[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

20 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

No no no.  That's absurd.

Eh, maybe you should look at the first page, multi rail is only listed for "high end" tier...

10 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

the option of switching back and forth is a nice feature for those that have it.

I get that 2 rails is safer allegedly but what's the point of switching rails then? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

NEED for WHAT exactly?

There is a difference between need and want.

I'm sure I don't need to explain the danger of running 100A+ on a single rail...

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Eh, maybe you should look at the first page, multi rail is only listed for "high end" tier...

I get that 2 rails is safer allegedly but what's the point of switching rails then? 

Dunno about 2 rails....

Mine has 7 Rails.... And can be switched from single to multi rail.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

1 minute ago, Elisis said:

I'm sure I don't need to explain the danger of running 100A+ on a single rail...

NEVER HAPPEN, for it to be dangerous it would need to be on a single cable from the PSU....

And that would be 1200W on a single connection...... NOT GOING TO HAPPEN...

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

10 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I'm assuming it's because by the time you actually need that much wattage that multi-rail makes sense, you shouldn't be looking at mid to low-end PSUs anyway.

10 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

get that 2 rails is safer allegedly but what's the point of switching rails then? 

Less headaches when you're running single-rail, since you don't have to worry about tripping the OCP on a certain rail if you're really hammering the overclocks on something, for example.

If you're dailying a system with multiple high power GPUs though, you might as well run it in multi-rail just to have the extra safety points.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

5 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:
31 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

That's because we only consider multi rail a substantial thing to desire on high end units.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

1 minute ago, Ankerson said:

NEVER HAPPEN, for it to be dangerous it would need to be on a single cable from the PSU....

And that would be 1200W on a single connection...... NOT GOING TO HAPPEN...

The reason for Multi Rail, especially with 1000W+ units is that the resistance for the PSU to detect a short is ridiculously low. This is a problem because the voltage is relatively low. So a faulty connector + the resistance on the board can give you enough resistance for the PSU to not detect the fault - which can then cause a Fire. You can see that in the Overclockers "Why Single Rail is NOT better" link. Because that is essentially what happened. A short that was not low impedance enough, combined with a 1600W Single Rail PSU...

Another example of the Problems that can happen is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h3HqqPOS_M

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

3 minutes ago, Elisis said:

That's because we only consider multi rail a substantial thing to desire on high end units.

So the whole being safer (for mid tier) is just marketing bs? Oof.

Well I do think I didn't choose bad as I really like my current be quiet... I just wanted to check if it's not totally inadequate or something, didn't know anything about multi rails lol. :o

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:
8 minutes ago, Elisis said:

So the whole being safer (for mid tier) is just marketing bs? Oof.

It *does not* matter below around 1000w, so mostly, yes.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

35 minutes ago, Elisis said:

The reason for Multi Rail, especially with 1000W+ units is that the resistance for the PSU to detect a short is ridiculously low. This is a problem because the voltage is relatively low. So a faulty connector + the resistance on the board can give you enough resistance for the PSU to not detect the fault - which can then cause a Fire. You can see that in the Overclockers "Why Single Rail is NOT better" link. Because that is essentially what happened. A short that was not low impedance enough, combined with a 1600W Single Rail PSU...

Another example of the Problems that can happen is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h3HqqPOS_M

Yes, I remember that BS video with the thin wires.... That Couldn't be repeated with the proper wire gauge and cables. ;)

And then all the complete BS that followed... Like that joke of a tier list not long after........ Was a real tragedy.... 🙄 

That's the problem with taking things at face value....... And not looking into it deeper...🙄

Thankfully the new list is more realistic and actually well done...

43 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I'm quite familiar with the arbitrary and subjective list.  Thank you.

10 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

I'm quite familiar with the arbitrary and subjective list.  Thank you.

When are they going to start testing PSUs again off your Site?

I really enjoyed those....

43 minutes ago, Elisis said:

It *does not* matter below around 1000w, so mostly, yes.

An short with an 83A load is going to melt just as much wire as a 100A load.  So to say that it matters over 1000W and not under 1000W just points moreso to the fact that people still don't understand what OCP is for.

Look... As I've said in many videos, articles, etc., multiple +12V rails is nice to have when you have a device short, like a fan controller or hard drive, and the PSU doesn't detect it as a short.   But that happens so infrequently and when it does, eventually the PSU does detect it as a short and the PSU shuts down.  Worse case scenario:  burnt wire (replaceable) and fried component that would have been fried either way.

Rln13ww.jpeg

If the PSU is actually engulfed in flames:
RpIbLkj.jpg

Then they're not even using UL 94 V0 rated connectors and wires.

But no... Let's not talk about quality of components... let's talk about whether or not the PSU has multiple +12V rails or not.

