[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

@Juular also maybe the issue in focus plus was fixed? Like there's like 2 people in a tech discord im in and like:
One has tried a vega 56 n rtx 2060 with a 3600 with no problems

and this other guy "I've been using a seasonic focus plus 550w since last april. used it with I think 10 different cards

most power hungry was probably an r9 fury"

Apparently theyre saying the fixes that were made(the ones in 2018) to focus plus actually fixed it(although people on this forum said that it didnt)

Edit: Yeah I think i'm just gonna run under that basis, there's no proof that these fixes didn't actually fix it, like if these people havent had a problem with theirs on these high transient GPUs i have no reason to believe it wasnt actually fixed in 2018 when seasonic did so

1 hour ago, NeptuneIX said:

also maybe the issue in focus plus was fixed?

Ehh, Focus is in the eol phase anyway and it's replaced by GX. But the problems with FX concerned the first revisions and only a small group with a specific gpu used.
I know people who build very efficient workstations (e.g. 4x Titan RTX, selected 7980xe with massive LC etc.), hundreds of Focus went through their hands paired with different cards and they had no problems reported by their customers at all.

22 minutes ago, Sapphiree said:

Ehh, Focus is in the eol phase anyway and it's replaced by GX. But the problems with FX concerned the first revisions and only a small group with a specific gpu used.
I know people who build very efficient workstations (e.g. 4x Titan RTX, selected 7980xe with massive LC etc.), hundreds of Focus went through their hands paired with different cards and they had no problems reported by their customers at all.

yep it appears so, if the date in the serial number is actually the date (1804 which means 4th month of 2018) then im fine since the fixed focus plus models started production in january(stated by seasonic) or april(stated on tomshardware) so either way im fine

2 hours ago, viceice said:

hmm, you can regard this as a personal question (for myself); what happens when ripple is bad at low load?

how does this psu fares in general (like normal load ripple?). are its capacitors good enough in quality?

It's decent budget PSU if we forget about high low load ripple but i wouldn't buy it for RTX2070, but since it's prebuild it would've been okay (if not for ripple).

High ripple puts the load on VRM capacitors (be it motherboard or GPU), decreasing their lifetime, possibly affecting stability too.

It was in tier B before we found out about the ripple IIRC.

The best way to assure him would probably to show a review which showed that issues and the fact that CM themselves are aware of that and the fix should be ready in next revision which have been delayed due to ongoing epidemic. But i don't have that review myself. @LukeSavenije might provide some info too.

2 hours ago, viceice said:

WTF ITS 700W ITS VERY GOOD ITS VERY EXPENSIVE

The PC as a whole ? Maybe. That particular PSU ? No, it's low-end budget PSU, like 50 EUR at most, it's no match for RTX2070.

2 hours ago, NeptuneIX said:

also maybe the issue in focus plus was fixed? Like there's like 2 people in a tech discord im in and like

AFAIK these issues weren't like 100% if you get old revision. Some people were using old Focus with Vegas just fine. I can only speculate but i suspect that this problem were more like QC or supplier related and Seasonic made some changes to their supply chain \ QVL to mitigate it in newer revisions. But again, if you don't plan to use Vega with it you'll be completely fine, the most power hungry nVidia GPU, RTX2080Ti has transient peaks 1.5x smaller than AMD Vega. And RX5700XT should be fine too (although i obviously can't say anything about future AMD or nVidia GPUs).

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

19 minutes ago, Juular said:

It's decent budget PSU if we forget about high low load ripple but i wouldn't buy it for RTX2070, but since it's prebuild it would've been okay (if not for ripple).

High ripple puts the load on VRM capacitors (be it motherboard or GPU), decreasing their lifetime, possibly affecting stability too.

It was in tier B before we found out about the ripple IIRC.

The best way to assure him would probably to show a review which showed that issues and the fact that CM themselves are aware of that and the fix should be ready in next revision which have been delayed due to ongoing epidemic. But i don't have that review myself. @LukeSavenije might provide some info too.

The PC as a whole ? Maybe. That particular PSU ? No, it's low-end budget PSU, like 50 EUR at most, it's no match for RTX2070.

