[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

22 minutes ago, Kaygooo said:

You can easily ask there question in English.

First i need to make a FB account lol, which i'm not going to do frankly.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

On 10/24/2019 at 1:15 AM, LukeSavenije said:

Tier A - Recommended for <=650w high end systems

Wait wait, Gigabyte GH series is Tier A? Gee, when I last check this post, It is in Tier B. Hmm... Why? Did I miss something or am I seeing wrong back then?

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

1 minute ago, Chiyawa said:

Wait wait, Gigabyte GH series is Tier A? Gee, when I last check this post, It is in Tier B. Hmm... Why? Did I miss something or am I seeing wrong back then?

It was ... promoted. It has OTP, it's HF + LLC so it fully qualifies for tier A, it weren't there previously for subjective reasons probably (it's not exactly very high end unit anyway even still it fully qualifies for tier A).

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

it weren't there previously for subjective reasons probably

nope, we couldn't find evidence of being OTP there, which we now have

What's the difference between the Seasonic Prime Ultra and Prime GX?  Neither of them specifically are on the list, unless they're both included as just "Prime Gold"?

56 minutes ago, Netherspark said:

What's the difference between the Seasonic Prime Ultra and Prime GX?  Neither of them specifically are on the list, unless they're both included as just "Prime Gold"?

Look at the list links after Prime Gold. It shows Platinum and Titanium right next to Prime Gold. Those are the Ultra models (yes, those are two different models with the same name)

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

6 hours ago, Netherspark said:

prime gx is the new name of it, but internally they're the same thing

it's just an external design change, with some models now coming with a different set of cables

7 hours ago, MrBrightSyde said:

Look at the list links after Prime Gold. It shows Platinum and Titanium right next to Prime Gold. Those are the Ultra models (yes, those are two different models with the same name)

The Prime Ultra Gold and Prime GX should be the same as each other. The Prime Gold is different from both of those. 

:)

3 hours ago, seon123 said:

The Prime Ultra Gold and Prime GX should be the same as each other. The Prime Gold is different from both of those. 

The Prime Gold in the list is the Prime Ultra Gold, unless Seasonic has another goddamn model that's named Prime Gold (wouldn't be surprised if they did) in which case, I don't see it anywhere on the list (Prime Gold link goes to Prime Ultra Gold).

I swear, EVGA and Seasonic loving screwing around with their naming schemes. Looked it up and there is two different models. In that case, what is the difference between Prime Gold and Prime Ultra Gold?

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

5 minutes ago, MrBrightSyde said:

wouldn't be surprised if they did) in which case

Not only that, there's also two Prime Gold revisions, GD and GD2 and then there's Prime Gold Ultra GD ... again. And i have no idea what's the difference between them.

5 hours ago, Juular said:

Not only that, there's also two Prime Gold revisions, GD and GD2 and then there's Prime Gold Ultra GD ... again. And i have no idea what's the difference between them.

Hopefully this helps.

https://seasonic.com/oneseasonic

Also note that the Prime Platinum 1000W Ultra, now the Prime PX-1000, now has all the back ports with PCIE connectors, so now it has 8 (CPU/PCIE) connectors, and comes with 6 PCIE cables (all single connectors, not split).  The original one only had 6 PCIE connectors and I think came with two single connector 6+2 cables and two 6+2 / 6+2 split cables.

8 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

Hopefully this helps.

There's no PRIME non-Ultra tho but after some googling around it looks like Ultra are rather minor revision, removing in-cable caps and with slight changes to the platform. And PRIME Gold GD2 are probably just changes the box to indicate 12y warranty instead of 7+3y before that.

5 hours ago, MrBrightSyde said:

I swear, EVGA and Seasonic loving screwing around with their naming schemes. Looked it up and there is two different models. In that case, what is the difference between Prime Gold and Prime Ultra Gold?

The Prime Gold uses the same platform as all of the other Prime (non-Ultra) and Prime Ultra Titanium, and is 16 cm long. At least the lower wattage Prime Ultra Gold (and Prime Ultra Platinum) use the same platform as the Focus, but are improved, and are 14 cm long.

