[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

1 minute ago, Ankerson said:

Could make them red or something that would really stand out.

Or put them in BOLD or Underline them....

Or you know, keep it simple and just leave them as is. Maybe put a disclaimer saying multi-rail ≠ higher quality.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

4 minutes ago, MrBrightSyde said:

Or you know, keep it simple and just leave them as is. Maybe put a disclaimer saying multi-rail ≠ higher quality.

Or just move them all back into the list and do nothing, not pointing out they are multi-rail in the 1st place. ;)

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

40 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

So people could think that Multi-Rail is better than Single Rail.... Still Subjective and arbitrary.....

I see nothing subjective here, more protection is better than less protection, assuming the two PSUs we're talking about are otherwise comparable. Whether you think this protection works or whether it really works is irrelevant, we're just pointing out the difference between tier A units because there are people for whom this matters.

And no, adding yet another color wouldn't make it simpler for end user.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

5 minutes ago, Juular said:

I see nothing subjective here, more protection is better than less protection, assuming the two PSUs we're talking about are otherwise comparable. And no, adding yet another color wouldn't make it simpler for end user.

You wouldn't... ;)

They are at the top...... And separated from all the others.....

PEOPLE tend to look at the top 1st..... And would assume they are better..... Because they are at the top.... ;)

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

Just now, Ankerson said:

They are at the top...... And separated from all the others.....

If you fail to realize the concept between placing multi-rail and single-rail units in the same tier but still differentiating them with subcategories because they're different i can't help you. They were in the separate tiers before - people were complaining. There were a different color for multi-rail before - people were complaining. Now it can't be simpler, they're just differentiated with a subcategory. And no, dumping all the multi- and single-rail units in the same heap wouldn't happen either because it's important thing to point out. And yes, as you said, it forces the end user to do their own research, that was partly an intent behind this.

6 minutes ago, Juular said:

And yes, as you said, it forces the end user to do their own research, that was partly an intent behind this

While still feeding the Multi-Rail is better than Single Rail agenda in an subjective and arbitrary way. ;)

And without putting a disclaimer in there.

Just pointing it out.

Just now, Ankerson said:

While still feeding the Multi-Rail is better than Single Rail agenda in an subjective and arbitrary way. ;)

Show me the way to place multi-rail and single-rail units side by side while still showing the difference between them and not overcomplicating things for us and the end user of this tier list. There are none. Colors don't work. Merging them up wouldn't work. Dagger notes / bold / italics / whatever - wouldn't work. Or you suggest placing single-rail units on top ?

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

Show me the way to place multi-rail and single-rail units side by side while still showing the difference between them and not overcomplicating things for us and the end user of this tier list. There are none. Colors don't work. Merging them up wouldn't work. Dagger notes / bold / italics / whatever - wouldn't work. Or you suggest placing single-rail units on top ?

Merging them would be the easiest way and let people do their own research. ;)

But then that wouldn't feed that agenda of Multi-Rail is better now would it?

No real reason to separate them... ;)

3 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

While still feeding the Multi-Rail is better than Single agenda in an subjective and arbitrary way. ;)

here is the thing tho. in a list that is mostly concerned with protections, it kinda is. as it acts as an extra protection. 

and its a minor addition to  the protection coverage, so only really relevant when you have the rest covered. and in addition to that, its only really worth mentioning at higher wattages, so should be listed in some manner. 

well thats my tea on the topic anyways. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

here is the thing tho. in a list that is mostly concerned with protections, it kinda is. as it acts as an extra protection. 

and its a minor addition to  the protection coverage, so only really relevant when you have the rest covered. and in addition to that, its only really worth mentioning at higher wattages, so should be listed in some manner. 

well thats my tea on the topic anyways. 

That's why I said just make it simple and color them or something 1st while moving them back into the list.

But they seem to want to highlight them at the very top making a big deal out of it. ;)

5 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

But then that wouldn't feed that agenda of Multi-Rail is better now would it?

You keep repeating that. Let's compare two hypothetical 1300W PSUs made on the very same platform, say by Seasonic, one is single-rail, the other is multi-rail with the good OCP config, otherwise they're nearly identical performance and components quality wise. Why we shouldn't point out that the multi-rail unit with 40A OCP per 12V rails has better chances of saving your hardware assuming you use it right than single-rail one with 140A OCP on 12V rail ?