3 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

When are they going to start testing PSUs again off your Site?

I really enjoyed those....

Probably never.  Place is a ghost town.

6 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Probably never.  Place is a ghost town.

Oh well, was a thought anyway, it was kinda clicky....

Saw more than a few forums die because of that.... Not many things make a forum die faster....

23 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

But no... Let's not talk about quality of components... let's talk about whether or not the PSU has multiple +12V rails or not.

Yeah. exactly...

Heaven forbid we talk about quality because that goes against the grain...  ;)

19 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

*snip*

I'm not trying to disparage your posts or antagonize you.  I believe what you see is that only PSUs with multiple +12V rails are high end and only high end PSUs have multiple +12V rails.  What I am telling you is that the list is arbitrary.  You're coming to a conclusion based on what someone that does not represent all of the facts is putting forward as "official' or "completely factual".

The list is good for steering people in the right direction.  I'll give it that.  But your take away is a prime example of the subjectivity of the list.  Your take away was that in order to ensure you get a high quality PSU, you must have one with multiple +12V rails and that simply isn't true.

Edited by wkdpaul

42 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

Oh well, was a thought anyway, it was kinda clicky....

Saw more than a few forums die because of that.... Not many things make a forum die faster....

No.  It's because the guy who was left in charge hasn't done any work on the site.  There's missing reviews, features in the forum that are broken, etc.  It's just completely unkempt because some people don't realize that maintaining a proper website is a full time job.

13 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

No.  It's because the guy who was left in charge hasn't done any work on the site.  There's missing reviews, features in the forum that are broken, etc.  It's just completely unkempt because some people don't realize that maintaining a proper website is a full time job.

I know it does, I used to be one of the ADMINs on a forum and it is exactly that..

Full time job and a lot of work.... And really a thankless job...

That all said... I really, really, really, really, LOVE the spreadsheet.  

I have to say that.

I even use it myself when I can't remember if something is double forward or LLC or can't remember who the OEM is and don't want to go fishing for an old review.  The work done on that spreadsheet is GOLDEN.

6 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

I believe what you see is that only PSUs with multiple +12V rails are high end and only high end PSUs have multiple +12V rails.

Excuse me, but we never said that any multi-rail PSU would be better than any single-rail one. In the case of bq! PP11 it isn't even worth mentioning that it's multi-rail because it doesn't matter for this PSU, it's a budget unit, if you're using it in the system where multi-rail matters - you're doing it wrong anyway.

6 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

That all said... I really, really, really, really, LOVE the spreadsheet. 

Should we give you editing rights ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

9 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

So multi rail is only high priced, high tier stuff from the looks of it or?

Tier A multi-rail and single-rail units are in the same tier ... Currently at least, they were used to be in different tiers but there were constant holy wars here about it (like one going on right now) so we decided to move multi-rail units in the same tier with single-rail. I'd still recommend a good multi-rail unit if you need a 1000W+ PSU any day, but in your case it doesn't matter. If you want high-end PSU, just look at tier A as a whole, multi-rail or not.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

50 minutes ago, Juular said:

Tier A multi-rail and single-rail units are in the same tier ... Currently at least, they were used to be in different tiers but there were constant holy wars here about it (like one going on right now) so we decided to move multi-rail units in the same tier with single-rail.

Like they should have been all a long before they changed it to that disaster that was on the forum for too long. Too long was for more than 1 second as it was based on some BS in the 1st place as some got all sideways and carried away over some video on YT. So they redid the tier list based on BS alone and it was an absolute disaster. Anything 750W and over had to be multi-rail or it was moved down to lower tiers.... THAT WAS COMPLETE TOTAL CRAP.... And a total complete misrepresentation of the facts.

That was the reason for the arguments and rightly so.

Thankfully it is better now than it was and useable again, still subjective in some ways, but much better than it used to be.. At least it does point people in the right direction to start doing their research.

Not sure how it could be better, maybe just making the Multi-Rail PSUs a different color than the Single rail units and moving everything back into the same list in Tier A. Could be less confusing to some as I did see the questions here in the thread and there is still some issues regarding it. The way it is now it still points people to Multi-Rail PSUs before the Single Rail PSUs... So people could think that Multi-Rail is better than Single Rail.... Still Subjective and arbitrary.....

30 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

maybe just making the Multi-Rail PSUs a different color than the Single rail units and moving everything back into the same list in Tier A.

God no. There are already way too many colours going on already, so that isn't really a viable option.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

3 minutes ago, Elisis said:

God no. There are already way too many colours going on already, so that isn't really a viable option.

Could make them red or something that would really stand out.

Or put them in BOLD or Underline them....

Just an idea anyway.