AFAIK these issues weren't like 100% if you get old revision. Some people were using old Focus with Vegas just fine. I can only speculate but i suspect that this problem were more like QC or supplier related and Seasonic made some changes to their supply chain \ QVL to mitigate it in newer revisions. But again, if you don't plan to use Vega with it you'll be completely fine, the most power hungry nVidia GPU, RTX2080Ti has transient peaks 1.5x smaller than AMD Vega. And RX5700XT should be fine too (although i obviously can't say anything about future AMD or nVidia GPUs).

Tbh im just speculating here but based on the response ive gotten from people that have actually used seasonic focus plus i think that there wasn't really that big of an issue to begin with... Like it probably happened on a small group of people and then seasonic fixed it in early 2018, but people in this forum seem really adamant that it's still an issue on all focus plus which i dont think it is judging by the statements of the people that have used the focus plus with these 'high transient' GPUs...
Tbh i dont think ive seen anyone complain about having such an issue w/ the seasonic focus plus at all, it was only the statement made by seasonic that riled people up lol

https://www.teknobiyotik.com/high-power-600w-80-bronze-eco-aktif-pfc-yuksek-verimli-guc-kaynagi-hpe-600br-a12s.html

Okay, another one (this comes from my another friend)

This friend of mine (a different one) bought a preinstalled pc ( 😛 again ) about 2 months ago. It had a 2700x, rtx 2060 super.

Now he's having problems with his pc, sometimes while in gaming screen gets dark and stays like that and fans go %100 while the monitor shows signal is lost or something like hat.

i think this psu is probably very very low end, right? how likely the cause is psu? any info can be found on this unit? 

1 minute ago, NeptuneIX said:

Tbh im just speculating here but based on the response ive gotten from people that have actually used seasonic focus plus i think that there wasn't really that big of an issue to begin with... Like it probably happened on a small group of people and then seasonic fixed it in early 2018, but people in this forum seem really adamant that it's still an issue on all focus plus which i dont think it is judging by the statements of the people that have used the focus plus with these 'high transient' GPUs...

If it's an issue for *some* people then we can't recommend it to *all* people because *some* of them may end-up with issues.

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

If it's an issue for *some* people then we can't recommend it to *all* people because *some* of them may end-up with issues.

I mean yea i get what you say... but have there been actual reports of people having this issue AFTER the early 2018 fixes, i certainly havent seen people say that

2 minutes ago, NeptuneIX said:

but have there been actual reports of people having this issue AFTER the early 2018 fixes, i certainly havent seen people say that

It seems so, yes. I mean, i have seen some but they're not very prevalent.

10 minutes ago, viceice said:

i think this psu is probably very very low end, right? how likely the cause is psu? any info can be found on this unit? 

Can't find anything, maybe @OrionFOTL could help. But looking at the label it's probably group regulated which is no good. Swapping the PSU with another one (decent at least) temporarily would help in confirming your suspicions.

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

It seems so, yes. I mean, i have seen some but they're not very prevalent.

I doubt you have them at hand, I certainly haven't seen anyone mentioning that they have it personally even after googling, but even if you have seen some i wouldn't treat it as concrete proof that it's an issue thats directly connected to this specific line of PSUs(heck, the gigabyte vegas used to fail all the time), like a minority experiencing issue(which may be a separate issue than what was happening w/ the focus plus) can happen on ANY psu.
Tbh i see your point of view but this is just my opinion.
Btw its 100% a fact that mine's a focus plus right

1 minute ago, NeptuneIX said:

I doubt you have them at hand

Not going to dig them but i've seen a couple of such reports just at this forum alone with Focus V2 and new shielded cables but there are definitely a possibility that there were smth else affecting GPU stability, i don't remember exactly what were a conclusion in those threads.

9 minutes ago, Juular said:

Not going to dig them but i've seen a couple of such reports just at this forum alone with Focus V2 and new shielded cables but there are definitely a possibility that there were smth else affecting GPU stability, i don't remember exactly what were a conclusion in those threads.

sigh i dunno... i still think its not a widespread problem but having this layer of worry over my shoulder is just gonna be a pain from now on...

sigh i dunno... i still think its not a widespread problem but having this layer of worry over my shoulder is just gonna be a pain from now on...