:)

Hi people; a friend of mine is buying a pre-built pc consisting of; rtx 2070,and ryzen 3600x

the pc containts this psu;

https://www.incehesap.com/cooler-master-mpe-7001-acabw-eu-700w-80-fanli-power-supply-fiyati-43553/

can this psu carry this system on gaming only ? (hes not going to heavy rendering or anything; he plans to stream but he will do so via a capture card). but still, i know high end gpus tend to require high quality psus for optimal operation so i wondered if this psu is capable... 

i couldnt find it on the list so i figured asking here , thanks in advance :)

30 minutes ago, viceice said:

Judging by model number 'ACABW" it's MWE V2 80+. It's in tier D because there are problems with ripple at low load, i'd recommend to replace it probably, it's not smth you want to use with RTX2070 anyway.

1 minute ago, Juular said:

Judging by model number 'ACABW" it's MWE V2 80+. It's in tier D because there are problems with ripple at low load, i'd recommend to replace it probably, it's not smth you want to use with RTX2070 anyway.

i got the enigma g2, but uh i think it doesnt show the date in the serial code unfortunately. It says 1804 which would make it the 4th month of 2018, but every review of the PSU ive seen is either 1709 or 1804 and the reviews were way past those dates... So i think its something else unfortunately

4 minutes ago, NeptuneIX said:

i got the enigma g2, but uh i think it doesnt show the date in the serial code unfortunately. It says 1804 which would make it the 4th month of 2018, but every review of the PSU ive seen is either 1709 or 1804 and the reviews were way past those dates... So i think its something else unfortunately

Focus GX, new revisions of it are based on presumably, doesn't have in-cable capacitors in PCI-e cables. Those bulky non-bendy things near the GPU end, check if they're there, if not - that's a GX revision.

1 minute ago, Juular said:

Focus GX, new revisions of it are based on presumably, doesn't have in-cable capacitors in PCI-e cables. Those bulky non-bendy things near the GPU end, check if they're there, if not - that's a GX revision.

Would you mind linking me or showing me a picture of what you mean?

2 minutes ago, NeptuneIX said:

Would you mind linking me or showing me a picture of what you mean?

L1002826.jpg.8a13bae37a6283eb0c8b018598fe1949.jpg

old FX-based Riotoro Enigma G2

https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/riotoro-enigma-850w-g2-power-supply-review/2/

vs

new GX-based Phanteks AMP

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phanteks-amp-series-650w-power-supply-review

XcyJTqEZFkfhgRnrokhu8f.jpg.6da999fad3ec5af03036666ef952e0ea.jpg

Riotoro might as well not use ribboned cables but they should be smooth, without bulges (on PCI-e cables).

Focus GX seems to use ribbon cables too in fact
seasonic-focus-px-850.thumb.jpg.c0a20d894f48dc6d3b281327f1d99ca5.jpg

1 hour ago, Juular said:

Focus GX seems to use ribbon cables too in fact
seasonic-focus-px-850.thumb.jpg.c0a20d894f48dc6d3b281327f1d99ca5.jpg

sigh... @Juular

image.png

1 hour ago, Juular said:

hmm, you can regard this as a personal question (for myself); what happens when ripple is bad at low load?

how does this psu fares in general (like normal load ripple?). are its capacitors good enough in quality?

or other way around; if its ripple was okay at low load as well, what would its tier be? is ripple at low load a huge metric when you're tiering these PSUs?

are there any higher tier psus that is bad at low load ripple but excels on other conditions?

---

im asking these questions out of curiousty completely btw. :) i will make sure try my best to convince him to get a petter psu ASAP.

but sadly, the system on its way and he really wants to use it for some time. can it quickly become a danger for the system? (like 1-3 months). since i cannot say this exactly, i cannot convince him otherwise. because the retailer he bought the pc from (incehesap) reassures him that the psu is perfectly fine and does not need any change, so he kinda doesn't want to believe me completely in a sense (the friend and his friends in general; the psu culture in turkey is horrible. 

when u say a psu is bad, they are quickly like: WTF ITS 700W ITS VERY GOOD ITS VERY EXPENSIVE ITS GOOD YOU'RE EXEGGERATING etc etc :) )