[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

12 hours ago, Wlayey said:

Quick question: why is the Straight Power 11 Gold is colored in the list as a better PSU, than the Platinum one?

Because it performs better...? You can find testing on Tomshardware and Cybenetics.

:)

On 8/29/2020 at 9:16 AM, Juular said:

Shrek powered group regulated platform lol. Well, we could split off 80+ Bronze version of it to tier D but i really don't see how that would help anyone.

It could help Spanish, Portuguese and Brazillian buyers stay away from a PSU whose review units used a completely different platform. Why would you keep tiering it as a PUQ-B when it has been demonstrated that it's not? (I can provide additional evidence to you if needed, but privately)

43 minutes ago, breixobaloca said:

It could help Spanish, Portuguese and Brazillian buyers stay away from a PSU whose review units used a completely different platform. Why would you keep tiering it as a PUQ-B when it has been demonstrated that it's not? (I can provide additional evidence to you if needed, but privately)

Not sure what you're talking about, NOX Urano VX is in tier E, all versions unless noted otherwise. Most PUQ-B units since they're DC-DC would end up in tier C. And NOX Urano TX 80+ Bronze (not Green Power) indeed is (or were at the time of sole 2017 review) based on PUQ-B and tiered accordingly. But if you think we're doing something wrong here you can provide any information you have publicly, no need to go private.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

7 hours ago, Juular said:

Not sure what you're talking about, NOX Urano VX is in tier E, all versions unless noted otherwise. Most PUQ-B units since they're DC-DC would end up in tier C. And NOX Urano TX 80+ Bronze (not Green Power) indeed is (or were at the time of sole 2017 review) based on PUQ-B and tiered accordingly. But if you think we're doing something wrong here you can provide any information you have publicly, no need to go private.

Nox Urano TX Bronze is being tiered as a PUQ-B PSU based on a nov-2017 review. The problem is that a dec-2017 video (the Shrek one) shows that it's NOT a PUQ-B, but a ¿GPM? instead. The point is that the video was published by a Portuguese store, most likely opening their own retail units, instead of a review sample which could have been manipulated before sending it to the website.

As for the additional evidence, it's just some internal pics from another source, but I was asked to keep them private when I received them. To sum up, there's enough evidence to think that Urano TX 850W "Bronze" is just like the "Green Power" internally, or at least it was the case back when the review was published, and that's why I complain about having it in Tier C.

Well, it's good to see why exactly the PSUs are in the current row, but I see things only for some of the PSUs. E.g. why is the Cougar VTE Bronze in tier D? Does it mean that in a 370-430 W system with a locked CPU and a non-6-pin 75 W GPU my system is gonna burn? Or if I put a 6-pin gtx 1060 (120W) it would fail? Really, where you can, you 'd better put, like, a link to jonnyguru or another guru/critic's review, or to write at least 'it has no deep reviews' in the places where you actually really can. This Cougar is really affordable in my country and I don't see it being some old one, and in my local shops it seems to circulate recently, not just in some suspicious site.

If it's guaranteed to be so disastrous, why would these things be in the internet:

https://cougargaming.com/bg/products/psus/vte/

https://www.eteknix.com/cougar-vte-500w-power-supply-review/2/

15 hours ago, Stain Lock said:

Well, it's good to see why exactly the PSUs are in the current row, but I see things only for some of the PSUs. E.g. why is the Cougar VTE Bronze in tier D?

If you don't see anything special mentioned about the tiering of some specific PSU then you can just assume the it doesn't meet a requirements for the tier above, which is the case for this PSU since it's not independently regulated.

Does it mean that in a 370-430 W system with a locked CPU and a non-6-pin 75 W GPU my system is gonna burn?

No, but that means that it can be unstable because there are crossloads in 400W system even if it doesn't have a dedicated GPU and crossloads are the bane of group regulated PSUs, they just can't keep voltages in specs under some cases. But it doesn't mean they'll explode, although most tier D units here aren't made to the same standards as higher tier PSUs so premature failure under heavy load is definitely possible with some of them compared to better built units.

Really, where you can, you 'd better put, like, a link to jonnyguru or another guru/critic's review, or to write at least 'it has no deep reviews' in the places where you actually really can.

