building a couple 24/7 uptime home NAS/fileservers. No graphics cards, old Supermicro server motherboards with onboard VGA, old Xeons and DDR3 ECC RAM, but multiple LSI HBA SAS cards and lots of drives (~12 per system).

I'm not quite sure what tier power supply I should aim for on this list. Tier B mentions 24/7 use; is that what I should probably go for? Is it worth going higher despite the fact I won't have discrete graphics cards in these systems?

2 minutes ago, gx240 said:

I'm not quite sure what tier power supply I should aim for on this list

well, as a first you'll either need a backplane or enough connectors in the first place, and as far as I'm aware only on higher end like the corsair hx. though i do remember that many hdd's could trip ocp sometimes

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, as a first you'll either need a backplane or enough connectors in the first place, and as far as I'm aware only on higher end like the corsair hx. though i do remember that many hdd's could trip ocp sometimes

Yeah, I haven't seen any PSUs with with 12+ SATA power connectors, so I was planning on using some SATA power splitter cables. Do you have any experience with these? I'm not clear on how many drives I can power from each individual SATA power cable coming out of the PSU, even with splitters.

13 minutes ago, gx240 said:

Yeah, I haven't seen any PSUs with with 12+ SATA power connectors

they do exist, example:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LkM323/corsair-hx-platinum-750w-80-platinum-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020137-na

update: it's far from the best, but should be good enough for this in theory

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Y8Trxr/rosewill-power-supply-photon1050

3 hours ago, Juular said:

And you can't blindly say that some company product are good quality just because they made other top quality products.

If Delta is making it at moment in time you are buying it(not something 15y old) there is nothing wrong with it

10 hours ago, komi1997 said:

If Delta is making it at moment in time you are buying it(not something 15y old) there is nothing wrong with it

Why so ? Just because they have a good track record ? Your position is no different than of those that claim this for Seasonic or any other brand.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

21 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

not only, the deciding thing being the rmi having multirail

rmx would've had the same position if it was multirail

Is there multiple 12V generation circuitries or just extra voltage shunts monitoring groups of wires?

I think it's the latter so, just better short protection...? (maybe)

Nice PSU list, BTW. I'm just trying to understand where/why the lines are drawn. ?

20 minutes ago, alceryes said:

Is there multiple 12V generation circuitries or just extra voltage shunts monitoring groups of wires?

our good friend Jon actually wrote something about this years ago, might be interesting to read

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?3990-Single-vs-Multiple-12V-rails-The-splitting-of-the-12V-rail

Btw I seen some recommendations for the capstone lately, but the capstone G, the updated version, is the only one I see on the tier list. Do we have some info on the old unit? All o could tell is that it was DC-DC.

Edit: k nevermind, it appears to be in tier A

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

37 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Btw I seen some recommendations for the capstone lately, but the capstone G, the updated version, is the only one I see on the tier list. Do we have some info on the old unit? All o could tell is that it was DC-DC.

Edit: k nevermind, it appears to be in tier A

Yeah, they've cut prices on entire lineup for about 30$ just recently, making them a very good alternative to more expensive Corsair units.

The next absurdity here is placing the same product in two different tiers.
https://seasonic.com/oneseasonic
For your information Seasonic GX and others in TIER A is the same as old Seasonic focus gold,  for example  focus GX-550 is new ssr-550fx which is on the tier D as potentially dangerous ?‍♀️

3 hours ago, Kaygooo said:

For your information Seasonic GX and others in TIER A is the same as old Seasonic focus gold,  for example  focus GX-550 is new ssr-550fx which is on the tier D as potentially dangerous ?‍♀️

Yeah, because people have overlooked this obvious thing. /s For your information, new revision Seasonic Focus isn't the same for the purpose of this tier list as older revisions (FX\FM). They were marketed just as Focus Gold, newer revisions with new naming theme have the same model numbers but they're not the same PSUs. See the link for the thread on the old revision or sources under spoiler at the end of the post. Newer revisions position isn't even confirmed yet as there are no reviews yet, thus it's marked with italic.

@LukeSavenije, so to confirm, apparently older Rosewill Capstone (XX0-M) are better than newer Capstone G (GXX0) and it's position is solid (tier A) ?

Also, there's some confusion on Cooler Master V & MWE series PSUs, V-series 2018 which is in tier A leads to MWE Gold on PCPP, exact same link for MWE Gold in tier B+ too, so there's either an error in links or in tiering (i'm not familiar with CM PSUs lineup enough to say what did you meant exactly).

