[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

6 hours ago, RNLG said:

Huh, wonder why it's not listed in the manual though, not that it's a bad thing to have on the psu, it's just kind of weird

8 minutes ago, pote2639 said:

is DP-GD-DQ850M the same ones as the DQ-M in the A tier?

yep

edit: not to confuse with DP-GD-DQ850-M-V2L

Any of these semi-modular psu's good?
be quiet! System Power 9 500W CM
Corsair CX450M
Cooler Master MasterWatt 450

Or better to go for non-modular psu like:

Cooler Master MWE 450 White 230V - V2

Cooler Master MWE Bronze 450W V2

How come the Sharkoon SilentStorm is in the top tier, yet there are little to no reviews of the unit around?

I can only find a handful of European reviews. One does a teardown and is in Spanish, and they aren't exactly thrilled with missing features. The other one I've read through is in German and very limited.

22 minutes ago, StrafeJog said:

How come the Sharkoon SilentStorm is in the top tier, yet there are little to no reviews of the unit around?

I can only find a handful of European reviews. One does a teardown and is in Spanish, and they aren't exactly thrilled with missing features. The other one I've read through is in German and very limited.

I kind of agree with you, it should be Tier B based off of this review in the spreadsheet since it appears that it doesn't meet the <3% 12V deviation from nominal for Tier A, unless I'm misreading something (wouldn't be the first time, and won't be the last).

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

Hi, would like to know how is the quality of that PSU, RAMPAGE RMP-500-80P 500W 80PLUS. Here you can find some links, but they are in Turkish.

http://www.rampage.com.tr/tr/urun/rampage-rmp-500-80p-500w-80-plus-12cm-fan-aktif-pfc-power-supply

https://www.vatanbilgisayar.com/everest-rampage-rmp-500-80p-500w-80plus-120mm-fanli-guc-kaynagi.html

I know it would be better if you have more information about the PSU or even have it physically, but any info would be useful. I already know that Rampage PSU's are quite bad since the experiences, but I would like to know about this model specifically.

8 hours ago, StrafeJog said:

We know it's platform, we have some detailed reviews on other units using it (TT TP Grand RGB Sync Edition), that's enough for it to be placed in tier A. Although we will move it to low-priority subtier due to concerns over OTP implementation on this platform.

8 hours ago, MrBrightSyde said:

it appears that it doesn't meet the <3% 12V deviation from nominal for Tier A, unless I'm misreading something (wouldn't be the first time, and won't be the last).

I don't see that in that review, you're just looking at the image with limits of ATX specification it seems.

7 hours ago, EgeN7 said:

Hi, would like to know how is the quality of that PSU, RAMPAGE RMP-500-80P 500W 80PLUS

It's group regulated, that's enough for it to be placed no higher than in tier D but i can't identify the platform so it isn't going anywhere.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

1 hour ago, Juular said:

We know it's platform, we have some detailed reviews on other units using it (TT TP Grand RGB Sync Edition), that's enough for it to be placed in tier A. Although we will move it to low-priority subtier due to concerns over OTP implementation on this platform.

Would you recommend the 750W model for a 3080?

46 minutes ago, StrafeJog said:

Would you recommend the 750W model for a 3080?

If that's your only option out of tier A units, well, why not.

Hello guys, i'm planning to get the NZXT C850 to pair it with the rtx 3080 and an i9 10900 (non-k).

I assume this is just a strip down version of the nzxt E850. Based on some of the small review samples that I read online, this psu is built based on the Seasonic Focus platform.

So is it a good purchase?

Edited by alfiejr

On 9/21/2020 at 2:08 PM, RNLG said:

Huh, wonder why it's not listed in the manual though, not that it's a bad thing to have on the psu, it's just kind of weird

Because if you put the multi-rail configuration in the manual, you end up putting the average user in a doubt-loop.

"derr... where do I plug in my GPU?... derr.. where do I plug in my CPU?... derr... How do I 'balance my rails'?...."

It's best to "K. I. S. S."

21 hours ago, Juular said:

We know it's platform, we have some detailed reviews on other units using it (TT TP Grand RGB Sync Edition), that's enough for it to be placed in tier A.

Why is it that the TT TP Grand RGB Sync Ed. is listed in tier C and not tier A ?

2 hours ago, alfiejr said:

I assume this is just a strip down version of the nzxt E850

kind of

e-series is a modified focus v1 (focus plus/fx before 2019)

c-series is a normal focus v3 (focus gx)

54 minutes ago, electropical said:

Why is it that the TT TP Grand RGB Sync Ed. is listed in tier C and not tier A ?

