[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

47 minutes ago, aussiekendoll said:

how to find out if its 2019 version?

with the gx as example here, but the px looks similar enough to get the idea

old:

Image result for seasonic focus

new:

IMG_20191015_190831.thumb.jpg.6b08c074fb75e1c09d76cfbdf7e31bfe.jpg

58 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

with the gx as example here, but the px looks similar enough to get the idea

old:

Image result for seasonic focus

new:

IMG_20191015_190831.thumb.jpg.6b08c074fb75e1c09d76cfbdf7e31bfe.jpg

Thanks. these two links has 2019 version right?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1505896-REG/seasonic_electronics_focus_gx_850_850w_80.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1365559-REG/seasonic_electronics_ssr_750px_focus_plus_750w_platinum.html

I believe that a product can be good or work out better if it's matched to parts it was intended for! Some PSU's are intended for certain types of CPU's! I'll give you an example of this, I have a really cheap PSU Thermaltake 500W. It says Haswell Ready CPU's, so it powers a prebuilt motherboard, an HP to be exact! This computer is old now 4 years now it came with a crappy 190w PSU and so I rebuilt it 2 years ago and put all the parts in another case! It has a decent amount of load but not what I would call over 300w territory, I mean the system had only a 190w PSU before! I added the GPU and the i5 4690 and that's an 84w CPU. I upgraded from the i3 and it runs a GTX 1070. The point of me telling you all this is PSU's are sometimes like cars, sometime they are great and other times you get a lemon! I had a 500W EVGA model that I saw a Youtuber use when I rebuilt this computer, I won't throw anyone under the bus by naming them but that PSU had a really loud fan and after a couple years it died! Does that mean all EVGA PSU's are bad from that model or series!, NO! My cheap Thermaltake PSU I replaced it with is really super quiet does that mean all Thermaltake PSU's are quiet, hell NO! I seen mixed reviews! I bought the product to do my own testing because sometimes that the only way to get a definitive answer and even then if you buy the same model, your mileage may very! 

On 11/1/2019 at 8:07 PM, donut4490 said:

Isn't the EVGA G3 based on the Leadex II? Why are they in such different tiers? Trying to find a short 1000W+ PSU that won't catch on fire.

Did you ever find one?

23 minutes ago, robinsonrandy19 said:

I had a 500W EVGA model that I saw a Youtuber use when I rebuilt this computer, I won't throw anyone under the bus by naming them but that PSU had a really loud fan and after a couple years it died! Does that mean all EVGA PSU's are bad from that model or series!, NO

youtubers are notoriously bad at recommending PSUs. mostly because they dont really look into them. 

9 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

yes

no

Thanks for the reply/ Is there any sign that i can use to distinguish which is 2017 and which is 2019?

Just now, aussiekendoll said:

Thanks for the reply/ Is there any sign that i can distinguish which is 2017 and which is 2019?

as you can see, the outer design has been changed

On 2/11/2020 at 8:19 AM, SexualHealing said:

You have no reason for that.,You started accusing Seasonic long ago with no proof. Pceva a completely unknown site from China is simply the last thing you could find to try to support your misinformation, before that you were already accusing them. You are simply wrong, no known reviewer found any issue with the Focus Plus. And this one has a video of the test. Juular is as biased as he seems to trust text more than a video, 42mv too high, what an expert,.

I asked you for sources of all your claims and you never provided any proof.

pceva is quite a large website in china. if we provide proof, and say it's false, it's not our fault. it's like one of those pundits on american tv (for both parties), when facts are displayed they just deny it

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

I was planning to buy this CM MWE V2 80+ White and it was Tier B- but now it's C-? What happened?

21 minutes ago, Somedude96 said:

I was planning to buy this CM MWE V2 80+ White and it was Tier B- but now it's C-? What happened?

On 2/11/2020 at 4:23 PM, SexualHealing said:

According to this source the V2 ripple can get above ATX specs at normal loads of 25w and 300w. Based on that this is a PSU i would not recommend for any kind of computer. I know in practice how PSUs like this will silently kill a computer over time. 

https://nl.hardware.info/artikel/9871/goedkope-voedingen-round-up-300-450w-vanaf-37-euro

On 2/11/2020 at 4:33 PM, LukeSavenije said:

interesting... the overshoot was only 80mv at cyben's testing

though cm and gospower are aware of this, and for a first consumer psu this honestly isn't unexpected... fix should come around this month

edit: i had a talk with CM around this, a fix has been made, but due to problems hasn't been in production yet. the psus have been moved to tier c+ (mwe bronze v2) and tier c (mwe 80+ v2) for now, until I've seen more around the fix

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

The Philippine market is really limited when it comes to power supplies. Even Corsair CXs are pretty rare or pricey.

