[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

1 hour ago, Gaming Cutter said:

Here is the Updated 2020 tier List

without

• methodology
  • sources
  • you mention Hydro PTM as PT, which is a different model
  • you tier the old high current as high as AXi
  • you tier PSUs that are the same thing in totally different tiers
  • it looks a suspicious lot like a bad knockoff of the PCMR PSU tier list... from like 2015 or something
  • ever knew that a heavier PSU doesn't indicate the quality of the components anymore? that hasn't been for years now
  • there's more than just UVP and OVP. no mention of ocp, otp, opp, scp and so on
  • TDP totally isn't accurate
  • Users don't own Chroma's
  • 80 plus isn't the only certification of efficiency out there
  • your pros and cons seem to be ripped off straight from Aris... suspiciously similar style

but that's just a couple things I noticed here, without going into every single error

(edit: this was to a now deleted post)

So is that Segotep worth buying over Corsair TX550M for example just for the slight lower price but higher wattage and amperage?

3 minutes ago, AndrewR. said:

So is that Segotep worth buying over Corsair TX550M for example just for the slight lower price but higher wattage and amperage?

Well, yes, if it's cheaper.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

I recently ordered an EVGA 1000PQ (Like New) on Amazon Warehouse for $130 which I think is a really good deal considering the PSU shortages everywhere, and was wondering if you could go a little bit more in-depth on why this specific psu is in the B+ category/what problems this PSU has. I tried looking up reviews online and couldn't find alot of information and would it make more sense to just cancel the order and pick a psu in the A tier instead.

22 minutes ago, chair888 said:

I tried looking up reviews online and couldn't find alot of information

And this seems to be exactly EVGA strategy. They flood the market with random lineups on random platforms with random names and don't send any review samples.

This particular lineup seems to be based on upgraded platform from EVGA GQ =>850W (which as Gold) - FSP, ACRF primary, DC-DC secondary. ACRF topology objectively performs worse than LLC resonant and that's why it's in tier B+, units utilizing it still can be very good, just not on the level of other high-end ones which in this day all utilize LLC resonant topology. No data on the performance of this particular implementation and i can't even predict anything since they've obviously did some changes to platform to lift it up to Platinum level, which can potentially result in lower performance in aspects other than efficiency.

So ... yeah, if you have high-end build and you can and willing to return this PSU - that wouldn't be a bad idea, there should be smth better for similiar price.

Any info on the new EVGA GT?

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

2 minutes ago, Ralf said:

looking like a HEC TPK (Cougar GX-F) judging from the back, but no official confirmation or internal shots found yet

2 minutes ago, Ralf said:

Looks like HEC TPK which is platform behind Cougar GX-F. The only 'source' is what you see through the exhaust grille, as EVGA didn't yet and likely wouldn't provide any review samples, the only hope is that someone would buy it and disassemble.

So why is now cooler master mwe white v2 230V tier B, previously it was tier D.

Is it recommend over corsair vs or not.

13 minutes ago, Tim Serious said:

Is it recommend over corsair vs or not.

Yes, definitely.

13 minutes ago, Tim Serious said:

So why is now cooler master mwe white v2 230V tier B, previously it was tier D.

We've determined that we can't trust the data of hardware.info review that has >120mV ripple, that might be either a measurement error (as they don't have a line conditioner) or one-off issue (that was an early sample). Aris have tested some of those PSUs for Cybenetics and doesn't show such values, there are very low load higher than expected ripple of 80mV tho but it isn't that critical to detier it to tier D.

What's the difference between Segotep GP-G and GP-G-FM?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

3 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

What's the difference between Segotep GP-G and GP-G-FM?

Full modularity, apparently.

1 minute ago, Juular said:

Full modularity, apparently.

So internals and performance are the same?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

1 minute ago, genexis_x said:

So internals and performance are the same?

