Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LukeSavenije

[psucultists] PSU Tier List

Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

Message added by Spotty

3 hours ago, Juular said:

No telling, data on transient power draw spikes of RTX3080 suggests that some PSUs might have problems with it even if they're rated for enough wattage on average, no idea if it's true for that platform, and we don't know anything about RTX3070 yet. Either way, it's rather budget platform anyway, i'd recommend to look for smth better.

What if i tell you that EVGA G3 is trash too, albeit not Chinese (or perhaps it is since Super Flower or EVGA offloaded some production to RSY for it). Regardless, the country of origin of PSU has nothing to do with it's quality, that's not a metric we base this tier list on.

@Juular Looks like GEX is better than what I expected it to be. At least on the review sites the sheet has provided. It's in chinese and Korean and the tests perform were pretty decent, I think I'll hold on to this a bit more and see how it goes. Apparently, it has 6 protective circuit UVP, SCP , OTP, OCP, OVP, and OPP. Main cap is japanese made nippon chemi-con as well, I heard they're good(?).

This was the link I was looking at https://quasarzone.com/bbs/qc_qsz/views/480161

I have question regarding voltage regulation which probably isn't really matter, but I'm curious :P

Which psu is considered better?

One with tighter variation (0.2%) but overall voltage is 3% higher (e.g. 12.300v~12.325v) or the one with looser variation(0.8%) but overall voltage is closer (within 1%) to 12V (e.g. 11.952v~12.048v)?

3 hours ago, Algebruh said:

I have question regarding voltage regulation which probably isn't really matter, but I'm curious :P

Which psu is considered better?

One with tighter variation (0.2%) but overall voltage is 3% higher (e.g. 12.300v~12.325v) or the one with looser variation(0.8%) but overall voltage is closer (within 1%) to 12V (e.g. 11.952v~12.048v)?

No one can give a definitive answer, theoretically, tighter regulation is always better, even if it's somewhat offset from nominal to the higher voltage but when it comes to anything sub 1% the difference should be negligent.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, CloudPC said:

Can anyone recommend a good 650w psu for around £60?

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs. this isn't a topic for recommendations, rather for asking questions around the list or giving suggestions to it

PSU Tier List 4.0//Motherboard Tier List//Community Standards//ATX Specification//Group Regulation//Topologies and Regulations//How many watts?//PSU Protections

Don't forget to quote or mention me

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k 5.0ghz

GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming

RAM: 2x8 3333 mhz DDR4 Trident Z

MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC

HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint HD103SI

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB

Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB (modified)

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX650

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 Slim Glacier White 500 GB

PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 GB

PS3 Super Slim 500 GB

PS2 OG

Xbox OG

DS Lite White

DS Lite Black/blue

DS Lite Blue

DSI XL Orange

Gameboy Advanced Color

PS Vita v2

Wii

56 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs. this isn't a topic for recommendations, rather for asking questions around the list or giving suggestions to it

My apologies, I did actually do this, however, I was told by a member to ask on this tier list 

Ummm.... Why is Corsair RMi listed under multi/single rail switchable when manual indicates it as a single 12V rail unit?

Screenshot_20200921-161310.jpg

9 minutes ago, RNLG said:

Ummm.... Why is Corsair RMi listed under multi/single rail switchable when manual indicates it as a single 12V rail unit?

Because it's single-rail by default but you can enable multi-rail OCP through software.

54 minutes ago, Juular said:

Because it's single-rail by default but you can enable multi-rail OCP through software.

I believe the (I)'s are set to Multi Rail by default, have to go into the ICUE or Corsair Link software to change it to Single Rail. (Have to have the data cable attached)

I know my HXI was and I believe the RMI's are also.

The HX's switch was also set to Multi Rail out of the box... Non (I)..

In the ICUE software: HXI 850 as an example.

HXI%20850-X2.jpg

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

6 hours ago, RNLG said:

Huh, wonder why it's not listed in the manual though, not that it's a bad thing to have on the psu, it's just kind of weird

Hey don't be so hard on Diablotek! They are my favorite Fireworks Manufacturer!

8 minutes ago, pote2639 said:

is DP-GD-DQ850M the same ones as the DQ-M in the A tier?

yep

edit: not to confuse with DP-GD-DQ850-M-V2L

PSU Tier List 4.0//Motherboard Tier List//Community Standards//ATX Specification//Group Regulation//Topologies and Regulations//How many watts?//PSU Protections

Primary PC:

Spoiler

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS3 Super Slim 500 GB

PS2 OG

Xbox OG

DS Lite White

DS Lite Black/blue

DS Lite Blue

DSI XL Orange

Gameboy Advanced Color

PS Vita v2

Wii

How come the Sharkoon SilentStorm is in the top tier, yet there are little to no reviews of the unit around?