5 minutes ago, Juular said:

You keep repeating that. Let's compare two hypothetical 1300W PSUs made on the very same platform, say by Seasonic, one is single-rail, the other is multi-rail with the good OCP config, otherwise they're nearly identical performance and components quality wise. Why we shouldn't point out that the multi-rail unit with 40A OCP per rail has better chances of saving your hardware assuming you use it right than single-rail one with 140A OCP on all rails ?

Does it?

Or I will make it really easy...

My PSU that is single/multi-Rail switchable... HX-850

Would it really make a massive difference if I used single instead of multi if everything is used properly?

And even if something did happen to go wrong that less than 1% chance it likely wouldn't matter much anyway because that part that caused the issue would already be dead. Single or multi rail wouldn't matter.

So it wouldn't save anything....

Just now, Ankerson said:

That's why I said just make it simple and color them or something 1st while moving them back into the list.

you do realize that it would require 2 new colors right? technically 3 new colors if a multirail SFX PSU would need to be added. 

which would make the tierlist look like a rainbow, but not the easiest thing to look at. 

unless you mean to only give them a single color, which would make even less sense than seperating them. 

4 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

But they seem to want to highlight them at the very top making a big deal out of it. ;)

i mean giving them their own color ignoring the blue and gold color would highlight them. would also put either singlerail or multirail at the "top". because of a special color. 

in fact seperating them in tier A was done specifically to not highlight them, while also pointing out that these unit have a protection relevant at higher wattages. the only ones making a big deal out of it has been people who say singlerail is "better" or "the same". when there is a small difference. m

Just now, Ankerson said:

Would it really make a massive difference if I used single instead of multi if everything is used properly?

Massive ? No, not with this wattage anyway. But a difference nevertheless.

And even if something did happen to go wrong that less than 1% chance it likely wouldn't matter much anyway because that part that caused the issue would already be dead.

Do you realize that it sounds very much like 'why drive a car with a seat belt and airbags when there are 1% change you'll need them and it likely wouldn't matter anyway because you can die anyway if would be t-boned to the driver seat ?'. It's just a yet another protection, whether it would be useful in your case is irrelevant, it's there and that's it.

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

you do realize that it would require 2 new colors right? technically 3 new colors if a multirail SFX PSU would need to be added. 

which would make the tierlist look like a rainbow, but not the easiest thing to look at. 

unless you mean to only give them a single color, which would make even less sense than seperating them. 

i mean giving them their own color ignoring the blue and gold color would highlight them. would also put either singlerail or multirail at the "top". because of a special color. 

in fact seperating them in tier A was done specifically to not highlight them, while also pointing out that these unit have a protection relevant at higher wattages. the only ones making a big deal out of it has been people who say singlerail is "better" or "the same". when there is a small difference. m

There is a small difference when talking about high quality PSUs.

More protection is better than less protection and I think we all know.

No whether it's actually relevant in MOST cases is the real issue.

11 minutes ago, Juular said:

Massive ? No, not with this wattage anyway. But a difference nevertheless.

Do you realize that it sounds very much like 'why drive a car with a seat belt and airbags when there are 1% change you'll need them and it likely wouldn't matter anyway because you can die anyway if would be t-boned to the driver seat ?'. It's just a yet another protection, whether it would be useful in your case is irrelevant, it's there and that's it.

You do realize that in certain situations seatbelts actually cased peoples death because they were trapped or forced to sit up. ;)

I can think of 2 personally that happened to, and people that I knew. 

But that's OT.... So we will end that here.

Yes, it is better to have more protection than not.

Whether it's actually relevant enough to highlight it now that may be a different story.

I really don't care one way or the other because I have no skin in the game personally and I do my own research.

The Tier List is MUCH better than it was so I tend to think just leave it alone.

7 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

Whether it's actually relevant enough to highlight it now that may be a different story.

It is relevant when it comes to 1000W+ PSUs when the current difference is 100A+ in my book. But again, we don't highlight anything, we point out the difference. Highlighting would be placing multi-rail units in the tier above or making them a different color. By placing multi-rail units in the subcategory inside a tier with single-rail units of otherwise comparable quality and performance we just give an end user more information. I keep repeating myself and you don't listed, please cease this argument, it wouldn't change as this is solution we came with after having multi-rail units in the separate tiers and highlighted with another color, and more importantly, there are no alternatives other than not telling users this information at all which isn't gonna happen because it's an important bit of information.