Because we're really not sure if TT's OTP implementation works, we have two reviews in one of which OTP doesn't work and in the other it's set to 180°C which is almost useless. There's a hope that OTP is set lower in stock platform as TT apparently has a track record of requiring very high OTP, it's the same with their CWT CST based units for example.

So, I might be in the market for a new PSU should this CM V650 prove not enough for a 3700x and a 3080 so getting the research out of the way before GPU stock comes in.  I'm looking at Corsair PSUs and the list has this "RM Gray".  What is Gray about it and how will I know?  They all look pretty black and gray all over with slight changes in the label from different iterations over the years.

Is this a Gray unit?  https://www.lazada.com.my/products/i671940443-s1443492521.html

I'm not sure how much I trust the images at the bottom of the listing as many stores do a copy paste job of the first thing they find online.  Model RPS0119 apparently.  Or potentially spending even more for the HX750 https://www.lazada.com.my/products/i182915622-s220298730.html

The RMx doesn't seem to exist in my country for some reason.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

@Samfisher Images from that side don't load for me.

This is RM 2019 / Gray, SKU code CP-902019*, 750W one should be good for RTX3080, Corsair tested them :

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Certified-Modular-Microsoft-Standby/dp/B07RF237B1

This is RM 2013 / Yellow / Orange, SKU code CP-90200(5/6)*, shouldn't be sold anywhere today :

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Power-Supplies-750W-CP-9020055-NA/dp/B00EB7UITQ

9 minutes ago, Juular said:

@Samfisher Images from that side don't load for me.

This is RM 2019 / Gray, SKU code CP-902019*, 750W one should be good for RTX3080, Corsair tested them :

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Certified-Modular-Microsoft-Standby/dp/B07RF237B1

This is RM 2013 / Yellow / Orange, SKU code CP-90200(5/6)*, shouldn't be sold anywhere today :

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Power-Supplies-750W-CP-9020055-NA/dp/B00EB7UITQ

Thank you.  I hear the 30 series GPUs have pretty high transient power.  Would you recommend me going for the RM or would it be fine staying with the CM v650?

39 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Thank you.  I hear the 30 series GPUs have pretty high transient power.  Would you recommend me going for the RM or would it be fine staying with the CM v650?

Well, you can always try it with the V650 since the only thing that could happen would be the PSU shutting down the system due to protection kicking in. If the 3080 does trip the PSU, then I would get a new PSU.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

3 minutes ago, MrBrightSyde said:

Well, you can always try it with the V650 since the only thing that could happen would be the PSU shutting down the system due to protection kicking in. If the 3080 does trip the PSU, then I would get a new PSU.

Money wise the best solution, gotta weigh waiting a few days for a new PSU vs spending money and be out of that money regardless of whether the V650 can power it properly or not.

2 hours ago, Samfisher said:

Money wise the best solution, gotta weigh waiting a few days for a new PSU vs spending money and be out of that money regardless of whether the V650 can power it properly or not.

Wait and see if it powers it. At worst just crank powerlimit down in case it does trip. 

I tried to search this thread a bit, so I'm sorry if it's already been mentioned or talked about. Is there any more info on the Dark Power Pro 12 from be quiet? Do we know the manufacturer? Is it still FSP? Or is it still too new to know this stuff?

26 minutes ago, severide said:

I tried to search this thread a bit, so I'm sorry if it's already been mentioned or talked about. Is there any more info on the Dark Power Pro 12 from be quiet? Do we know the manufacturer? Is it still FSP? Or is it still too new to know this stuff?

It's CWT according to the spreadsheet (CTRL+F for bq! DP P12, spreadsheet is also linked on the list for future reference)

MAIN PC:

SECONDARY PC:

There are some games that make GPU go from idle to full load and back to low power stage every few minutes (e.g. Dirt Rally 2.0, Assetto Corsa etc.)

Since most people consider that it is okay for PSU to work near OPP trigger point during GPU transition (from idle to full load).

I have following question Do voltage and ripple stay within Intel regulation when PSU is working near OPP or OCP?

Edit : My psu is RM750x

Intel I7-10700KF stock - Noctua NH-D15 - A15+A12x25 

Micron Ballistix Sport LT 4133MHz CL17-21-21-40 @1.45v

GIGABYTE AORUS 3090 Xtreme 1905MHz@0.919v/2010MHz@1.063v +900/750 memory clock

Seasonic PX-1000

Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh