[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

5 hours ago, huangorino said:

Came to here because looking to get a new psu.

No sure why it under "TIER E - DANGEROUS" XDD

but I got myself Corsair VS650 back then in 2014 and it only started to occur problem (power on problem) last month after I changed RTX 2060

My system:

i7 4790, 16GB DDR3,

from GTX 650 > 950 > 1060 > 2060

PC powered on at least 6 hours per day now, back then 24/7 in my 3 years of college year.

Thanks "TIER E" psu for serving me for more than 6 years. XD

Tier list isn't based on how long a PSU will last. 6 years means nothing.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Is there an easy way to tell apart the old corcsair cx from the better 2017 version?

1 minute ago, Lucolate said:

Is there an easy way to tell apart the old corcsair cx from the better 2017 version?

the old cx had a black label with green letters

the new one has a gray label with black letters

I see that the list is becoming more and more misleading with each new update. Now you say that psu's from tier A take for example Asus Thor 1200W is not suitable for systems >650W even if it has 1200W declared wattage *facepalm*.

1 minute ago, Kaygooo said:

I see that the list is becoming more and more misleading with each new update. Now you say that psu's from tier A take for example Asus Thor 1200W is not suitable for systems >650W even if it has 1200W declared wattage *facepalm*.

can you read the word "recommended"? i never said required here

3 minutes ago, Kaygooo said:

It's recommended, not required. And if you ask me, if you built 1200W PC spending thousands of dollars on it already (that would be nothing short of top-tier TR\HEDT plus 2\3 high-end GPUs), spending some extra 50-70$ on digital multi-rail unit (which all happen to be Corsair) would be just the drop in the ocean. With 650W it's not that definite, but again, it's not a requirement.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

38 minutes ago, Kaygooo said:

You can make a bad PSU in any wattage. Being 1200 watts doesn't guarantee it runs with the best of them, and still, tier A is a great tier. But again, the criteria for the tiers are clear, and it does not meet tier A+ criteria (again, unless you have some information regarding otherwise)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Poked around Russian websites, and found two A+ options that can be shipped to me for fairly reasonable price: Enermax Revolution D.F. and DeepCool GamerStorm DQ-M, both are available as 650W and 750W. I know @Juular recommended DeepCool DQ-M, but judging from reviews, these two are nearly identical. Which one should I go for?

Okay, any reason to get 750W, or 650W should be sufficient even at heavy load? I use my PC for rendering in Cinema 4D/After Effects, and plan to try Blender with GPU-supported engine as well. i7 6700K 4.6Ghz / RTX 2080 Ti.

27 minutes ago, Nlelith said:

Okay, any reason to get 750W, or 650W should be sufficient even at heavy load? I use my PC for rendering in Cinema 4D/After Effects, and plan to try Blender with GPU-supported engine as well. i7 6700K 4.6Ghz / RTX 2080 Ti.

Possibly somewhat less noise (if there would be any from the PSU in the first place), that's it. How much would these PSUs cost you to ship from Russia anyway ?

Well, I do leave my PC on throughout the night while rendering long scenes, so less noise is better. 750W it is. Thanks for your help, guys!

You are encouraged to discuss and debate placements of power supplies on the list, however when discussing this, please remain civil and keep the conversation constructive. Be respectful towards others who have a different opinion and have a mature discussion over why you feel something should be changed or left the same. This applies to both sides of the debate. No sarcastic type comments or dismissing people as "fanboys" or "haters".

As per the Community Standards ;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

• No harassment, discrimination or abuse of any kind.
    • This includes insults and accusations (fanboy, troll, shill etc).

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Please do not post "Check the PSU tier list" style replies in response to other threads on the forum unless it is appropriate to do so.

This includes unhelpful replies directing users to the PSU tier list in response to:

• Threads asking for help with troubleshooting issues (both related and not related to the power supply)
  • Threads asking for help choosing between a selection of power supplies to choose from that are;
    • Not included in the PSU tier list, or
    • Ranked in the same tier in the PSU tier list (thus the tier list offers not extra insight)
  • Threads asking for help with PSU queries that aren't within the scope of the PSU tier list, eg.
    • "Where to buy custom sleeved cables?"
    • "is it better to have a power supply with a semi-fanless mode or fan that always spins?"
    • "Do capacitors in power supplies degrade over time?"
  • and in general where no other input is offered other than "Check the PSU tier list" (this is akin to "lmgtfy" style posts)
  • As well as rude comments in the style of "Did you even bother checking the PSU tier list before asking for help?!"

Posts directing users to the power supply tier list that provide no contribution or help such as the ones described above are considered pointless and unhelpful and may be removed.

You may still link to the PSU tier list when it is appropriate to do so and when it contributes to the discussion.
For example if someone posts asking "Is there a way to quickly compare power supplies against each other without reading through reviews for all of them?" it would be appropriate to direct them to the PSU tier list. Likewise if you are already providing assistance to someone choosing a power supply and would like to reference the PSU Tier List for additional information to what you are already providing or as your reason for suggesting one PSU over another then that is also appropriate.

You may also link to the PSU Tier List and other helpful threads on the forum in your forum signature.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Nlelith said:

I have the DQ-M 650 and it's very quiet, practically silent.