Might be a good idea to link a specific model you see. But fully-modular GP600G seems to be exactly the same as non-modular one aside of the presence of modular board.

http://www.pcpop.com/article/1123226_all.shtml

https://lab501.ro/carcase-surse/review-segotep-gp600g-500w/3

Little we know about their performance tho, even though Enermax Platimax DF is based on this platform, capacitors and MOSFETs are different which can affect performance negatively.

6 minutes ago, Juular said:

Might be a good idea to link a specific model you see

https://segotep.my/gp700g/
https://segotep.my/gp700g-fm/
these 2

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

The absolute cheapest B tier PSU I have access to is Zalman GigaMax GVII. Everything but the 550W version is sold out almost everywhere, which is okay since I don't have anything power hungry. However, seeing how different watt models can be placed in different tiers, I wanted to ask if it is the case with this model too.

Also, there is another Zalman model named "wattgiga". I was unable to find any information about this model in the internet, only one store has a listing for it. Confusingly, it shares the ZM###-GVII naming convention. It also has 550 and 650w versions, and I have no idea if they are good.

Here are all the models I mentioned, any clues to which one I should prefer?

https://www.sinerji.gen.tr/zalman-550w-zm550-gvii-gigamax-80-bronze-guc-kaynagi-p-35984

https://www.incehesap.com/zalman-wattgiga-k550w-zm550-gvii-550w-power-supply-fiyati-45899/

https://www.incehesap.com/zalman-zm650-gvii-650w-120mm-80-power-supply-fiyati-45898/

@Atgz It's probably local version of GigaMax, possibly with some changes but if info provided by that retailer can be trusted it's still DC-DC PSU on the same platform as GigaMax and specs look identical too.

And i'm not confident in how good this PSU performs despite it's DC-DC, there are no thorough tests of this platform.

Although in Turkey you can get High Power Performance GD for 15-20$ more, it's a platform of Chieftec Polaris which Aris have reviewed just recently, it's a pretty good PSU for the money.

3 hours ago, Juular said:

Although in Turkey you can get High Power Performance GD for 15-20$ more

Since this PSU is going into a $600 build, I think that $20 is spent better elsewhere :P

I checked everywhere and even the Zalman Turkey wholesale distributor does not have a listing for the PSU I mentioned. But apparently it is sold in several other European countries too, according to a comment on a random Russian website. The only other "wattgiga" branded PSU is a semi-modular one exclusive to the Korean market, different from the "wattgiga K" branding we have here. Zalman products aren't that common here either, so it's a bit bizarre we got two different versions of the same PSU this time :P

Anyways, thanks for the recommendation! Coincidentally, your discussions with @viceice about that high power PSU helped me finish another build some days ago :P

+Is the SuperNova GA in the Tier B+ list EVGA's new Supernova GA lineup?

39 minutes ago, ZeRedz said:

+Is the SuperNova GA in the Tier B+ list EVGA's new Supernova GA lineup?

Yes, as one can imagine, 'Supernova GA' mentioned in the tier list is 'Supernova GA'.

5 hours ago, Juular said:

Yes, as one can imagine, 'Supernova GA' mentioned in the tier list is 'Supernova GA'.

i wanted to ask a possibly dumb question

my gpu stays cool about 55-60 degrees with a high fan profile, gpu consumes about 150-160w average in many games

so it means this heat is continously transferred to the case itself

i wondered the other day and opened the case in such a game. turned out, top of the psu's gets very warm (not hand hurting but surely warm)

would the casing hold the heat at bay? or can that heat affect the lifetime of caps?

this is what my setup looks like

i also got my hand on the psu's back and it was very cold (no hot air was coming out), the psu fan was also working silently (gpu 160w cpu 50w so i think 750w high power psu didn't work itself too much in that situation, i guess?)

i have two intake fans but one of them is blocked by 4 big chunks of hard drives 

do you think i should change my case to a better one with a psu shroud since i don't even use those dvd drive trays...?

or is it okay this way_?

image.png.6ab4d5de4c058d82e0e0bbbb8e2df85a.png

12 minutes ago, Juular said:

@viceice What PSU you're talking about ?

high power performnce gd