Hey guys,

I am currently looking to replace my psu since my goldengreen hx600 finally buckled from vega 56 running rdr2 on ultra 1080p for 12hrs straight (cable connector on the psu melted)

thankfully it didnt actually take anything else to the grave with it

but I can get a good deal for silverstone strider gold evolution 750w or seasonic mi2ii evo 750w, which i think both are ranked pretty low in the tier list here

is there any reason why i shouldn't go with those two?

thanks

EDIT :

I also found some SPI Magna Gold 750w 80+ gold for an even lower price, which I read is actually FSP Aurum CM without the modular cables

I don't really need modularity if I can save some money instead

just need them to be good psu that will last years to come

These lists are cool and all but one day a product is tier A and the next it drops to dangerous?

Just like the motherboard tier lists, it seems that the criteria is always changing or they shift positions completely out of nowhere.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

20 hours ago, Juular said:

so there's either an error in links or in tiering (i'm not familiar with CM PSUs lineup enough to say what did you meant exactly)

Probably error in the linking. Should be fixed by next revision. 

3 hours ago, Plutosaurus said:

Just like the motherboard tier lists, it seems that the criteria is always changing or they shift positions completely out of nowhere.

There was a shift to make the methodoligy more consistant and more open to readers. 

Units ate moved according to new info arriving or missplacemebts are discovered. 

7 hours ago, agandul said:

seasonic mi2ii evo 750w

M12ii 750w was tier B-ish (edit: confirmed by  legacy list, it runs of a different plattfrom than the lower wattage units ).

Seems to have gone lost during a revision a while back. Should be back by next revision. 

4 hours ago, Plutosaurus said:

Of course criteria is always changing because technology never stays in place, ten years ago most PSUs were group-regulated, now there's still quite a bit of them but you don't want them in a modern system. There wasn't such a big shift after that yet but who knows what would happen in the future. Additionally, units may be shifted in tier simply in the light of some issues that were surfaced after enough data were accumulated, as it were with Seasonic Focus Gold, current revision Seasonic Focus is in tier A just because it's supposed to fix them and we don't have enough data on this (no reviews as of yet). This can happen with any unit if it uses a new platform or has considerable changes from previous revision.

This list is simply an advice for those who doesn't have enough knowledge about PSUs to select a unit themselves. It's complicated matter, you can't just see a 'benchmark' of PSU and see if it's better or worse than another one.

23 minutes ago, Juular said:

Of course criteria is always changing because technology never stays in place, ten years ago most PSUs were group-regulated, now there's still quite a bit of them but you don't want them in a modern system. There wasn't such a big shift after that yet but who knows what would happen in the future. Additionally, units may be shifted in tier simply in the light of some issues that were surfaced after enough data were accumulated, as it were with Seasonic Focus Gold, current revision Seasonic Focus is in tier A just because it's supposed to fix them and we don't have enough data on this (no reviews as of yet). This can happen with any unit if it uses a new platform or has considerable changes from previous revision.

This list is simply an advice for those who doesn't have enough knowledge about PSUs to select a unit themselves. It's complicated matter, you can't just see a 'benchmark' of PSU and see if it's better or worse than another one.

I'm talking about a motherboard I bought a month prior was a B-tier Ryzen 7, and then became E-tier 2200g level

And i don't even know where my Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w units are now. Seems impossible to determine.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 hour ago, Plutosaurus said:

And i don't even know where my Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w units are now. Seems impossible to determine.

Its fine. As long as you dont have a system that comes close to overloading it, then you are fine. 

1 hour ago, Plutosaurus said:

I'm talking about a motherboard I bought a month prior was a B-tier Ryzen 7, and then became E-tier 2200g level

Which specific board?

Edit: had a look and it seems to be related to the methodoligy change to make it more consistant. The board is fine for pretty much all CPUs if it has some airflow to go on.

18 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

M12ii 750w was tier B-ish (edit: confirmed by  legacy list, it runs of a different plattfrom than the lower wattage units ).

Seems to have gone lost during a revision a while back. Should be back by next revision. 

I bought an EVGA Supernova 850 G+ instead, since someone is selling about the same price with the others, just a bit longer shipping time

Quick question, in the list, I don't see the Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold anywhere in the list. I only see the Prime Fanless, Titanium and Platinum. Where would the Prime Ultra Gold 650W be in the list? Would it be in the same tier as the titanium and platinum models?

1 hour ago, TheBiggestOfBuschemis said:

Quick question, in the list, I don't see the Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold anywhere in the list. I only see the Prime Fanless, Titanium and Platinum. Where would the Prime Ultra Gold 650W be in the list? Would it be in the same tier as the titanium and platinum models?

its located under Tier A. 

doesnt qualify higher due to lack of multiple 12v rails. fine as long as you dont need more than 750w. 

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

its located under Tier A. 

doesnt qualify higher due to lack of multiple 12v rails. fine as long as you dont need more than 750w. 

Does the Prime Ultra Gold 650W have the same build quality as its Titanium and Platinum counterparts? Is that why its not mentioned on the list?