[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

B tier like SF Eco Silver good enough for R5-3600+2060?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

52 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

B tier like SF Eco Silver good enough for R5-3600+2060?

If that's your only option - sure.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Thank you for such a great resource. I have some follow up questions:

1. Is the latest RMx sold by Amazon.com/Corsair.com still the 2018 edition or is there now a newer revision? I just ordered one from Amazon that is on back order, so hoping it is still the gold colored 2018 edition or better.

2. I see that there is a 2020 version of the Seasonic GX. Is the 2020 model still considered blue or could it possibly have improved and upgraded to gold? Wonder if newer version has been tested yet to confirm.

Thanks!

56 minutes ago, ZzBloopzZ said:

Thank you for such a great resource. I have some follow up questions:

1. Is the latest RMx sold by Amazon.com/Corsair.com still the 2018 edition or is there now a newer revision? I just ordered one from Amazon that is on back order, so hoping it is still the gold colored 2018 edition or better.

2. I see that there is a 2020 version of the Seasonic GX. Is the 2020 model still considered blue or could it possibly have improved and upgraded to gold? Wonder if newer version has been tested yet to confirm.

Thanks!

1. It's still the 2018 edition, but I think you mistyped since gold colored would be an RM 2013. I think you just meant gold efficiency.

2. The Seasonic Focus GX is the 2020 model. The 2019 and earlier models are Seasonic Focus Plus FX. The GX is the model they produced to fix the FX series problem with high transient GPUs like the AMD Vega series, iirc.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

1 hour ago, ZzBloopzZ said:

you can generally see on length if it's the 2015 or 2018 version... but outside of pysical size there's not really a matter for consumers between the two, as the main push for the new RMx was the lower production cost for Corsair, while keeping the same level of performance

1 hour ago, ZzBloopzZ said:

GM and GX almost, but not quite meet the standards we put to the guild ratings... this doesn't make it a bad unit, but just not good enough for that. PX (new) does meet it. there have been tests done with it, like the Phanteks Amp reviews on Tomshardware

36 minutes ago, MrBrightSyde said:

2. The Seasonic Focus GX is the 2020 model. The 2019 and earlier models are Seasonic Focus Plus FX. The GX is the model they produced to fix the FX series problem with high transient GPUs like the AMD Vega series, iirc.

very close, focus FX v2 technically had the transient issues already fixed, but because of it having two versions on the platform we can't guarantee entirely which you get, and for that reason we do still gray them out. the difference between fx v2 and gx (focus v3 then) is that the in-cable caps have been removed and some caps have been added internally

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

6 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

very close, focus FX v2 technically had the transient issues already fixed, but because of it having two versions on the platform we can't guarantee entirely which you get, and for that reason we do still gray them out. the difference between fx v2 and gx (focus v3 then) is that the in-cable caps have been removed and some caps have been added internally

Ok, got it. Thanks for the info. I was slightly confused on whether they did make a v2 or if they made GX to fix the problems.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

I have two questions. Firstly, why is the Straight Power 11 Gold considered a better unit compared to the new Straight Power 11 Platinum. With Super Flower finally appearing in the U.S market, I'm curious where would the LEADEX Platinum SE 1000W fall on this list?

The Inter-Tech SAMA ARMOR Gold and iTek Taurus GF are the same PSU under a different brand name.
What I'm trying to say, it's that OEM's the same for both PSUs, but one's sold by iTek under the Taurus GF name and the other's already EOL SAMA Armor gold.
I hope I'm not wrong, and BTW I have the iTek Taurus GF650 and it's fine, and I can confirm there's at primary a "Nichicon" 105°C (even if it doesn't mean much), if you need some photos just tell me, but I won't open it again because I cut myself even with leather gloves.
Another thing to notice and I'm not sure if all PSUs have this, if you touch the socket which was at the wall of the PSU, even if turned off you might get a shock...

First) iTek Taurus GF750 inside (different primary capacitator for some reason from mine GF650).
Source: Here
Second) Sama Armor Gold 550w.
Source: Here

iTek Taurus GF 750W 80plusGold 5.jpg

sama armor 550.jpg

On 8/10/2020 at 12:45 AM, Ritsuka said:

Firstly, why is the Straight Power 11 Gold considered a better unit compared to the new Straight Power 11 Platinum. 

Off the top of my head, the ripple suppression on the Platinum is substantially worse (they either did away with the in-cable caps or something, I'm not sure) and for some reason they threw in dual EPS connectors, despite the EPS rail not being strong enough to actually sustain the current of two EPS connectors, particularly on the lower wattage models. Don't quote me on it though.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 hour ago, GABRYCA said:

The Inter-Tech SAMA ARMOR Gold and iTek Taurus GF are the same PSU under a different brand name.