I can only find a handful of European reviews. One does a teardown and is in Spanish, and they aren't exactly thrilled with missing features. The other one I've read through is in German and very limited.

22 minutes ago, StrafeJog said:

How come the Sharkoon SilentStorm is in the top tier, yet there are little to no reviews of the unit around?

I can only find a handful of European reviews. One does a teardown and is in Spanish, and they aren't exactly thrilled with missing features. The other one I've read through is in German and very limited.

I kind of agree with you, it should be Tier B based off of this review in the spreadsheet since it appears that it doesn't meet the <3% 12V deviation from nominal for Tier A, unless I'm misreading something (wouldn't be the first time, and won't be the last).

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: Asus Dual OC 2080  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia (Proprietary Thermaltake View 21, side intake, not front)  PSU: ATNG 800w 80+ Bronze (replacing when shortage is over) Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Acer XG270HU (27" 1440p 144hz TN), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

Hi, would like to know how is the quality of that PSU, RAMPAGE RMP-500-80P 500W 80PLUS. Here you can find some links, but they are in Turkish.

http://www.rampage.com.tr/tr/urun/rampage-rmp-500-80p-500w-80-plus-12cm-fan-aktif-pfc-power-supply

https://www.vatanbilgisayar.com/everest-rampage-rmp-500-80p-500w-80plus-120mm-fanli-guc-kaynagi.html

I know it would be better if you have more information about the PSU or even have it physically, but any info would be useful. I already know that Rampage PSU's are quite bad since the experiences, but I would like to know about this model specifically.

8 hours ago, StrafeJog said:

We know it's platform, we have some detailed reviews on other units using it (TT TP Grand RGB Sync Edition), that's enough for it to be placed in tier A. Although we will move it to low-priority subtier due to concerns over OTP implementation on this platform.

8 hours ago, MrBrightSyde said:

it appears that it doesn't meet the <3% 12V deviation from nominal for Tier A, unless I'm misreading something (wouldn't be the first time, and won't be the last).

I don't see that in that review, you're just looking at the image with limits of ATX specification it seems.

7 hours ago, EgeN7 said:

Hi, would like to know how is the quality of that PSU, RAMPAGE RMP-500-80P 500W 80PLUS

It's group regulated, that's enough for it to be placed no higher than in tier D but i can't identify the platform so it isn't going anywhere.

1 hour ago, Juular said:

We know it's platform, we have some detailed reviews on other units using it (TT TP Grand RGB Sync Edition), that's enough for it to be placed in tier A. Although we will move it to low-priority subtier due to concerns over OTP implementation on this platform.

Would you recommend the 750W model for a 3080?

46 minutes ago, StrafeJog said:

Would you recommend the 750W model for a 3080?

If that's your only option out of tier A units, well, why not.

Hello guys, i'm planning to get the NZXT C850 to pair it with the rtx 3080 and an i9 10900 (non-k).

I assume this is just a strip down version of the nzxt E850. Based on some of the small review samples that I read online, this psu is built based on the Seasonic Focus platform.

So is it a good purchase?

Edited by alfiejr
On 9/21/2020 at 2:08 PM, RNLG said:

Huh, wonder why it's not listed in the manual though, not that it's a bad thing to have on the psu, it's just kind of weird

Because if you put the multi-rail configuration in the manual, you end up putting the average user in a doubt-loop.

"derr... where do I plug in my GPU?... derr.. where do I plug in my CPU?... derr... How do I 'balance my rails'?...."

It's best to "K. I. S. S."

21 hours ago, Juular said:

We know it's platform, we have some detailed reviews on other units using it (TT TP Grand RGB Sync Edition), that's enough for it to be placed in tier A.

Why is it that the TT TP Grand RGB Sync Ed. is listed in tier C and not tier A ?

2 hours ago, alfiejr said:

I assume this is just a strip down version of the nzxt E850

kind of

e-series is a modified focus v1 (focus plus/fx before 2019)

c-series is a normal focus v3 (focus gx)

Primary PC:

Spoiler

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS3 Super Slim 500 GB

PS2 OG

Xbox OG

DS Lite White

DS Lite Black/blue

DS Lite Blue

DSI XL Orange