[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

MasterWatt 750 TUF Gaming Edition

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/masterwatt/masterwatt-750-tuf-gaming-edition/

Hi, I can't seem to find this on the tier list. Anyone mind telling me where it belongs to?

43 minutes ago, DeadlyAce85 said:

MasterWatt 750 TUF Gaming Edition

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/masterwatt/masterwatt-750-tuf-gaming-edition/

Hi, I can't seem to find this on the tier list. Anyone mind telling me where it belongs to?

Identical to regular Masterwatt, i.e tier C.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

7 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

actually, when I asked Silverstone about their version, they explicitly noted they chose the option to add it, Enermax's support came off with nothing more than a vague "it has these protections and that doesn't list OTP" response, so GPS and OTP has been... problematic with the lack of testing to show on many units

I have an idea.. Let me just ask CWT.  :D

On 9/14/2020 at 10:05 PM, none77 said:

Both companies don't claim that the PSU got OTP.

Eneremax REVOLUTION X't II

image.png.67e54922619a6212749ad0cbea65997a.png

Gigabyte G750h

image.png.897a4827e7f7c96f8abc3a537e4c6b04.png

Ok...  Enermax has OTP.  No problem.

Gigabyte does NOT.  The fan controller in that PSU doesn't even use an IC. It's LITERALLY just a thermistor changing the output voltage to the fan and nothing more.  :(

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Ok...  Enermax has OTP.  No problem.

Gigabyte does NOT.  The fan controller in that PSU doesn't even use an IC. It's LITERALLY just a thermistor changing the output voltage to the fan and nothing more.  :(

That's an info from your CWT contact or you got your hands on them ?

And you know, while you're here, we actually have half of tier C without any info on whether they actually don't have OTP or marketing department just didn't bother to claim it, here's the list, you can help with them or you can just ignore this but thanks anyway :)

Spoiler

grouped by units using the same platform

- ADX Power W Gold - CWT GPU, Curry's (UK) in-house brand, i assume the stock design has OTP but they don't claim it

- Andyson H6 / GX, Gamdias Astrape P1 & Kratos P1, PSU of InWin A1 Plus case - again, the platform looks too high-end to not have OTP but they neither rebrands using it don't claim it

- Chieftec Core BBS, Deepcool DQ-ST, Montech Gamma / Gamma II, Thermaltake GX1 / GX2 (not RGB as it's a completely different platform) - CWT GPS

- Thermaltake Smart DPS G Gold with X50W wattage - kinda GPS-like but not sure if it's really called this or even has it's own code, looks like this

- Super Flower Golden King, Rosewill Tachyon, Kingwin Lazer Gold / Platinum, Sentey Platinum - not really sure if these units all use the same platform as older Super Flower stuff is a mess to me, and they're, you know - old, so it isn't of much importance anyway but i list them here too

- Powerspec PSX-GFM / Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB Gold Sync Edition - Sirtec #800 platform. Aris couldn't trip OTP on them, maybe you have contacts in Sirtec who could provide some insight on whether this issue were fixed or not ? Also, while you at it, we would really like some info on their High Power Performance GD and Performance Pro.

- Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB Platinum - CWT CST1200, again, Aris couldn't trip OTP on 1050W SKU, but 1200W is fine (albeit a bit high with 160°C), so either there are or were some problems with OTP on this platform or they're really not that identical

- SilentiumPC Supremo L2 / M2, Vinga VPS Gold / Platinum - SAMA platforms, a different one on Vinga VPS Platinum (still no info on OTP) but otherwise look very similar (hard to say if they're really similar as SAMA seems to like modifying their stuff here and there constantly). We asked SPC and they said that Supremo FM2 has OTP, L2 & M2 do not. Well, now i really don't expect you to provide any info here but it worth a shot.

20 minutes ago, Juular said:

That's an info from your CWT contact or you got your hands on them ?

And you know, while you're here, we actually have half of tier C without any info on whether they actually don't have OTP or marketing department just didn't bother to claim it, here's the list, you can help with them or you can just ignore this but thanks anyway :)

Reveal hidden contents

grouped by units using the same platform

- ADX Power W Gold - CWT GPU, Curry's (UK) in-house brand, i assume the stock design has OTP but they don't claim it

- Andyson H6 / GX, Gamdias Astrape P1 & Kratos P1, PSU of InWin A1 Plus case - again, the platform looks too high-end to not have OTP but they neither rebrands using it don't claim it

- Chieftec Core BBS, Deepcool DQ-ST, Montech Gamma / Gamma II, Thermaltake GX1 / GX2 (not RGB as it's a completely different platform) - CWT GPS

- Thermaltake Smart DPS G Gold with X50W wattage - kinda GPS-like but not sure if it's really called this or even has it's own code, looks like this

- Super Flower Golden King, Rosewill Tachyon, Kingwin Lazer Gold / Platinum, Sentey Platinum - not really sure if these units all use the same platform as older Super Flower stuff is a mess to me, and they're, you know - old, so it isn't of much importance anyway but i list them here too

- Powerspec PSX-GFM / Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB Gold Sync Edition - Sirtec #800 platform. Aris couldn't trip OTP on them, maybe you have contacts in Sirtec who could provide some insight on whether this issue were fixed or not ? Also, while you at it, we would really like some info on their High Power Performance GD and Performance Pro.

- Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB Platinum - CWT CST1200, again, Aris couldn't trip OTP on 1050W SKU, but 1200W is fine (albeit a bit high with 160°C), so either there are or were some problems with OTP on this platform or they're really not that identical

- SilentiumPC Supremo L2 / M2, Vinga VPS Gold / Platinum - SAMA platforms, a different one on Vinga VPS Platinum (still no info on OTP) but otherwise look very similar (hard to say if they're really similar as SAMA seems to like modifying their stuff here and there constantly). We asked SPC and they said that Supremo FM2 has OTP, L2 & M2 do not. Well, now i really don't expect you to provide any info here but it worth a shot.