2 minutes ago, Somedude96 said:

The Philippine market is really limited when it comes to power supplies. Even Corsair CXs are pretty rare or pricey.

I'd ask you what system this PSU would be used at but you should rather make your own thread about it, this thread is no place for PSU recommendation. And list some online stores there we can look at.

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

I'd ask you what system this PSU would be used at but you should rather make your own thread about it, this thread is no place for PSU recommendation. And list some online stores there we can look at.

just a basic budget gaming rig. Ryzen 5 2600 + RX 580.

13 minutes ago, Somedude96 said:

cm has a fixed version for it ready, but due to problems (gospower is in china, you can probably guess) it's not in production yet

until then, i can't recommend it

14 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

cm has a fixed version for it ready, but due to problems (gospower is in china, you can probably guess) it's not in production yet

until then, i can't recommend it

I've been looking at this unit (EVGA 500BV) for a while now until learned that it operate only at 30 degree Celsius(and apparently that's a bad thing?) and this unit (FSP Hyper K 600) which offers a 5 year warranty which is surprising for it's price and it's apparently it's a successor to Hexa which is Tier D.

29 minutes ago, Somedude96 said:

only at 30 degree Celsius(and apparently that's a bad thing?

a decent unit is rated for at least 40 these days

i personally wouldn't choose either

Hey guys,

i remember seeing a post about how bad the seasonic focus is. Did they fix it? 

i can get a good deal on a focus fix 550w and I am hesitant - I am using a mid-tier system. Worth the buy or spend 1,5x on the straight power 11?

3 minutes ago, t0m.- said:

Hey guys,

i remember seeing a post about how bad the seasonic focus is. Did they fix it? 

i can get a good deal on a focus fix 550w and I am hesitant - I am using a mid-tier system. Worth the buy or spend 1,5x on the straight power 11?

Apparently they did (no data on problems with newer revision as of yet), it's different SKU, old one are Focus FX\FM (it's on the box) and newer are Focus GX\GM. Where are you buying at ?

5 minutes ago, Juular said:

Apparently they did (no data on problems with newer revision as of yet), it's different SKU, old one are Focus FX\FM (it's on the box) and newer are Focus GX\GM. Where are you buying at ?

https://notebooksbilliger.de/seasonic+focus+gx+550w+pc+netzteil+622725

it is a German site. Straight Power 11 550W is like 95€ at best, for comparison.

@Somedude96

The cheapest unit i can stand behind are CM MWE Gold, there are CM MWE Bronze V1 and Corsair CXm for just 300 PHP less so not worth the save. Can't recommend anything lower because your GPU despite being cheap and low-tier, isn't exactly low power-draw and needs decent power supply.

@t0m.-

Focus GX should be okay then. What's your specs anyway ?

6 minutes ago, Juular said:

@Somedude96

The cheapest unit i can stand behind are CM MWE Gold, there are CM MWE Bronze V1 and Corsair CXm for just 300 PHP less so not worth the save. Can't recommend anything lower because your GPU despite being cheap and low-tier, isn't exactly low power-draw and needs decent power supply.

@t0m.-

Focus GX should be okay then. What's your specs anyway ?

It might even be considered low end.

ryzen 5 3600

MSI x570-A pro

rx 5600xt

bequiet System power 7 450W (btw why is it not on the List? Which Tier would it be?)

got Lucky in a giveaway with the mobo and the gpu. 

thinking about gpu upgrade when the next gpu generation releases. Would it make any sense to go for 650W then? I feel like 550W should be enough but I have no idea if TDPs of GPUs will rise. 

19 minutes ago, t0m.- said:

bequiet System power 7 450W (btw why is it not on the List? Which Tier would it be?)

It's just quite old.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.computerbase.de%2F2013-05%2Fbe-quiet-system-power-7-450-watt-test%2F2%2F

Based on FSP Raider platform, ACRF, complete protections set, so maybe tier B+ @LukeSavenije ?

25 minutes ago, t0m.- said:

because it's too old and wasn't that popular for the time, so i never really looked into it

550w will perfectly do

8 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

because it's too old and wasn't that popular for the time, so i never really looked into it

550w will perfectly do

I am just wondering - is it even worth it to upgrade? Or would it be perfectly save and fine to stick to the system power 7?