Not sure what you're trying to say, we literally have a spreadsheet full of reviews and units in which position we not sure in get their own low priority subtier.

13 hours ago, Juular said:

If you don't see anything special mentioned about the tiering of some specific PSU then you can just assume the it doesn't meet a requirements for the tier above, which is the case for this PSU since it's not independently regulated.

No, but that means that it can be unstable because there are crossloads in 400W system even if it doesn't have a dedicated GPU and crossloads are the bane of group regulated PSUs, they just can't keep voltages in specs under some cases. But it doesn't mean they'll explode, although most tier D units here aren't made to the same standards as higher tier PSUs so premature failure under heavy load is definitely possible with some of them compared to better built units.

Not sure what you're trying to say, we literally have a spreadsheet full of reviews and units in which position we not sure in get their own low priority subtier.

Seems like. After something like 1-2 hours checking the total info on the net about it, I saw things about the voltage, too, despite of the protections, with also some user complaints about failure, seemingly more and sharper than the such ones for any of the new Corsair's equivalents & 'neighbours' in wattage. Warranty sounds useless if I'll have to return it and have to switch to another brand afterwards and I still may put 120-150 W gpu sometime with some other accessories in the next months, maybe an year.

This spreadsheet seems improved. Well, for the VTE I saw 'TE', I guess it's the same (?), this in the Change-log section; after this in the C-letter section I really found two useful aditional links to the one I mentioned here, where google translate did some good job. Really, I had to scroll and investigate some more in this datasheet, this has to be admitted. The tier list maintained here appears to be the best ranking-one when it comes to searching and scrolling in the internet about PSUs' quality as at it can give at least common orientation about it. Still, mb direct links/hyperlinks from the name of the PSU or reasons in short below the psu tier list itself in different font may be helpful, I dunno. I'd almost say it's ez and perfected, but the separate datasheet with having to scroll to right to find the letters and Ctrl+F to search for what I need while in the correct section(s) seems(a bit of) complicated for me. I usually don't get confused by such. At least more complicated than hyperlinks and short infos below, like how it's done for some of the units. Things like '[1] Seasonic S12II and related units have or had UVP issues, source.in the end of the Tier D's group would probably make this list serve, like perfectly without being too much in space.

Despite of this the list here deserves to be printed in every new PSU's box. A bit hard to believe that I had to exclude more than 30 PSUs to finally choose what 'd (most likely) do me the best job from the PSUs around, but I guess it's worth.

Anyway, I've ordered a Corsair CX 450 (Gray, CWT) relatively cheap, seems like it's getting end-of life production or limited production mb, at least I see very few ones remaining around where I live. Whatever, I have kinda' good hopes about it and I guess it'll be as quiet and good as they say.

Hi,

I am planning to buy 3080 so I need your opinion which PSU to buy?

Corsair HX750i or Seasonic PRIME-PX-750

Thank you!

8 minutes ago, max7bg said:

Hi,

Thank you!

Either one is fine, but I would lean towards the HX750i.

I run both Seasonic Prime Ti's (650W and 750W) in 2 systems and an HX850 in my main system.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

@Ankerson
Thank you for your reply. Any particular reason for going with Corsair instead of Seasonic or it is just your personal preferenc?

1 minute ago, max7bg said:

@Ankerson
Thank you for your reply. Any particular reason for going with Corsair instead of Seasonic or it is just your personal preferenc?

HXi is multirail and you get a better fan. 

depending on where you are located, you may have other units that could be considered. 

@GoldenLag

Well once 3080 hits the shelves I am going to replace my 1070 and pair it with my 8700k. Currently I have RM550x. What's your opinion do I need to go for Platinum PSU or I can go with for example RM750x? I can get RM750x for 125 euros while HX would set me back 190 euros.

5 hours ago, max7bg said:

Hi,

Thank you!

1 hour ago, max7bg said:

@Ankerson

3 minutes ago, max7bg said:

@GoldenLag

Well once 3080 hits the shelves I am going to replace my 1070 and pair it with my 8700k. Currently I have RM550x. What's your opinion do I need to go for Platinum PSU or I can go with for example RM750x? I can get RM750x for 125 euros while HX would set me back 190 euros.