And btw, the 750w units are likely to run louder as they tend to have more aggressive fan curves. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

56 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

And btw, the 750w units are likely to run louder as they tend to have more aggressive fan curves. ;)

Hmmm

DQM.png.f164f9f5cc4b01e5e00dc0c5cec4bc02.png

15 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

on the legacy-legacy list it is located at Tier A. dont know how that would translate to today. 

do you need 1600w? because you can go for higher end powersupplies that are a little less wattage around the same price. 

Well, considering that running both of my HD 4870x2s are just shy of maxing out my 1000w unit when running them stock with my overclocked Phenom II X6 1090T, I need a bigger unit or two units to be able to power my torture box. Since I want everything to easily fit in my Corsair Air 540, I'd like to keep it to a single unit. Eventually, I want to upgrade my torture box to either X58 or X79 so I can keep enough pcie lanes to get the most bandwidth for quad-SLI and Quadfire.

13 hours ago, Juular said:

Full-bridge, complete protections set but can't find any info of whether it supports c6\c7 power states, probably not since it were released in 2013 but it may still be able to cope with c6\c7 crossloads, so if it does it would've been at tier A. Although, if you have any other options from tier A\A+ with maybe 1200W (enough for two RTX2080TI's with Threadripper) i'd recommend to pick them instead.

Ideally, I'd want to get a EVGA Supernova P2/T2 1600w or Corsair AXi 1600w but those cost well over double the Lepa G-series 1600w and I don't plan on using the rig for more than 10 hours a week, if that. I just want a budget friendly option to be able to power some old flagships I want to see what I can do. If I'm gonna collect working gpus, I might as well see how far I can push them under the best non-specialized cooling (i.e. Dice, LN2, Phase change).

6 hours ago, Troika said:

I'd want to get a EVGA Supernova P2/T2 1600w or Corsair AXi 1600w but those cost well over double the Lepa G-series 1600w

It never worth saving on the PSU if you're unsure about it's quality, while 170$ for 1.6kW unit sounds good, as already said it's very old one and i'd recommend 1.3kW Seasonic PRIME Gold over it any day (220$), should be enough for two 450W GPUs and some 400W change for the CPU and other components, and even then there's about 30% headroom over rated power so it'll certainly handle smth even more powerful (as almost all other PSUs in tier A and up).

I'm deciding between a Corsair RM750x (2018) or a Seasonic Focus Px 750. (The Corsair its 10 bucks cheaper)

This is my setup, brand new: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tLsLFG
With my old EVGA 1000 G (120 G1 1000 VR) it worked fine, but I bought a be quiet! Straight Power 11 and the coil whine.. Pc turned off was loud, turned on was louder and playing games was unbearable. I already returned it.
I used the tier list and read trough several comments, those 2 are the only ones I'm interested in that are available for me. (Not sure about giving be quiet! a second chance...) and yes, I want it to be 750 w.

Thanks in advance!

4 minutes ago, Regnier said:

I'm deciding between a Corsair RM750x (2018) or a Seasonic Focus Px 750. (The Corsair its 10 bucks cheaper)

Corsair then. But you don't need 750W for this, 550\650W would be enough for the most high-end build if it's solely for gaming purposes.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was going for a 650 w, but I noticed that my mobo has an extra 4 pin atx 12v connector, for extreme CPU wattage. I know I will NEVER need so much power for that but... I'm really picky in useless stuff like that. Probably will toss a coin between rm650x and rm750x.

On 2/6/2020 at 8:49 AM, Kaygooo said:

not suitable for systems >650W 

Maybe you mean 

suitable for systems <650W

Edited by wkdpaul

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

4 hours ago, Juular said:

It never worth saving on the PSU if you're unsure about it's quality, while 170$ for 1.6kW unit sounds good, as already said it's very old one and i'd recommend 1.3kW Seasonic PRIME Gold over it any day (220$), should be enough for two 450W GPUs and some 400W change for the CPU and other components, and even then there's about 30% headroom over rated power so it'll certainly handle smth even more powerful (as almost all other PSUs in tier A and up).

That's a good point. I suppose it would have been a good buy 8 years ago but it probably isn't nowadays. I'll just save up for something solidly reliable like an AXi 1600 or Supernova P2/T2 1600. It'll cost more but at the end of the day, it's a more reliable unit that'll stand up to the abuse and heavy loads and probably outlive the bench I put it in.

2 minutes ago, Troika said:

That's a good point. I suppose it would have been a good buy 8 years ago but it probably isn't nowadays. I'll just save up for something solidly reliable like an AXi 1600 or Supernova P2/T2 1600. It'll cost more but at the end of the day, it's a more reliable unit that'll stand up to the abuse and heavy loads and probably outlive the bench I put it in.

Thing is unless you'll have more than two insanely power-hungry GPUs (300-400W) in your system, 1.3kW PSU would be more than enough. And the reliability or durability of PSU doesn't depend on it's wattage.

4 minutes ago, Troika said:

assuming you're in the us, you can currently get this one, which should perfectly do

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/n3rG3C/antec-power-supply-hcp1300platinum