We know, the reason why Taurus GF is in tier C while SAMA Armor is in tier A is that there are no mention of OTP on Taurus GF spec sheet which is a requirement for tier B and up.

You're right, there're only OVP, SCP, OPP, OVP, UVP, SIP mentioned but not OTP.

Thanks

According to Cougar's website, the GX-F Aurum runs with a zero-RPM fan mode under 40% load ;

Is it not being highlighted as "quiet under moderate load" in the tier list because of the overall quality, because of a subpar fan?..

15 minutes ago, electropical1412 said:

According to Cougar's website, the GX-F Aurum runs with a zero-RPM fan mode under 40% load ;

Is it not being highlighted as "quiet under moderate load" in the tier list because of the overall quality, or because of a subpar fan?

the fact that Cougar calls it quiet, doesn't mean it meets our standards of that. as GX-F doesn't meet it, and GX-F Aurum doesn't have the testing we need on it, it doesn't meet it until proven otherwise

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

the fact that Cougar calls it quiet, doesn't mean it meets our standards of that. as GX-F doesn't meet it, and GX-F Aurum doesn't have the testing we need on it, it doesn't meet it until proven otherwise

I have found this review of the 550W version, but I don't know if the methodology itself meets your standards ;

(EDIT : Btw, I'm not some Cougar fanboy, I was only asking because the GX-F Aurum is the only Tier A unit I could find where I live (PSU shortages...), and was wondering whether I should pull the trigger or wait for better/safer units ; for now I'll be holding off...)

7 hours ago, electropical1412 said:

I have found this review of the 550W version, but I don't know if the methodology itself meets your standards

we have the full methodology in the source sheet for this reason

gxf is overall a good unit, but just doesn't meet a rather high standard we set for the loudness to call it truly "quiet"

8 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

we have the full methodology in the source sheet for this reason

gxf is overall a good unit, but just doesn't meet a rather high standard we set for the loudness to call it truly "quiet"

I was referring to the testing methodology (i.e. is the testing rigorous enough to trust the published results+conclusions?), not the ranking methodology (= the criterias that determine what tier the PSU will end up in = what's detailed in the spreadsheet) ;

Anyway, the fan not kicking in even under 100% load isn't reassuring to say the least ;
Is this a normal behaviour for "high-end" PSUs, or should it be considered an issue?

I have an axrx vega 56 UV/OC'd to 1620mhz +50 power limit 920vram.
I'm currently looking for a power supply for it but I'm finding it hard to decide as I want one that'll last me well which is 100 euro or lower.
-Thanks

1 hour ago, Animoo said:

I have an axrx vega 56 UV/OC'd to 1620mhz +50 power limit 920vram.
I'm currently looking for a power supply for it but I'm finding it hard to decide as I want one that'll last me well which is 100 euro or lower.
-Thanks

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

Hi! Greetings from India... I hope you are all doing well!

@LukeSavenije I have a question regarding the Deepcool / Gamer Storm | DQ-M under multi-rail recommendation. 

I have found the listing for DEEPCOOL DQ750-M-V2L POWER SUPPLY and DEEPCOOL DQ750-M-V2L WH POWER SUPPLY on https://www.vedantcomputers.com/products/power-supply. They are both gold certified and I do not know enough about PSUs to discern any subtle differences.

So, are these the same PSU recommended on the list? If yes, why is one labelled as WH?

I have another query...

On the same website, Corsair TX series is also listed. How would I know if this is an old model or an updated model?

While I understand you guys have a lot on your plate, perhaps you can link the recommended PSU models to their corresponding manuefacturer's website so the buyers can compare the current model number and photographs with the sellers'. 

Thank you!

1 hour ago, imamon said:

Hi! Greetings from India... I hope you are all doing well!

@LukeSavenije I have a question regarding the Deepcool / Gamer Storm | DQ-M under multi-rail recommendation. 

I have found the listing for DEEPCOOL DQ750-M-V2L POWER SUPPLY and DEEPCOOL DQ750-M-V2L WH POWER SUPPLY on https://www.vedantcomputers.com/products/power-supply. They are both gold certified and I do not know enough about PSUs to discern any subtle differences.

So, are these the same PSU recommended on the list? If yes, why is one labelled as WH?

For me, the product photos and the box make the subtle difference quite clear. The WH one is white :)

@imamon First, DQ-M and DQ-M-V2L are different PSUs. 'WH' one is just white colored. New Corsair TX is TX-m, there are no other TX-m's, it's also Gold rated while older TX were Bronze.

4 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

For me, the product photos and the box make the subtle difference quite clear. The WH one is white :)

Yes, but as I said I do not know enough about PSU. For me, WH could well mean 80+ white rating and the sellers had mislabelled the item, which does happen here.