That is info from CWT.

That said, reviewers SHOULD be able to figure this out on their own.  They're just not tearing into the PSU deep enough to see how the fan controller works.

Much in the same way they don't tear into fans to see how two fans with the same part number can actually be completely different inside.  :D

6 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Much in the same way they don't tear into fans to see how two fans with the same part number can actually be completely different inside.

This is actually one thing i would like Aris to do. They have a certification program, they apparently require just one sample of the PSU for it, why ? Why not require at least, like, 3 ? So the data would be cleaner and then he could destroy one of them for funsies. But i guess we'll never see that.

4 hours ago, Juular said:

This is actually one thing i would like Aris to do. They have a certification program, they apparently require just one sample of the PSU for it, why ? Why not require at least, like, 3 ? 

I don't know.  I always test 5 units per stage.  Send 5 units to Allion.  Even PAL labs and 80 PLUS get two units each.  

is the be quiet! Straight Power 11 gold supposed to be gold or white? Its available on my country now and i need a new psu, if its quiet and good (gold) ill get it.

Looking at the list, is the Cooler Master V650 Gold Fully Modular unit that bad to only be in the same tier as a Corsair CX series PSU?

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

4 minutes ago, wukashin said:

is the be quiet! Straight Power 11 gold supposed to be gold or white? Its available on my country now and i need a new psu, if its quiet and good (gold) ill get it.

It's supposed to have gold color, we'll fix that.

8 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Looking at the list, is the Cooler Master V650 Gold Fully Modular unit that bad to only be in the same tier as a Corsair CX series PSU?

The new one, manufactured by Chicony is.

40 minutes ago, Juular said:

The new one, manufactured by Chicony is.

I'm assuming the unit or the box would show Chicony as the OEM?  Is there an easy way to check?

I'm trying to decide if it's safe to get a 3080 on my 3700x machine, as it will be about 500w+ of usage at full load according to all the 3080 reviews.  I'm on the V650 one. MPY-6501-AFAAGV-UK

3 hours ago, Juular said:

It's supposed to have gold color, we'll fix that.

So that means its quiet? There aren't a lot of reviews for the 750w one so that's why im asking, if so, that's amazing to hear!

47 minutes ago, wukashin said:

So that means its quiet? There aren't a lot of reviews for the 750w one so that's why im asking, if so, that's amazing to hear!

It is, indeed:

fanspeed.png

(Source)

Its SilentWings 3 fan at such low RPM (<300) will be virtually inaudible, and silent enough at moderate loads. It wasn't Blue or Gold because of the 1000W model, which is quite noisy, but the lower wattages should meet the requirements. It'll be fixed as Juular said ;)

5 hours ago, Samfisher said:

I'm assuming the unit or the box would show Chicony as the OEM?  Is there an easy way to check?

I'm trying to decide if it's safe to get a 3080 on my 3700x machine, as it will be about 500w+ of usage at full load according to all the 3080 reviews.  I'm on the V650 one. MPY-6501-AFAAGV-UK

MPY is 2018 rev. Since you already have it that's okay.

2 hours ago, breixobaloca said:

It is, indeed:

fanspeed.png

(Source)

Its SilentWings 3 fan at such low RPM (<300) will be virtually inaudible, and silent enough at moderate loads. It wasn't Blue or Gold because of the 1000W model, which is quite noisy, but the lower wattages should meet the requirements. It'll be fixed as Juular said ;)

Thanks man, excited to get one!

2 hours ago, Juular said:

MPY is 2018 rev. Since you already have it that's okay.

Thank you.  I'm assuming the 2018 one is also a Chicony product?  What kinds of performance in terms of efficiency or clean power (?) am I giving up compared to a RM750x for example? :D

6 minutes ago, Sudok said:

what can happen if the power supply is not sufficient?

The PSU will just safely shut down

Edited by seon123
Something something

:)

18 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

What kinds of performance in terms of efficiency or clean power (?) am I giving up compared to a RM750x for example? :D

It has some ripple issues on very low load and overall performance is meh for how it's positioned as.

3 hours ago, Sudok said:

from the reviews i have seen, i should have no problem with my formula gold 550w and a ryzen 3600

from the ones I've seen, it will have

370w peaks is not something formula 550 can handle

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

from the ones I've seen, it will have

370w peaks is not something formula 550 can handle

Sustained at that, with almost 500W sub millisecond peaks ...

04-Peak-Power.png

Hey guys, so I was scouring all the shop referencing to this list for my PSU. Now I was able to see Cougar GEX here, and luckily found a stock of it, Cougar GEX 850 80+ Gold. Now with that comes excitement, and I bought it right there and then and didn't bother to check for reviews. I just knew i saw it on this list, now when I try to check out good ol google for reviews, can't find any. Just checking in to see where did the list gets the recommendation that this psu is good? I mean it looks good for me, but i'd like to see an expert dig around.

1 hour ago, Juular said:

Sustained at that, with almost 500W sub millisecond peaks ...

04-Peak-Power.png

Interesting....

Can't wait to see what happens once the AIB cards are tested for OCs after the software issues are worked out.

Some seemed to be having problems because they can't raise the power limits in the software yet..

That 489.1W peak interesting taking into count some of the recommendations that we tend to see around here. And at least one 550W PSU recommendation already and another 600W PSU recommendation.....🙄

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.