Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

Message added by Spotty

10 minutes ago, SexualHealing said:

That quote is valid to any PSU.

Its valid for the PSU tested. 

10 minutes ago, SexualHealing said:

The ripple being seen is higher than Focus Plus

During nominal load, is the ripple sufficiently different to warrant a comment on it? Not really. 

11 minutes ago, SexualHealing said:

All previous Focuses are not good just because.

That would be an odd reason to add to the allready existing reasons that have been outlined multiple times. 

12 minutes ago, SexualHealing said:

Focus GX and the other new Focuses are good just because.

That would also be an odd reason, as comments from Aris says its fine, while also testing showing nothing is perticularly wrong. 

13 minutes ago, SexualHealing said:

Only here people rate untested and unseen ripple. 

Actually you are the only one suggesting we should rate a PSU based on the fact a different plattform PSU, carrying the same name had issues. 

Meaning you want us to rate a PSU based on data from a different PSU. A PSU that doesnt carry the same plattform.....

14 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

there's still a bit high ripple specifically on v2, since it's gospower's first atx psu, this wasn't entirely unexpected. cm is currently busy with a fix, but we're talking about ~80mv here at 10% load, but a fix should be ready in the coming month

According to this source the V2 ripple can get above ATX specs at normal loads of 25w and 300w. Based on that this is a PSU i would not recommend for any kind of computer. I know in practice how PSUs like this will silently kill a computer over time. 

https://nl.hardware.info/artikel/9871/goedkope-voedingen-round-up-300-450w-vanaf-37-euro

Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, SexualHealing said:

According to this source the V2 ripple can get above ATX specs at normal loads of 25w and 300w

interesting... the overshoot was only 80mv at cyben's testing

though cm and gospower are aware of this, and for a first consumer psu this honestly isn't unexpected... fix should come around this month

edit: i had a talk with CM around this, a fix has been made, but due to problems hasn't been in production yet. the psus have been moved to tier c+ (mwe bronze v2) and tier c (mwe 80+ v2) for now, until I've seen more around the fix

PSU Tier List 4.0//Motherboard Tier List//Community Standards//ATX Specification//Group Regulation//Topologies and Regulations//How many watts?//PSU Protections

Don't forget to quote or mention me

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k 5.0ghz

GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming

RAM: 2x8 3333 mhz DDR4 Trident Z

MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC

HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint HD103SI

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB

Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB (modified)

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX650

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 Slim Glacier White 500 GB

PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 GB

PS3 Super Slim 500 GB

PS2 OG

Xbox OG

DS Lite White

DS Lite Black/blue

DS Lite Blue

DSI XL Orange

Gameboy Advanced Color

PS Vita v2

Wii

1 minute ago, aussiekendoll said:

Is be quiet! Straight power 11 that good? Should I buy be quiet! Straight power 11 or seasonic focus px? 650W

if it's the px, make sure it's the 2019 version, not the 2017

at 650w, both will be perfect options, depending on how much you pay for them

PSU Tier List 4.0//Motherboard Tier List//Community Standards//ATX Specification//Group Regulation//Topologies and Regulations//How many watts?//PSU Protections

Primary PC:

Spoiler

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS3 Super Slim 500 GB

PS2 OG

Xbox OG

DS Lite White

DS Lite Black/blue

DS Lite Blue

DSI XL Orange

Gameboy Advanced Color

PS Vita v2

Wii

3 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

though cm and gospower are aware of this, and for a first consumer psu this honestly isn't unexpected... fix should come around this month

edit: i had a talk with CM around this, a fix has been made, but due to problems hasn't been in production yet. the psus have been moved to tier c+ (mwe bronze v2) and tier c (mwe 80+ v2) for now, until I've seen more around the fix

Regarding Focus Plus. Look at this test, the link is direct to the protection review page but there is a full review: https://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/seasonic_focus_gold/s08.php

It is the Seasonic Focus Plus 650 Gold

OPP is trigged at 870W

OCP for the 12v is also trigged at 870w

Both with no issues according to the reviewer. 

There is a video of the review, i don`t unsderstand his language but he tested ripple at 120% and the ripple at 120% seems to be 42mv only.  Someone who can understand German could confirm this.

I d

8 minutes ago, SexualHealing said:

There is a video of the review, i don`t unsderstand his language but he tested ripple at 120% and the ripple at 120% seems to be 42mv only

Which is still kinda high which might be a sign that platform in general isn't very good at overload ripple so it might be worse with other samples (as with one in that Chinese review).