There is a small difference when talking about high quality PSUs.

indeed there is, so who not point out stuff that can be relevant. 

2 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

No whether it's actually relevant in MOST cases is the real issue.

i could pick this appart by stating that most protections arent needed in "most cases". 

but lets be honest here, once you get to tier B, there are relativly minor things worth noting. hence you see noise being one of the things mentioned only in tier A with the use of colors. or standout units with the Gold color. 

2 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

and the writers of the list have found enough reason to highlight it. or at least point out which unit have it at high tier. 

21 minutes ago, Juular said:

It is relevant when it comes to 1000W+ PSUs when the current difference is 100A+ in my book. But again, we don't highlight anything, we point out the difference. Highlighting would be placing multi-rail units in the tier above or making them a different color. By placing multi-rail units in the subcategory inside a tier with single-rail units of otherwise comparable quality and performance we just give an end user more information. I keep repeating myself and you don't listed, please cease this argument, it wouldn't change as this is solution we came with after having multi-rail units in the separate tiers and highlighted with another color.

I really don't care one way or the other because I have no skin in the game personally and I do my own research.

The Tier List is MUCH better than it was so I tend to think just leave it alone the way it is now.

I was just pointing out the obvious.

Anything is better than the nightmare that was the last Tier List... At least this one is usable and pretty accurate.

So I am happy with it the way it is and use it and the spreadsheets...

29 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

i could pick this appart by stating that most protections arent needed in "most cases". 

but lets be honest here, once you get to tier B, there are relativly minor things worth noting. hence you see noise being one of the things mentioned only in tier A with the use of colors. or standout units with the Gold color. 

Absolutely, once you hit Tier B and below, well you know... The quality does start to go down after Tier A.  Things start to get rough in Tier C and below.

I tend to think quality is the most important factor.

18 hours ago, Juular said:

I can't find much info either except that based on external shots it looks like yet another Andyson M5 or derivative, fairly mediocre DC-DC design but that doesn't tell anything about it's actual performance. I'll add it in tier C low priority.

I found some information. I don't know how useful it is, but I wanted to write. The picture of the psu I use is attached. Under the model name, vector g750 is written on the product. Do you think it might have something to do with this model? Thanks.

c803e069877f9222b7f5486de36efc8b.jpeg

2 hours ago, gokhyildiz said:

I found some information. I don't know how useful it is, but I wanted to write. The picture of the psu I use is attached. Under the model name, vector g750 is written on the product. Do you think it might have something to do with this model? Thanks.

Hmm, HP in the model name makes me think it's a High Power unit, with HPW potentially being a new platform we don't know about.

Wouldn't be the first time Xigmatek uses High Power (Centauro and XFP were also High Power).

Honestly, without an internal shot, we can't determine if it's a new platform, a modified platform, or a rebrand of another unit.

Uses a 120mm double ball-bearing fan, doesn't claim OTP (disqualifies from Tier B), doesn't claim OCP (might still have it on minor rails, but still), and is DC/DC according to the specs on their page for the Shogun G, though the side sticker doesn't match the amps shown there so their marketing is a little sus, but that doesn't matter as much as the PSU build quality.

Honestly, just looking at the specs page, it's already a Tier C (or potentially lower) PSU.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

10 hours ago, Juular said:

Should we give you editing rights ?

Up to you.  I could just keep shouting out mistakes from my high horse.  ;)

On 9/9/2020 at 8:07 AM, numbsoul said:

Hello guys, i meed help, is this included in one of those Corsair RM Gray series? Thanks

https://dynaquestpc.com/collections/components-power-supply-700-900-watts/products/corsair-rm850-80-gold-full-modular-power-supply

rm yellow= tier c, rm gray= tier A

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

On 9/8/2020 at 10:07 PM, numbsoul said:

Hello guys, i meed help, is this included in one of those Corsair RM Gray series? Thanks

https://dynaquestpc.com/collections/components-power-supply-700-900-watts/products/corsair-rm850-80-gold-full-modular-power-supply

That is a REALLY OLD PSU.  How on EARTH does that shop still have it in stock?!!?!?

EDIT:  They used the wrong picture.  Google the part number provided, CP-9020196-NA, it's actually the NEW RM that they're selling.