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

Hi Toughpower Grand RGB Gold 850w and High Power Super GD 850w  it looks like the same products. I have a super gd 850w internal structures are very similar. Thank you.

Thermaltake Grand rgb gold 850w manufactured by Sirfa/High Power.

https://www.thermaltake.com/thermaltake-toughpower-grand-rgb-850w-gold-rgb-sync-edition.html

http://www.highpower-tech.com/Global/product_page.php?class=20170504184907&id=20170504185328

Are the two products the same?

21 minutes ago, Jarex said:

Hi Toughpower Grand RGB Gold 850w and High Power Super GD 850w  it looks like the same products. I have a super gd 850w internal structures are very similar. Thank you.

Thermaltake Grand rgb gold 850w manufactured by Sirfa/High Power.

https://www.thermaltake.com/thermaltake-toughpower-grand-rgb-850w-gold-rgb-sync-edition.html

http://www.highpower-tech.com/Global/product_page.php?class=20170504184907&id=20170504185328

Well, they use the same platform which is why they look similar. The TP Grand RGB Gold does have issues however, like loose load regulation, high inrush current, OTP not set correctly. So they aren't exactly the same.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

22 minutes ago, MrBrightSyde said:

Well, they use the same platform which is why they look similar. The TP Grand RGB Gold does have issues however, like loose load regulation, high inrush current, OTP not set correctly. So they aren't exactly the same.

I looked through the grid holes inside the super gd 850 and it looked very similar. There was doubt in me. 
Now ı can be sure that my product is A tier. Thank you.

On 10/23/2019 at 7:16 PM, LukeSavenije said:

you want a tier e?

Yes. I'll even help you out. Here's a good one to put on Tier E:

tenor.gif

I don't know much about them but I do know they only tend to last 2-3 years and aren't able to work 24/7. Also it has some of the worst coilwhine known to exist.

2 hours ago, targetsfire said:

I looked through the grid holes inside the super gd 850 and it looked very similar. There was doubt in me. 
Now ı can be sure that my product is A tier. Thank you.

I mean, you can look at the changelog on the spreadsheet. It's Tier A, low priority since it's just a Super GD but slightly worse

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

20 hours ago, max7bg said:

Either will do just fine, get the cheapest option.

14 hours ago, targetsfire said:

Toughpower Grand RGB Gold 850w and High Power Super GD 850w

Essentially, yes, aside of RGB bits.

13 hours ago, MrBrightSyde said:

The TP Grand RGB Gold does have issues however, like loose load regulation, high inrush current, OTP not set correctly.

We don't have detailed reviews for High Power Super GD so it may have the same issues. Speaking of which, we should detier it since they didn't list any protections on the product page, not to mention OTP ...

1 hour ago, Juular said:

Either will do just fine, get the cheapest option.

Essentially, yes, aside of RGB bits.

We don't have detailed reviews for High Power Super GD so it may have the same issues. Speaking of which, we should detier it since they didn't list any protections on the product page, not to mention OTP ...

Thermaltake |  Grand RGB Gold (Sync Edition) / Grand RGB Platinum Tier C?

High Power Super GD Tier A? I was wondering why?

This is the only review I can find.

https://www.ixbt.com/supply/high-power-super-gd-850-review.html

I think this is a similar platform. There seems to be some differences.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/silverstone-strider-platinum-st85f-pt-power-supply,4736-3.html

Hey guys, hows it going?

can somebody give me some feedback on this particular model:

GameMax RGB 550W Modular 80 Plus Gold

i got a new GPU (Rx 570 Polaris) and my PC dies every time i open a game or something graphic related

any info would be welcome. i have it in my basket ready to purchase but id like your opinion.

PS. i didn't choose because of the rgb ok it was just a happy coincidence 

1 hour ago, targetsfire said:

Thermaltake |  Grand RGB Gold (Sync Edition) / Grand RGB Platinum Tier C?

Because it has 5VSB voltage going out of spec before it's OCP triggering point but speaking of which, we actually don't require in spec performance on sub 110% overload for a while now, it must have been tiered there before that. So we'll move it back to tier A in the next revision (to low priority subtier to signify that it has some minor problems).