It has 10y warranty, if you'll have any problems i pretty sure you can request a replacement. No idea how much it would cost you to ship the unit for RMA tho, you can probably ask the support right now how RMA process usually goes.

Just now, Juular said:

It has 10y warranty, if you'll have any problems i pretty sure you can request a replacement.

5 year warranty here... would've been a 7 year warranty if i had gotten the core gc... dunno i just feel disappointed 

Hello guys I have a dilema... I wanted to buy a Seasonic Focus FM 650w 80+ Gold but then I read that they had some problems with Vega cards is this now fixed? Some said it is but only for Focus Plus models? For the same price i can get SPC Supremo FM2. Which one should I get? My system is r5 2600, Vega 64, 16gb 3200mhz ram.

3 hours ago, Ktuky said:

Hello guys I have a dilema... I wanted to buy a Seasonic Focus FM 650w 80+ Gold but then I read that they had some problems with Vega cards is this now fixed? Some said it is but only for Focus Plus models? For the same price i can get SPC Supremo FM2. Which one should I get? My system is r5 2600, Vega 64, 16gb 3200mhz ram.

It was fixed presumably in v2 revision but IIRC there's no way to determine which revision you're buying. If you can't 'try-out' the Focus, i.e buy it and return if it doesn't work then get FM2, assuming you're in Poland it would be way easier to work with support then even should the need arise.

3 hours ago, Juular said:

It was fixed presumably in v2 revision but IIRC there's no way to determine which revision you're buying. If you can't 'try-out' the Focus, i.e buy it and return if it doesn't work then get FM2, assuming you're in Poland it would be way easier to work with support then even should the need arise.

what's the diff between the fixed revisions of focus plus in 2018 and the FM btw

41 minutes ago, NeptuneIX said:

what's the diff between the fixed revisions of focus plus in 2018 and the FM btw

old Focus Gold semi-modular - FM

old Focus Plus Gold fully-modular - FX

new Focus semi-modular - GM

new Focus fully-modular - GX

16 minutes ago, Juular said:

new Focus fully-mofular - GX

and to confuse everyone

old focus platinum: PX
new focus platinum: PX

41 minutes ago, Juular said:

oh ok, i wish a reviewer would actually test the 2018 versions to actually confirm that it was fixed back then tbh. Because rn there's no solid proof that it wasn't actually fixed back in 2018, or let's just say if it WASN'T fixed then we don't have conclusive proof that its fixed on the new FOCUS ones either

or let's just say if it WASN'T fixed then we don't have conclusive proof that its fixed on the new FOCUS ones either

Exactly. But Seasonic said they did fix it with Focus v2 and there are very few to no reports of problems with Vegas with them. So it's probably safe to say that at least to large degree these problems were indeed fixed.

Just now, Juular said:

Exactly. But Seasonic said they did fix it with Focus v2 and there are very few to no reports of problems with Vegas with them. So it's probably safe to say that at least to large degree these problems were indeed fixed.

Yeah... especially considering I've spoken to multiple people that have actually used vega cards and other 'high transient' cards with the focus plus PSUs in a discord I frequent.(Btw I did search through this forum and I only saw one person complaining about focus plus shutdowns w/ his vega after the revision was released in april 2018, that was in like may 2018 but for all we know he might've gotten an older revision because usually older stocks are still widely sold even after a new revision is launched)
Rly wish someone would test it to debunk it once and for all haha

1 hour ago, Juular said:

Ty, for the reply, I asked on the website right now what version are they selling and if not the v2 then I'll get supremo I hope it's a good psu as it's high in the tier list.

16 minutes ago, Ktuky said:

I asked on the website right now what version are they selling

Unlikely that they know what this means, just ask for the manufacturing date.

16 minutes ago, Ktuky said:

if not the v2 then I'll get supremo I hope it's a good psu as it's high in the tier list.

it's just not that well reviewed as Focus for example so we can't say for sure if it's on the same level. But judging by what reviews available it looks like very good PSU indeed.