[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

6 minutes ago, OhadL said:

Thanks, I think I will pick the Gigabyte G750H.

Another question, I saw on pc part picker that Corsair CXM (Tier C) (retails for 87$ at my country) got 5 out of 5 stars by 150 people.

Is the difference between it and the Gigabyte G750H (Tier A) that big?

Build quality wise, yeah. Gigabyte GH is LLC while the CXM is Double Forward. GH uses a ball-bearing fan IIRC while the CXM uses a sleeve-bearing fan.

PCPartPicker ratings are a little like Amazon reviews, worthless for the most part unless something is completely wrong.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

1 minute ago, MrBrightSyde said:

Build quality wise, yeah. Gigabyte GH is LLC while the CXM is Double Forward. GH uses a ball-bearing fan IIRC while the CXM uses a sleeve-bearing fan.

PCPartPicker ratings are a little like Amazon reviews, worthless for the most part unless something is completely wrong.

Thank you man, you helped me a lot.

25 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

rifle these days, actually

Oh they changed that? Couldn't find any info in the spreadsheet so I went with what I could find through Google.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

On 10/23/2019 at 8:15 PM, LukeSavenije said:

• Deepcool | DQ-M-V2L [2]

[2] CWT GPX based units have problems with failing burn-in test under sub 90VAC input, treat as 230V only, source.

So which tier would this be if my country's voltage is 240v?

25 minutes ago, KnownAsZealand said:

So which tier would this be if my country's voltage is 240v?

240V > 230V

5 hours ago, OhadL said:

Is the difference between Cooler Master MWE V2 Brozne (retails for 83$ at my country) and Gigabyte G750H (retails for 107.5$ at my country) worth paying 25$ extra?

the g750h share the same platform like the enermax revolution xt ii that in tier C, from what i could find it got the same protections and shouldn't be in tier a.

1 hour ago, KnownAsZealand said:

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Since higher voltage is lower current, that's a good thing.

7 hours ago, none77 said:

the g750h share the same platform like the enermax revolution xt ii that in tier C, from what i could find it got the same protections and shouldn't be in tier a.

Enermax Revolution X't II is in tier C because apparently it doesn't have OTP, Gigabyte G-H does.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

G750H got the same supervisor IC Sitronix ST9S313-DAG.

Aris didn't found OTP OCP.

The chip don't support, maybe they got (OCP) in other place.

in GB they don't mansion OTP and OCP.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/enermax-revolution-xt-ii-750w-power-supply,4549.html

https://ru.gecid.com/power/gigabyte_gp-g750h/?s=all

"The unit's protection suite is fairly basic, with OTP and OCP missing (according to Enermax OCP is supported on the minor rails at least, however the used supervisor IC doesn't support OCP at all. We overloaded the minor rails with more than 30 Amps on each rail, but still no OCP kicked in so it is safe to assume that this protection is totally absent)"

35 minutes ago, none77 said:

We overloaded the minor rails with more than 30 Amps on each rail, but still no OCP kicked in so it is safe to assume that this protection is totally absent)"

I'm not positive, that's just about 40% overload and OCP is actually required by ATX standard anyway (whether it effectively works or not is a different question). But i can't find a source on why i thought that Gigabyte G750H has OTP, it's going to be detiered to tier C in the next revision.

You said you will write them and ask.

The quote is from the enermax review.

3 hours ago, none77 said:

You said you will write them and ask.

The quote is from the enermax review.

Oh, i did, they didn't provide any new information. So either it doesn't have OTP indeed or they're wrong. Although i'm confident that they're definitely wrong about OCP, i.e not listing it among the protections on the product page.

18 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Since higher voltage is lower current, that's a good thing.

Would you recommend it for high end system? (240V)

1 minute ago, KnownAsZealand said:

Would you recommend it for high end system? (240v)

Definitely not.

8 hours ago, Juular said:

But i can't find a source on why i thought that Gigabyte G750H has OTP, it's going to be detiered to tier C in the next revision.

Most of the time, OTP is not supported by the supervisor IC.   It's much easier/cheaper to use the fan controller IC.  Once the temperature reaches a point where the fan would need to spin faster than spec, a signal is sent to the PWM controller to shut down.

8 hours ago, Juular said:

I'm not positive, that's just about 40% overload and OCP is actually required by ATX standard anyway (whether it effectively works or not is a different question). 

Interesting that Aris couldn't get OCP to trip on the minor rails.

The DC to DC uses an Anpec APW7159A which DOES have OCP.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Most of the time, OTP is not supported by the supervisor IC.   It's much easier/cheaper to use the fan controller IC.  Once the temperature reaches a point where the fan would need to spin faster than spec, a signal is sent to the PWM controller to shut down.

I wonder why they don't claim it then, not reliable enough ?

30 minutes ago, Juular said:

I wonder why they don't claim it then, not reliable enough ?

It's CWT.  I'm sure the OTP works properly.

Enermax is a shell of a company they once were.  They probably don't have anyone left on board that actually knows.

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Enermax is a shell of a company they once were.  They probably don't have anyone left on board that actually knows.

And they used to make such nice platforms too ;-;

Such a shame.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

On 9/6/2020 at 4:37 PM, Fasauceome said:

I can't remember what our convo contained, and with a topic length of 125 pages, I'd rather not go back and look

Judging by what you quoted, you bought a really high watt version of the Focus Plus, the old GX. Or maybe not, I don't know. But, a 1000 watt PSU for these new GPUs is still very overkill, the 3090 is only rated for 350 watts of power draw, which means you'd need a seriously high core count CPU or a couple graphics cards to justify such a unit. Otherwise, gamers can comfortably run a 3090 with their 650 and 750 watt PSUs like normal.

You remember quite well dont cut yourself short. I was paranoid I had gotten the old version but after some pics and digging around on here quickly found out it wasnt. But it wasnt a focus + like I had ordered from amazon either. None the less, point I'm making is, shits supposedly more power efficient yet wants more power. With 10 120mm rgb 2000rpm fans, 240mm ek aio, 2tb adata nvme, 2x500 GB wdblue ssd, 2x1tb wd blue hdd, 3466 cl16 ram ect ect, I'd rather be safe for a few years to come.. I forgot the 5 led strips on my case plus the one inside itself. Unsure my power draw on total usage atm but I still disagree that it was a bad choice. 

Perhaps I wish to run a server on top of my system needless to say its covered wouldnt it be?

9 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Both companies don't claim that the PSU got OTP.

Eneremax REVOLUTION X't II

image.png.67e54922619a6212749ad0cbea65997a.png

Gigabyte G750h

image.png.897a4827e7f7c96f8abc3a537e4c6b04.png

2 hours ago, none77 said:

Both companies don't claim that the PSU got OTP.

Well, while Enermax did have PSU people on board some time ago, they made their own platforms nonetheless. Gigabyte, i'm sure just rebadge shit without looking any further. There's still a question on why CWT didn't provide full protection information to them if they indeed do have OTP on this platform ... But either way we can't be sure it does have OTP if they don't claim it unless there was a test confirming or denying it's existence.

14 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

actually, when I asked Silverstone about their version, they explicitly noted they chose the option to add it, Enermax's support came off with nothing more than a vague "it has these protections and that doesn't list OTP" response, so GPS and OTP has been... problematic with the lack of testing to show on many units