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

28 minutes ago, Juular said:

Which is still kinda high which might be a sign that platform in general isn't very good at overload ripple so it might be worse with other samples (as with one in that Chinese review).

Are you serious? ATX spec is 120mv... 42mv at 120% is ridiculously low, you will hardly find anything better than that even in more expensive PSUs, 

@SexualHealing i'm cutting this off for now

I'm aware of tweakpc's testing in this, as I've spoken before with Robert and Poiu, and they've already told me about the testing. I speak a little German so i could understand what's been said here, but I'm rather safe than sorry when these kinds of issues are found and there's theoretical reason to why this could be. Focus 2019 will keep it's position, focus 2017 will keep it's position.

we could go on and on about this, but it's the decision I made with the rest of the team at the time, and since the 2017 line is now out of production, i really see no reason to move it in the first place. I'm already trying to inform at some oems if they are switching to GX/GM/PX or not, to adjust if they can confirm me so.

thanks for your time, but this is the choice that's made here

Primary PC:

Spoiler

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS3 Super Slim 500 GB

PS2 OG

Xbox OG

DS Lite White

DS Lite Black/blue

DS Lite Blue

DSI XL Orange

Gameboy Advanced Color

PS Vita v2

Wii

9 minutes ago, SexualHealing said:

Are you serious? ATX spec is 120mv... 42mv at 120% is ridiculously low, you will hardly find anything better than that even in more expensive PSUs, 

Yeah, i might've been spoiled by Corsair RMx 8mV ripple at 110% but other common platforms including Focus GX seem to have about 35-40mV ripple at 110% too. Regardless, ripple isn't the only issue with Focus FX and it's likely that shutdown issues it were tiered down because aren't related to ripple at all. There are no use in the further discussion about this matter, everything were said already, and it's position wouldn't change.

38 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

@SexualHealing i'm cutting this off for now

I'm aware of tweakpc's testing in this, as I've spoken before with Robert and Poiu, and they've already told me about the testing. I speak a little German so i could understand what's been said here, but I'm rather safe than sorry when these kinds of issues are found and there's theoretical reason to why this could be. Focus 2019 will keep it's position, focus 2017 will keep it's position.

we could go on and on about this, but it's the decision I made with the rest of the team at the time, and since the 2017 line is now out of production, i really see no reason to move it in the first place. I'm already trying to inform at some oems if they are switching to GX/GM/PX or not, to adjust if they can confirm me so.

thanks for your time, but this is the choice that's made here

You have no reason for that.,You started accusing Seasonic long ago with no proof. Pceva a completely unknown site from China is simply the last thing you could find to try to support your misinformation, before that you were already accusing them. You are simply wrong, no known reviewer found any issue with the Focus Plus. And this one has a video of the test. Juular is as biased as he seems to trust text more than a video, 42mv too high, what an expert,.

I asked you for sources of all your claims and you never provided any proof.

6 minutes ago, SexualHealing said:

asked you for sources of all your claims and you never provided any proof

as i said, i end discussion here

Primary PC:

Spoiler

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS3 Super Slim 500 GB

PS2 OG

Xbox OG

DS Lite White

DS Lite Black/blue

DS Lite Blue

DSI XL Orange

Gameboy Advanced Color

PS Vita v2

Wii

13 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

if it's the px, make sure it's the 2019 version, not the 2017

at 650w, both will be perfect options, depending on how much you pay for them

how to find out if its 2019 version?

47 minutes ago, aussiekendoll said:

how to find out if its 2019 version?

with the gx as example here, but the px looks similar enough to get the idea

old:

Image result for seasonic focus

new:

IMG_20191015_190831.thumb.jpg.6b08c074fb75e1c09d76cfbdf7e31bfe.jpg

Primary PC:

Spoiler

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS3 Super Slim 500 GB

PS2 OG

Xbox OG

DS Lite White

DS Lite Black/blue

DS Lite Blue

DSI XL Orange

Gameboy Advanced Color

PS Vita v2

Wii

58 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

with the gx as example here, but the px looks similar enough to get the idea

old:

Image result for seasonic focus

new:

IMG_20191015_190831.thumb.jpg.6b08c074fb75e1c09d76cfbdf7e31bfe.jpg

Thanks. these two links has 2019 version right?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1505896-REG/seasonic_electronics_focus_gx_850_850w_80.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1365559-REG/seasonic_electronics_ssr_750px_focus_plus_750w_platinum.html

Primary PC:

Spoiler

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS3 Super Slim 500 GB

PS2 OG

Xbox OG

DS Lite White

DS Lite Black/blue

DS Lite Blue

DSI XL Orange

Gameboy Advanced Color

PS Vita v2

Wii

I believe that a product can be good or work out better if it's matched to parts it was intended for! Some PSU's are intended for certain types of CPU's! I'll give you an example of this, I have a really cheap PSU Thermaltake 500W. It says Haswell Ready CPU's, so it powers a prebuilt motherboard, an HP to be exact! This computer is old now 4 years now it came with a crappy 190w PSU and so I rebuilt it 2 years ago and put all the parts in another case! It has a decent amount of load but not what I would call over 300w territory, I mean the system had only a 190w PSU before! I added the GPU and the i5 4690 and that's an 84w CPU. I upgraded from the i3 and it runs a GTX 1070. The point of me telling you all this is PSU's are sometimes like cars, sometime they are great and other times you get a lemon! I had a 500W EVGA model that I saw a Youtuber use when I rebuilt this computer, I won't throw anyone under the bus by naming them but that PSU had a really loud fan and after a couple years it died! Does that mean all EVGA PSU's are bad from that model or series!, NO! My cheap Thermaltake PSU I replaced it with is really super quiet does that mean all Thermaltake PSU's are quiet, hell NO! I seen mixed reviews! I bought the product to do my own testing because sometimes that the only way to get a definitive answer and even then if you buy the same model, your mileage may very! 

On 11/1/2019 at 8:07 PM, donut4490 said:

Isn't the EVGA G3 based on the Leadex II? Why are they in such different tiers? Trying to find a short 1000W+ PSU that won't catch on fire.

Did you ever find one?

23 minutes ago, robinsonrandy19 said:

I had a 500W EVGA model that I saw a Youtuber use when I rebuilt this computer, I won't throw anyone under the bus by naming them but that PSU had a really loud fan and after a couple years it died! Does that mean all EVGA PSU's are bad from that model or series!, NO

youtubers are notoriously bad at recommending PSUs. mostly because they dont really look into them. 

Just now, aussiekendoll said:

Thanks for the reply/ Is there any sign that i can distinguish which is 2017 and which is 2019?

as you can see, the outer design has been changed

Primary PC:

Spoiler

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS3 Super Slim 500 GB

PS2 OG

Xbox OG

DS Lite White

DS Lite Black/blue

DS Lite Blue

DSI XL Orange

Gameboy Advanced Color

PS Vita v2

Wii

On 2/11/2020 at 8:19 AM, SexualHealing said:

You have no reason for that.,You started accusing Seasonic long ago with no proof. Pceva a completely unknown site from China is simply the last thing you could find to try to support your misinformation, before that you were already accusing them. You are simply wrong, no known reviewer found any issue with the Focus Plus. And this one has a video of the test. Juular is as biased as he seems to trust text more than a video, 42mv too high, what an expert,.

I asked you for sources of all your claims and you never provided any proof.

pceva is quite a large website in china. if we provide proof, and say it's false, it's not our fault. it's like one of those pundits on american tv (for both parties), when facts are displayed they just deny it

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List 4.0 | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3 | EVGA BR/BT? no. noooo. | buy (almost) anything except focus

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | Sapphire NITRO+ AMD RX VEGA 64 | NZXT H510 | GIGABYTE G750H PSU | MasterLiquid ML240L

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

AMD FX-8120 | Asus M5A97 | 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1866 | ASUS DirectCUII HD 7970 3G | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M | Hyper 212 Black RGB Edition

Daily Driver Laptop (HP Elitebook 850 G2)/Gaming Laptop (Legion Y7000)

Spoiler

Elitebook: i7 5500U | 8GB DDR3L-1333 | 500GB SAMSUNG 860 Evo | AMD R7 M260 (I found this in a garbage bin at the airport)

Legion: i5 8300H | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 1050 Ti | Power Brick (Not often used anymore, only for travelling)

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

21 minutes ago, Somedude96 said:

I was planning to buy this CM MWE V2 80+ White and it was Tier B- but now it's C-? What happened?

On 2/11/2020 at 4:23 PM, SexualHealing said:

According to this source the V2 ripple can get above ATX specs at normal loads of 25w and 300w. Based on that this is a PSU i would not recommend for any kind of computer. I know in practice how PSUs like this will silently kill a computer over time. 

https://nl.hardware.info/artikel/9871/goedkope-voedingen-round-up-300-450w-vanaf-37-euro

On 2/11/2020 at 4:33 PM, LukeSavenije said:

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

The Philippine market is really limited when it comes to power supplies. Even Corsair CXs are pretty rare or pricey.